Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What the gently caress is Jackie Chan doing there? Isn't he still a mega-star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I too like Cuba Booding Jr.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cuba Budding Jr.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Vagabundo posted:

So who's had the worse post-Oscar career: Adrien Brody or Cuba Gooding, jr? My vote goes to Brody. At least CBj still pops up in theatrically released films.

Brody did The Brothers Bloom.

Brody wins.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I don't think I've seen one Cuba Gooding Jr. movie after Men of Honor. He's made 20(+?) since then.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zenintrude posted:

Brody did The Brothers Bloom.

Brody wins.

He's also been in two Wes Anderson films. That's certainly something.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Cuba does birthday party appearances.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Shadowboxer would be an albatross around the neck of a successful career, for somebody like Cuba Gooding Jr. it's so sad that it isn't even a punchline anymore.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm not doing research on this to verify this and ruin my theory, but my pet theory is that it's one of the few scripts he's gotten that doesn't ask him to do crazy-rear end stunts and values his "acting" ability.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

muscles like this? posted:

You know what's really weird?

That people are fans of Hayden Christensen and there is a website devoted to his stardom and news related to such? :v:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Really wish that jackie chan movie was directed by Lee Daniels

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not doing research on this to verify this and ruin my theory, but my pet theory is that it's one of the few scripts he's gotten that doesn't ask him to do crazy-rear end stunts and values his "acting" ability.

I know he doesn't want to do the crazy stunts anymore, plus he and jet li and Samo Hung have been paying to keep the ballet fighting school open

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He's also one of those actors who always keeps working no matter what.

Like Michael Caine on Jaws 3: "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Dude's Chinese. He's like, literally, a Chinese person. He an actor too, so he's a Chinese actor. So, to me, at least, the idea that he's in a Chinese movie isn't like, totally unbelievable crazy. 'Cause he's also been in a bunch of Chinese movies.

So what we have here is, a Chinese actor appearing in a Chinese movie. He's a big-time Chinese actor, but this is a big enough time Chinese movie that they've sprung for some American actors.

So, to summarize, big-time Chinese actor stars in major Chinese movie.

I hope this has cleared up your confusion.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, that movie is actually a really large production by China's standards. It isn't a straight to home video release. It's not getting much noise in the West, but that's not its target market.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

He's also one of those actors who always keeps working no matter what.

Like Michael Caine on Jaws 3: "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

That was actually Jaws 4 or "Jaws: The Revenge"

:goonsay:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Obviously he was talking about Dennis Quaid's house.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Dude's Chinese. He's like, literally, a Chinese person. He an actor too, so he's a Chinese actor. So, to me, at least, the idea that he's in a Chinese movie isn't like, totally unbelievable crazy. 'Cause he's also been in a bunch of Chinese movies.

So what we have here is, a Chinese actor appearing in a Chinese movie. He's a big-time Chinese actor, but this is a big enough time Chinese movie that they've sprung for some American actors.

You're being really condescending over something that wasn't really all that clear. I thought it was a 47 Ronin type deal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You're being really condescending over something that wasn't really all that clear. I thought it was a 47 Ronin type deal.

I'm just glad we got it all cleared up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Chinese film market is interesting in that it only allows 34 foreign films into the country, it's out of a fear that international imports will decimate the local film industry.
In the case of Avatar, they were worried it would destroy any returns for Confucius, which no one really was interested. So they got cunning and declared if anyone saw Confucius, they could get a ticket for Avatar - thus stuffing the box office for that film, as well as filling bins with discarded tickets.

The use of American actors in Chinese productions are a continuation in finding ways to create a draw for Chinese audiences.

And with China being a massive international box office draw, filming Chinese exclusive scenes is one way to make sure your film gets shown in the country.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

He's also been in two Wes Anderson films. That's certainly something.

Three, actually. Although this is more a single line appearance than a real role:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I'm going to leave this here without any comment.

(Except "Grumpycat's Worst Christmas Ever is looking better all the time!")

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Distorted Kiwi posted:

I take your Kirk Cameron and raise you this.

And proof that this is not a photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVstztozgvg

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Are they trying to one-up the Yogi Bear poster?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I take your Kirk Cameron and raise you this.

And proof that this is not a photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVstztozgvg

Slap a grainy filter on that, and it's police evidence!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

At first I felt sorry for Joel McHale for having to stoop to poo poo like this, but apparently that's not him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He looks like one of those no nose photoshops.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

It's just missing the "GET OUT" speech bubble...

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
New Major Lazer video looking weird.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the real life version of that side kick dude from Super Jail!

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

boom boom boom posted:

A major Chinese movie filmed entirely in English, written by a Brit, funded by Telefilm Canada and an Australian film company, and not released in Chinese theatres

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Remember Crazy Frog? He's back in Kirk Cameron form.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The ad for Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce that was banned from buses and subways.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
This is the face Jesus would be making.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

The ad for Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce that was banned from buses and subways.

Is that Lisa Edelstein? I can barely recognize her.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

I just saw this ad the other day.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

davidspackage posted:

Is that Lisa Edelstein? I can barely recognize her.

Because you've developed glaucoma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Erebus posted:

I don't think I can take any of this seriously.
Jackie Chan looks.. off in this poster. Like they've somehow made him look less Chinese or something.

Also "Dragon Blade" is such a hilariously generic name. Like the name of a third rate RPG or something.