Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Jewish ethiopian duke

please do not disclose my true identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks, all. Seeing the Hansa mentioned made me want to try the Hansa start in EU4 instead. Wonder how hard it is.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yolomancer posted:

Would people mind posting a few interesting starts for CK2 that I should check out? So far I've done the typical Ireland stuff, then reformed Roman Empire starting as Byz Count and I've done some viking stuff. Haven't touched republics or anything like thta.

It was ages ago but I really enjoyed the 1066 Duchy of Syria start. you've got no king-level vassal above you, just the Caliph himself, and crusades coming in a couple years to shake things loose. I helped the caliph fight off the franks in my game, formed the kingdom of syria and went independent, but you could also try to marry your way to caliph or whatever

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

Thanks, all. Seeing the Hansa mentioned made me want to try the Hansa start in EU4 instead. Wonder how hard it is.

Merchant republics are really strong now if you have the res publica dlc (faction system = being able to switch between +10% morale bonus and +10 global trade power at will) I did that Venetian Sea achievement (90% trade in constantinople, and Alexandria with less than 10 cities) and I was beating the poo poo out of pretty much everyone including the Ottomans and Austria. Hansa is probably even easier since the emperor will protect you and Denmark is a big paper tiger.

Stegosaurus
Sep 30, 2005

yeah it was like, we came in one day and there was a five-seven just chillin on airbus two. we were like, 'the hell?'

Wormskull posted:

Boyar Naldera's head perks up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is it worth it to annex Flanders now, or should I wait 100 years so I don't get Dutch revolt? I already have a spare relation slot and trade ducats coming out of my ears so I'm not really hurting for it, but my autism is demanding I annex it no.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Just annex it. The revolt is easy to put down, and that sweet slot can be working for you in the meantime.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Just annex it. The revolt is easy to put down, and that sweet slot can be working for you in the meantime.

I don't need it at all, since I have everything I want in Europe and I'd rather not have to worry about a revolt while I'm zoomed in up close to my colonies.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I should have restarted when I realised every single Great power except Burgundy was friendly toward me. Portugal and Spain don't even care that I have colonies next to theirs.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm currently playing as Malaya (Sunny, Chinese tech group) and I have two colonial nations, Malayan La Plata and Australia. I'm westernizing and when I finish will my colonial nations also:

a)be westernized
b)not be westernized but have a choice to start westernizing
c)gently caress YOU!

Also, why wasn't I spammed for appointment of colonial governors? Is that something only for European Christians or was it removed in 1.8?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is it worth it to annex Flanders now, or should I wait 100 years so I don't get Dutch revolt? I already have a spare relation slot and trade ducats coming out of my ears so I'm not really hurting for it, but my autism is demanding I annex it no.

Dunno about the full revolt but the generic event if the dutch exist is easy because you surrender and lose 10 prestige and then get 12,000 infantry for free

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Grats on post #1492.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm currently playing as Malaya (Sunny, Chinese tech group) and I have two colonial nations, Malayan La Plata and Australia. I'm westernizing and when I finish will my colonial nations also:

a)be westernized
b)not be westernized but have a choice to start westernizing
c)gently caress YOU!

Also, why wasn't I spammed for appointment of colonial governors? Is that something only for European Christians or was it removed in 1.8?

They got rid of colonial governor spam thank god. Also I dunno. I haven't done a non-western colonial game since I did Malaya pre-conquest. Use my cool malaya flag on steam except you have to edit the mod file to be valid with the current patch.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181339452

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I should have restarted when I realised every single Great power except Burgundy was friendly toward me. Portugal and Spain don't even care that I have colonies next to theirs.

Spain will eventually. Portugal probably won't. In any case if you aren't allies then your colonies will probably fight each other and drag you in from time to time. My West Indies went nuts on Portugal's and eventually ended up eating part of French Mexico

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Whoa! This flag is much better than the current one.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Spain will eventually. Portugal probably won't. In any case if you aren't allies then your colonies will probably fight each other and drag you in from time to time. My West Indies went nuts on Portugal's and eventually ended up eating part of French Mexico

Wait...they can do wars by themselves?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anyway, I'm doing Novgorod aGIAN, because I like that start a lot and my last AoW attempt got pwned hard. I think this time ignore Sweden because they always turn on you. I got a 5 shock general immediately and wiped the floor with Muscovy on my own lmfao. Aristocrat faction ftw.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wonder what ideas to take first.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wait...they can do wars by themselves?

Colonial nations can war other colonial nations + primitives. they'll drag you into the war if it's going bad (sometimes). or if you notice the war you can try to enforce peace which will bring both you and the other colony's overlord in. They can't war with the colonial nations of your allies / PUs / etc. Or they aren't supposed to barring bugs.

I literally had West Indies fight Caraíbas back and forth (with me intervening a couple of times) for almost 100 years before West Indies finally annexed all of Caraíbas (thanks to me softening them up in a few wars I intervened in). They actually lost a significant amount of previously conquered territory in one of the wars. They then went on to colonize Guyana and annex French Mexico.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Colonial nations can war other colonial nations + primitives. they'll drag you into the war if it's going bad (sometimes). or if you notice the war you can try to enforce peace which will bring both you and the other colony's overlord in. They can't war with the colonial nations of your allies / PUs / etc. Or they aren't supposed to barring bugs.

I literally had West Indies fight Caraíbas back and forth (with me intervening a couple of times) for almost 100 years before West Indies finally annexed all of Caraíbas (thanks to me softening them up in a few wars I intervened in). They actually lost a significant amount of previously conquered territory in one of the wars. They then went on to colonize Guyana and annex French Mexico.

That's cool. I always get bored once I start colonising.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Another thing that makes me stop playing is choosing ideas. They're all fairly good now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually hate the poo poo out of colonial nation wars because any time I'm allied with a colonizer/have my own big colony they always, end up being an insane world war where Spain and France beat the poo poo out of England and Portugal and then it happens again 10 years later.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I actually hate the poo poo out of colonial nation wars because any time I'm allied with a colonizer/have my own big colony they always, end up being an insane world war where Spain and France beat the poo poo out of England and Portugal and then it happens again 10 years later.

if this is happening in the late 17th/early 18th centuries it's a damned accurate representation of the period, except the Brits tended to win.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Colonial nation wars could become really awesome if the battles were only allowed on their soil, even if their overlords get on the action. Then the Brits with their huge navy could win more often like they historically did because they can ferry troops faster to the New World.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Disco Infiva posted:

Colonial nation wars could become really awesome if the battles were only allowed on their soil, even if their overlords get on the action. Then the Brits with their huge navy could win more often like they historically did because they can ferry troops faster to the New World.

This is basically why I don't like them. It's just a european war and then the winner's colonial nations just carpetsiege, or as with the new patch, just ask for war reparations and some ducats because the AI seems to be terrified of war exhaustion now, even when they didn't achieve the war goal despite a high war score.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I like maps but I keep bouncing off eu4. wish me luck thread, I'm doing it for real this time

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Disable AI culture flipping again. gently caress french and austrian stink pig

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm gonna play an Italian game. Catholicmyballs or PTOtestant?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

I'm gonna play an Italian game. Catholicmyballs or PTOtestant?

it's a huge bitch to go protestant in italy because of the high tax base & dearth of 'natural' religious flips. it's doable, just a pain

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Is there like a Historical Punk genre kind of like there's Martial Industrial or whatever.

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

it's a huge bitch to go protestant in italy because of the high tax base & dearth of 'natural' religious flips. it's doable, just a pain

You get a +10% bonus to missionaries if you flip now. Took me 7 months to convert London.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It lasts for 10 years or something. I converted all of England, Scotland and Ireland within that time and none of my provinces were flipped by a centre of reformation.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm not their vassal, nor am I under a union with them, but they just broke our 50 year alliance because they got free claims on all my provinces (-200 relations)! :bravo:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

These maps are making me thirsty!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It lasts for 10 years or something. I converted all of England, Scotland and Ireland within that time and none of my provinces were flipped by a centre of reformation.

!!!

man, I really want to play a europe game now. maybe I'll try denmark and go for the iron law achievement. never played a denmark game.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Is it possible to Pu/vassal every country in Europe at the same time?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

Is it possible to Pu/vassal every country in Europe at the same time?

Revoke the privilegia.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Revoke the privilegia.

Yea I was thinking of it as a goal for an austria game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Average Bear posted:

I'm not their vassal, nor am I under a union with them, but they just broke our 50 year alliance because they got free claims on all my provinces (-200 relations)! :bravo:

This is why I don't like Savoy