Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sammus posted:

What would a 90s era blood dragon even be like?
TekWar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sammus posted:

Instead of driving around the island you'd ride your skateboard. It would have a tony hawk proskater styled tricking system that at certain point intervals triggered explosions all around you or provided weaponry.

The evil corporations and shadowy government are taking over this island dude and like, you're one of the last free skateborgs (cyborg skateboarders u see) able to stop them! Radical!!!

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
On the topic of Ubisoft hand-holding, Ziggy's Mod for FC3 made the game for me. Replaces the minimap with a simple compass, removes the wallhack spotting system, unlocks the wingsuit from the start along with all the story-locked skills. Also removed the animal symbols on the pause menu map and upped the crafting requirements so it was actually a challenge to hunt down and collect materials. It honestly felt like it was the way the game was always supposed to be, but wasn't because they had to dumb it down.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

KittyEmpress posted:

Instead of driving around the island you'd ride your skateboard. It would have a tony hawk proskater styled tricking system that at certain point intervals triggered explosions all around you or provided weaponry.

The evil corporations and shadowy government are taking over this island dude and like, you're one of the last free skateborgs (cyborg skateboarders u see) able to stop them! Radical!!!

The evil cyborg guys have captures some magical nature fairies too, but you gotta set 'em free and then catch 'em all to fight back against the powers of pollution because the power is yours

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fallout already exists

Yeah but this wouldn't be Bethesda at the helm.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Smol posted:

I agree and it's why I only buy Ubisoft open world games when they're discounted to like $15 or $20. So far I've played Far Cry 3, AC1, and AC2 and I always feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer after 10-15 hours, and the story or the characters have never been captivating enough to keep me playing either. All of them have been very polished AAA games, but they just seem to lack some... character to keep me interested. It's like every design decision was made by a focus group.

I did eventually finish FC3, but it was so samey that it felt like a waste of time afterwards.

More than 60 hours in Far Cry 3, only did the storyline once. I just keep resetting the outposts over and over, I'm still not tired of it. Did you just play "normally," or did you keep trying varied loadouts/new tactics? These kinds of games are meant for you to invent new and ridiculous poo poo to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8i008MutA

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I didn't realize this game was almost out! I loved Far Cry 3 despite the douche fratboy character. Some of my favorite kills were sniping the caged tigers and other animals and then watching them tear entire bases apart. "HUUUHH? WHAT WAS THAT? OH gently caress!" *huge gunfight ensues as I watch through binoculars* Yep. I also loved to snipe out the alarms and sneak in with a knife. There were just so many ways to kill enemies and raid bases.

Now I feel all nostalgic, like I need to reinstall. :D

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 10, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Trudis posted:

On the topic of Ubisoft hand-holding, Ziggy's Mod for FC3 made the game for me. Replaces the minimap with a simple compass, removes the wallhack spotting system, unlocks the wingsuit from the start along with all the story-locked skills. Also removed the animal symbols on the pause menu map and upped the crafting requirements so it was actually a challenge to hunt down and collect materials. It honestly felt like it was the way the game was always supposed to be, but wasn't because they had to dumb it down.

In the same sense that I really only enjoyed FC2 with Dylan's Mod, I only really enjoyed FC3 with Ziggy's Mod. Ziggy's Mod actually makes you feel like you're earning new weapons, and it's nice to see NPCs in more "subdued" outfits and carrying a wider variety of weapons. The whole game is a lot more challenging, especially with some of the harder versions of the mod.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In the same sense that I really only enjoyed FC2 with Dylan's Mod, I only really enjoyed FC3 with Ziggy's Mod. Ziggy's Mod actually makes you feel like you're earning new weapons, and it's nice to see NPCs in more "subdued" outfits and carrying a wider variety of weapons. The whole game is a lot more challenging, especially with some of the harder versions of the mod.

Personally, I can't wait for Far Cry 4's version of Ziggy's mod, because it really does make FC3 so good (And Dylan's for FC2 as well).

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

KittyEmpress posted:

Gnarly! I endorse this message. To the MAX. :krad:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 10, 2014

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite. If I don't have some kind of strong framing story it's super easy for me to lose interest or forget why I'm even there and what I'm doing. Like, Tomb Raider came out around the same time and was awesome for me because the story was tight and it always felt like there was some new plot twist or impetus to keep momentum. Even though there was obvious combat filler as there is in FC3, the pacing was just excellent and each setpiece upped the ante in a huge way. I'll probably eventually get around to playing more Far Cry but I wish these "open world" games would be less padded out and have more focus. I got through Tomb Raider in a week last year and it's probably the last game I've actually finished.

This is pretty much exactly the same experience I usually have with these games. And I loving loved the new Tomb Raider too. It's so frustrating, because the core gameplay in FC3 was pretty fun, I just hated every single character and every single line of dialogue and had absolutely no intention of completing the same task 758 times in order to beat the game. So it just kinda fizzled out for me after I got to Hoyt's (?) island and I never managed to finish it. I almost uninstalled the thing after dying like a thousand times to that weird shadow monster, wtf was that about.

Give me a tight, focused and interesting campaign à la Tomb Raider as well as a huge sandbox to dick around in and it'll be the best of both worlds.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bilal posted:

More than 60 hours in Far Cry 3, only did the storyline once. I just keep resetting the outposts over and over, I'm still not tired of it. Did you just play "normally," or did you keep trying varied loadouts/new tactics? These kinds of games are meant for you to invent new and ridiculous poo poo to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8i008MutA
I liked this guy's FC3 videos and feel they should get more recognition.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sammus posted:

GlobalGrip MegaCo. has unleashed the mutant plague and is threatening to launch a nuke. Every plant has been replaced with a crate. You have 3 new syringes: Hacker, anti-depressant, and heroin. Tutorials are given in a half-screamed half-sung stream of consciousness and nobody can figure out what they mean. Rex's body armor now has nipples.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 10, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does not have an extreme skateboarding segment, therefore not nearly 90s enough.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So it looks like the Karma mechanic influences the cost of items at trade posts, and "guns for hire" upgrades. You gain karma by stopping when you see allies fighting enemies and helping or spinning a "mana wheel." Not sure how you lose it (probably killing allies and civilians). Guns for hire weren't in FC3, but it sounds like it has potential.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

So it looks like the Karma mechanic influences the cost of items at trade posts, and "guns for hire" upgrades. You gain karma by stopping when you see allies fighting enemies and helping or spinning a "mana wheel." Not sure how you lose it (probably killing allies and civilians). Guns for hire weren't in FC3, but it sounds like it has potential.

I can't wait for someone to mod it like New Vegas did karma.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Any open world game can benefit somehow from New Vegas design philosophies. Such a great game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I wish somebody had told me about Ziggy's Mod before I started FC3. :(

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

That was a very insightful part of the game for me. The main character proclaiming "This is loving awesome!" made me, as the player, go "No, it isnt. Jason stop. Jason go save your brother and stop this at once."

At that point in the game you're a complete killing machine and already have the majority of the island completely taken over, but you still have to do errands for assholes to find your friends. You'd think the islanders would go "oh yeah maybe check out the two or three places on the island you haven't exterminated yet"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Volkerball posted:

Pure, unadulterated guess, but I'm gonna say guns for hire is probably what they're calling the magic tattoo upgrade system now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

Pure, unadulterated guess, but I'm gonna say guns for hire is probably what they're calling the magic tattoo upgrade system now.

Nah, it's reinforcements. It also seems to have something to do with co-op, but I'm almost 100% sure you can call in AI backup or something to that effect. Karma provides upgrades to that, so you can probably beef up your dudes if you aren't going around murdering the poo poo out of your allies.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Nah, it's reinforcements. It also seems to have something to do with co-op, but I'm almost 100% sure you can call in AI backup or something to that effect. Karma provides upgrades to that, so you can probably beef up your dudes if you aren't going around murdering the poo poo out of your allies.

Ahahaha. It's better than I could've imagined. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Kcsd4Han4&t=340s

This game is gonna own so hard.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I can only hope that guy dies immediately and horribly.

E:

Oh he's the co-op bro. :cripes:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Capn Beeb posted:

I can only hope that guy dies immediately and horribly.

E:

Oh he's the co-op bro. :cripes:

Think of him as an acquired taste. :v:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
That taste gets really stale real fast when you're surrounded by it :banjo:

E:

Oh god dammit the UGH GROSS DISGUSTING poo poo is still in after skinning animals.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

E:

Oh god dammit the UGH GROSS DISGUSTING poo poo is still in after skinning animals.

I hope he blows up more monkeys like in FC3. So random.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's 6 missions where you have to make a decision, including the last one. Hopefully they're like branches instead of just pick x get +50 karma, pick y get -50 karma or some poo poo like that. Might get a few more playthroughs in before getting bored if they're in depth enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you cannot push Hurk off the gyrocopter I will be very sad.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Capn Beeb posted:

E:

loving for real? Was there anyone anywhere who liked those lines?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The coop call in should have been the FC3 guy, just a toned white dude with a sleeve, grubby-cool backpacker clothes and flawless hair sporting a sharktooth necklace. Maybe an anklet.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

The coop call in should have been the FC3 guy, just a toned white dude with a sleeve, grubby-cool backpacker clothes and flawless hair sporting a sharktooth necklace. Maybe an anklet.

Jasons throat is slit because the bad ending is canon/best. You cannot tell me otherwise.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Volkerball posted:

Huh. My first time seeing a gameplay video. So it's basically Far Cry 3: Not!Nepal? I didn't think we'd get quite the gameplay change that happened between 1-2-3, but still. Even the radio towers are around, with the same configuration.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Huh. My first time seeing a gameplay video. So it's basically Far Cry 3: Not!Nepal? I didn't think we'd get quite the gameplay change that happened between 1-2-3, but still. Even the radio towers are around, with the same configuration.
why is there an exclamation point there? did you miss the hyphen?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Volkerball posted:

What the gently caress is this? Is that guy mentally retarded? Why do they always have the worst people imaginable playing their games?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

We won't get a significant change in the Far Cry series like that again until it stops selling. When Far Cry 3 was announced/coming out the universal reaction was "There is literally no way this will be good", while it went on to sell like gangbusting hotcakes and be pretty great. So now we'll get 5, 6 and maybe 7 with the same basic concepts with small updates and new locales until it stops selling. This is the Ubisoft of today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Volkerball posted:

Angry Joe irritates me. But aside from that he said one of the best parts of Far Cry 3 was the story. So, yes, he's a moron.[edit]

Not gonna lie, though. It looks like it runs nicely. Gonna preorder.

[Edit2] was this the PS4 Version?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 11, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orv posted:

We won't get a significant change in the Far Cry series like that again until it stops selling. When Far Cry 3 was announced/coming out the universal reaction was "There is literally no way this will be good", while it went on to sell like gangbusting hotcakes and be pretty great. So now we'll get 5, 6 and maybe 7 with the same basic concepts with small updates and new locales until it stops selling. This is the Ubisoft of today.
Maybe when Far Cry 7 fails, 8 will get an actual grappling hook. :sigh:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Orv posted:

This is the capitalism of always. I dont see the problem, unless you are one of the people who didn't stop buying the yearly COD when you stopped liking it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Angry Joe irritates me. But aside from that he said one of the best parts of Far Cry 3 was the story. So, yes, he's a moron.[edit]

Not gonna lie, though. It looks like it runs nicely. Gonna preorder.

[Edit2] was this the PS4 Version?

That was the first video of his I've ever seen. I got a chuckle out of him saying that too, but let's be honest. Youtube gamers aren't exactly a top class bunch of human beings in general. Every one seems to have some terrible social flaw that sticks out like a sore thumb within minutes.

Yes, it's PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Orv posted:

Like I said, I wasn't expecting that kind of significant change; but Far Cry-Brotherhood still came as a surprise. I liked Brotherhood, but still.

• Locked thread