Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think there was some kind of detach mode that made it not squish windows but i dont remember how i did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
of course when you detach it you can't resize the keyboard (afaik) so it just sticks in the way of any text fields you're trying to type into

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Phoenixan posted:

of course when you detach it you can't resize the keyboard (afaik) so it just sticks in the way of any text fields you're trying to type into
:msft:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its almost like a desktop os isnt very good as a tablet one

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
so there are $99 windows tablets now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPNzx8bcVQ

surprisingly they don't look like complete garbage. thin, IPS display, and full windows 8.1. quad core atom finally gets good battery life with meh to decent performance. however only 1 gig of memory means opening chrome without even a web page loaded and the device is at 84% memory usage LOL

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

so there are $99 windows tablets now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPNzx8bcVQ

surprisingly they don't look like complete garbage. thin, IPS display, and full windows 8.1. quad core atom finally gets good battery life with meh to decent performance. however only 1 gig of memory means opening chrome without even a web page loaded and the device is at 84% memory usage LOL

that's pretty drat impressive for $99, but they really should have stuck in an extra gig of ram and bumped the price to $119 or something

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm kind of annoyed that he doesn't even demo it as a tablet. he just puts it on a stand and immediately plugs a keyboard and mouse into it

but i guess we already know how well windows 8.1 actually functions as a tablet os

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Not even wireless mouse & keyboard.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
also the mouse pointer was there before he even plugged the mouse into it

what a pos tablet

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Thanks Ants posted:

its almost like a desktop os isnt very good as a tablet one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

also the mouse pointer was there before he even plugged the mouse into it

what a pos tablet

the touchscreen probably emulates a mouse or something equally hilarious

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
lol you can't charge it while having a usb device plugged in

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

the touchscreen probably emulates a mouse or something equally hilarious

hasn't that how touchpads and touchscreens behaved on desktop operating systems since forever. I only ask because I hope we as a subforum can improve in our delivering of funny computer related burns; theres been some seriously weak poo poo in the past few pages like, "lol, the mouse pointer is visable"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

hasn't that how touchpads and touchscreens behaved on desktop operating systems since forever. I only ask because I hope we as a subforum can improve in our delivering of funny computer related burns; theres been some seriously weak poo poo in the past few pages like, "lol, the mouse pointer is visable"

lovely ones, yeah

a good implementation would have distinct touch events, for example if i'm using a laptop with a touchscreen i should be able to do something with my mouse and then tap a button elsewhere without the cursor snapping to the touch point but nooooooooo

(that's a made up scenario but still)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Epic

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the gently caress? i just installed office 2010 in french and am getting asked if i want my default filetype to be Office Open XML format or OpenDocument format, did they get spanked by the eu so hard i can see it from here in quebec?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

univbee posted:

the gently caress? i just installed office 2010 in french and am getting asked if i want my default filetype to be Office Open XML format or OpenDocument format, did they get spanked by the eu so hard i can see it from here in quebec?

i guess french = france as far as MS is concerned

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

i guess french = france as far as MS is concerned

we don't get the browser choice screen although i think i saw it once doing a remote setup from overseas

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

i just looked up Office Open XML on wikipedia because i know most non-ms software has problems reading docx/pptx/etc. so i wanted to see if it was really "open"

and this is literally the first thing in the article:

quote:

Not to be confused with Open Office XML or Microsoft Office XML formats.

lmao ms branding strikes again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

quote:

During standardisation within Ecma the specification grew to approximately 6,000 pages. It was approved as an Ecma standard (ECMA-376) on December 7, 2006. The standard can be downloaded from Ecma free of charge.

holy gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but that includes excel which by itself is probably like 4000 pages. also having using openxml via their sdk its really good and easy 2 work w/.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah and OOXML has a whole bunch of attributes like "render this footnote using the algorithm used by Microsoft Word 6"

"Open" in the name of a software related thing = "People's Republic Of" in the name of a country

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah but that includes excel which by itself is probably like 4000 pages. also having using openxml via their sdk its really good and easy 2 work w/.

Using XML is never good or easy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

yeah and OOXML has a whole bunch of attributes like "render this footnote using the algorithm used by Microsoft Word 6"

"Open" in the name of a software related thing = "People's Republic Of" in the name of a country

yes if you're opening a word 6 doc you converted to openxml. if you start from scratch it doesn't contain that stuff and you can write openxml w/out any of that that renders fine in word.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shaggar: But Bill Gates said XML is really cool!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

Using XML is never good or easy

its both good and easy. you can tell when someone is a huge idiot because they dont understand xml and think its bad.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Dog posted:

to be fair ooxml strict does not, but ooxml strict is dumb

just go odf and gently caress it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

to be fair ooxml strict does not, but ooxml strict is dumb

just go odf and gently caress it

office now supports odf so gently caress using it for anything else

office online is totes better than gdocs anyway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its both good and easy. you can tell when someone is a huge idiot because they dont understand xml and think its bad.

a lot of people also think that databases shouldn't have schemas. these people also write xml

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Shaggar posted:

XML is great! actually, nope.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

office online is totes better than gdocs anyway

It isn't, it's a terrible imitation of desktop Word.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

a lot of people also think that databases shouldn't have schemas. these people also write xml

they probably dont write good xml tho.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shaggar posted:

they probably dont write good xml tho.

nobody writes good xml. you cant write something that cant possibly exist.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

It isn't, it's a terrible imitation of desktop Word.

sry gdocs is rear end

word online at least works with word desktop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

IPvSH6T posted:

yes you can. I do it all the time.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the only good online word processor is pages

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wp51.exe supremacy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

IPvSH6T posted:

fine I'll give you that xml is ugly, good xml is any xml that has a meaningful schema and actually follows the schema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Captain Foo posted:

wp51.exe supremacy

lawyer spotted

• Locked thread