Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wish more challenges were in the realm of Slow Roll and Computer Savvy, in that they give you a fun item combo, rather then an item combo that sucks rear end to use like Beans/Cat Got Your Tongue.

Not really a fan of Solar System, Suicide King and Wakka Wakka either, but at least they seem more like a challenge then an exercise in frustration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do I get an eden token if I go to Sheol after beating Mom's Heart? Does it count for the ten victories to unlock the Dice?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstPersonShitter posted:

it replicates one of your other babies but doesnt work with lil brimstone. I had lil brimstone and lil gish and picked up mongo baby and it killed both of them and then did gish's shots.

Yeah, except I just saved and quit and now lil brimstone is back alive? Weird.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zoness posted:

To be fair there's also challenge 18 (iirc that's computer savvy) which is just easier than most runs you'll ever have.

It's a lot of fun though. Robo Baby 2.0 is really hard to use though.

Double technology with bendy shots is hilarious, I cleared that one in one go. The tank one is also not that hard with some decent RNG, and the "classy" one gives you a ton of gold if you use Flush in enemy-crowded rooms.

ninja edit: classy one is High Brow, challenge #2.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Kurtofan posted:

Do I get an eden token if I go to Sheol after beating Mom's Heart?

Pretty sure the Eden Token is awarded for every heart kill period.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Tollymain posted:

anybody know any good roguelites other than binding of isaac, risk of rain, spelunky, or nuclear throne?

i really want a dark souls-y roguelite now, thanks meat miracle t:mad:

Powder is an older roguelike that is free, but isn't on Steam. It's much more like Nethack with classes, skills, and gods. One thing I really like about it is that you can figure out tricks to test new potions. Dipping a club into a bottle of napalm creates a torch... instead of finding out that it tastes like burning :downs:

https://www.zincland.com/powder/?pagename=about

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Color Printer posted:

Pretty sure the Eden Token is awarded for every heart kill period.

Yup, even if you somehow die to a stray bullet in the boss room immediately after killing the heart you'll get an Eden Token even though your win streak doesn't actually increase. You also get the little heart icon next to your character on the select screen if you hadn't beaten the heart with that character before-- I'm pretty sure for all other intents and purposes though it doesn't count as a "win"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

For challenges theres always that one item that completely takes all the challenge out. For Cursed? I came across the Holy Mantle which negates 1 instance of damage every room effectively making all doors passable without damage. For Waka Waka grabbing brimstone makes a little magnetic black(red) hole of death which then fires off a brimstone soon after. I also keep completing the Guppy transformation compared to maybe getting it once in my entire WotL career.

Some of the challenges have me praying for a die room that rerolls my items. They should probably make those not spawn in challenge runs, but they're rare enough, so whatever.

I got Guppy basically every single post-Platinum-God run in the original game, even without the D6.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Do I get an eden token if I go to Sheol after beating Mom's Heart? Does it count for the ten victories to unlock the Dice?

The Dice? Are you talking about the D6? Cause the requirement to unlock that is beating Sheol with the blue baby.

In general, I don't think you can ever miss out on credit towards unlocks for moving onto the next stage. Always take a shot at Sheol/Cathedral if presented with the option prior to the hard unlock.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oxyclean posted:

I wish more challenges were in the realm of Slow Roll and Computer Savvy, in that they give you a fun item combo, rather then an item combo that sucks rear end to use like Beans/Cat Got Your Tongue.

Not really a fan of Solar System, Suicide King and Wakka Wakka either, but at least they seem more like a challenge then an exercise in frustration

Wakka Wakka stops being a challenge once you get a few tears/damage up items. I could put tears out fast enough that every enemy and boss was just immediately sucked into a magnetic black hole. You can do most bosses just by running around the room while holding the shoot button, and they'll be forced to hit every one of your tears.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
so, I learned that Mongo Baby (a baby that is supposed to copy another of your familiars) completely erases your lil brimstone for some reason. Just turned a fantastic run into a poo poo run :(

Edit: Wait, if I exit and continue, lil brimstone comes back. Thats a relief, but Mongo doesn't copy him, unfortunately

Observe Me fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 10, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, Is it just me, or does the Blue Baby feel kinda pointless now? In original BoI he was almost strictly a "more challenge" character, I can't remember exactly when he was added, but he also gated the D6 unlock for Issac so there was payoff to using him, and in Wrath of the Lamb he had the upside of being able to enter challenge rooms regardless of health.

But in Rebirth, his upsides/gimmick is taken by Azazel and his downsides/challenge mode is taken by The Lost. I guess there's no reason to remove him, and he still gates some items behind unlocks, but I don't really see any reason to ever play him after unlocking his stuff, but I suppose most people would say the same about Maggy and Eve.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
gently caress I hate that stupid boss with the bandages. He hits you with his brimstone attack 100% guaranteed unless you are both moving and close to him. And even then it's 50/50. What a lovely way to end a run

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Also, Is it just me, or does the Blue Baby feel kinda pointless now? In original BoI he was almost strictly a "more challenge" character, I can't remember exactly when he was added, but he also gated the D6 unlock for Issac so there was payoff to using him, and in Wrath of the Lamb he had the upside of being able to enter challenge rooms regardless of health.

But in Rebirth, his upsides/gimmick is taken by Azazel and his downsides/challenge mode is taken by The Lost. I guess there's no reason to remove him, and he still gates some items behind unlocks, but I don't really see any reason to ever play him after unlocking his stuff, but I suppose most people would say the same about Maggy and Eve.

Eve is pretty fun as a Judas that gets more hearts to sell to the devil, and Maggy occupies a similar spot except wrt isaac or lazarus, I'd argue.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zoness posted:

Eve is pretty fun as a Judas that gets more hearts to sell to the devil, and Maggy occupies a similar spot except wrt isaac or lazarus, I'd argue.

Yeah, they do have niches, I've just gotten the impression they tend to be peoples least favourite characters. My chest clear with maggy was just because I ended up with so many health ups that making deals was always easy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, they do have niches, I've just gotten the impression they tend to be peoples least favourite characters. My chest clear with maggy was just because I ended up with so many health ups that making deals was always easy.

Actually with the whore of babylon changes (no size change, procs at 1 heart instead of 1/2) I really like how eve plays out now, instead of basically being Judas but worse she has a niche and really rewards consistently getting devil rooms to pawn off your surplus hearts.

I liked whore of babylon in the original too but I really hated how it made you bigger too.

I don't like maggy because of her lower base speed and how yum heart is basically useless unless you have bum friend since the real point of maggy is to hit devil rooms and lower base speed makes that harder.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Judas, it was hilarious in the great run I had with him where after one devil room deal, the rest of the game he constantly got the heaven doors instead...to the point I killed Isaac in Heaven with him. And I still don't even have It's Lives unlocked yet.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Whore of Babylon being a full heart also makes it much easier to trigger in the womb and onwards.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

President Ark posted:

Whore of Babylon being a full heart also makes it much easier to trigger in the womb and onwards.

Is it just a full heart when you're playing as Eve? I picked it up on Isaac during a run and it only triggered at half a heart on him.

E for a bit of content: I unlocked Cain and Azazel last night, and holy poo poo i finally see what everyone had meant by Az being crazy. I wish I'd thought to screenshot it, but picking up Number One on him leads to barfing bright yellow everywhere.

I am still a bad at this game because despite about 8 hours in it, I have yet to make it past Depths 2. :saddowns:

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 10, 2014

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
scythes, poly, coal, tear bombs, bob's brain.

It didn't even matter that I suck with the brain and got hit a lot, that thing instantly killed every enemy it touched.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Beating Mom's Heart counts as a victory no matter what you choose to do afterwards. Think of Cathedral/Sheol runs as epilogues to your main run, not part of the run in themselves.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
which, for the record, is stupid

stats screen should tell me how many times I've beaten postgame bosses

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I've used the Red Candle on a few of the "no shooting" challenges to make them really easy. It recharges automatically over time - about 5 seconds - and does a TON of damage. Not enough to be worth using in a 'real' run, but in the challenge runs where you spend a lot of time just standing around, it makes it very easy. Also, The Bible is a fun find on floor 6.

So, question - how do I unlock Challenge #11?. I have every other challenge unlocked, and have completed 12 of them. I've Gotten 3 characters with a full unlock of Boss Rush/Isaac/Sheol/Chest/Dark Room, and the rest have a few of those things. Somehow, Challenge #11 hasn't unlocked yet. What do I need to do??

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Challenge 11 requires you to beat Challenge 19 (Which requires you to get to Mega Satan) It's pretty much the last challenge you'll unlock.

Don't know why they didn't order them better though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Challenge 11 requires you to beat Challenge 19 (Which requires you to get to Mega Satan) It's pretty much the last challenge you'll unlock.

I was under the horribly mistaken impression that Purist was the worst those maps had to offer. It's in bigger letters and everything!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gently caress yeah, got to the Cathedral for the first time and killed Isaac in one try. I was pretty worried for a bit there but honestly he seems a lot easier than Satan, or even It Lives and Mom's Heart. I feel pretty good about how the game is going so far, didn't really play the original but I have 12 wins for 24 deaths.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Oxyclean posted:

Oh. Thanks! I've done the spoilered part. On challenge 19, I died in the final boss room, and was just too sad (and too time consuming) to try it again right afterwards.

edit: Just looked it up. #19 needs an Isaac kill? Fuuuuck. I thought it was just Mom's Heart. gently caress that challenge so hard.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
So, apparently seeds work to unlock The Lost, can anyone confirm? And does anyone have a seed with an early Mulliboom? I'm getting sick of restarting.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Just did my Cain boss rush with Curse of Darkness. I took Technology as my powerup from that room and pretty much tried to keep all the bosses off screen while I sat against the wall and fired. It took forever because I got no damage up stuff earlier but at least I finished that.

Am I to understand there's nothing else to gain from the timed runs except 1 item per character(minus Isaac who seems to have 2)?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Just did my Cain boss rush with Curse of Darkness. I took Technology as my powerup from that room and pretty much tried to keep all the bosses off screen while I sat against the wall and fired. It took forever because I got no damage up stuff earlier but at least I finished that.

Am I to understand there's nothing else to gain from the timed runs except 1 item per character(minus Isaac who seems to have 2)?

Yeah, every character has an unlock from the boss rush (I'm not aware of Issac having 2, maybe you just triggered something else?) There's not a ton of reasons to do after you've unlocked the item, but if you have some kind of teleport you can grab an item and get out? Or if your build is already totally broken, it's another two items.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Got a run going as Blue Baby and I found the Wafer AND The Relic. Then I picked up Tiny Planet :suicide:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

Got a run going as Blue Baby and I found the Wafer AND The Relic. Then I picked up Tiny Planet :suicide:.

Just hold out until you get brimstone. You can do it!!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Passed up the Computer Savvy trophy 3 times (because I am a stubborn goddamned idiot) with the Passage rune and Shovel. Got to Satan and realized I only had 4 health left and the worst possible activated item given the current situation :stare:

My hands are still shaking :shepface:
(I only just now noticed the extra life though :downs:)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

High five one-hp buddy, I killed The Lamb on my first ??? run with 1 Soul Heart remaining and a projectile moving towards me :D

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Beat "Cat Got Your Tongue" completely on the back of an early Joker card getting me Lil' Brimstone as a buddy. Letter of the law, spirit of the law!

Also gently caress the Cellar. An entire level full of enemies that have high HP relative to the amount of damage upgrades you have (none), or rush you very fast relative to the speed upgrades you have (also none), or are spawners? Or heck, combine all three and fight The Haunt as a floor one boss. Sign me up!!!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I noticed that when I have only one Heart container that I play like a loving savant, but when I have tons of heart containers but only one heart left, I play like a goddamned moron.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Greed heads being hyper aggressive now is the worst. If you don't have jump, flight, ladder, or a poo poo ton of damage, it's so drat hard to not get hit by them on the wonderful narrow path layouts in depths.

I wish they'd go back to uselessly shooting at you when close enough. :(

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

They're not "no-hit" achievements, they're "no-damage" achievements. It ain't a bug, it's working as intended.

I managed to no-damage the Chest the 2nd time I got there, but I didn't get an achievement :(. I did get "hit" a few times though, but I had orbitals and damage reduction so it didnt count. At least I think I got hit, it was kind of hard to tell with all the rapid fire max damage double shot piercing homing fear tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZi2CXlMGo

I managed to do a boss rush with Eden the other day too, with Tooth shot radioactive fire mind Polyphemus Ipecac. Yes the Tooth would proc. It would one shot pretty much every boss except mama gurdy if it did.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Skaw posted:

Greed heads being hyper aggressive now is the worst. If you don't have jump, flight, ladder, or a poo poo ton of damage, it's so drat hard to not get hit by them on the wonderful narrow path layouts in depths.

I wish they'd go back to uselessly shooting at you when close enough. :(

Bone chuckers in the bomberman-esque rooms and walking hosts in rooms with those rear end in a top hat spitting statues are annoying as poo poo too. In general those stupid statues that don't stop shooting after the room is cleared should go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

Beat "Cat Got Your Tongue" completely on the back of an early Joker card getting me Lil' Brimstone as a buddy. Letter of the law, spirit of the law!

Also gently caress the Cellar. An entire level full of enemies that have high HP relative to the amount of damage upgrades you have (none), or rush you very fast relative to the speed upgrades you have (also none), or are spawners? Or heck, combine all three and fight The Haunt as a floor one boss. Sign me up!!!

Honestly I find a lot of bosses just have a ton of health when you consider where you fight them. They're not hard, they're just kinda tedious to fight without damage upgrades.