Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Oh, also, the To the Moon guys released a new game.

I haven't played it yet, and the description will surely make it a hard sell for most people I think, but it looks really great to me. Mostly because of said description.

quote:

From the creator of To the Moon: A simple & surreal 1-hour short about a boy and an injured bird -- a light interactive animation without dialogues.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327410 @ $5

A boy and his injured bird. :3: This game was made solely for me, and no one can convince me otherwise.

Anyway, it's not very RPG-ish, if at all, but To the Moon pops up here often enough that I figured I would mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The psp version of trails is the port, not vice versa. The steam version is the definitive version since it adds widescreen, and higher resolutions to the original, as well as backporting all psp additions. It was pretty unstable at first though

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BloodWulfe posted:

Oh, also, the To the Moon guys released a new game.

I haven't played it yet, and the description will surely make it a hard sell for most people I think, but it looks really great to me. Mostly because of said description.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327410 @ $5

A boy and his injured bird. :3: This game was made solely for me, and no one can convince me otherwise.

Anyway, it's not very RPG-ish, if at all, but To the Moon pops up here often enough that I figured I would mention it.

I'm liking the reviews section, I have to say.

quote:

Reviews

“I guess the music's nice-ish, but it sounds kinda ripped off from To the Moon...”
-Developer's Aunt

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
$5 for a one hour game? That isn't actually really even a game? my wallet

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

The psp version of trails is the port, not vice versa. The steam version is the definitive version since it adds widescreen, and higher resolutions to the original, as well as backporting all psp additions. It was pretty unstable at first though

It's actually got some assets from the Japan-only PS3 port too (mostly portraits.)

EDIT: \/ I'm hoping SEGA considers porting Resonance of Fate and maybe Bayonetta 1 but the latter is wishful thinking.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 9, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Mokinokaro posted:

It's actually got some assets from the Japan-only PS3 port too (mostly portraits.)

A lot of the UI got ported from PS3 as well. It's a great port now that most bugs are gone and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Get TiTS and VC1 now, get TiTS2 and VC2 next year! Well, VC2 and VC3 is wishful thinking, but you never know. There is always a chance!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

What are our thoughts on Soma Bringer?

If you can get one or two other people to play with, it can be a pretty fun, if repetitive game. The plot is very Takahashi, the music is fantastic, and you see hints of Xenoblade throughout the game's design. That said, it's not a challenging game, and it's not very fun playing solo. YMMV.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I just plowed through LOH: Trails in the Sky on Steam over the past week or so and god damnit I should have just waited until SC came out damnit damnit damnit. :suicide:

I mean I guess I should have figured with there being a "second chapter" that they'd pull some poo poo at the end to tell you "nope you're not done yet" but I wasn't expecting all that.

That aside, excellent game and now I hold on to the unrealistic desire for all the future games past the second to be localized at some point.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 10, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

oblomov posted:

Nier is cheap and absolutely worth it. Just remember that it's a bit janky and you are meant to play through it at least twice.
Nier was strange, and took a while to get into it's stride, but thankfully the soundtrack was great and NG+ starts you off at the part of the story where you can equip different weapon types. I really underestimate how great it is to skip the whole intro/prologue segment when doing NG+ in games, and it's a shame more devs don't try this approach.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Vyse and Aika are the best and you should never take them out of your Squad, even if you aren't a fan of Skies of Arcadia :colbert:.
This is great advice. Vyse also has a ton of badass dialogue when his battle potentials activate.
You're going to want to have Alicia, Largo and Rosie in every mission for the extra Command Points. A lot of the time you don't need more than one Lancer and since Largo's the only one that gives you more orders, it's a pretty obvious choice. This was something they fixed in the second game but maybe Sega has changed this in the port. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Super Jay Mann posted:

So I just plowed through LOH: Trails in the Sky on Steam over the past week or so and god damnit I should have just waited until SC came out damnit damnit damnit. :suicide:

I mean I guess I should have figured with there being a "second chapter" that they'd pull some poo poo at the end to tell you "nope you're not done yet" but I wasn't expecting all that.

That aside, excellent game and now I hold on to the unrealistic desire for all the future games past the second to be localized at some point.
I've had the game for a long time and just got around to playing through it again, I don't think I'm far off of finishing it, either. At least, not far off of 'to be continued' :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HiveCommander posted:

This is great advice. Vyse also has a ton of badass dialogue when his battle potentials activate.
You're going to want to have Alicia, Largo and Rosie in every mission for the extra Command Points. A lot of the time you don't need more than one Lancer and since Largo's the only one that gives you more orders, it's a pretty obvious choice. This was something they fixed in the second game but maybe Sega has changed this in the port. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Actually part of this is wrong. You want Jann as well as Largo as your only two Lancers, because Jann gets a damage buff off being near Largo.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually part of this is wrong. You want Jann as well as Largo as your only two Lancers, because Jann gets a damage buff off being near Largo.
I forgot about that. I never really had the need for more than one outside of one or two missions though, scouts did a lot of the lifting with occasional Shocktroops covering them.
Did they keep the option for picking your own leaders in VC3? It was something I thought was a really good idea in VC2, but even giving leader status to some of the sub-optimal characters would create an interesting trade-off (as opposed to Alicia being the undisputed best scout in the game, but also gives you more CP for orders).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

Did they keep the option for picking your own leaders in VC3? It was something I thought was a really good idea in VC2, but even giving leader status to some of the sub-optimal characters would create an interesting trade-off (as opposed to Alicia being the undisputed best scout in the game, but also gives you more CP for orders).

yeah but not for a while, and I think you only get one

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the correct characters are:

Scouts: Aika, Cherry, Hi I'm Ted
Shocktroopers: Vyse
Lancers: Jann, 70s lancer, the one attracted to tanks
Engineers: All the engineers are boring tbh, and engineers are useless
Snipers: Marina

Super Jay Mann posted:

now imagine being like me and beating the game when it first came out in early 2011

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So, VC1 port looks to be excellent in the performance department.

http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/

Durante of GeDoSaTo fame has analysis up on PA Gamer. Basically you can run very high resolution with great frame rates on relatively modest equipment.

The controls are highly customizable as well. Oh and there is GeDoSaTo profile for the game as well for downsampling.

In short, everybody should buy this port. Forgot to add that port cones with all DLCs.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 10, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

Durante of GeDoSaTo fame has analysis up on PA Gamer. Basically you can run very high resolution with great frame rates on relatively modest equipment.

The controls are highly customizable as well. Oh and there is GeDoSaTo profile for the game as well for downsampling.

In short, everybody should buy this port. Forgot to add that port cones with all DLCs.

Sounds great! I hope it's open to modding to some degree.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

T

oblomov posted:

The only downsides:
All pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes are limited to the original PS3 quality.
Controls in menus are mapped directly from the console version, without mouse support.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

yeah but not for a while, and I think you only get one

the correct characters are:

Scouts: Aika, Cherry, Hi I'm Ted
Shocktroopers: Vyse, Rosie
Lancers: Jann, 70s lancer, the one attracted to tanks
Engineers: All the engineers are boring tbh, and engineers are useless
Snipers: Marina

now imagine being like me and beating the game when it first came out in early 2011

Rosie gets you a command bonus, don't forget. Engineers are largely useless for large parts of the game, but there's maybe three or four longer missions where it's worth bringing one along.

A good average group is 1 Sniper, Two lancers (Jann and Largo, and only if there are the bigger tanks in the mission), and a mix of scouts/shocktroopers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I didn't put any of the command point people because you're intentionally crippling yourself if you don't bring them

Also it's a shame that while Rosie is pretty good because Strong-Willed is too good, you'll rarely ever use her because she starts deployed but you rarely ever move a shocktrooper from the starting position, it's far better to deploy them from a camp partway through the map

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Someone mentioned RPG maker games last page and I'm trying to remember one I played a few years back.

The game starts with you as a dark knight being locked in prison, and then getting broken out by a rebel group. The game also had a weird skill system where instead of getting skills on level you got skill points, which you could put into/out of different skill categories to unlock your skills. Anyone remember the name of it?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Tried Valkyria Chronicles on PC for the first time just now. Looks stunning as ever but I'm having some issues controlling it with my DS4 - everything works except I don't have a "confirm" button anywhere (X on DS, A on 360). Gotta use the spacebar which is just dumb. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using DS4Tool 1.2.2

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kild posted:

The only downsides:
All pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes are limited to the original PS3 quality.
Controls in menus are mapped directly from the console version, without mouse support.

I could live without mouse support in menus in The Last Remnant. I'm more concerned with how the mouse and keyboard control is in gameplay.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I could live without mouse support in menus in The Last Remnant. I'm more concerned with how the mouse and keyboard control is in gameplay.

dude said that it took a bit of adjustment, but he ultimately preferred it to gamepad.

Mingles
Oct 10, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

Someone mentioned RPG maker games last page and I'm trying to remember one I played a few years back.

The game starts with you as a dark knight being locked in prison, and then getting broken out by a rebel group. The game also had a weird skill system where instead of getting skills on level you got skill points, which you could put into/out of different skill categories to unlock your skills. Anyone remember the name of it?

This is Everlong, I think.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

Very likely Everlong, yeah.

Sometimes I like to check out RM2k/3 games just because I'm fascinated by the creativity and dedication needed to work a lot of the custom systems. I did that when I was a teen and you could spend days on days just creating a menu that would allow you to craft things, or clone FF8's junction system, or what have you.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 11, 2014

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

a medical mystery posted:

Sometimes I like to check out RM2k/3 games just because I'm fascinated by the creativity and dedication needed to work a lot of the custom systems. I did that when I was a teen and you could spend days on days just creating a menu that would allow you to craft things, or clone FF8's junction system, or what have you.

I still do this whenever I'm getting sick of mainstream stuff, get in a slump or feel burnt out. Just scroll through the current rpgmaker stuff, most of which is free. Although with the rise of indie games, I've not done this as often as I used to...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I only played VC3, not even 2. What transitions should I reign back on for VC1 before I get into it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Interception fire is a lot more forgiving in VC1 than VC3, so you can lean on Scouts a lot more. They arguably make the game too easy though. Engineers also can disable mines in addition to fixing up tanks and resupplying troops, making them a lot more versatile.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Interception fire is a lot more forgiving in VC1 than VC3, so you can lean on Scouts a lot more. They arguably make the game too easy though. Engineers also can disable mines in addition to fixing up tanks and resupplying troops, making them a lot more versatile.

You mean to tell me they actually made engineers even more useless in VC3? That's a laugh and a half.

BTW I gave up on playing VC with a DS4 and ended up opting for mouse+kb, it works surprisingly well. The near instant loading times make the game a million times less frustrating also.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

You mean to tell me they actually made engineers even more useless in VC3? That's a laugh and a half.

BTW I gave up on playing VC with a DS4 and ended up opting for mouse+kb, it works surprisingly well. The near instant loading times make the game a million times less frustrating also.

Arguably engineers are more useful in VC3 because tanks are nice in VC3 (1CP/turn)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Doflamingo posted:

They're just as as bad as you're imagining. A few missions in VC3 necessitate having an Engineer to repair objects/targets that the enemy goes after every round but that's about it. I think you can use them for buffs as well but I never used them that much. You don't even really need them for repairing tanks anymore; you're better off just giving your tank heavy armor and just have them shrug off damage in the first place.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Nate RFB posted:

They're just as as bad as you're imagining. A few missions in VC3 necessitate having an Engineer to repair objects/targets that the enemy goes after every round but that's about it. I think you can use them for buffs as well but I never used them that much. You don't even really need them for repairing tanks anymore; you're better off just giving your tank heavy armor and just have them shrug off damage in the first place.
I got some decent use out of Anthem Corps, though that required using an engineer enough to actually promote them.

e: Downloaded Everlong on the thread's recommendation, since he's apparently still working on it and released a new version this year, 10 years into development (!). It is good for an RM2k3 game. I ended up playing it all afternoon, since the story is actually okay and the dungeons each have their own little gimmick to keep things fun. The encounter rate is noticeably low, and encounters give lots and lots of exp and money so I've felt no need to grind yet.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 12, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I can't think RPG Maker without thinking of my favorite piece of vaporware, A Blurred Line. It's even more tantalizing because the updates released in 2003 and 2007 were good, or at least intriguing and different from what other games in the scene were doing. I should really try Everlong/Exit Fate/Last Scenario, at least they're finished right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Holy gently caress, why would I ever use a tank when it costs 2 CP? That's ridiculous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure if there's a problem with my weird-rear end controller setup or VC1 itself, but I can't seem to remap any controls on my gamepads. It just hangs on the screen asking for a valid input and I have to exit alt-tab out of the program and close. Seems like I'll have to use the mouse/keyboard, which does seem to work mostly OK (navigating the map in a battle isn't exactly smooth).

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

I can't think RPG Maker without thinking of my favorite piece of vaporware, A Blurred Line. It's even more tantalizing because the updates released in 2003 and 2007 were good, or at least intriguing and different from what other games in the scene were doing. I should really try Everlong/Exit Fate/Last Scenario, at least they're finished right?

everlong is trash. don't bother.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Captain Walker posted:

Last Scenario and Exit Fate are legitimately excellent games that I would recommend to anyone who likes RPGs. Everlong is just "good for an RPG Maker 2003 game," so it's an okay timewaster (at least so far) but not on the level of Exit Fate.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, why would I ever use a tank when it costs 2 CP? That's ridiculous.

... And one that has poor range and horrid maneuverability at that? Well, you can
do what I did and use it to just enjoy having combined arms... and C grades for
missions.

I keep harping on it, but men are the VC3 light tanks fun --- 1CP and good range, so
you could actually use them as a spearhead.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I remember the player tank inception fire in VC1 being pretty good, but yeah I think there's only a fringe number of cases that Edelweiss is actually useful. And most of them involve it being a slightly more powerful lancer that has slightly better range than your average lancer.

Man now I just want VC3 HD :sigh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the Shamrock owns though

flamethrower like 5 enemies at once, hell yeah

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Last Scenario and Exit Fate are legitimately excellent games that I would recommend to anyone who likes RPGs. Everlong is just "good for an RPG Maker 2003 game," so it's an okay timewaster (at least so far) but not on the level of Exit Fate.
Nothing ever changes in Everlong as far as quality. What you see in the first hour is what it's like the entire way through. It's really nothing special at all. It was my go-to RPG Maker game at work when I didn't have an emulator handy and didn't want to use my mobile phone for games. Also apparently Osama bin Laden is the secret boss or some such.

I'm not really a huge Last Scenario fan either, but I hear that game really takes off half way through. I was much more of an Exit Fate lover.

I don't think it's an RPGMaker game but I still really really liked Spirit Engine 2 as far as free games went.

http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-screens.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the Shamrock owns though

flamethrower like 5 enemies at once, hell yeah

the Edelweiss isn't that bad either though tbh

people overestimate just how fast you need to be on most maps for an A rank, having a basically unkilleable barrier that can also mortar bases can be pretty handy

and smoke rounds are amazing