Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TFW you rival France and England for that epic power projection fron English Channel privateers. Even better if Burgundian Succession fired for Austria and they are your third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

TFW you rival France and England for that epic power projection fron English Channel privateers. Even better if Burgundian Succession fired for Austria and they are your third.

Maybe I'll do a Hansa game....

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I think I'm done with Mughals. Smashing all of Asia sounds tedious and moving towards Europe through Turkey will just end up making me look like Cyrus the Great with even shittier borders.

Stegosaurus
Sep 30, 2005

yeah it was like, we came in one day and there was a five-seven just chillin on airbus two. we were like, 'the hell?'
100% Hitler | 8 Parthenons remaining | 40k mans

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want HoI to be full of many possible 3rd Reichs. I mean, we have like 6 Third Romes in EU4. It only makes sense. Also they better be a way for some greek country to declare themselves Byzantium, no matter how ridiculous.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

50+ posts in the paradox thread complaining about loss of counters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

The Games thread is full of retarded whiner-babies. :qq: someone has to spend five seconds on a counter mod

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Hold out for reformed and get religious ideas. Congrats now you are bad rear end as hell and will never run out of fervor.

how does religious ideas affect fervour?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dunno if I need religious ideas.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

how does religious ideas affect fervour?

one of them adds bonus fervor. i think there's events that add more as well

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

The CB is good of course. The rest of religious ideas I can take or leave. Humanism is much better unless you don't plan on expanding much outside of your culture and one high tax level culture (Dutch is a good one).

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

I like counters but oh well.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

one of them adds bonus fervor. i think there's events that add more as well

Unless they changed fervour, i don't think .25 is really worth it. In Venice game I could keep 1 foci up pretty much permanently anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As Friesland, I took Utrecht and Gelre pretty quick. Burgandy didn't rival me at start, somehow, for once, so Hansa and Burgandy did the heavy lifting for me. Then France attacked Burgandy, so I dropped alliance and sniped Zeeland, Holland, Breda, and Antwerpen from them. -100 AE malus with most of Europe and now Denmark, Austria, France, England, and The Hansa have me coalition'd and Outraged. :shepicide:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

As Friesland, I took Utrecht and Gelre pretty quick. Burgandy didn't rival me at start, somehow, for once, so Hansa and Burgandy did the heavy lifting for me. Then France attacked Burgandy, so I dropped alliance and sniped Zeeland, Holland, Breda, and Antwerpen from them. -100 AE malus with most of Europe and now Denmark, Austria, France, England, and The Hansa have me coalition'd and Outraged. :shepicide:

You should have read my cautionary tale about taking too much rich ductch stuff from Burgundy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah probably. I'm just going to reload till they don't attack me long enough to core them and build my army because my original Netherlands game was so gay doing it slow and safe.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah probably. I'm just going to reload

:stonklol:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've been so patient with Burgundy as England. I am probably lucky becuase their king didn;t die. Dealing with Austria would be even worse. Itook so long to declare war with them because they're allied with my ally castile, that my core on Picardie expired. Oh well, I broke their alliance in the peace and I took only 2 provinces on the coast.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sometimes you just want to beat up Europe but you don't want to play France. edit: i reloaded and didn't take Antwerpen and now only really weak German OPM's coalition'd me. I can probably take the rest in my next war or maybe just wait till admin tech 10 and get free claims.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 10, 2014

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
>tfw the interesting world you helped create is gone forever at 1821

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Average Bear posted:

>tfw the interesting world you helped create is gone forever at 1821

This but 1935.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Unless they changed fervour, i don't think .25 is really worth it. In Venice game I could keep 1 foci up pretty much permanently anyway.

I've never actually done it but a bunch of Paradox people were swearing by it lol.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

frankly, austria should kiss you on the lips for freeing dutch lands from non-hre states

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've been so patient with Burgundy as England. I am probably lucky becuase their king didn;t die. Dealing with Austria would be even worse. Itook so long to declare war with them because they're allied with my ally castile, that my core on Picardie expired. Oh well, I broke their alliance in the peace and I took only 2 provinces on the coast.

I honestly would rather fight Austria than Burgundy most of the time because of all those mercs they poo poo out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

I honestly would rather fight Austria than Burgundy most of the time because of all those mercs they poo poo out.

Burgundy can never seem to get alliances, which Austria has a million of. Castile is fine as an ally for them because they can't get through France, and I need an excuse to regularly beat the poo poo out of their boats.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What is good mil idea for England?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Boyar Naldera's head perks up.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

Boyar Naldera's head perks up.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

StashAugustine posted:

ArchangeI posted:

I feel like the counter/sprite distinction in HoI is such a core part of the series that it doesn't really need to be changed, it was good as it was.

ArchangeI posted:

Perhaps the distinction less than the ability to play with counters at every level, but yeah. Counters have been in the HoI series longer than pretty much every other part of the game you see. It just seems silly to now suddenly decide that they were actually bad all this time. It'd be like EA going "You know, vehicles in Battlefield are actually not that fun, so we're going to only make them available as killstreak bonuses from now on."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Epinephrine posted:

I think we'll survive with icon counters IF sufficient variety in icon counters to account for the varying types of divisions. Are those tanks light, medium, or heavy? Are those infantry motorized? NATO counters tell us at a glance. Icons could if done right (after all, NATO counters are icons) but so far all we have seen are infantry and armor icons.

Would also be nice to have the ability to manually give divisions said icons. It could also be used for hilarious counterintelligence purposes in multiplayer: all my infantry are now called tank divisions, and all my planes are now boats.

gently caress yes, the exacting distinction between different kinds of tank, very important to the world war 2 mapgaming experience

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you took the time to learn how to understand the counters and it became easy for you I can understand why you'd be annoyed.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

If you took the time to learn how to understand the counters and it became easy for you I can understand why you'd be annoyed.

I like how clean they look and I understand them pretty well. That said... I don't know how useful they are in HoI and I never really played HoI games enough to know. Most people probably don't use them so if Paradox is too lazy to put in nice looking counters or w/e then I can't really blame them. Plus if you use counters then what the only micro-dlc you can be sold will be speed metal versions of Wagner.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

I like how clean they look and I understand them pretty well. That said... I don't know how useful they are in HoI and I never really played HoI games enough to know. Most people probably don't use them so if Paradox is too lazy to put in nice looking counters or w/e then I can't really blame them. Plus if you use counters then what the only micro-dlc you can be sold will be speed metal versions of Wagner.

True. I'd buy punk rock versions of the soundtracks.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is there like a Historical Punk genre kind of like there's Martial Industrial or whatever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wormskull posted:

i've been playing hex and counter wargames for half my life and i really don't care. ill prob use nato iconography for the little army sizes but i don't care about counters vs sprites

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would people mind posting a few interesting starts for CK2 that I should check out? So far I've done the typical Ireland stuff, then reformed Roman Empire starting as Byz Count and I've done some viking stuff. Haven't touched republics or anything like thta.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The small Ukrainian stuff is probably cool, or kicking the muzz out of Iberia as a basque perhaps.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

Would people mind posting a few interesting starts for CK2 that I should check out? So far I've done the typical Ireland stuff, then reformed Roman Empire starting as Byz Count and I've done some viking stuff. Haven't touched republics or anything like thta.

I liked forming England as Alfred the Great in the 867 start, 1066 Abbasid Caliph start (duke under a king), Erik the Heathen 1066 norse reformation, 867 Zoroastrian start...really depends what you wanna do. As for republics, they're all pretty much the same except the 1066 gotland start and the hansa starts are under a liege.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
the almost civ look of the hoi4 map is terrific and the men suit the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm hesitant to recommend too much stuff because a lot has changed due to the new tribal stuff. Like the 1066 Rurikid starts are hard because of the tribal stuff. I like the 1066 Jewish ethiopian duke start, for something I've done recently.