Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hihohe posted:

So what do taurox's have over a regular chimera. Im thinking of getting one or seven.

IMO, not much. Standard ones are slightly cheaper than regular Chimeras, and effectively come with built-in dozer blades, but the trade-offs are pretty severe. Worse armor, worse fire points, worse transport capacity, fewer guns, and you can't tank shock, ram, or issue orders out of it. The Taurox Prime is a little better at BS4 with better weapons, but it's subsequently a lot more expensive and can only be taken by Stormtrooper squads. Honestly, not a huge fan. I'm also not that big on Stormtroopers either, simply because I've always felt that they're just too expensive and not powerful enough for their gimmick, and if I wanted to take a deep-strike threat I'd just take Elysians who can come in on turn one. But I'll be honest, I've only used Stormtroopers very rarely (And not since the new codex came out) and nobody I know has ever fielded Tauroxes, so if anyone has any personal experience with them feel free to call me an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

While I'd never field one because of the reasons above I still kinda want to get a Taurox for building purposes and make it into a pretty much an MRAP with a wheel conversion.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Crosspostin'. Forgive the phone pics I'm just glad to have something finished.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hell yeah! You're doin Tyranids right.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh man I am so jealous.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sex Cannon posted:

Who are these guys?

From my evening with them at Ye Old Trippe to Jerusalem pub last Thursday night...

From left to right..

John French (Black Library Author: Ahriman:Exile, Ahriman:Sorcerer, countless short stories)
Ead Brown (Former Forge World Customer Care Manager, Black Library Editor, now working elsewhere)
Aaron Dembski-Bowden (Black Library Author: The Talon of Horus, Night Lords Trilogy, Cadian Blood, etc)
Alan Bligh (Forge World Author: Tons of Imperial Armour books as well as all of the Horus Heresy Forge World books)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If Alan Bligh isn't a goon, he sure looks like one

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I hadn't previously noticed the blazer over graphic tee but drat is it 'guy who makes wargame rules' as hell

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I hadn't previously noticed the blazer over graphic tee but drat is it 'guy who makes wargame rules' as hell

With apologies to Freud, I would say that the only thing to be ashamed of about making wargame rules is doing it badly.

Which, granted, doesn't offer any solace for most of the people on GW's payroll. :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
How do people do bike armies? I'm painting a squad for my Ultras and painting these things makes me want to kill myself. I can paint I Love My Bolter Marines all day, I can paint Rogue Trader melty faced dudes, I can paint Space Hulk 1st edition Terminators, and I can paint modern blinged-out models with no problem. Something about these drat things, even with the riders painted separately, is a miserable chore to paint.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm just glad it's not just me. If you think that's bad, try like 2.5k points of Storm Lords on bikes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'm just glad it's not just me. If you think that's bad, try like 2.5k points of Storm Lords on bikes.
I've never liked painting them exactly, but I thought when I was doing Ravenwing it was a combination of the riders being sculpted on, the extra detail on the Dark Vengeance stuff, and the fact that I just really don't like painting black. Turns out that nope, bikes are just horribly unfun to paint. I feel like White Scars players should get reparations from Games Workshop for painting that many white bikes.

SRM fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 10, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If you're painting rider and bike separate, I don't really have much else to tell you. Zenithal priming could make it easier wrt time vs results but I don't know if that would look weird with your retro Ultras.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Bikes significantly increase the surface area and fiddly bit quotient relative to the point value each model takes up. I'd definitely rather paint the equivalent number of points in troop marines than gently caress with painting a bike.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I went right into Brazen Claws after Storm Lords, which is basically the 1-2 punch of awful painting schemes. Imperial Fists have been a joy to paint ever since. I love Space Marines but man you have to do some tedious poo poo to get there.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

spacegoat posted:

I rarely post when I'm not contributing photos of my own minis, but those are bomb as heck and I hope you keep painting/sharing more. Those Warriors were my favorites when I started Tyranids, and I think they still look pretty good - I converted mine to play as Tyranid Primes. Also, please get with SRM and have a battle against his equally dope Ultramarines/IG.

To make up for my personal lack of paint progress photos, my brother is almost done painting the Squiggoth I converted for him (and posted WIP photos of in this thread).

I'm really happy with how it's come together under his brush skills! I have lots of WIP Squat stuff to share soon, as well as some Eldar and Tyranids, but I've been lazy with photos recently.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 10, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

spacegoat posted:

Fantastic!

Please tell me you have an original Style Hive Tyrant cause that thing was so awesome.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
That's awesome, and it's awesome that you're passing your conversion skills onto him. What else has he put together?

The buck tooth warrior was a nightmare to start painting due to the shape and weird old detailing, but now he's finished I'm actually looking forward to the others. The metals on the other hand are just fun from the get go and have held up really well detail wise.

SRM, it'd be wrong if we never played a game. Seeing your collection reposted the other day is what got me to break out the brushes again. You and BuffChick are two of my biggest ham inspirations on SA, so praise from you guys both is very humbling and motivating.

Hollismason, I do, but I'm saving it for near-to-last. I've got so many little guys to paint that I'm trying to reward myself with the special bugs.

Bonus pic:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

BuffaloChicken posted:

I rarely post when I'm not contributing photos of my own minis, but those are bomb as heck and I hope you keep painting/sharing more. Those Warriors were my favorites when I started Tyranids, and I think they still look pretty good - I converted mine to play as Tyranid Primes. Also, please get with SRM and have a battle against his equally dope Ultramarines/IG.

To make up for my personal lack of paint progress photos, my brother is almost done painting the Squiggoth I converted for him (and posted WIP photos of in this thread).

I'm really happy with how it's come together under his brush skills! I have lots of WIP Squat stuff to share soon, as well as some Eldar and Tyranids, but I've been lazy with photos recently.

This looks fantastic!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

spacegoat posted:

SRM, it'd be wrong if we never played a game. Seeing your collection reposted the other day is what got me to break out the brushes again. You and BuffChick are two of my biggest ham inspirations on SA, so praise from you guys both is very humbling and motivating.
If you ever find yourself near Boston gimme a holler and I'd be happy to throw down! It might take a while for a battle report since I still owe ignite memories one from our last game :orks: Glad I could help get you back on track! About how many points of old school Nids have you got together now?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hey wait, yeah :colbert:

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
So while I still have a big Imperial Fist backlog to get through, I've come into some credit to spend on more models. I'm wanting to make a mechanised Astra Millitarum with minimum foot units. Am i right in thinking the best way to do this would be to run 2x 10 man veteran squads? Probably in chimeras, as this seems like an economical way of buying them. Do the standard Cadian trooper sprues have enough weapon choices to make this a viable option?

Also as an HQ unit, I like the idea of rolling with Pask in a Leman Russ Executioner( mainly because that massive plasma looks awesome)

Is this a good place to start?

Heres my freshly completed Dreadnought for your time

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I've decided to put together my random Space Marine and Chaos stuff I've saved from ebay as Fallen, anything I should know about doing a mixed SM/CSM force in 7th? Is Cypher actually any good? I have his codex thing but I haven't read it yet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He's pretty awesome actually.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He's pretty awesome actually.

My knowledge of him is that between now and when I last played him he has lost his force weapon/"phase knife" but now just gets to non-optionally use his pistols as CC weapons.

Yeah it's been a while since Cypher was my #1 Favoritest Chaos Dude, I sort of went on a ten year Death Guard kick with Chaos (as me about my counts as Fabius Bile Apothacary and refusal to not use Typhus in every list I made forever) after EoT came out and never bounced back until now. I'm doing them all in the preheresy scheme. Am I right in being annoyed that the official art for Cypher has him in the green armor when it should be black or is the black armor for old DA's no longer a thing in the fluff now?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Speckled Jim posted:

So while I still have a big Imperial Fist backlog to get through, I've come into some credit to spend on more models. I'm wanting to make a mechanised Astra Millitarum with minimum foot units. Am i right in thinking the best way to do this would be to run 2x 10 man veteran squads? Probably in chimeras, as this seems like an economical way of buying them. Do the standard Cadian trooper sprues have enough weapon choices to make this a viable option?

Sick dreadnought!

Remember with Pask you're buying 2 Leman Russ', + 70 pts. So its not a cheap unit, and you need two tanks for it. Pask Punisher is usually a solid bet, IMHO.

For veterans - 2X 10 men squads in Chimeras w/ Flak Armour is a really solid troops core, and then 30-45 pts a squad will get you triple special weapons of your choice. I usually just go for meltaguns, but plasma also works very well.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Lord Twisted posted:

Pask Punisher is usually a solid bet, IMHO.

It is the most solid bet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Considering what's happening to 'nids right now, maybe there's a better chance for Steel Legion/Tallarn/Vostroyans to be resculpted down the line. :shobon:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

Considering what's happening to 'nids right now, maybe there's a better chance for Steel Legion/Tallarn/Vostroyans to be resculpted down the line. :shobon:

I dunno - Chapterhouse didn't make a bunch of models for those, did they?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Has anyone seen a list that is mostly thunderwolves? That seems like something simple but fun to play. I have been messing around with ideas just to keep me in 40k. I just don't know what I want to do next after playing demons so drat long.

I tried to fit in my IG crap I was messing around with, what do you guys think:

I didn't have my codex on my phone yet for wolves, so I have 110pt for the HQ as it stands, but meltabombs and crap can shift, I can even kill all 60pt of combat stuff off the blob if I need to I suppose, I doubt much would get past 20 thunderwolves.

Also, should I model them as juggernauts? Thunder-Horses? I remember those looking bad rear end but I worry they are too small now a'days with the official models out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

I dunno - Chapterhouse didn't make a bunch of models for those, did they?

:vince:

Also, Conquest LE preorder is up

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Corporates are such humourless bastards.

Apparently even that had to be pulled because someone got snippy.

"Ack, ack ack ack! Ackackack!" -Someone at executive level

Hollismason posted:

Yeah and in 2nd edition, if I remember right you could take them and put in squads or something like that. I can't remember what it was that they did though rules wise. I think it may have been some weird game mechanic where they could become wounded? Or I may be thinking of Rogue Trader, Rogue trader was the one where you didn't remove models.

They did something in 2nd edition.

In 4th Edition you could take a trait called Purity Above All that allowed you to take Apothecaries for free(?). They didn't grant Feel No Pain back then, though, it was this really subtle bonus, something like ignoring leadership tests from 25% casualties so long as those casualties were within coherency of the Apothecary.

SRM posted:

As an added bonus, this one dude I met last year was there again, and I really hope I get to play him some time. He runs Iron Warriors using Iron Hands rules and I have no idea what Mutoid Man here does, but he owns:

Oh snap! He's based off a Warsmith featured in White Dwarf. I did a quick search, couldn't find him, so have some other Iron Warriors stuff instead:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 10, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

In 4th Edition you could take a trait called Purity Above All that allowed you to take Apothecaries for free(?). They didn't grant Feel No Pain back then, though, it was this really subtle bonus, something like ignoring leadership tests from 25% casualties so long as those casualties were within coherency of the Apothecary.
I think Apothecaries let you ignore the first failed save against non-ID each turn, unless it was different from the ones that SoB and DH had at the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh snap! He's based off a Warsmith featured in White Dwarf. I did a quick search, couldn't find him, so have some other Iron Warriors stuff instead:

Oh yeah, I think I have that issue of WD in my small collection now that you mention that but I can't recall which one.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Yeah...reeeally want to get this, but I have Book 3 to get as well, the red books just for completeness...plus not enough spare cash available to drop £100 on a book series I've just spent £200 on. Oh, and the models, too (although I'm going to go the cheap route and get mostly plastic bits and just a few FW bits).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What's the delay between FW limited edition releases and regular ones? If I miss this am I waiting a while?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The IA13 SE came out the weekend of Warhammer Fest and the normal edition was available I think 3 weeks later.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Have they reached the SW legion yet? All I want to know is what stats does Leman Russ have.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There better be copies left at the end of the day. :smith:

edit: no Space Wolves. I don't think there's any new 'legion' stuff at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
This saturday it's nordic games day at libraries all over scandinavia, so i'll be at my local library demoing warhams. i'll be following the 6th ed kill team rules with some premade lists. any suggestions/enhancements to those rules, what i'm thinking of here is stuff that'll need to be house ruled in order for everyone to have fun.

i'm bringing these kill teams:

Pure kroot

Space marine tacticals with a scout squad

Astra militarum vets forward scouts with a scout sentinel (catachans ahoy!)

Tempestus scions.

hopefully some of the other dudes from our ham club will bring some tau, necrons and tyranids so we can really have a brawl! really tight boards with tons of terrain, too!

• Locked thread