Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know what Aeons of Death is, I assume a WAD, but I like BL2. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's "hey, from what FPS game this weapon/monster was ripped?" question in form of a 300+ megabytes gameplay mod. I kind of like it, but many people don't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Obviously what we need is Brütäl Æöns of Brütäl Dëäth, and I'm disappointed in the Doom community that it does not already exist.

I'm pretty sure that sentence caused 1 if not 2 Swedish death metal bands to spontaneously pop into existence.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Arivia posted:

I'm pretty sure that sentence caused 1 if not 2 Swedish death metal bands to spontaneously pop into existence.
Could've been three if we had more umlauts.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Now I want a Brütal Legend-based WAD, thanks.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Eh, I didn't really like Aeons of Death; too many weapons and stuff for my taste. I prefer classic Doom's simplicity and speed; AoD just added more to concern yourself with.

Right now I'm starting on Brutalized Doom II (with Brutal Doom, as suggested), which is odd because I usually don't like slaughtery WADs. I guess the familiarity of Doom II's maps helps, because they're just expanded upon rather than remade.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

laserghost posted:

It's "hey, from what FPS game this weapon/monster was ripped?" question in form of a 300+ megabytes gameplay mod. I kind of like it, but many people don't.

Yeah I actually enjoy it (in small doses), too. My main problem with the mod, however, is that you can carry way too many guns.

"Way too many guns?" you might ask. How is such a thing possible?

Well it is. I've gotten killed quite a few times because I was too preoccupied with scrambling through my inventory for an appropriate gun. I can't recall off the top of my head how many weapons you can carry at any given moment, but it's probably close to 40, with each key cycling through 3 or 4 weapons. The "how" of how some weapons are assigned into a grouping isn't entirely clear, either, so you might press "6" and turn up a gun that you would never think would belong with rocket launchers or plasma guns or whatever. And there are a lot more weapons that you can possibly carry, so you'll probably never have the same loadout between games. So between forgetting what 3 dozen guns you're carrying and which button will produce a specific one, your biggest opponent is generally your arsenal.

It sounds insane, but I wish there was an option to only have a single weapon assigned to each of the number keys, 0-9. Then you could just hold on to whatever you want and toss guns as you come across something more preferable.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Speaking of, does anyone remember and know where to get the old weapon mod I think was called insane.wad that had all the guns from the games and you could carry nearly 60 weapons.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I actually enjoy it (in small doses), too. My main problem with the mod, however, is that you can carry way too many guns.

"Way too many guns?" you might ask. How is such a thing possible?

Well it is. I've gotten killed quite a few times because I was too preoccupied with scrambling through my inventory for an appropriate gun. I can't recall off the top of my head how many weapons you can carry at any given moment, but it's probably close to 40, with each key cycling through 3 or 4 weapons. The "how" of how some weapons are assigned into a grouping isn't entirely clear, either, so you might press "6" and turn up a gun that you would never think would belong with rocket launchers or plasma guns or whatever. And there are a lot more weapons that you can possibly carry, so you'll probably never have the same loadout between games. So between forgetting what 3 dozen guns you're carrying and which button will produce a specific one, your biggest opponent is generally your arsenal.

It sounds insane, but I wish there was an option to only have a single weapon assigned to each of the number keys, 0-9. Then you could just hold on to whatever you want and toss guns as you come across something more preferable.
Don't later versions of AoD have an option to do exactly that? It's been a while since I tried it, but I remember there being some kind of optional system (based on your player class I think) where you could only carry one weapon per slot (or some small number, I can't remember) and had to drop weapons to make room.

Lork fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 11, 2014

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Aeons of Death? Didn't that win like worst mod of the year or some poo poo? :smug:

Yeah. For the same thing Russian Overkill got an award for. :v: Needless to say, there was an acne-ridden slapfest that occurred in Doomworld shortly after.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the three-weapons-per-weapon-type worked fine, but I know where you're getting at - especially when some of the weapons feel samey or take priority over everything else (I picked up more Painkiller weapons than anything else - AEOD 5 had a similar problem with Dark Forces weapons, if I recall).

^ Also, what he said. It's been a while since I fired up AEOD, though.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Aeons of Death should just replace your current gun with the new one you picked up and have universal ammo

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

Aeons of Death should just replace your current gun with the new one you picked up and have universal ammo

Free idea for anyone who's good at Doom modding: Super Crate Box X Doom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think I haven't checked in with a new AEoD version since v5.2X, so it's very possible that the newest version has some sort of weapon-limiting feature. I just remember asking about it on their official forums and basically getting a crazy look--never expected it (or something like it) to actually happen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shadow Hog posted:

Could've been three if we had more umlauts.

We do!
Look at all them umlauts: åäæöøüëïÿ

The problem is more that they wouldn't be Swedish (or even Scandinavian) death metal bands, since almost all those umlauts carry meaning around here and would therefore look absurd to the trained eye. So it'd have to be some wish-we-were-Scandinavian fake metal band from Essex.

…the classic example is the metal band that accidentally called itself “the sweater” (connotations of something warm and cozy) because of its umlaut abuse.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Aeons of Death does have a weapon limit in the newer versions. I always turned it off though :black101:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As this seems to be the general Retro FPS thread, I figure this is as good a place as any.

The other day, I managed to dig up a super-obscure indie FPS from 6-7 years back, developed by a single guy in Uruguay. TECNO: The Base, and I want to share it with you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kClGb8kdf6w

It was only on sale direct from the developer for a time, and then the site got pulled, claiming that there was an IOS/Android relaunch happening. It never surfaced, and the developer doesn't seem to have done anything online under his name in about 4 years. The Wayback Machine tells me that shortly before the official site was deleted, the game was temporarily free for all to download, so it makes it probably more 'freeware' than 'abandonware', but either way the only place I was able to find the final release was an obscure Russian warez site - not even a single torrent exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AffYOZz_KQU

It's absolutely retro in style. Halfway between PSX and PS2 graphics. Chunky low-poly aesthetic and so much coloured lighting it hurts. It's an interesting mashup of styles. Part trad FPS, part survival horror, part point-and-click adventure with some Myst-like bits in there. The puzzles are pretty clever. There's even a bit of vehicular combat as shown in that second video above.

Anyway, after unpacking it and verifying that it had no viruses, I bundled TECNO back up, and uploaded it for all here. It's pretty neat, and very different, being a curious mash-up of a half dozen genres. 181mb download, 7zip compressed, and it should run on just about any PC known to man as it runs on the DX8-based Blitz3D engine.

Edit: There's a cheat panel that you can open by going into the credits scroll and typing CHEATECNO, in case you want to skip ahead.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 11, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Brütäl Æöns of Brütäl Dëäth is something I would unironically play and enjoy the poo poo out of :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I dig the way the laser rifle keeps firing particles and making a mess during the cocking and reload(?) animations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I dig the way the laser rifle keeps firing particles and making a mess during the cocking and reload(?) animations.

That gun is surprisingly fun to use, and incredibly squirrely. Kinda reminds me of Ghostbusters proton packs. It pulls hard in every direction and you need to pull back to keep the beam facing anywhere near forwards.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 11, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JackMackerel posted:

I still insist Aeons of Death was better than Borderlands 2. :colbert:

Borderlands 2 is a whole ton of content with a pretty badly balanced and not super deep core game that is still fun in bursts.

So yeah they're pretty drat similar :haw:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think this has been posted here, but it looks pretty insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYI9LFP0K6U

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I love both the fantastic and practical applications of it. You can finally make moving sectors!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cat Mattress posted:

This is really loving radical.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I love both the fantastic and practical applications of it. You can finally make moving sectors!

My first thought was that you could use it to fake an elevator. Not sure why you *would*, being planar is one of Doom's big advantages for mapping, but you could.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I need to try that at some point. I really love the idea of potentially making impossible geometry, like Lunatic Fringe from Duke Nukem 3D's second episode.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That makes my brain hurt, you could make some pretty trippy maps with that I bet. :psyduck:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Starhawk64 posted:

That makes my brain hurt, you could make some pretty trippy maps with that I bet. :psyduck:

Soon, Prey will come to Doom.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Someone should use that to build a really hellish Tricks and Traps, where you constantly think you're back in the starting area...

And then someone should beat it with a pistol start anyways :)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
If you can beat E4M2 on UV with a pistol start, you can beat anything on UV with a pistol start.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

I need to try that at some point. I really love the idea of potentially making impossible geometry, like Lunatic Fringe from Duke Nukem 3D's second episode.

Weird, I don't remember that level, though I remember the name. Did the designer gently caress with the player using geometry, or was it used to just get more space out of the map area?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird, I don't remember that level, though I remember the name. Did the designer gently caress with the player using geometry, or was it used to just get more space out of the map area?

It's a hallway that loops in on itself twice.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

5-D Space from Marathon 2 is left sadly forgotten in the corner, crying, yet again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Malek posted:

Soon, Prey will come to Doom.

Prey is already at Doom, it used id tech 4 :v:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Cat Mattress posted:

Some of the sections reminded me of this Dark Forces level I played once. It basically was designed to show off all the tricks in the engine, so you would get similar situations where you would have a stairway to nowhere, you would have weird poo poo going on, you would have a total change in scenery by crossing some plane.

The Dark Forces and Build era sprite engines were interesting in just all the hosed up ways they worked.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Prey was a neat game with some interesting level design, not too many FPS games let you walk on the ceiling and walls, and hey instead of having to reload the game when you die, just play a little minigame and respawn!

Too bad the sequel is probably never going to happen. Prey ended on such a sequel tease.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RyokoTK posted:

5-D Space from Marathon 2 is left sadly forgotten in the corner, crying, yet again.

It's ok, I remember, also it's a cool DM map.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

RyokoTK posted:

My first thought seeing the video it's remake of 5-D Space, because the beginning room is very similar.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Keiya posted:

My first thought was that you could use it to fake an elevator. Not sure why you *would*, being planar is one of Doom's big advantages for mapping, but you could.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see what this actually looks like in an editor, or in the in-game map for that matter. I'm guessing that it still is planar, only with linked areas spread out the same as you'd do with old teleport-crazy maps.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Starhawk64 posted:

Prey was a neat game with some interesting level design, not too many FPS games let you walk on the ceiling and walls, and hey instead of having to reload the game when you die, just play a little minigame and respawn!

Too bad the sequel is probably never going to happen. Prey ended on such a sequel tease.

Prey was loving great, and it was a way better Duke Nukem Forever than what we got. Anyone who doesn't agree is just wrong. :colbert:

It's cool looking at videos of older versions of DNF to pick out the little things that ended up in Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I'll once again point to the UnrealEngine 1 games, all of which actually supported this (and probably later iterations of the engine as well, but I had largely stop mapping by then).

There were a few very fun DM maps that made use of portals to that, or similar Esher-esque effects, or to create Penrose stairs as a centrepiece for the level.