Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011
I am trying Step 2.2.9 right now, with the intention of 100% process integrity. It's getting to the point where I have more fun modding Skyrim than actually playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doulos posted:

I'm sure this has been asked and discussed before, but what do most people do try and integrate Morrowloot with things like Immersive Armor and Heavy Armory. From my searching, some people are saying to just disable those items from appearing in leveled lists, but wouldn't that mean I couldn't find the items anywhere since they wouldn't be placed around like Morrowloot did to vanilla items? I'd really like the extra variety items, but I also love how Morrowloot makes exploring so much more rewarding and fun. If it came down to it I'd rather use something like Scarcity to just tone down loot rather than just use vanilla weapons. Or maybe combine the two? Keep vanilla stuff placed around with Morrowloot and use Scarcity to make powerful mod items less likely to go pouring out of bandits?

Edit: I also have no DLC if that matters.

The best way to do it is (IMHO) use Morroloot plus Lootification.

Edit: I realize that may have been a bit unhelpful. Basically: Disable the distribution of Heavy Armory and Immersive Armors into the lists. Make sure Morroloot is at the bottom of your load order with the Relev/Delev bash tags.

Once you've made your Bashed Patch, run the Lootification patcher. You should probably use my Improved Lootification XMLs since I went through and lootified IA7.1.

Lootification will distribute them through the world and generate enchanted versions, and will do so according to Morroloots rules if it's in your load order like I said.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 9, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beer Jerky posted:

I am trying Step 2.2.9 right now, with the intention of 100% process integrity. It's getting to the point where I have more fun modding Skyrim than actually playing it.

if you have any special tips / gotchas to watch out for, I'd like to know. About to go down the same road.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB

Agents are GO! posted:

The best way to do it is (IMHO) use Morroloot plus Lootification.

Edit: I realize that may have been a bit unhelpful. Basically: Disable the distribution of Heavy Armory and Immersive Armors into the lists. Make sure Morroloot is at the bottom of your load order with the Relev/Delev bash tags.

Once you've made your Bashed Patch, run the Lootification patcher. You should probably use my Improved Lootification XMLs since I went through and lootified IA7.1.

Lootification will distribute them through the world and generate enchanted versions, and will do so according to Morroloots rules if it's in your load order like I said.

That sounds fantastic! I will try this out first chance I get!

Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011

pmchem posted:

if you have any special tips / gotchas to watch out for, I'd like to know. About to go down the same road.

So far it is downloading about three billion gigabytes of texture mods. More updates to come.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doulos posted:

That sounds fantastic! I will try this out first chance I get!

I'd also like to note that Lootification works perfectly with Wintermyst (contrary to what it says on the Wintermyst description page), which you should use because it's totally baller. I think there's even a no-DLC* version.

* You should totally get the DLC.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Has anyone had a problem with certain saves CTDing when loaded from the title screen, but not from within a game already? Most of my saves are doing this. The ones made inside player housing seem to be the most reliably functional, and I've never had a save that's totally unloadable, but most of them require loading from within another game, either new or continued. Guess it's worth mentioning that I'm up to ~250 esps, but this problem happens even in zero-script diagnostic saves. I can't even remember the last time the game crashed or showed any kind of conflict/bugs during actual gameplay, but actually getting started seems to be a hurdle.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Duck and burger posted:

Has anyone had a problem with certain saves CTDing when loaded from the title screen, but not from within a game already?
I had the same problem happen in New Vegas and I recall seeing it reported for Oblivion as well. I don't think there's a real cause or fix for it (at least I never found it). It seems to happens when the spaghetti that passes for computercode in Bethesda games feels like it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 10, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The problem I've been getting is saves where it CTDs if I try to SAVE in certain places, and it's almost always Winterhold and/or the College.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UoI posted:

So I've decided, once again, to waste a week modding the hell out of Skyrim and then never playing it and uninstalling everything. However, when I go to download mods using the "Download NMM" button, I get this:

I've got MO to link my Nexus account and clicked the "Associate with 'Download with Manager' links" and this hasn't happened before, and I have no idea about anything. I can still download manually, but that is awful and :effort: Anyone know how to fix?

Update on this: I uninstalled and reinstalled MO and I was able to download the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and then after I started getting another pop-up saying: "an error occured: invalid index".

Why does MO hate me? :negative:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Cross post from the awesome/awful mods thread: Some guy hacked together a way to add physics to Skyrim on the fly with SKSE. I saw this rad looking physics enabled capes mod using it. Then I found physics enabled argonian head tentacles! Then I found Breast and butt physics, Bounce and jiggles, wearable anime tails and stopped looking.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

Has anyone had a problem with certain saves CTDing when loaded from the title screen, but not from within a game already? Most of my saves are doing this. The ones made inside player housing seem to be the most reliably functional, and I've never had a save that's totally unloadable, but most of them require loading from within another game, either new or continued. Guess it's worth mentioning that I'm up to ~250 esps, but this problem happens even in zero-script diagnostic saves. I can't even remember the last time the game crashed or showed any kind of conflict/bugs during actual gameplay, but actually getting started seems to be a hurdle.

Are you using Saftey Load? Are you running SKSE?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

getting a weird glitch, just like this guy's: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/69533098

that 'level up' message shows up and doesn't go away, after I start a new game (just getting out of wagon). no mods, just enboost. launched from steam instead of MO/SKSE to avoid mods. Any experience with that bug here? GTX 980, 1440p, max prettiness settings.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

pmchem posted:

getting a weird glitch, just like this guy's: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/69533098

that 'level up' message shows up and doesn't go away, after I start a new game (just getting out of wagon). no mods, just enboost. launched from steam instead of MO/SKSE to avoid mods. Any experience with that bug here? GTX 980, 1440p, max prettiness settings.

I had this problem. Only solution I found removed the level up message entirely - even when you open up the menu to level up, the option will be blank. But it's the only thing I've found that works. It goes: open up Skyrim\Data\Interface\Translate_ENGLISH.txt . Search for "$LEVEL UP". There should be two "LEVEL UP"s on that line. Replace the second one with a space and save. You still get the noise, and you can tell when you can level up when you open the menu because the top option will be blank rather than saying skills. Annoying, but less annoying than a permanent message on my screen, at least for me. Never found anyone who could figure out what was causing it, and it doesn't seem mod-related. One of Bethesda's bugs, I guess. Definitely let us know if you find a better solution.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's HUD related because when I changed opacity of HUD it would affect that text. Off to work, will continue following up on this later tonight... I'm a fresh install of skyrim (literally reformatted win8 this weekend) so it seems like this problem can't be too uncommon?

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
I'm trying to install an ENB, and when I open skyrim it says I haven't set bFloatPointRender correctly in SkyrimPrefs or I have more than one file. I believe I have done it correctly, and it's possible I have another file somewhere but I'm not sure and windows search function isn't even finding the one I can see. Any suggestions?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

pmchem posted:

Has anyone here followed the STEP 2.2.9 guide explicitly? How did it work out? They have a lot of "core" mods that I think I could do without.

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

I've setup STEP at least twice from scratch in separate playthroughs of Skyrim, and have never had any problems. They put a lot of thought (and debate) behind which mods to include, which I really like, and if you want to know why they included a mod, each one has a forum thread where the debate occurs. They seem to do a lot of testing as well. I also like how they concentrate on fixes to the vanilla experience (at least in core), which lines up with how I've always done Elder Scrolls modding in the past. (I wrote my own Morrowind guide years ago along similar lines - which I thought was lost to the mists of time but was saved by archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20080225055328/http://teyandei.net/projects/morrowind/)

STEP seems fairly modular to me - if you don't want to use a mod, just leave it out. I don't think there are very many mods that have dependencies. I use probably 95% of the 'core' mods and most of the optional ones. If you have any doubts, just see what the mod does, and leave it out if you don't like it.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

tophet posted:

I'm trying to install an ENB, and when I open skyrim it says I haven't set bFloatPointRender correctly in SkyrimPrefs or I have more than one file. I believe I have done it correctly, and it's possible I have another file somewhere but I'm not sure and windows search function isn't even finding the one I can see. Any suggestions?

If you are using MO, and you should be, you need to make changes to the ini files through MO. The puzzle pieces menu has an ini editor. Make the change in there. And if you use more than one profile the inis are per profile so make the changes in all of em.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've been wanting to try Skyrim recently, but rather than just jump into it, there's a certain mod I really, really want to use. What was that one mod that removed basically all of the textures from the game, giving it a strange and minimalist look?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Ultra Low Graphics mod.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 10, 2014

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc

LtSmash posted:

If you are using MO, and you should be, you need to make changes to the ini files through MO. The puzzle pieces menu has an ini editor. Make the change in there. And if you use more than one profile the inis are per profile so make the changes in all of em.

Cool thanks, that worked.

Unrelated question; I'm using Sperg and have the perk that automatically slows things down when I'm low on health, but whenever it triggers time never speeds up again and I've found myself having to reload. Anyone know what that's about?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dunno but I've had that problem on pretty much all the perks that slow time so I've quit taking any of them to avoid dealing with it. :effort:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 10, 2014

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Speaking of perk bugs, has anyone else encountered a bug where zooming in (with that archery perk) doesn't have a constant level of zoom - it jerks in and out quickly, making it impossible to aim while trying to zoom? I haven't found anyone else with this problem after googling, and it's super annoying - playing as an archer is way harder than it needs to be. It seems to happen more outdoors than indoors.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've been wanting to try Skyrim recently, but rather than just jump into it, there's a certain mod I really, really want to use. What was that one mod that removed basically all of the textures from the game, giving it a strange and minimalist look?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Ultra Low Graphics mod.

Wwwwwelp, I got my hands on it but it doesn't seem to work with SKSE. I don't suppose anyone knows a fix or workaround?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NiftyBottle posted:

I had this problem. Only solution I found removed the level up message entirely - even when you open up the menu to level up, the option will be blank. But it's the only thing I've found that works. It goes: open up Skyrim\Data\Interface\Translate_ENGLISH.txt . Search for "$LEVEL UP". There should be two "LEVEL UP"s on that line. Replace the second one with a space and save. You still get the noise, and you can tell when you can level up when you open the menu because the top option will be blank rather than saying skills. Annoying, but less annoying than a permanent message on my screen, at least for me. Never found anyone who could figure out what was causing it, and it doesn't seem mod-related. One of Bethesda's bugs, I guess. Definitely let us know if you find a better solution.

After a lot of trial and error I determined it was caused by a setting in skyrimprefs.ini, which was being managed by MO. I blew away MO's version and replaced it with a steam / geforce experience version and have been ok ever since. I suspect MO's configurator is buggy. Or, some mod made a weird entry to the .ini on install. If it happens again, I'll try and determine was the offending entry was, but ugh, ini files.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So I had a mini freakout and began disabling mods in my bigass stack when I continuously crashed around the Falkreath Home area. I ended up unsubbing and deleting "RNG (Dynamic) Guards" when I tried loading it up again and seeing all the town guards were naked. I tried resubbing the mod after deleting it but it looks like they are all still naked. Anyone know of a fix to this? Looks like google returns nothing useful.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Perkus Maximus just came out. Looks interesting so far and I'm really liking the idea of the new weapon system, though we'll see how it works in execution.

Definitely looks like Skyre 2.0, though.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Perkus Maximus just came out. Looks interesting so far and I'm really liking the idea of the new weapon system, though we'll see how it works in execution.

Definitely looks like Skyre 2.0, though.

Neat, and it's finally on the nexus so I don't need to go to Facebook to read about it.

I'm really happy with my current STEP + SPERG playthrough but will likely give PerMa a shot the next time I roll a new character.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PerMa looks pretty cool. I got frustrated with bugs in my last modded playthrough of Skyrim (merchants weren't giving me money when I sold stuff though their money went down, and similarly a lot of modded crafting reactions were taking the ingredients without giving me the objects they were supposed to create), so this may give me a good reason to start over again with a cleaner mod slate.

Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011
So I got through STEP:2.2.9 and have a couple notes. I wasn't aware that it was almost entirely a compilation of ascetic mods. There are very few gameplay-changing mods in the list. I also ended up skipping quite a few of the core mods. I am not an experienced modder (this was my first real experience with MO, been using NMM up till now) but the directions were clear and concise. Everything works perfectly, as described. The game looks a lot better, and a couple mods are working now that used to crash my desktop.

1.7 THUMBS UP, A-

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
As annoying as the obtuse (and poorly written) in-game descriptions are for the perks, Perkus Maximus adds in some pretty badass functionality and synergies. The Focus/Master/Prodigy system is a really cool way to make your character feel distinctive: Foci and Masters give you unique boosts and abilities that look like they'll gel the various skills from the perk tree together, while Prodigies allow you to snag two specific high-level perks right from the start. Best part? You only get one of each, and they persist through respecs.

Just, uh, be sure to download the documentation file that comes separately. Having access to what the perks actually do helps a ton.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
Thanks to the help in the thread, I'm pretty sure I've got everything working nicely together. Game's pretty, SPERG's cool, new gear is nice. Only last thing I'm considering is some enemy difficulty stuff perhaps. I've heard SPERG makes you a little strong, and I have Deadly Combat as well. On my first vanilla play through I got stupid strong really quick. With Morrowloot I know good gear won't be prevalent, but I'm still kinda worried. Having cool new combat options is kinda wasted if everyone still dies to mashing left click. What would people recommend that would play nicely with SPERG, Deadly Combat, and Morrowloot? I'm considering ASIS or some kind of deleveller, I saw someone describe the ERSO enemy leveling module as New Vegas-y which sounds perfect.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doulos posted:

Thanks to the help in the thread, I'm pretty sure I've got everything working nicely together. Game's pretty, SPERG's cool, new gear is nice. Only last thing I'm considering is some enemy difficulty stuff perhaps. I've heard SPERG makes you a little strong, and I have Deadly Combat as well. On my first vanilla play through I got stupid strong really quick. With Morrowloot I know good gear won't be prevalent, but I'm still kinda worried. Having cool new combat options is kinda wasted if everyone still dies to mashing left click. What would people recommend that would play nicely with SPERG, Deadly Combat, and Morrowloot? I'm considering ASIS or some kind of deleveller, I saw someone describe the ERSO enemy leveling module as New Vegas-y which sounds perfect.
ERSO is good and Revenge of the Enemies makes enemies, well, a lot smarter. OBIS makes bandits more interesting and challenging too.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beer Jerky posted:

So I got through STEP:2.2.9 and have a couple notes. I wasn't aware that it was almost entirely a compilation of ascetic mods. There are very few gameplay-changing mods in the list. I also ended up skipping quite a few of the core mods. I am not an experienced modder (this was my first real experience with MO, been using NMM up till now) but the directions were clear and concise. Everything works perfectly, as described. The game looks a lot better, and a couple mods are working now that used to crash my desktop.

1.7 THUMBS UP, A-

Nice, I'm hoping to finish that today. I'm about 3/4 the way through installing STEP: Core. Need to decide what gameplay stuff to put on top of it... maybe take the dive and do PerMa?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are there any mods floating around that make food and cooking worthwhile? I'm not talking about hunger mechanics, but rather something that makes eating cooked food a viable alternative to restoration spells or healing potions, maybe with buffs in there.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Doulos posted:

Yeah ERSO's encounter zone module changes up some regions to spawn a higher minimum level of enemy so you might try that, but I wouldn't run Deadly Combat with it unless you like getting one-shotted out of nowhere all the time. I'd switch to Ultimate Combat or something, but you'd probably need to start a new playthrough to do that or face the possibility of save corruption.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

ERSO is good and Revenge of the Enemies makes enemies, well, a lot smarter. OBIS makes bandits more interesting and challenging too.

OBIS has gotten rather feature creepy from what I've heard. And a few people have complained that ASIS was making godlike bandits when it was actually the unmodified high level OBIS bandits.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So would PerMa require the uncapper or is it used in standard leveling? I use SPERG and some mods that alter the Alchemy and Enchantment trees, so would I just want to uninstall all of those as well as the uncapper and start a new game if I wanted to use PerMa?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

sticklefifer posted:

So would PerMa require the uncapper or is it used in standard leveling? I use SPERG and some mods that alter the Alchemy and Enchantment trees, so would I just want to uninstall all of those as well as the uncapper and start a new game if I wanted to use PerMa?

It doesn't require the uncapper, though it might benefit from Relinquishment or another mod that lets you get an extra perk every once in awhile. There are less perk sinks but the trees are larger.

Also, a warning to those jumping into PerMa: get ready for a long patch and make sure to run it through SUM or via another method to increase its access to your RAM. Once I ran it through SUM it worked perfectly: no conflicts, no null point bullshit, no nothing. Pretty surprising since I chucked everything I had at it.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Also, a warning to those jumping into PerMa: get ready for a long patch and make sure to run it through SUM or via another method to increase its access to your RAM. Once I ran it through SUM it worked perfectly: no conflicts, no null point bullshit, no nothing. Pretty surprising since I chucked everything I had at it.

Can you explain this procedure you're talking about? Never heard of SUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

LtSmash posted:

OBIS has gotten rather feature creepy from what I've heard. And a few people have complained that ASIS was making godlike bandits when it was actually the unmodified high level OBIS bandits.

Yeah, OBIS bandits can be ridiculously overpowered. The author doesn't try to hide it or anything, but getting one-shotted by random bandit when you're busy kicking his buddies' asses gets really old after a while.

• Locked thread