Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm looking forward to when Korra finally gets written as winning a fight, but I was sick of hearing her grunt in pain like a whole entire season ago and that was basically a majority of her lines in this episode. If she's losing badly that's fine if it's part of the story, but I want to know what she thinks about that, other than "ow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I really liked this episode. Next episode will be Korra having a psychotherapy session while everyone else kicks rear end, which I'm totally fine with.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Bryan K. posted Ikki and Meelo's self-portraits on his tumblr. He made them with the show's prop designer Jojo Aguilar.

This is the best.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

I don't know if Kuvira had plans for the Avatar state, but she really hosed Korra up until that point because she was a more intelligent fighter who had obviously prepped for the battle.
How did she prepare for the battle? She's just a very good fighter who hasn't gotten out of practice.

Sato posted:

It actually just occurred to me that this was probably a major reason she specifically recruited Bolin. She knew the Avatar would be back eventually and knew that Bolin was writing to her so had an idea of her recovery schedule.
I don't think that would work, we know that Korra only responded to Asami. Kuvira wouldn't have been able to follow Korra's recovery through Bolin's letters.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dj_clawson posted:

I don't know if Kuvira had plans for the Avatar state, but she really hosed Korra up until that point because she was a more intelligent fighter who had obviously prepped for the battle. Honestly, Korra just randomly shot bolts of elements at her. Everyone knows that doesn't work, especially if you open with a fireball, as no one ever seems to get burned by one of those.
Zuko burned Toph's feet that one time and everybody freaked out so much because OMG SOMEBODY ACTUALLY GOT INJURED.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kibayasu posted:

Frankly just having Korra hit her opponent with something would be nice. I understand the symbolism, just like I understood the symbolism in her fight with Zaheer. That doesn't make it any less boring when the whole fight is just Korra slamming into the ground over and over after missing over and over and she isn't allowed to even put on the appearance of competing with her opponents until the very last fight of the very last episode. As bad a villain Amon was to fight at least Season 1 got to show Korra do something against the other supporting villains.

It's weird that I'm interested in basically everything except seeing Korra fight, is all. Seeing the Avatar fight should not be the equivalent of the alien of the week in Star Trek disabling Worf to prove how badass they are, final second PTSD episodes aside. You can have the protagonist lose a fight, keep your theme and narrative intact, and still making it interesting to watch.

This is my only complaint about the season so far. It's possible to have someone lose a fight while still putting up a good fight. Look at Bolin, Varrick, and Zhu Li versus the Bataar Jr and his soldiers in the mechs. Bolin put up a great fight, utilized his skills and the environment effectively and still lost because of Varrick's mistakes and Bataar's seizing of a tactical advantage. It's not difficult to show a character as being overmatched without reducing them to an unbelievable shadow of themselves. Korra was literally bending mountains and propelling herself through the air versus Zaheer, but the she can't crush Kuvira or wrap her up in air? I understand the need to show Korra as still recovering and deeply afflicted by her mental issues, while also showing how her wild, emotional style of bending can be defeated by Kuvira's more disciplined, focused metalbending style. But honestly every villain has had a more disciplined bending style than Korra, so it just seems redundant.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Seems everyone is getting to the same conclusion - nobody minds this plot taking as long as it does, but this last battle might have been too blatant about it. My big hope is that we'll get a proper pay-off - all that humiliation should balance out at some point... in the form of jawpunching. Korra said it herself, she's got a lot of build-up rage.

Really, the worst that could happen would be another Season 1 copout - no badass battle, just sudden plot elements which don't feel earned, and which don't give any sense of satisfaction. Again, there's no point to all this humiliation if it doesn't lead to SOMETHING, and that's what I'm afraid of (even after the nice S2 conclusion, and all of S3). Hell, and even if Korra gets Avatar state under control again, that wouldn't feel right - or does anyone want to see Kuvira trounce her again, only for Korra to win with Avatar state? That would suck. I hope for a proper beatdown, and right as the battle is clearly over, something else forces Avatar state. Like, bombs. Which need to be spirit-punched into orbit.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This is my only complaint about the season so far. It's possible to have someone lose a fight while still putting up a good fight.

This is a very good point, and this show has lots of similar examples. There's also Tenzin & siblings vs the super benders - Tenzin was clearly shutting down Zaheer at every opportunity, and Kia wasn't doing all that bad herself, but ultimately they lost (also thanks to super-broken explosion powers). Also Bolin vs. Ghazan, which he probably would've lost in the long run. This show has a good track record with balanced battles, so I HOPE we'll get back on track against other enemies than endbosses.

Seriously, this season needs a Lieutenant.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
That's why I really liked the Zaheer vs. Korra (bound) and Tonraq. There were huge dynamics in the battle and it could have gone either way. Too bad they couldn't show Tonraq skewering Zaheer in a Y-7 show. :smith:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I mean korra could have at least landed a *single* blow without having to be in the avatar state to do it, or she could have done something in the avatar state besides do the same boring air blast twice. It's not that she's losing fights so much as she's doing it in the most boring way possible, after two whole series of showing off great showy bending moves she goes through an entire fight just throwing jabs? That poo poo is weak

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Torquemadras posted:

Seriously, this season needs a Lieutenant.

Baatar Jr. That rear end in a top hat is just begging for some comeuppance.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kuvira could be a pretty good airbender with all her "gently caress up your footing" moves.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually, what needs to happen is a one-off episode where Korra and Team Avatar join up and put on an impromptu performance as a pop-rock music band with Korra doing the lead guitar and vocals.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I don't think that would work, we know that Korra only responded to Asami. Kuvira wouldn't have been able to follow Korra's recovery through Bolin's letters.

But did she know this? There was no guarantee Korra would never write back, especially since they were only six months into the eventual two-year period. Either way Bolin was in contact and was familiar with her bending and weaknesses.

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, what needs to happen is a one-off episode where Korra and Team Avatar join up and put on an impromptu performance as a pop-rock music band with Korra doing the lead guitar and vocals.

I knew they hired Henry Rollins for a reason! :haw:

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Kuvira could be a pretty good airbender with all her "gently caress up your footing" moves.

One thing that was early on in ATLA that never really got brought up much again was how Zuko beat Zhao by "breaking his root", or footing.

That's something I really miss about ATLA. A lot. Probably more than the rest. Exploring bending in depth, and how bending affects the world. The cultures that would take hold when you got Kung Fu Wizards deciding things. When they focused on the bending and how the world extrapolated from that ability, you get really creative, well-choreographed fights and interesting discussions of philosophy about the elements, divisions between people, and the rest.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

blurry! posted:

One thing that was early on in ATLA that never really got brought up much again was how Zuko beat Zhao by "breaking his root", or footing.

That's something I really miss about ATLA. A lot. Probably more than the rest. Exploring bending in depth, and how bending affects the world. The cultures that would take hold when you got Kung Fu Wizards deciding things. When they focused on the bending and how the world extrapolated from that ability, you get really creative, well-choreographed fights and interesting discussions of philosophy about the elements, divisions between people, and the rest.

Yeah, this setting has always been about "potential for greatness" to me. ATLA had some problems and Korra has had a slew of them, but I'd be sad to see them fall in to obscurity once Korra is over. Hopefully not!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Rift Part 3 came out, and to settle a dispute: Korra's spiritual difficulties have nothing to do with Aang destroying his connection to Roku at the end of The Promise. He reforges it here by making a new meditation bead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Rift Part 3 came out, and to settle a dispute: Korra's spiritual difficulties have nothing to do with Aang destroying his connection to Roku at the end of The Promise. He reforges it here by making a new meditation bead.
People actually disputed about that? Good lord.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think it was a dispute. It was more a theory somebody had.

ETA: New clip from Episode 7 is up! It's all sorts of adorable.

Sato fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 10, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BrianWilly posted:

You know how these things are, one or two posts ends up labelled a 'dispute'

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sato posted:

I don't think it was a dispute. It was more a theory somebody had.

ETA: New clip from Episode 7 is up! It's all sorts of adorable.

It was my theory and yeah as usual I was a bit far out there, but I think this thread is better when people are putting forward theories rather than just endlessly debating Korra's personality and why she sucks blah blah blah, getting creepy about the characters (still not really over the Tenzin masturbating thing that was once posted), or derailing into conversations about anime.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Kuvira is the 2nd best villain this show or ATLA has ever had, next to Azula

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

It was my theory and yeah as usual I was a bit far out there, but I think this thread is better when people are putting forward theories rather than just endlessly debating Korra's personality and why she sucks blah blah blah, getting creepy about the characters (still not really over the Tenzin masturbating thing that was once posted), or derailing into conversations about anime.

:stare:

I agree with you, though I'd also add the historical references and posts about how the show incorporates spirituality to the good parts. I'm kind of shocked we haven't gotten creepy comments about the characters considering we have an entire nation in skintight spandex.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Kuvira is the 2nd best villain this show or ATLA has ever had, next to Azula
The Red Lotus foursome was pretty awesome.

So now that Korra's back in Republic City what's the betting she'll meet with the world leaders soon? We'll probably hear Izumi speak--still kind of sad she wasn't named Honora like some fans predicted.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I want a miniseries showing Zaheer recruiting his gang and their adventures before they try to kidnap Korra.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Wow, Bumi's getting in shape. Seems like being an Airbender has given him a new lease on life.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

kefkafloyd posted:

Wow, Bumi's getting in shape. Seems like being an Airbender has given him a new lease on life.

He can finally live up to Dad's standard :unsmith:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

I want a miniseries showing Zaheer recruiting his gang and their adventures before they try to kidnap Korra.

In chibi style like the little mini-episodes for the original show. I want the same light-hearted tone too, so we could see Zaheer talking about the inherent tyranny of government in a high-pitched voice while riding koi with Ghazan or something.

kefkafloyd posted:

That and the increased physical activity of bending. He seems to be even thinner than he was with the United Forces.

I wonder if more Airbenders have appeared during the timeskip. Would there have just been one big conversion when the portals opened, or would it have been continuous over time? I know the Air Nation is stretched thin in the Earth Empire but I doubt Tenzin would send newly discovered/barely trained Air Nomads to fight bandits.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really hope we get to see the modern Fire Nation before the end of this run. Would love to see the staggering contrast from what we saw last time with all the brainwashing kids and Footloose towns

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kefkafloyd posted:

So what do you think the odds are we'll get to see how much Bumi has improved so that he and Tenzin can end up jobbing in another fight this season? :v:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just wanted to pop in to say I've been binging on season 3-4 of this show over the last two weeks and I think they've been two really strong, really enjoyable seasons.

Jesus, Opal's been annoying this season though. *Really* annoying.

Anyway yeah, looking forward to the grand finale.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been binging on this over the past week or so and I'm caught up to the current episode.

One thing that seems really different from ATLA is the avatar state. If I remember correctly, Aang used it (or rather, it came out on its own, usually when Aang was unconscious) as the very last resort and it made him nearly invulnerable. Whereas with Korra, she seems to be able to use it at will most of the time, it seems to merely triple her strength, and she's still quite vulnerable while in it (getting hit can cause her to fall out of it). But maybe that's because Korra is nowhere as powerful as Aang, since Aang was already a hundred years old when they discovered him encased in ice at the beginning of ATLA.

Also, Aang's avatar state had a whole 30-second sequence where he was levitating into the air and stuff. With Korra it just seems to require a blink.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 10, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I've been binging on this over the past week or so and I'm caught up to the current episode.

One thing that seems really different from ATLA is the avatar state. If I remember correctly, Aang used it (or rather, it came out on its own, usually when Aang was unconscious) as the very last resort and it made him nearly invulnerable. Whereas with Korra, she seems to be able to use it at will most of the time, it seems to merely triple her strength, and she's still quite vulnerable while in it (getting hit can cause her to fall out of it). But maybe that's because Korra is nowhere as powerful as Aang, since Aang was already a hundred years old when they discovered him encased in ice at the beginning of ATLA.

Also, Aang's avatar state had a whole 30-second sequence where he was levitating into the air and stuff. With Korra it just seems to require a blink.

I'd say that was mostly the case in the second season where it did seem to be treated as just a video game power boost. I might be remembering incorrectly but I think the only time we ever saw it in the third season was during the finale and that seemed pretty equal to anything Aang did. And we've seen it only briefly in 4.

The difference that I've seen is that TLA treated the Avatar state as almost something undesirable for Aang a lot of the time. More than a few times he used it and didn't like the results. That changed somewhat near the end of the season 2 before he immediately lost it again but even in the end he exited it before doing what all the past Avatars were telling him to do.

Korra, on the other hand, isn't quite as much as a pacifist. Unfortunately at the same time the second season of TLK lost some of its sense of restraint, forgetting that the Avatar state is something that was previously established to be feared. Give it to someone who has much fewer qualms about using it than Aang and is able to use it on a whim and they simply had to reduce its usefulness at that point because otherwise there would be literally no danger to Korra at all, except from spirits I suppose. And while I know the second season tried to make Korra using the Avatar state for fairly frivolous things to be a bad thing, in the end it just turned out to be a quick way to establish some tension between her and Tenzin. It's not a very satisfactory answer in a narrative sense but no other reason was ever shown or stated in the show so its the only one that I can think of. I felt Season 3 of Korra brought back the necessary gravitas to the Avatar state, not only in its raw power in the fight was Zaheer but also once again using it as something as undesirable, at least in that specific moment.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Aang couldn't control the Avatar State until the very end of the series. When it did come out it was a defense mechanism and was controlled by the combined rage of 100 Avatars: it's like going to 100% every time so it's going to take a while to power up. It was treated as something to be feared for the most part because for most of that series Aang wasn't in control so people had this uncontrollable channel of cosmic energy causing chaos. Once the Avatar can control the Avatar State they can control the level of power they use: after Aang's battle against Ozai he used the Avatar State to clean up and it looked exactly the same as when Korra uses it. The same goes for the other Avatars--Kyoshi in the Avatar State was shown to act the same way as Korra (and Aang after he gained control) and nobody's doubting her power levels.

It appears that when you gain control of the Avatar State you lose raw power for precision.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Sato posted:

Aang couldn't control the Avatar State until the very end of the series. When it did come out it was a defense mechanism and was controlled by the combined rage of 100 Avatars: it's like going to 100% every time so it's going to take a while to power up. It was treated as something to be feared for the most part because for most of that series Aang wasn't in control so people had this uncontrollable channel of cosmic energy causing chaos. Once the Avatar can control the Avatar State they can control the level of power they use: after Aang's battle against Ozai he used the Avatar State to clean up and it looked exactly the same as when Korra uses it. The same goes for the other Avatars--Kyoshi in the Avatar State was shown to act the same way as Korra (and Aang after he gained control) and nobody's doubting her power levels.

It appears that when you gain control of the Avatar State you lose raw power for precision.
Good theory, it might be that maintaining your control over your actions and sense of self in the Avatar State requires great effort, as opposed to having it use the Avatar to level the threat. Aang was always at his most powerful and destructive when he had no agency over his actions, when he was angry or afraid, and without control over the state it became something to be feared.

With Korra we see her flick it on and off like a light bulb.

Korra is somebody who likes to be in control. She doesn't like to be told what to do and wants (or wanted) to be the Avatar so badly that controlling it came as naturally to her as bending did at a young age. This is the crux of the problem, so rather than another deus rock machina they tone it down whenever she uses it at whim. We don't actually get to see the Avatar State use her it until she was so far gone from the torture, hallucinations and poison in her body whilst trying desperately to die that she lost it and started throwing mountains around. She didn't even have her past lives to as a reference point, it was pure rage driving that State and having no control probably scared the living poo poo out of her as much as nearly dying did.

It's her deepest, darkest fear.

In the Kuvira fight Korra attempts to maintains control of the State because it's who she is, and having fought for three years to regain agency over her body she doesn't want to let that grip slip. It's in that moment, standing on the edge of control between Korra and that brutal, destructive beast that hunted Zaheer down, that she encounters her fear again. Aang was afraid of Avatar State controlling him, while Korra is so completely and utterly terrified by it that she externalises it and in a moment of triumph chokes.

TL;DR having control over the Avatar state and maintaining self awareness reduces its raw potential. But when the State uses the Avatar that's when we get to see some good TV.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 10, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

And while I know the second season tried to make Korra using the Avatar state for fairly frivolous things to be a bad thing, in the end it just turned out to be a quick way to establish some tension between her and Tenzin. It's not a very satisfactory answer in a narrative sense but no other reason was ever shown or stated in the show so its the only one that I can think of.
I maintain that Korra losing her connection to her past lives was narrative punishment for this.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why would using the Avatar state for frivolous things be bad anyway?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Baron Bifford posted:

"Raava, get me a Coke."

"Raava, change the radio station"

"Raava, make the Fire Ferrets win tonight"
Technically, she's bending (:haw:) a spirit to her will, might as well save it for the important stuff.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Baron Bifford posted:

Because calling upon the spirits of 1000 dead heroes to make you win at a children's game is generally considered to be bad form.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
"Why don't they just wish on the dragonballs-" I don't know man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

It's an abuse of power and frequently unnecessary, and if you should happen to be hit by a meteor or something while using the Avatar state to get a coke from the fridge, welp, that's the end of the Avatar.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Not to mention she was using Aang's help to beat his own grandchildren. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

VaultAggie posted:

Not to mention she was using Aang's help to beat his own grandchildren. :colbert:

You say that like Aang wouldn't enjoy the opportunity to school his grandkids at his own game. :colbert:

• Locked thread