Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turpitude posted:

when I press space bar, blank card duplicates all of the hundreds of keys and batteries on the floor. since you can't pick up a battery when already full on energy, isaac gets flung around like a pinball between all the batteries as they jostle for position
there may have been a slight oversight in making an item that duplicates consumables when there's a consumable that recharges items fully :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
Instagibbed Mom with the bible and survived boss rush immediately after thanks to a smart fly only to die from explosive diarrhea a floor later.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

IronicDongz posted:

there may have been a slight oversight in making an item that duplicates consumables when there's a consumable that recharges items fully :shepface:

WORKING AS INTENDED

video of the battery attack in action:
http://raptr.com//grindylow/news/5462673fd55262a1d6/battery-attack-

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Does killing the heart with Eden give you another Eden token?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure 'Hematemesis ' is also neutral or considered good because I've got them with the PHD. They have situations where they are useful though. Apparently using one in one of the top secret rooms with the sin or faith hearts will cause it to spawn those instead of red hearts.

Yeah, this was true in the original (for faith hearts only obviously) but only for random drops, so something like lovers card wouldn't work. It looks like it effects all heart drops in rebirth though.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Is there a guide or post somewhere that gives an idea of progression in this game? Do I just keep killing the heart and eventually stumble upon the content myself?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Does killing the heart with Eden give you another Eden token?

I'm fairly certain it does.

Malt posted:

Is there a guide or post somewhere that gives an idea of progression in this game? Do I just keep killing the heart and eventually stumble upon the content myself?

Kill Mom's Heart 9 times to unlock items. 10th time to unlock It Lives! and permanent sheol/cathedral access. Then beat every boss/boss rush with every character to unlock more stuff. That should get you started. Spoiler'd in case you want to figure it out for yourself.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Malt posted:

Just keep clearing through it. Every character has unlocks so if you work your way through the full thing with each one you'll score the majority.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Malt posted:

Yes. Kill the heart ten times and things will start opening up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Malt posted:

Unlock all characters, beat all Challenges, beat Mom's heart, Isaac, ???, Satan, The Lamb, and Boss rush with all characters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Malt posted:

Killing the Heart 10 times unlocks "It Lives" which replaces the heart, beating that will make it so any time you beat Womb 2, you'll always have the option to go to Sheol or the Cathedral. You need 5 cathedral clears to unlock the polaroid, or 5 sheol clears to unlock the negative. Unlocking those makes them drop from mom in depths 2 (unlocking both makes both drop, but you only can pick one) - if you clear cathedral with the polaroid, you get to go to the chest, if you clear sheol with the negative, you can go to the dark room.

Every character has an unlock for clearing the cathedral, chest, sheol and dark room, so consider that a major goal/progression.

There's also mega satan, which is an option after you've cleared chest/dark room once, but I dont know if killing him unlocks anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mega Satan seems completely optional as far as I can tell. Aside from unlocking his door there's no achievements/secrets related to him.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
I just noticed and I'm not sure in this but I think Azazel is a reference to Venger the villain from the D&D cartoon. Both have wings and are missing their left horn. Considering all the other references it makes sense, just haven't seen anybody else make the connection yet.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Do I need to unlock the Missing Poster first before going for all the deaths? I've beaten the Chest with almost everyone but gently caress if I can string together a good run to the dark room and am starting to get fed up with it for now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Do I need to unlock the Missing Poster first before going for all the deaths? I've beaten the Chest with almost everyone but gently caress if I can string together a good run to the dark room and am starting to get fed up with it for now.

Nope. I don't even have The Dark Room unlocked and I have The Lost.

E: VVV Nothing wrong with doing challenges because they all unlock items that might make a run easier. Progression in this game is unlocking poo poo so you can unlock more poo poo.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I'll stop working on the challenges and kill the heart a few more times.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I just noticed and I'm not sure in this but I think Azazel is a reference to Venger the villain from the D&D cartoon. Both have wings and are missing their left horn. Considering all the other references it makes sense, just haven't seen anybody else make the connection yet.

It's a fairly common biblical term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azazel

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
So that Blank Card + Jera + Battery combo is extremely powerful. The game kept throwing batteries at me and once I had 2 batteries on screen I could make an infinite number, then move from room to room making an infinite number of other drops, including luck up pills. I am a dumbass though so I hit Q instead of space bar and ate my Jera rune. Hilariously enough, two levels later the game handed me ANOTHER Jera rune, obviously wanting me to exploit the combo more. Unfortunately even with maximum luck stat, keys, and gold I am still dumb enough to pick up the orbital tears powerup and then die to a red stompy Mom.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So I went to record my first attempt at Mega Satan and apparently recorded a blank screen intead. :v:

Chaos card only kills his first form so I have no idea what it does but the second form seemed like an easy bullet hell, what with my constant slow effect, three orbitals, ball and chain, and hair ball.

I look forward to fighting him with less broken characters because it seems like a fun as hell fight.

E: Fun fact: The Boss Rush room will disappear if you leave mom's room and don't come back before the 20 minute mark. I went into the Devil room and when I left it it was at 20:13 and the entrance was gone. :( One of these days I'll get it with ???

Jibo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 11, 2014

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Turpitude posted:

WORKING AS INTENDED

video of the battery attack in action:
http://raptr.com//grindylow/news/5462673fd55262a1d6/battery-attack-

Dad attends 90's era hardcore show with his kids.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Wait a goddamn minute. Does the Blank Card work on the Chaos Card? :D

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Wait a goddamn minute. Does the Blank Card work on the Chaos Card? :D

Blank card works with ANY Q item as far as I can tell. Pills, runes, cards...

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Apologies if this was asked in the 45 unread (for me) pages before this one.

Has anyone else's PS4 copy of Rebirth been broken by the 1.01 update? It sits on the first loading screen and nothing I do will take it off of there. I've tried all the common fixes (redownload, redo the PS4 library, etc.). Vita version works fine on 1.01, though.

Edit to add: I am NOT using the save sync feature as I am aware it's busted.

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 11, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Picking up a Chaos Card on the first floor, carrying it through ten floors and then one-shotting the final boss with it is probably the most satisfying feeling in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just lost a Maggie run at Satan because I literally found zero speed ups the entire time and couldn't outrun all the bomb leeches in his third form :negative:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fighting a boss at one heart: "No biggie, this will be challenging but doable."

Entering a room with spiders at one heart: "AAAAH! SPIDERS!" :gonk:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

And today was the day I found out the Sharp Plug only works on a completely uncharged item. In particular, as Eve with the 9-Volt Battery and a billion soul hearts, you can't use it as a source of red heart damage. The more you know! :v:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
So

Pretty good run. Judas, Coal, Tiny Planet, Quad Shot, Spider Bite.

Get to the boss rush room. Think about what I'm gonna pick, and it's like oh man, sad onion, gonna spam some shots man.

But then it's like, no, dude, wait...piercing shots are right there.

So suddenly Judas is the motor for an ever snarling washing machine of carnage. The shots just keep going, getting bigger and more damaging and not stopping for pretty much anything.

I felt clever.

I guess what I am trying to express is, although the luck of the draw is cool, it's also cool to hit on a little "A-ha!" moment and put together an off-beat yet murderous combo.

They should totally put in a character whose "thing" is that they can choose their items. Not, like, from the entire pool, that'd be insane, but maybe a choice of 3 each item room?

Yeah.

EDIT: Also, Meat Boy is retarded now. Motherfucker just runs hither and yon like a dild.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 11, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Blank Card is very obviously designed to make people who love broken combos salivate. They do similar stuff in MtG, which McMillen is a fan of.

As far as I can tell blank card + (held) Jera + (floor) battery + (floor) red chest = get every devil item. It's not even that difficult to do if you have 24 Hour Energy in your game (incidentally can Blank Card copy 24 Hour Energy for infinite batteries all on its own?).

Kaethela posted:

The * Boy achievements only count the second floor of each chapter instead of both floors like the original did. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but there it is.
That might explain why Dead Boy is bugged too, since there's no second floor on the endgame levels.

e:

Disgusting Coward posted:

They should totally put in a character whose "thing" is that they can choose their items. Not, like, from the entire pool, that'd be insane, but maybe a choice of 3 each item room?
That's pretty close to D6 Isaac except you'd get to see both options, that would probably be too good. Having a version of There's Options that works on all items would be interesting though (very good if you get it early, but falls off in power a lot later).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 11, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

EDIT: Also, Meat Boy is retarded now. Motherfucker just runs hither and yon like a dild.

So he remains unchanged from the original game, you mean?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Trophies on ps4 are pretty hosed, I've got it lives unlocked but only one of the kill mom achievments

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure 'Hematemesis ' is also neutral or considered good because I've got them with the PHD. They have situations where they are useful though. Apparently using one in one of the top secret rooms with the sin or faith hearts will cause it to spawn those instead of red hearts.

R U A Wizard really shouldn't be a make the positive pill sound.

Similarly, if you find the top secret room with a bunch of normal hearts any effect that spawns soul hearts or black hearts will spawn normal hearts instead :toot: So if you want to use it as a Dark Bum feeding frenzy be sure to leave the room before he starts popping out hearts.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hive Mind + Decayed Baby + IPECAC got me an easy heart kill as ???. Every now and then the little squirt would barf out a giant blue fly that hit for about a third to half of a boss' health bar. Lil' Haunt fearing everything was just gravy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Also I take a little bit back of what I said obout eden, this last run he spawned with the gamekid and that carried me all the way to my first dark room clear

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
A little interaction with the Goat's Head that seemed worth noting, haven't noticed it posted here before: if you beat the boss on a floor and don't get a Devil Room, then go back and continue exploring the floor and stumble across a Goat's Head (in a dark chest, for example) then go back to the boss room the Devil Room will be available. So, you don't need to be holding it when you beat the boss to get the guaranteed access: it just causes the Devil Room (or Angel, if that's your thing) to show up no matter what.

Has anyone ever picked up a Goat's Head on Basement 1? Does it give you access to a Devil Room there, too?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

goferchan posted:

Has anyone ever picked up a Goat's Head on Basement 1? Does it give you access to a Devil Room there, too?

It doesn't.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The only way to see the Devil on floor one is to get a Joker card.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey is Loki's Horns broken or something? I need to unlock them for the Glass Canon challenge and I have fought Loki MULTIPLE times and Lokii a couple but they have not unlocked nor can do the challenge. I really hope I can get them without resetting.... :ohdear:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Eden is pretty well-designed and fills the role he was meant to - a character who sacrifices stats for some extra items. Sometimes he'll just be bad, but it's usually pretty interesting to try and adapt to your set of items.

Does anyone else think Azazel would make more sense as a (fairly easy) challenge than a character?
- He's easily powerful enough to make it to at least Mom's Heart without treasure rooms
- There's no real way to change what his attack does, which homogenizes his playthroughs a lot (so it would make more sense if you only had to do one run)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I finally beat it by getting the Piggybank and the Coin Operated Earthshaker which just let me clear rooms with ease. I did end up with orbiting tears which were a pain until they got powerful enough that anything in the room died in seconds, mom was a piece of cake.

It says the Horseman are out now. :ohdear: