Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

the cellar sucks balls.

you aren't kidding. The loving haunt can suck my rear end. What a stupid loving boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ghost Head posted:

you aren't kidding. The loving haunt can suck my rear end. What a stupid loving boss

Excellent post/username combo.

Also I did Solar System today and it's not nearly as bad as people made it sound, I actually killed most bosses faster than I would on a normal run because that red fly does some serious damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was probably black lotus, Eden was wearing a purple flower in its hair. Here's another one, probably harder. The item on the end seems to be giving me a pulsing white glow but I can't figure out what else it's doing.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

That's the polaroid. I had the negative on an Eden run once. Neither is very good (Polaroid has shield effect first time you go to half a heart, negative has necronomicon effect at half a heart)

I just had a run hosed up by the Undefined item. I used it on womb 2 looking to head towards the Lamb and it sent me to the Error room. I panicked because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get to the It Lives fight to choose my direction but the Error room had an Emperor card in it. I used the card, fought It Lives and then jumped down the Shoel pit. For some reason Undefined pre-defined my path or something and I ended up in the Cathedral anyway. Luckily Undefined has a nice trick of letting you get to the Chest/Dark room without the appropriate polaroid/negative so I fought Blue Baby instead of the Lamb. Bleh what a waste of Ipecac + Mom's Knife.

RedRupee fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

Ghost Head posted:

The Haunt itself isn't so bad, the two little ghosts that attack you as pair though...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Polaroid seemed to proc after every drat thing on my last Eve run. I know it had to happen at least 4 or 5 times against Satan.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Polaroid seemed to proc after every drat thing on my last Eve run. I know it had to happen at least 4 or 5 times against Satan.

Are you saying it's still OP? That's interesting. In honesty I had just heard from someone that it was nerfed to only activate once (like the Umbilical Cord trinket) but it's good news if it's still super powerful for characters like Blue Baby.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kanfy posted:

Excellent post/username combo.

Also I did Solar System today and it's not nearly as bad as people made it sound, I actually killed most bosses faster than I would on a normal run because that red fly does some serious damage.

Solar system was fun as heck. BEANZ on the other hand....

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
gently caress the beans challenge. It's good that you can just bomb the doors of most rooms, but the damage you deal is so loving low that you have to pray for a reroll room to get rid of all that garbage items. Also God forbid you get any item that increases tear related stuff.

Pray you get a Dark Bum or a Lil' Brimstone.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The bombs aren't for the doors, they're for the enemies. The fullscreen stun on butt bombs does just enough damage to kill most early enemies in one or 2 hits. Later you work on herding dudes into the explosion and hope you still have 20 or so to finish off Mom. Farts are for small numbers of weak dudes, not trying to obsessively clear every room.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

dis astranagant posted:

The bombs aren't for the doors, they're for the enemies. The fullscreen stun on butt bombs does just enough damage to kill most early enemies in one or 2 hits. Later you work on herding dudes into the explosion and hope you still have 20 or so to finish off Mom. Farts are for small numbers of weak dudes, not trying to obsessively clear every room.

Yes but in Later Levels I'd rather just blast a door open and keep going instead of trying to fight most of the things there.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Welp, I'm back in. I was all over the original game(I think I Platinum God-ed that game before anyone else in the original thread :v:) and Rebirth has been an absolute blast so far.

Learning curve hit for awhile as I had 10 Isaac deaths before my first Heart kill but I'm rolling now. Did my first boss rush as Isaac too and could have done another but I ran across the Bible en route to my first Heart kill and decided not to risk it and wait for another OP combo for the 2nd boss rush(you need to do 2 as Isaac, right?).

Can't wait for challenges either. Got everyone but Azazel and Judas and The Lost unlocked right now so I'm guessing I'll try to get them all unlocked next.

So long life, see you in a few weeks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, my first chest clear ended up being with Maggy of all characters. Went on to beat chest with a few more characters. Still don't have Dark Room unlocked because every time I end up getting to It Lives I feel way more confident about being able to take down Issac & Blue Baby then chancing it with Satan and only getting one unlock. Projectile protection makes the former so much easier most of the time, whereas satan's stomp and bomb worms still loving suck so much rear end.

Also, gently caress the challenges that blindfold you. I found Mom's Knife in a devil deal room and figured I had the challenge on lock. Nope, it does nothing. I'm horrible at swinging the guppy hairball so I have no idea how I'll pull that off.

In other news, chocolate milk + monstro's lung is actually pretty awesome. You can't tap to shoot anymore, but because you're forced to charge, all your shots are huge anyways :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Also, gently caress the challenges that blindfold you. I found Mom's Knife in a devil deal room and figured I had the challenge on lock. Nope, it does nothing. I'm horrible at swinging the guppy hairball so I have no idea how I'll pull that off.

You'll need a friend, pretty much. Li'l Brimstone breaks most of those challenge runs but for the Guppy thing I had to make do with Bob's Brain.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody know any good roguelites other than binding of isaac, risk of rain, spelunky, or nuclear throne?

i really want a dark souls-y roguelite now, thanks meat miracle t:mad:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

anybody know any good roguelites other than binding of isaac, risk of rain, spelunky, or nuclear throne?

Rogue Legacy.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I thought Rogue Legacy was really poo poo. It's basically the same poo poo over and over.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ghost Head posted:

I thought Rogue Legacy was really poo poo. It's basically the same poo poo over and over.

I thought it was pretty fun for the "upgrade and get a bit farther each time" loop that BoI sort of has. Although compared to BoI and other roguelikes it just doesn't have quite the right replayability and randomization.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Mom's Knife + Trinity shield

It was the entire reason I just unlocked the d6 just now. I went into the Isaac fight with one heart and won. Bullet hell bosses honestly don't stand a chance with that setup.

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010
Fiery quadruple parasite Ipecac was a very efficient combo for killing everything immediately, but sometimes the Ipecac shots would keep splitting multiple times and carpet bomb the whole room in the process.

:derp:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Thank god Rebirth came out when it did. The Isaac-likes such as Our Darker Purpose and A Wizard's Lizards were all terrible. I don't like how dark Rebirth is compared to the original Isaac, but at least it's not as dark as those games. It was like Curse of Darkness is in Rebirth, but all the time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, i have rogue legacy and in some ways its kind of cool but it's def flawed.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Man, my first chest clear ended up being with Maggy of all characters. Went on to beat chest with a few more characters. Still don't have Dark Room unlocked because every time I end up getting to It Lives I feel way more confident about being able to take down Issac & Blue Baby then chancing it with Satan and only getting one unlock. Projectile protection makes the former so much easier most of the time, whereas satan's stomp and bomb worms still loving suck so much rear end.

In other news, chocolate milk + monstro's lung is actually pretty awesome. You can't tap to shoot anymore, but because you're forced to charge, all your shots are huge anyways :v:

I try to make sure to have a bunch of bombs for the last bit of satan. Just poo poo them out as you run around and you'll blow up his bomb worms and damage him with them from time to time.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Dias posted:

Some Isaac tips from a lovely player, but that have helped me become less lovely:

- Dark Bum, flight, damage, full map - your priorities. Dark Bum is highlighted because he's that awesome (Devil Store for one heart, it's worth it). Flight gets you more items and makes dodging easier, damage is damage and knowing where stores, items and bosses are makes your life easier, especially at the Womb and beyond. You can sorta buy those things in most runs between the Devil rooms and the store, and it's usually worth the loss of the heart containers/the 15 coins.
- Use your consumables well. Keys are for item doors unless you get 15 coins. I use bombs for digging up secret rooms and breaking marked rocks. The tarot cards are situational, so you better learn what they do. Pills...well, you probably shouldn't use them unless a stat down won't hurt you too bad. Coins are up to you. If you can spare a key and the store is selling something good, it should be your priority. Otherwise, dumping money at an arcade usually gives you a bunch of consumables/hearts. Solo slot machines and bums aren't that great, but in a pinch/if you have nothing to spend coins on, they're okay. gently caress the fortune telling machine.
- Cheese bosses and annoying enemies whenever you can. That's why I really like getting flight - it breaks bosses that can't hit you over rocks and jumping enemies. If you are so lucky to get flight AND a beam, there's very few enemies that actually pose a threat to you. Some bosses have very exploitable patterns too, like the horsemen - they almost always dash at you if you're facing them.
- Also, don't explore more than you need to. You got the boss door location, decent health, the free item and maybe bombs/keys? GTFO. Chances are you'll stumble into a room full of spikes with six vagina-beam enemies if you keep on going. Or a small room with Masks. Or a corridor with four of those bomb flies. What I'm trying to say is that this game hates you.

I agree with most of your tips except the last one to an extent. Part of getting good at Isaac is learning how to deal with those rooms instead of running away from them. Skipping out on a lot of rooms will hurt you in the end if you're playing a game where the RNG has been against you and you need to squeeze every last item out of each floor. Yeah it's great when you have all the great items and can afford to skip rooms but that's a small percentage of the time, especially if you ever end up making the leap to hard mode.

Also I'm not sure why you're saying gently caress the fortune telling machine yet recommending to pick up the dark bum. On blue baby runs or any run where my health is questionable, fortune telling machines are a savior for soul hearts. You're not always going to get the dark bum, especially once you've unlocked more and more items. I rarely see it now, honestly.

In addition, learn to abuse arcades. It can be tedious and boring, but you can often times use the blood to coins machine until you have half a heart left then gain them back with a with the 3 skulls guy and normal slot. Doing this also nets you a chance at a HP up from the blood machine.

If you ask me, one of the best shop items is the 1+1 pickup thing. It makes the above tip quite a bit easier and generally can get you a ton of gold, keys and bombs.

The biggest tip for Isaac in my opinion is to take risks. Check curse rooms, check all rooms. Yes it is risky but you'll get better and you find that as you get better you can turn those questionable runs into something manageable because you've made the most out of every single floor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iny posted:

No, you're good, that's pretty normal.

Really? Cause I never played the first and this is my stat screen.

I thought I was terrible at this since I'm garbage at bullet hell games.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh man, do you really have to unlock The Lost in one sitting? I know if you die incorrectly you have to start over, but do you really have to do those four games without quitting in between or saving/quitting in the middle of a run?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Ghost Head posted:

Yeah I know Rogue Legacy was super hyped up but I could never really get into it. Same with Risk of Rain. I've tried so many times to get into it but it doesn't grab me like BoI has been able to.

I really think there are ideas in both games that could be used to make a really good platforming BoI type game but neither of them clicked with me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Really? Cause I never played the first and this is my stat screen.

I thought I was terrible at this since I'm garbage at bullet hell games.

I'd argue that Isaac isn't really a bullet hell - mom's heart/isaac have bullet hell elements but I feel like the hard parts of the game are bigger on reactions. There's a good deal of strategizing too. I think it has to do more with roguelikes in terms of adjusting to what the game gives you. People wax poetic about the best items but really just making do with slight improvements to your base character is all it takes.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 10, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Oh man, do you really have to unlock The Lost in one sitting? I know if you die incorrectly you have to start over, but do you really have to do those four games without quitting in between or saving/quitting in the middle of a run?

I've heard you can hit escape and just start a new run if things are looking bad. No idea if you're allowed to close the game between runs though.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was getting golden skull keys in two levels that changed the icon of my keys. I couldn't find it on platinum god, what do those do.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I was getting golden skull keys in two levels that changed the icon of my keys. I couldn't find it on platinum god, what do those do.

For that floor you don't spend keys to open things although key bums will still take your keys.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What does mom's key do? I always buy it and I can never tell what the effect is.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tollymain posted:

FTL is what got me into the genre. Still love it. It's less action-y, but utterly charming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the gently caress. I bought brimstone baby and then picked up another familiar. Now brimstone baby is gone. The other one is called mongo baby and I've never seen it before. Did he eat my little devil pal?!? :psyduck:

teethgrinder posted:

FTL is what got me into the genre. Still love it. It's less action-y, but utterly charming.

FTL plays nothing like Issac but is loads a fun and a really unique roguelike game. Its a lot harder though. Much more planning, games last longer, and you can't always get around the RNG with skill like you can in Issac.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

mongo baby is a piece of poo poo who kills and eats your other babies and is poo poo

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
For challenges theres always that one item that completely takes all the challenge out. For Cursed? I came across the Holy Mantle which negates 1 instance of damage every room effectively making all doors passable without damage. For Waka Waka grabbing brimstone makes a little magnetic black(red) hole of death which then fires off a brimstone soon after. I also keep completing the Guppy transformation compared to maybe getting it once in my entire WotL career.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SuicideSnowman posted:

I agree with most of your tips except the last one to an extent. Part of getting good at Isaac is learning how to deal with those rooms instead of running away from them. Skipping out on a lot of rooms will hurt you in the end if you're playing a game where the RNG has been against you and you need to squeeze every last item out of each floor. Yeah it's great when you have all the great items and can afford to skip rooms but that's a small percentage of the time, especially if you ever end up making the leap to hard mode.

Also I'm not sure why you're saying gently caress the fortune telling machine yet recommending to pick up the dark bum. On blue baby runs or any run where my health is questionable, fortune telling machines are a savior for soul hearts. You're not always going to get the dark bum, especially once you've unlocked more and more items. I rarely see it now, honestly.

In addition, learn to abuse arcades. It can be tedious and boring, but you can often times use the blood to coins machine until you have half a heart left then gain them back with a with the 3 skulls guy and normal slot. Doing this also nets you a chance at a HP up from the blood machine.

If you ask me, one of the best shop items is the 1+1 pickup thing. It makes the above tip quite a bit easier and generally can get you a ton of gold, keys and bombs.

The biggest tip for Isaac in my opinion is to take risks. Check curse rooms, check all rooms. Yes it is risky but you'll get better and you find that as you get better you can turn those questionable runs into something manageable because you've made the most out of every single floor.

We're not really disagreeing on the exploration bit, I think. It's more about knowing when your setup is good enough that taking a risk isn't worth it, especially in the later floors. Basement and Caves are easy enough that I'll suck 'em dry, and I kinda count on those levels to give me enough resources so I can skip more rooms afterwards. When I get to the Womb, I'd rather just zip to the boss unless I'm real low on health. But really, if you're having a bad run you might as well gamble and explore every room - you could end up with extra soul hearts or a sin boss upgrade.

I never had much luck with the fortune telling machine and I'd rather play normal slots for soul hearts - especially with Dark Bum on deck. It just seems to give me lovely fortunes 90% of the time, but maybe it's just bad RNG on my part.

1+1 pickup item is real good if you get it early, I forgot about it. It helps with abusing arcades and getting precious keys/bombs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
To be fair there's also challenge 18 (iirc that's computer savvy) which is just easier than most runs you'll ever have.

It's a lot of fun though. Robo Baby 2.0 is really hard to use though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man I had the Broken Watch and it activated in the Cathedral, and I had to pause the game from the fit of laughter I had at hearing the music. Wish I had recorded it because it was hilariously stupid sounding. I'd imagine Sheol is much of the same.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

mongo baby is a piece of poo poo who kills and eats your other babies and is poo poo
Wait so that's what it is? I just thought it was a familiar with a higher rate of fire. Does it get stronger from eating others at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

HGH posted:

Oh man I had the Broken Watch and it activated in the Cathedral, and I had to pause the game from the fit of laughter I had at hearing the music. Wish I had recorded it because it was hilariously stupid sounding. I'd imagine Sheol is much of the same.

Wait so that's what it is? I just thought it was a familiar with a higher rate of fire. Does it get stronger from eating others at least?

it replicates one of your other babies but doesnt work with lil brimstone. I had lil brimstone and lil gish and picked up mongo baby and it killed both of them and then did gish's shots.