Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you sure these are the same people though? Plus, grudging acceptance is not the same as actually getting used to the map, so much as everything else being good enough to make up for it.

What a shame

that we no longer have

the old map styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please do not read the Paradox forums.

I would expect that this is at least partly why he doesn't like those overractions :v:

PleasingFungus posted:

What a shame

that we no longer have

the old map styles.

Oh god the original EU3 map was so bad I had forgotten :froggonk:

Why is it worse than the EU2 map? You would have thought that they would stick with 2D until the 3D map actually looked half decent.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I actually like that style. Only for that distance though. Gives it more of a map feel.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PleasingFungus posted:

What a shame

that we no longer have

the old map styles.

I admit I like Triangle/Heart Germany a lot.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Zeron posted:

Personally I like the change. The new counter system displays exactly as much information as the old NATO counters(except it groups similar units so it's way easier to actually look at!) so as far as I can tell the only difference is that you get to look at pretty models if you zoom in close enough and you aren't likely to need all that info at that point anyway.
I think we'll survive with icon counters IF sufficient variety in icon counters to account for the varying types of divisions. Are those tanks light, medium, or heavy? Are those infantry motorized? NATO counters tell us at a glance. Icons could if done right (after all, NATO counters are icons) but so far all we have seen are infantry and armor icons.

Would also be nice to have the ability to manually give divisions said icons. It could also be used for hilarious counterintelligence purposes in multiplayer: all my infantry are now called tank divisions, and all my planes are now boats.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

What a shame

that we no longer have

the old map styles.

There's a nice vintage Austria Snake in the first one!

The DW map (second image, for people who never played EU3) was really nice though. EU4's is certainly prettier but I don't think it's much better really.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gimmick Account posted:

I understand what you are trying to say (and I agree), but that's not the point that statement was making. Things like not being able to hold tournaments or go on hunts are unnecessary feature removals, even in a highly sexist medieval setting. You'd need to code a different set of tournament events for women (see Another Human's linked post above), but I really don't think that this aspect of the game should be any less interesting from a female perspective, even if you are more socially constrained in your options.

Something that also came up was that while Paradox seems to be going in the direction of limiting female rulers' abilities even more, it's the option to do opposite that would be more fun for players. There's no reason why, if the historical Basques and to some extent the Cathars are allowed to choose an absolute cognatic succession system, the highly speculative reformed pagans would be constrained from doing so. With a newly-written creation mythos, you're pretty much reshaping your entire society, anyway.

I agree with you, but luckily it's really easy to mod and change yourself.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GSD posted:

I admit I like Triangle/Heart Germany a lot.

IIRC, it was an attempt to recreate the Imperial Eagle of Germany.

It kinda works!

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

It's interesting to see where critique's of Paradox's design decisions go now that there are developers calling from inside the house.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PleasingFungus posted:

What a shame

that we no longer have

the old map styles.
Yeah, those aren't the ones people look back wistfully on. The first one had a decent shader/renderer/whatever for modding a nice "hand drawn" map though, in a way that is not actually possible in EU4 as far as I can tell. I absolutely think the maps Paradox makes are improving in quality, it's just that I wish they'd improve in a slightly different direction. (Or be much more flexible in terms of what modders can do.)

I do think the current crop of modded maps for EU4 are starting to look really good, but I can't help but wonder what the "Strannik's HandDrawn Map" equivalent for EU4 could have looked like.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 10, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jazerus posted:

The DW map (second image, for people who never played EU3) was really nice though. EU4's is certainly prettier but I don't think it's much better really.

I would have agreed with you before but the modded map I'm using now is just head and shoulders above anything I ever saw in EU3 in terms of visual clarity, presentation of information to the player (e.g. borders, terrain) and just straight up aesthetics. Though there were some pretty nice EU3 map mods (I especially remember that one which looked like an old flat map with little drawings of forests and marshes etc on it) and I feel like EU3 gave more options in that area for modding - or perhaps people just had more time to play with it to get results.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

What a shame

that we no longer have

the old map styles.

The DW zoomed-out map actually looks better than EU4's though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jazerus posted:

My personal favourites were the pre-DW map texture mods for EU3. Specifically TOT and HDM, from a purely aesthetical perspective. For usability, V2's map had all a man could ever ask for: a political mapmode in which you could see province terrain.

Epinephrine posted:

I think we'll survive with icon counters IF sufficient variety in icon counters to account for the varying types of divisions. Are those tanks light, medium, or heavy? Are those infantry motorized? NATO counters tell us at a glance. Icons could if done right (after all, NATO counters are icons) but so far all we have seen are infantry and armor icons.

Would also be nice to have the ability to manually give divisions said icons. It could also be used for hilarious counterintelligence purposes in multiplayer: all my infantry are now called tank divisions, and all my planes are now boats.

From the statements made, their icons/sprites will be made to maximise usefulness. The counters have a sort of aesthetic that makes me revolted that they're cut from the game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh god the original EU3 map was so bad I had forgotten :froggonk:

That's not even the original, it's from Heir to the Throne

This is the original original :barf:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

GrossMurpel posted:

The DW zoomed-out map actually looks better than EU4's though.

Nah.

(I honestly have never really felt there was anything wrong with EU4's map. People say it looks doughy and weird but I think it looks fine :shrug:)

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

SeaTard posted:

Funny, I've actually had this exact exchange with someone in the other thread.

It's easy to mod Crusader Kings 2 superficially, yes, but as I found out during a reformed Suomenusko game waaay back, just having your realm set to an absolute cognatic law will not change a lot of things that are going on 'under the hood', so to say. Many events have flat 'female = no' conditions snuck into them somewhere that disregard all laws, so I couldn't actually go on hunts, for example. The viking warrior events do not happen for reformed Norse queens who have absolute cognatic primogeniture modded in, either.

There's a lot that needs to be changed internally about the way the game treats gender issues, so that they can be decided by realm law instead. Only THEN will this stuff actually be 'easy to mod'.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SeaTard posted:

:jerkbag:

As someone who mods this game, there's nothing easy about modding.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also there's plenty of things that can't be easily modded, like the AI marrying off women in Absolute Cognatic realms almost the same way they could marry off women in Agnatic realms, and I end up noticing the sister I gave the Duchy of Normandy to decided to regular marry her second oldest to a 56 year old hunchback Count. Yeah thanks, I was totally trying to give that dude's dynasty a claim on the Kingdom of France.

I get that the middle ages were not a time of progressive thought or anything, but a lot of these restrictions and problems with female rulers really can make the game feel unfun at times. Plus if my realms succession laws treat women and men equally, I find it hard to believe everyone would still be marrying off their 16 year old daughters with strong claims to the kingdom to random counts.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

:jerkbag:

As someone who mods this game, there's nothing easy about modding.

Maybe I've just been doing it for too many years, but it's pretty straight forward, especially when you are simply changing something that already exists.

AI things of course are a whole different story, which as the others said, is a definite downside to making Absolute Cognatic available to everyone. It seems to work best when combined with a religion that allows sibling marriages, especially if you make sure that the majority of your realm is also the same dynasty.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Farecoal posted:

This is the original original :barf:

Oh God, I remember this. And when EU3 came out Austria was red for some reason. Good times.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

SeaTard posted:

Maybe I've just been doing it for too many years, but it's pretty straight forward, especially when you are simply changing something that already exists.

AI things of course are a whole different story, which as the others said, is a definite downside to making Absolute Cognatic available to everyone. It seems to work best when combined with a religion that allows sibling marriages, especially if you make sure that the majority of your realm is also the same dynasty.

I've also been modding Paradox games for over a decade, but there's seriously nothing 'straightforward' about, for example, finding every single reference to females scattered across all the event files and then trying to engineer a solution that does what you want without making the whole interconnected thing collapse. Note that I'm not arguing for a removal of the female ban on certain activities, just for making it based on realm law and opening THAT part up where appropriate.

I would really appreciate it if the people who did this kind of stuff for a living every day tried their hand at repairing the gender/fun divide instead of me, the happy amateur.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hey y'all whats going on in here?

Sorry just rollin' out in my flame tank.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

I feel like the counter/sprite distinction in HoI is such a core part of the series

Hey I just wanted to back this conversation up and ask to you: are you loving serious right now

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

Hey I just wanted to back this conversation up and ask to you: are you loving serious right now

Perhaps the distinction less than the ability to play with counters at every level, but yeah. Counters have been in the HoI series longer than pretty much every other part of the game you see. It just seems silly to now suddenly decide that they were actually bad all this time. It'd be like EA going "You know, vehicles in Battlefield are actually not that fun, so we're going to only make them available as killstreak bonuses from now on."

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

except not because counters have literally no effect on the gameplay.

Just say its a creature comfort your irrationally attached to. Christ, this aint debate club, you aint gotta explain poo poo.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Perhaps the distinction less than the ability to play with counters at every level, but yeah. Counters have been in the HoI series longer than pretty much every other part of the game you see. It just seems silly to now suddenly decide that they were actually bad all this time. It'd be like EA going "You know, vehicles in Battlefield are actually not that fun, so we're going to only make them available as killstreak bonuses from now on."

Counters have been in the game longer than Germans, battles, tanks, Europe

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, where are you all seeing this? What do you see on HoI4 if you're all zoomed out? Do you just see helmets in the distance or something?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

This is the closeup stuff.

This is what you see if you're zoomed out.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Okay. Looking at this picture:

Could you please explain to me how the difference between the unit icons in HoI 4 and the counters in HoI 2 or 3 is in any way, shape or form comparable to removing a major gameplay feature from a different game?

Like I honestly do not comprehend what you are saying. When I think "major gameplay features" of the Hearts of Iron games, I think combat systems (for land, air and sea), army creation (down to at least the division level), industry management and a bit of politics/espionage/diplomacy. I do not think "the exact specifics of how units are represented on screen", because as long as it's functional (and based on the screenshots we know that is the case - we see unit type, number, strength and organisation all on the same card which is either the same as or more than HoI 2 or 3 had) it doesn't loving matter.

e: and keep in mind, those unit icons are visible at every single zoom level. Is it seriously a deal breaker for you that in addition to the most detailed and intuitive unit icons Paradox has made, a little sprite is there as well?

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 11, 2014

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I think I've figured out what everyone is so upset about.

See the unit icon and counter? Now look left, more left, there.

Benghazi.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

fermun posted:

This is the closeup stuff.

This is what you see if you're zoomed out.

Guys...

...guys. Guys. loving guys. You still haven't fixed the flags of the Netherlands and Yugoslavia. You still have the two the wrong way around! Like, come the gently caress on, you had this poo poo wrong back in DD8 at the very least, and that was three months ago! Oh, and yes, it's "Netherlands", not "Holland". It doesn't work that way. I only live next to the Netherlands and I worked this out.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

Okay. Looking at this picture:

Could you please explain to me how the difference between the unit icons in HoI 4 and the counters in HoI 2 or 3 is in any way, shape or form comparable to removing a major gameplay feature from a different game?

Like I honestly do not comprehend what you are saying. When I think "major gameplay features" of the Hearts of Iron games, I think combat systems (for land, air and sea), army creation (down to at least the division level), industry management and a bit of politics/espionage/diplomacy. I do not think "the exact specifics of how units are represented on screen", because as long as it's functional (and based on the screenshots we know that is the case - we see unit type, number, strength and organisation all on the same card which is either the same as or more than HoI 2 or 3 had) it doesn't loving matter.

e: and keep in mind, those unit icons are visible at every single zoom level. Is it seriously a deal breaker for you that in addition to the most detailed and intuitive unit icons Paradox has made, a little sprite is there as well?

Deal Breaker? No. Important enough to make a post in an internet message board thread about the game? Yes. I just thought that the counter/sprites system was something that paradox had gotten perfectly right before and that didn't need any improvements. It's not just the way information is presented on the screen, it is also part of the entire look and feel of the game. Sprites are not something I think of when I think HoI. As long as I could chose between one or the other, there was no problem, but now paradox has apparently decided that mandatory soldier figurines are necessary instead of optional.

But like I said, I'm perfectly willing to wait for a demo to be proven wrong and stupid.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Counters have been in the game longer than Germans, battles, tanks, Europe

They have been in exactly as long as Germans, battles, tanks and Europe, yes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm less concerned about the counters and more concerned that I'm definitely gonna need a better computer to have a hope in hell of displaying that map. I can't even drag-select in EU IV without things breaking, this is gonna destroy me :smithicide:.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As a new player to the series I have no idea what any of this is about but I find it very amusing that people are so concerned about lines/map colors/unit icons.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You guys are really worked up on how the map looks in map game.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rutibex posted:

As a new player to the series I have no idea what any of this is about but I find it very amusing that people are so concerned about lines/map colors/unit icons.

As an old player of this series I know exactly what this is about, and I find it absolutely hilarious that some of the people here complaining about the lack of counters or the extra prettiness on the map are the same people who railed against the guy who wanted population pyramids in V3.

Also I really like the new hybrid counter/model system and if you have the option to change the little helmet icons to NATO mode that'll be enough for me.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Rutibex posted:

People want the units on the map to look like this:

Each counter represents ~10,000 soldiers, and the type of soldiers they are represented by symbols. That has been changed to the new setup where there's a symbol of a helmet to say they are infantry instead of a counter with an X on it and a number 1 means ~10,000 soldiers, whereas 2 means ~20,000 soldiers, etc.. Additionally there is now a small icon of a man on the map instead of just being the counter and people do not want that man to be there. Then there's also been a change to make the terrain map have a ~1 province wide colored border instead of coloring every province on the map to show control.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just hope that in hoi4 there's enough room in the tech tree for the inevitable cold war extension mods.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

fermun posted:

Then there's also been a change to make the terrain map have a ~1 province wide colored border instead of coloring every province on the map to show control.

Which, frankly, is probably the most offensive change.

Purely political map mode FOREVER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dang that's blue. :stare:

That's really blue. Like, Beyond Earth fails to look as unearthly as that.

(I like it)

My only real concern about the counters is that the new ones seem a lot smaller and potentially easy to read.

Also it fucks up the atmosphere of the thing, but that one was a goner as soon as the bright and cheerful map walked in the door.

• Locked thread