Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those are some great shots, SMERSH Mouth. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it.

EDIT: Loons for the bird thread.
Day 2 Loons 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 2 Loons 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
SMERSH Mouth, I got yer 400mm right here. Price dropped to $950.

(full disclaimer, I like the Tamron Moon Potato mentioned).

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went out on Sunday to see if the Redpolls had arrived yet (nope) but there are tons of Grosbeaks. Saw about 20-30 females and 2 males on Sunday.

Female Pine Grosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Female Pine Grosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I got a $250 Amazon gift card through work, and have been working a bunch of OT this month, so I'm ordering the Tamron 150-600 this week

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
You won't be disappointed. I think I've already posted this, but drat, I really wish I had more time to get out and use it again:

img_0005 by barfish, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

neckbeard posted:

I got a $250 Amazon gift card through work, and have been working a bunch of OT this month, so I'm ordering the Tamron 150-600 this week

It's backordered on amazon but I'm all paid up on it. Just needs to come!

I played with a demo unit Saturday, and it's not exactly bulletproof, but for $1200, you can't expect it to be.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm still waiting for Sigma to announce pricing (and release date) on the 150-600mm Contemporary.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Kenshin posted:

I'm still waiting for Sigma to announce pricing (and release date) on the 150-600mm Contemporary.

I thought they had announced (or leaked) an RRP of $2000? Or was that the sport model? I'm simulataneously dreading and looking forward to the comparison reveiws and inevitiable pricing war :homebrew:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

I thought they had announced (or leaked) an RRP of $2000? Or was that the sport model? I'm simulataneously dreading and looking forward to the comparison reveiws and inevitiable pricing war :homebrew:

The Sport model is $2000 and is already shipping, very early reviews are showing up and it is good. http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/09/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-lens-review.aspx/

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Kenshin posted:

The Sport model is $2000 and is already shipping, very early reviews are showing up and it is good. http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/09/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-lens-review.aspx/

Ah, ok. I can deal with not waiting for the sport as $2000 and several pounds of extra weight put it out of my budget/usability bracket. If the contemporary kicks the tamron's rear end and comes in at the same or cheaper I'll be a bit sadder though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Pukestain Pal posted:

It's backordered on amazon but I'm all paid up on it. Just needs to come!

I played with a demo unit Saturday, and it's not exactly bulletproof, but for $1200, you can't expect it to be.

not backordered on amazon.ca :smug:

StarkingBarfish posted:

Vistek has then for pre-order for $2300 Cdn, so should be right around $2K in the US

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I have a feeling the wait on the Sports model is going to be just as long as the Tamron waits were early on. I have mine preordered at a few different places but from what i'm seeing stock isn't expected anytime soon.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
There's also the new Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS II that should be out in the next month or so. $2200 isn't bad for 1st party telephoto, it takes TCs and it focuses down to 3ft.

SMERSH Mouth - The 7D is a great entry level bird shooter, especially since used prices have been falling off a cliff lately, but you might look at the 70D. Its better in just about every way (esp the sensor) and not much more $$$

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks all for the gear advice. Going with the 600mm Tamron seems like the most straightforward step given my current rig out, but I'm not easily swayed away from the allure of the Gray Glass. That's kind of an aspirational purchase goal of mine, and combined with the reportedly mediocre performance of the 5D's autofocus system (not to mention the incompatibility with EF-S) ... well, I'll have to think about it.

In the mean time, there's another 'polar vortex' in the mix, so it's time to be on the look out for what falls out of the sky down here in the south.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

Nice shots! If you're going to shell out for a 400mm lens, it might be worthwhile to get a Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm instead (which sell for around the same price as the cheapest 400mm lenses) and keep the full frame body. You'll get about the same reach as 400mm on a crop sensor and get better high ISO performance and sharpness. Most of what I've posted on here has been with a similar setup (D800 plus Sigma 120-300 with 2X teleconverter), and that's been working out pretty well for me.

I just found out yesterday that my Osprey shot from this summer is featured in the current issue of Outdoor California Magazine. Apparently they didn't notify me or my spam filter ate the notification, so I ended up getting the news from local birders.
osprey-trout by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

What teleconverter do you use?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

torgeaux posted:

What teleconverter do you use?

I'm using Sigma's (not the brand new Global Vision version, but the one before that). I'm sure Nikon and Canon's current teleconverters are as good or better, but I went with Sigma's to keep consistent color rendition while shooting video. Image quality is pretty good out of both the 2X and 1.4X, but I don't think they're weather sealed and there's a little bit of play in the mount of the 2X (although that may have developed over time from countless miles of hiking with a fairly heavy lens and camera on it).

Some more photos from my scouting at Arcata Marsh. I got some fantastic footage this week too, but I have some freelance work on my plate before I can get to editing it.

rsh-flight2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

grebe-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

scaups-at-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-flight2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

I'm using Sigma's (not the brand new Global Vision version, but the one before that). I'm sure Nikon and Canon's current teleconverters are as good or better, but I went with Sigma's to keep consistent color rendition while shooting video. Image quality is pretty good out of both the 2X and 1.4X, but I don't think they're weather sealed and there's a little bit of play in the mount of the 2X (although that may have developed over time from countless miles of hiking with a fairly heavy lens and camera on it).

I use a gen one canon 2x and it's OK with my 120-300. Been wondering if it's worth moving to the latest sigma 2x.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

torgeaux posted:

I use a gen one canon 2x and it's OK with my 120-300. Been wondering if it's worth moving to the latest sigma 2x.

Careful with the new Global Vision line of TC's - they have some weird compatibility issues. They won't work with any of the non-Global Vision lenses and the 120-300 Sport might need a firmware update via the dock. Honestly, I'd probably just get a Canon mkII or III TC. They're really good and the mkII's can be found used relatively cheap.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Wish I could get out more, but stuffed back is limiting me at the moment.
I haven't kept up with lenses, if there any chance of a canon 400mm L f5.6 IS mkII or something similar coming out?

Blackbird nesting at home

Nesting by Raikyn, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Moon Potato posted:

there's a little bit of play in the mount of the 2X (although that may have developed over time from countless miles of hiking with a fairly heavy lens and camera on it).

I have a brand new Canon 2x iii extender and it also has a bit of play in the mount. You've been getting some drat nice shots with your setup.

Raikyn posted:

I haven't kept up with lenses, if there any chance of a canon 400mm L f5.6 IS mkII or something similar coming out?

I suspect the Mark II of the 100-400 is going to take the place of the 400/5.6.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello bird thread. I don't usually take photos of animals (because I suck and I'm lazy) but I took this a little while ago:

Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is? It was about half a foot from head to tail. I live in Auckland, New Zealand.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Looks like a White-fronted tern: http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/white-fronted-tern

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awesome, thanks!

My only other (terrible) bird pictures:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Hello bird thread. I don't usually take photos of animals (because I suck and I'm lazy) but I took this a little while ago:

Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is? It was about half a foot from head to tail. I live in Auckland, New Zealand.

Slavvy posted:

Awesome, thanks!

My only other (terrible) bird pictures:

I just posted about EXACTLY THIS in the Wildlife thread in response to your cow photo. Please keep it up! We don't have those birds here

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some more Kenya birds as I slowly go through my shots. Hopefully I didn't post these before.

Vulturine Guineafowl

Oxpeckers at the buffet line

Grey-crowned Crane

Wattled Plover

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Holy gently caress. Those birds look unreal.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Grey-crowned Crane

Oh wow, that's beautiful.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Some more Kenya birds as I slowly go through my shots. Hopefully I didn't post these before.

Vulturine Guineafowl

Oxpeckers at the buffet line

Grey-crowned Crane

Wattled Plover

fantastic photos! I love the vulturated guineafowl, looks like a mish-mash bird. Beautiful colours though. The wattled plover shot is great too, makes you wonder what they're all lined up looking at!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

Wattled Plover

This is dope as heck. If you've got the extra resolution it might look cool cropped to a portrait.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Vulturine Guineafowl

I'm trying to look at bird photos but someone slipped me some acid and put on The Dark Crystal.

Great shots!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the compliments folks.

I don't know what it is about shorebirds but they seem to line up like that often (old picture incoming)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I don't know what it is about shorebirds but they seem to line up like that often (old picture incoming)

Killdeers.

Edit: Oops. Started drinking on an empty stomach after hauling around filming gear all day and misread your post.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 15, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

Its because birds like to sit at rest facing into the wind. They also like to take off into the wind. This is good to know for the bird photoing because if you check the weather before you go out and know where the sun rises/sets you'll know if the birds will generally be facing into or away from the sun at dawn/dusk. It also gives you a good idea where to be if you want to get a good take off shot. <---This is the only useful information I got from Arthur Morris' book btw

Also FYI, raptors like to take a poo poo before they take off from a perch. So if you see an eagle shittin' get yo camera ready.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Also FYI, raptors like to take a poo poo before they take off from a perch. So if you see an eagle shittin' get yo camera ready.

If you see an eagle making GBS threads and your camera isn't already firing full burst you're doing it wrong.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A life first for me, this little guy was elusive. I only saw him in the shadows at first and thought he might be a downy woodpecker (he was tapping on the side of a tree and I've seen Downy woodpeckers in the area before) but then he came out into the sunlight. Beautiful creature. Very shy, only snagged three frames in this spot behind some branches before he disappeared back into the shadows and then flew off.

Red-breasted Sapsucker (male)

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Green Winged Teal by justincook5376, on Flickr

American Coot by justincook5376, on Flickr

Red Tailed by justincook5376, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went out owling yesterday. First sighting was of a few Pine Grosbeaks, which while they are not owls were still a welcome sight since we didn't get any last year in the area.

I was expecting Great Grays, but this Barred Owl made a surprise appearance

Although I did end up finding two Grays. Horrible lighting unfortunately.

Kenshin posted:

A life first for me, this little guy was elusive. I only saw him in the shadows at first and thought he might be a downy woodpecker (he was tapping on the side of a tree and I've seen Downy woodpeckers in the area before) but then he came out into the sunlight. Beautiful creature. Very shy, only snagged three frames in this spot behind some branches before he disappeared back into the shadows and then flew off.

Congrats on the lifer! I don't think we have this guy where I live, but I've yet to see any of the Sapsuckers that we do have.

I don't know if you're after any advice/tips, so if not skip this next bit and accept my compliments on some nice shots.

When you take shots like these it makes a huge difference if you can get down to eye level with the birds (basically if you're not covered in duck poop you're doing it wrong). Also look for eye contact with your subject if you can get it. The red tail shot is nice, but if it was making eye contact it would have been really great.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Went out owling yesterday. First sighting was of a few Pine Grosbeaks, which while they are not owls were still a welcome sight since we didn't get any last year in the area.

I was expecting Great Grays, but this Barred Owl made a surprise appearance

Although I did end up finding two Grays. Horrible lighting unfortunately.

Lucky! The only owl I've ever found was a Great Gray in Discovery Park here in Seattle around this time last year, but I had absolutely no clue what I was doing from a photographic standpoint then so all the pictures were awful.

I see what you mean about the bad lighting, looks like you had to take those with pretty high ISOs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know we have some Vancouver based birders, anyone know when snow owls are expected in Boundary Bay this year?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Nice.

This right here is what keeps me getting up before dawn and spending all day out on the trails. Finding something that you've never seen before, or maybe just caught a glimpse of, and tracking it down (or having the good luck) to photograph it.

There are lots of tanagers, warblers, vireos, and other sorts of elusive migratory perching birds that I've seen for an instant, or have a blurry and underexposed snapshot of, with very beautiful or striking characteristics. Getting that perfect shot of one of those is like finding buried treasure.

Here's a decent shot of a Yellow-crowned night heron that I just ran across in my library. From earlier this summer.
YCNH-1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

And another from September. Ringed kingfisher.
Ringed Kingisher-1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

The kingfisher especially is a little over-processed. I've since started putting together an upgraded kit, although it still lacks a good telephoto solution. Hopefully once I've got that, I won't keep getting too impulsive with the sharpening and noise reduction. Both of these shots were also taken in extremely bright conditions, so the unprocessed RAWs were looking a little plasticy, too.

A friend of mine lent me their Canon EF 100mm / f2.8 macro, as well as an old manual focus Tamron 180mm / f2.3, so now I can at least attempt to shoot birds with my 5Dii. Neither of them have the reach I need, but the price is right and they're amazingly sharp compared to any of my EFS zooms - the 100mm Canon especially so.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kenshin posted:

Lucky! The only owl I've ever found was a Great Gray in Discovery Park here in Seattle around this time last year, but I had absolutely no clue what I was doing from a photographic standpoint then so all the pictures were awful.

I see what you mean about the bad lighting, looks like you had to take those with pretty high ISOs.

I went back through your photos and I think you meant Great Horned rather than Great Gray. Great Horned is still a heck of an awesome bird and one I've never seen in daylight (and never seen period in western Washington). Great Gray would be very rare in western Washington.

VelociBacon posted:

I know we have some Vancouver based birders, anyone know when snow owls are expected in Boundary Bay this year?

In irruption years (2011-2012, 2012-2013) you'd probably already have some present. Last year when only a couple Snowy's showed up they didn't make it down until mid-December according to eBird. The pattern is usually several years between major movements so I wouldn't expect many birds this year, but Washington has already had a Snowy show up so who knows..