Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

2 heart attacks on track

Do you mind going into a little detail here? Like, were they riding while it happened or was this older guys just wandering around the pit or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

Downside: Crashed. Upside: Naked conversion.

This is what I was thinking. The headlight assemblies are almost the same m the price but getting a mounting bracket for the naked will be cheaper than replacing the fairings.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
I know of one guy who died on a bike. He was a guy in my NG Unit and died on the dragon doing squid stuff like wearing only a helmet and gloves and riding way over his limit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pope Mobile posted:

This is what I was thinking. The headlight assemblies are almost the same m the price but getting a mounting bracket for the naked will be cheaper than replacing the fairings.

Yeap. All that I broke on my headlight assy was one mounting tab that stuck off but there was no way to reattach it. 260 or w/e for the assy or 300 for the naked kit IIRC. That guy on the fz6 forum might still be doing them.

Oglogoth posted:

I know of one guy who died on a bike. He was a guy in my NG Unit and died on the dragon doing squid stuff like wearing only a helmet and gloves and riding way over his limit.

They started keep track of them when multiple deaths were happening every year. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/map_deaths.pdf

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Do you mind going into a little detail here? Like, were they riding while it happened or was this older guys just wandering around the pit or what?

Yeah, it's happened twice when I've been at trackdays. First time was when I had judt started riding - 80ish year old guy just went straight off a slow corner and fell over in the dirt - he was dead when they got to him.

Other guy was about a year or so ago (maybe 2?) just fell off his bike going down the straight, they redflagged and again by the time they got to him he was already gone.

Oh, and there was one time some loving idiot highsided his bike in the pits while not wearing a helmet and caught his own footpeg to his head. That was my 2nd or 3rd trackday.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Oh, and there was one time some loving idiot highsided his bike in the pits while not wearing a helmet and caught his own footpeg to his head. That was my 2nd or 3rd trackday.
Jesus christ.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Yeah, it's happened twice when I've been at trackdays. First time was when I had judt started riding - 80ish year old guy just went straight off a slow corner and fell over in the dirt - he was dead when they got to him.

Other guy was about a year or so ago (maybe 2?) just fell off his bike going down the straight, they redflagged and again by the time they got to him he was already gone.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Those are pretty crazy.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

An 80 year old riding at a track though? Hell yeah!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We got some pretty old dudes in our club, 70s maybe. I don't think any of them are dumb enough to highside in the pits.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Opinions on this Chinese knockoff naked conversion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEADLIGHT-S...%3D261636135604

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

nsaP posted:

They started keep track of them when multiple deaths were happening every year. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/map_deaths.pdf

His was august 4th, 2012 so I wonder how often that map is updated.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I only know one person who's died from a crash but my best friend was riding lovely so he and another friend stopped for lunch where he then had a heart attack and died.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Insurance says I need to take my bike to a shop for repair estimates. They'll cover all of it minute 500 four my deductible. My liability covers the other guy's car. My rates don't go up due to motorcycle accidents or tickets.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

Insurance says I need to take my bike to a shop for repair estimates. They'll cover all of it minute 500 four my deductible. My liability covers the other guy's car. My rates don't go up due to motorcycle accidents or tickets.

Not sure I believe that last bit.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Talked to my agent and I asked her how much my rates will go up. She said they won't. Might have something to do with insurance not being required for motorcycles in WA.

Roguestick
Aug 18, 2013
So I was driving around the same roundabout that I have ridden through at least once a week since I started riding a few months ago, and my back tire slid out from under me. I was only going 10-15mph and had all my gear on so no damage on me.

My bike has frame sliders, so I think the only part that got damaged was my rear wheel spool digging into the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Post pics of your rear tyre ITT.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Still good for rolling burnouts, now they shoot sparks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Look at all that good rubber on the walls, you pussy.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Today I moved over for a kamikaze lane splitter that had a similar tire.
Bump bump bumping over lane markers with your cloth tire substrate while going 50mph between stopped cars is a whole lotta stupid.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got everything quoted Wednesday and sent the info into the insurance company. The woman on the phone says it takes a couple of days to go over everything, and then they'll send me a approval or denial for everything. If they reimburse the cost of the quote and cover everything, I'm looking at around $1,200 after my deductible. More than enough for a naked conversion.
Mechanic said it's all cosmetic damage. The bike itself is fine. My rear shock is leaking and my forks need to be serviced, but that's normal stuff. They quoted me at servicing the suspension being ~$500 with me bringing it all in off the bike.
I really hope they get back to me by COB today so I don't have to sit here over the weekend wondering if they'll approve everything.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Tossed the Ducati down the track at ~60mph today. I'll post a story when I have time along with some pictures. :lol:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jaysus. You alright?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I'm good. Helmet didn't touch the deck, leathers did their job, and my left palm is a little sore but other than that everything went as well as could be hoped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
:(

What's broken on the bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did it burst into flame?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyhow, I lowsided at the entrance of 14 during the last lap of a 20 minute session.

Really weird place to go down and I never expected to there. I'm not entirely sure what happened yet but I was carrying corner speed and lean angles I never have before by a large margin for a couple of sessions. It would have have to have been right after transitioning from right to left and I'm sure it was under throttle since I don't brake through these two corners. The Duc makes it easy to carry corner speed and is a shitload easier to learn than an inline 4. Pirelli Diablo Superbikes go on for the next trackday... I think I'm done with street rubber.

Anyhow - clipon, clutch lever, fairing support wing, rearset, shift lever and we are in business. Got the fairing but it's just rashed, the tank has a tiny bit of rash on the corner, and the tail fairing is trashed.

Slavvy posted:

Did it burst into flame?

No. I'm glad it didn't. :v:

Z3n posted:

:(

What's broken on the bike?

It's not too bad.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 10, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That looks like a p. sweet track

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have a fairing support wing I won't need - pull it apart and check the headlight assembly for cracking though too.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyhow, I lowsided at the entrance of 14 during the last lap of a 20 minute session.

Really weird place to go down and I never expected to there. I'm not entirely sure what happened yet but I was carrying corner speed and lean angles I never have before by a large margin for a couple of sessions. It would have have to have been right after transitioning from right to left and I'm sure it was under throttle since I don't brake through these two corners. The Duc makes it easy to carry corner speed and is a shitload easier to learn than an inline 4. Pirelli Diablo Superbikes go on for the next trackday... I think I'm done with street rubber.

Anyhow - clipon, clutch lever, fairing support wing, rearset, shift lever and we are in business. Got the fairing but it's just rashed, the tank has a tiny bit of rash on the corner, and the tail fairing is trashed.

No. I'm glad it didn't. :v:

It's not too bad.

Oh man, that sucks dude. Maybe I shouldn't have touched your bike :v: Glad to see you're ok though. If you need help with anything let me know.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Sucks, man. Pics don't look too bad though, was expecting worse.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jose Pointero posted:

Sucks, man. Pics don't look too bad though, was expecting worse.

Yeah, it's not bad at all. :)

Schroeder91 posted:

Oh man, that sucks dude. Maybe I shouldn't have touched your bike :v: Glad to see you're ok though. If you need help with anything let me know.

Haw :v: I think the cursed one is me. :) Nah, just push too hard.

Z3n posted:

I have a fairing support wing I won't need - pull it apart and check the headlight assembly for cracking though too.

poo poo yeah. :) I doubt the assembly is damaged because the wing was previously broken and JBWelded together but I'll check it out tomorrow. I'll buy yours off of you.

nsaP posted:

That looks like a p. sweet track

It's not bad, I just wish for a flowing Cali-style track here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Bummer about the bike, but I'm glad you're ok. Didn't you just buy this bike a month or two ago?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Time to go back to Suzukis? They're meant for that stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Time to go back to Suzukis? They're meant for that stuff.

Meh.

Chichevache posted:

Bummer about the bike, but I'm glad you're ok. Didn't you just buy this bike a month or two ago?

Yeah. Bought it, week later a trackday, three weeks after that another trackday / crash. It was more or less the answer for a compromise that involved moving to something with less power and a twin that wasn't a SV. I like it a lot. A lot.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 10, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

The Duc makes it easy to carry corner speed and is a shitload easier to learn than an inline 4.

Can you elaborate on why this is the case? Is it just because of the more predictable torque curve?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
With the exception of the tail section, it looks like some aftermarket rearsets, some clip ons, pegs and new grips will be all it needs. After my lowside, the Vortex rearset non folding pegs ground down half way of solid metal, and took the brunt of the damage. It was a $22 part, can't recommend them enough.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Can you elaborate on why this is the case? Is it just because of the more predictable torque curve?

Yes and the power doesn't feel the same so you're not overbraking (relative) into corners when you come in with 14k revs so you can focus on carrying speed into the corner, the Ducati is very stable mid corner, and on exit the power is smooth and tire spinups are easier to deal with. You quickly realize that you're not going to pull an inline 4 down a straight so your best option for passing is to get a drive on them leaving a corner, stick with them / lose some ground in the straight (sit there with your thumb up your rear end if it's a liter bike), and take them under braking and corner entrance. I could be completely wrong, this is my first v-twin, first bike with less than 100whp, and my first two trackdays on it.

xaarman posted:

With the exception of the tail section, it looks like some aftermarket rearsets, some clip ons, pegs and new grips will be all it needs. After my lowside, the Vortex rearset non folding pegs ground down half way of solid metal, and took the brunt of the damage. It was a $22 part, can't recommend them enough.
Yeah, I'll be buying used junk for everything except for a set of Woodcraft rearsets. :) I think I'll leave the plastics alone for now because the side is fine and the tail can be 'massaged' back into place. I have a Bioposto tail in the garage for the street too so it's not that big of a deal.

I wish I was running a GoPro so I could figure out exactly what happened. I don't want to blame the tires because people have gone far faster than I ever will on street tires. It was just a very weird place to go down and a very weird set of circumstances. Just *poof* and I'm sliding thinking "haha, are you loving serious?" Last time I knew exactly what I did wrong.
That and my tipover sensor doesn't work since the bike was still running after I finished sliding and ran over to hit the kill switch.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes and the power doesn't feel the same so you're not overbraking (relative) into corners when you come in with 14k revs so you can focus on carrying speed into the corner, the Ducati is very stable mid corner, and on exit the power is smooth and tire spinups are easier to deal with. You quickly realize that you're not going to pull an inline 4 down a straight so your best option for passing is to get a drive on them leaving a corner, stick with them / lose some ground in the straight (sit there with your thumb up your rear end if it's a liter bike), and take them under braking and corner entrance. I could be completely wrong, this is my first v-twin, first bike with less than 100whp, and my first two trackdays on it.

The 749/999 series has one of the best chassis I've ever experienced. Just so comforting and stable. But I think that largely riding twins is a bit less of a frentic experience - riding my buddy's R6 reminded me of everything I hate about most 600s, it's razor sharp and demands absolute focus to get around a track quickly. The 999 (and the 1290, for that matter) are both much less "busy" and forgiving when you're riding them. God forbid you get out of the powerband on an R6, god forbid you give it the slightest imprecise input, cause it will go exactly where you tell it even if you didn't mean to.

quote:

Yeah, I'll be buying used junk for everything except for a set of Woodcraft rearsets. :) I think I'll leave the plastics alone for now because the side is fine and the tail can be 'massaged' back into place. I have a Bioposto tail in the garage for the street too so it's not that big of a deal.
I've got an extra set of tail plastics too if you want them - both fiberglass stuff and some OEM stuff with a crappy paintjob on it, mine's going into pretty much full track mode.

quote:

I wish I was running a GoPro so I could figure out exactly what happened. I don't want to blame the tires because people have gone far faster than I ever will on street tires. It was just a very weird place to go down and a very weird set of circumstances. Just *poof* and I'm sliding thinking "haha, are you loving serious?" Last time I knew exactly what I did wrong.
That and my tipover sensor doesn't work since the bike was still running after I finished sliding and ran over to hit the kill switch.

Here's the thing though - you can be going slower around the track, but faster in high risk places. I think it was Andretti that said something along the lines of "You can always tell the new F1 drivers because they're trying to go fast in the corners and they go slower on the straights". A large part of what makes a fast lap has very little to do with cornerspeed and a lot to do with how you get off the corner. It's one of the reasons I love high horsepower bikes on the track these days, I can turn a very fast lap with minimal drama and risk by simply choosing lines that maximize exit drive and focus on building to that, vs. a high cornerspeed, high entry speed, minimal exit drive bike like the RS125. It's also how you see really fast guys run outlaps on cold tires faster than most people's flying laps, they're cornerparking and getting insane drive out of the corners while minimizing high risk time spent leaned over on cold tires.

• Locked thread