Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I've got an extra set of tail plastics too if you want them - both fiberglass stuff and some OEM stuff with a crappy paintjob on it, mine's going into pretty much full track mode.
I put my tail piece back together so I may as well run it as is.

quote:

Here's the thing though - you can be going slower around the track, but faster in high risk places. I think it was Andretti that said something along the lines of "You can always tell the new F1 drivers because they're trying to go fast in the corners and they go slower on the straights". A large part of what makes a fast lap has very little to do with cornerspeed and a lot to do with how you get off the corner. It's one of the reasons I love high horsepower bikes on the track these days, I can turn a very fast lap with minimal drama and risk by simply choosing lines that maximize exit drive and focus on building to that, vs. a high cornerspeed, high entry speed, minimal exit drive bike like the RS125. It's also how you see really fast guys run outlaps on cold tires faster than most people's flying laps, they're cornerparking and getting insane drive out of the corners while minimizing high risk time spent leaned over on cold tires.

Unfortunately, my goal lately has been corner speed and the drive off corners. I've improved leaps and bounds but it's definitely a gamble that can hurt.

I ordered a clipon, Woodcraft bar end sliders, a clutch lever, fairing support wing, renthal grips, and fixed rearsets for $323 shipped today. That covers everything damaged minus the plastics, which I will be running as-is. Pirelli Superbike Pros are the only thing left to order before the next trackday in December.

Oh. And gloves. I think I'll be buying Helimots.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this track was here. I live within walking distance.

Glad you are ok dude.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jdonz posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this track was here. I live within walking distance.

Glad you are ok dude.

It was closed for a few years due to "noise complaints".

Despite being in the flight path of F16s.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There is a difference between planes flying overhead from time to time or whatever and a track making noise every Fri/Sat/Sun from 8am - 5pm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

There is a difference between planes flying overhead from time to time or whatever and a track making noise every Fri/Sat/Sun from 8am - 5pm.

Luke is the training center for the F16 and now the F35. It's not a small or quiet base

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

So I totaled my F800 GT a few weeks ago. Some fuckhead in a new 3 series BMW decided to make a U turn in the middle of a busy road without any warning, over a painted yellow island (not allowed to have a single wheel on these) and a solid white line (you're never allowed to cross these) because there was traffic up ahead. This resulted in me hitting the twat just behind the right-side passenger door at roughly 90 degrees at about 80-90 km/h (just under 60 mph for the muricans).

Broke my left femur, telescoped and broke my right wrist quite badly, fractured my skull. Fortunately I am pretty ATGATT and I didn't have as much as a single scratch on my skin. BMW Tourshell suit is worth every cent.

I am back home now, three operations on my wrist and one on my leg later. Nearly dying because the doctors that were looking after me initially couldn't diagnose a loving embolism. My dad had to get one of his doctor friends to call and tell them what to test for after I was in a steady declinein the ICU for a week talking loads of poo poo and not making any sense thanks to my oxygen starved brain. Went to a different hospital ASAP after that.

I now set off metal detectors thanks to the plate in my wrist and the titanium screws in my leg, but I am expected to make a full recovery eventually. Just not allowed to lift a lot of weights with this wrist or I'll suffer when I'm old. Also had an external fixator on my wrist for a while which is no fun whatsoever. Two screws drilled into the top of your hand just behind your index finger and another two in your arm. Breaking the femur is by far the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and the muscles still hurt like hell, especially at night. Oxycodone is awesome.

I'll post some pictures later when I cba.

Batcat! Batcat! fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 12, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Holy poo poo, man. I'm glad you're still alive and kinda kicking... let's see them pics.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, glad to hear you are somewhat ok. Get well soon bruh

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wow - that's great that you're alive and going to make a full recovery. That sort of accident just goes to show that even wearing gear won't stop serious injury when enough forces are involved. The fact that you didn't have large road rash probably helped you stay alive given how bad off you were to begin with.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy poo poo dude, that's intense. Heal up fast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good christ that's hosed up. Did the guy get charged? Are you right-handed?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Luke is the training center for the F16 and now the F35. It's not a small or quiet base

Seriously, there is no shortage of activity on that runway (or in the area around it).

It came down to the sound of FREEDOM versus a bunch of old fucks who managed to get the county to illegally shut it down. Took a few years but they managed to get it overturned, though I think they have some significant noise restrictions on the track all the same.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
We are required to stay under 94dB with two test points on the straights. The facility has a hard limit of 99dB with monitoring that will have the place shut down if they go over a certain amount of times in a 6 month period. That said, I don't mind the limit because I hate gently caress-off-loud bikes but it kinda sucks that you're stuck running a heavy / hot stock exhaust. The 749/999/848/1098 have one cat in the long pipe coming from the front cylinder and a second cat in the actual exhaust can for the rear cylinder. Hot is not really even a way to describe it. If you want to use an aftermarket exhaust off the track then you're stuck swapping a powercommander or Nemesis/Microtek map along with the complete exhaust because Ducs are literally unrideable poo poo if you mess with the exhaust at all and don't tune it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 12, 2014

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Good christ that's hosed up. Did the guy get charged? Are you right-handed?

Yeah he got charged with negligent and reckless driving.

I am right handed so it sucks. Got a while to go with the therapy on the hand. I'll get some of the photos together and post them a little later.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A ticket and a few points on his license seems kind of unfair considering the therapy you have to go through. He should have his license suspended until you regain enough motor function to slap the poo poo out of him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

I am right handed so it sucks. Got a while to go with the therapy on the hand. I'll get some of the photos together and post them a little later.

drat. That loving blows. Glad to hear you're ok. What country/state are you in? If the US, how are your medical and insurance bills coming? Also, are you just typing like normal or do you have to write everything out left handed?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

Jesus, that loving sucks. Glad you're still with us and expected to make a full recovery.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously, there is no shortage of activity on that runway (or in the area around it).

It came down to the sound of FREEDOM versus a bunch of old fucks who managed to get the county to illegally shut it down. Took a few years but they managed to get it overturned, though I think they have some significant noise restrictions on the track all the same.

I know this isn't the right thread for this, so I apologize. Who complains about the sound? As far as I can see its the dumpy golf course and the AFB. What else is on the north side of Camelback that would have people complaining? I don't know the area very well, I've only been here since May, Avondale for 12 years before that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

drat. That loving blows. Glad to hear you're ok. What country/state are you in? If the US, how are your medical and insurance bills coming? Also, are you just typing like normal or do you have to write everything out left handed?

Based on him being in a right hand drive country with metric units I'd say he's either somewhere in continental europe or australia.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

So I totaled my F800 GT a few weeks ago. Some fuckhead in a new 3 series BMW
BMW on BMW action, nice.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

:stonk:

Glad you're ok, wanna see those pics.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Well look on the bright side: you've taken your first steps to becoming a Terminator!

Super glad to hear you weren't injured mortally, and I hope you recover soon.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Holy poo poo man, glad you lived to tell the tale. Hope you recover soon and get a full range of movement back. Gonna need those pics tho

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
drat dude, get well!

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

I now set off metal detectors thanks to the plate in my wrist and the titanium screws in my leg

I quickly found out this isn't the case after getting my herbert screw. :sigh:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I quickly found out this isn't the case after getting my herbert screw. :sigh:

What, you want to get felt up by the TSA? :stare:

Call me, I got the uniform and everything

Anyways, Batcat, also sending well-wishes and also - do you have any photos of your helmet? It must have been one loving hell of a hit to fracture your skull through the helmet. What make and model was it?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

My dad had to get one of his doctor friends to call and tell them what to test for after I was in a steady declinein the ICU for a week talking loads of poo poo and not making any sense thanks to my oxygen starved brain. Went to a different hospital ASAP after that.

Three cheers for Dads Who Do Not Suffer Fools. Get better, and I wish you fat stacks--case sems open/shut, and you deserve it.

BlackMK4 posted:

Re: Your spill--sux, 21 eagle tear salute for that Duc. Glad you're unscathed.

Re: The Case of Base v. Track--it's not the noise, it's the economic impact. The same idiots yapped about A-10s in Tucson, so we said fine--WE'LL CLOSE IT. Response after running the numbers: Errrr, harrrumph, daarrrrr, wait, ummmmm, maybe we can work something out fellers, we were kidding, keep 'em flying boys! I doubt the track has much in the way of econ impact; wouldn't surprise me if they're getting harassed so the base can expand or some ahole can fill an apartment complex with more complainers who were somehow oblivious to the base's existence when they took the tour. Sportbikes in a pack are something your hear; F-16s are something you feel. There is no comparison. The latter firing up on dawn sorties served as my alarm clock for nearly a year.

Re: drat, your track is Luke's appendix: Sorry to gloss over Turn 14, but that leaped off the page and I went straight to the aerial pics. S'crazy, you're probably riding on top of old ammo dump. They had 10-12 aux fields fanned out over that whole area, and southern AZ as a whole looked like a gigantic staging area for an invasion of Mexico.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

n8r posted:

Wow - that's great that you're alive and going to make a full recovery. That sort of accident just goes to show that even wearing gear won't stop serious injury when enough forces are involved.

Is this a thing people actually need demonstrated? I see people on Facebook using this as a justification for not wearing gear and it's the most :psyduck: thing ever. Of course gear isn't going to protect you from everything, just the same as seatbelts don't. But you still wear a seatbelt, if you're not a loving idiot.

Batcat, that's hosed dude. I hope you heal up well.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

hot sauce posted:

A ticket and a few points on his license seems kind of unfair considering the therapy you have to go through. He should have his license suspended until you regain enough motor function to slap the poo poo out of him.

Over here being found guilty means at least 6 months without a license or more. Minor jail time is also possible.

Slavvy posted:

Based on him being in a right hand drive country with metric units I'd say he's either somewhere in continental europe or australia.

South Africa :v

Chichevache posted:

My insurance paid everything in hospital (my plan is hospital only, I'm 27 and healthy so I virtually never go to a doctor). About $40 000 to date. The follow up appointments, physical therapy and any meds I get now I pay myself. About a $1000 so far. If there is anything I get admitted to hospital for again insurance has to pay. We have pretty good legislation in this area so they can't drop me or hike my rates.

I was a lefty for about 4 weeks, now I can kind of type and use the mouse with my right hand. One of the nerves in my wrist was damaged so I lost all feeling in my index finger, middle finger and thumb, so I don't notice when my finger slips off the mouse and clicking the table produces no result. Nerve is slowly growing back and I am starting to get some sensation back. The same nerve also controls sweating on about 2/3 of the hand, so on the bright side I can't get sweaty palms for the time being.

Now for some pics, not sure what y'all are expecting but this is the only photo from the scene I have:

My arm after the first op, swelling too bad to close the wound:

Some X-Rays:

My arm later:

The exfix is about as much fun as it looks, prevents your wrist from being able to move in any way, got it in lieu of plaster. Also no plaster on my leg thanks to screws/plates.

My wrist now:

My BMW System 6 Helmet, skull fracture was above my eye socket but fairly minor. Breaking your femur hurts so much that skull fractures don't hurt at all:

All and all my gear saved my life and was worth every cent. Without the suit I'd be way way way worse off, thanks to it I only have these two fractures to recover from. Without it I'd have far less skin left and probably another few fractures, every area covered by the NP Protectors didn't have as much as a bruise. My gloves (GS Dry) made sure I broke nothing in my hands. My feet are unscathed. If I was wearing an open face helmet or one of those piss-pots harley riders love I very well might be dead.

The same day as me at the same hospital someone got admitted that got in a crash wearing nothing but a helmet, t-shirt and shorts. Not pretty. Fairly sure he's still there or dead.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:stare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:catstare:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. Glad you're alive.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

M42 posted:

:stare:
:catstare:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
drat, dude.

I need to buy better gear.

Akion fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 14, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Double posted

Akion fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 14, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Seriously. What the gently caress is wrong with me. Post=/=quote.

I don't even have alcohol to blame.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hadn't heard anything from the insurance company for almost a week and was starting to get a little antsy. Got a check in the mail for $1,555. Let the repairs commence!

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Hadn't heard anything from the insurance company for almost a week and was starting to get a little antsy. Got a check in the mail for $1,555. Let the repairs commence!

Why would anyone still mail cheques?

In other news I broke one of the screws in my femur by walking and a screw in my wrist is completely loose. At least thusfar everything is healing nicely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

In other news I broke one of the screws in my femur by walking and a screw in my wrist is completely loose. At least thusfar everything is healing nicely.

Loctite isn't medical safe yet?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

[/quote]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

I saw someone pay by a cheque in Costco the other day, the little girl in line with her mom ahead of me asked "Mommy what is that lady doing?"

• Locked thread