Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think I'm going against the grain here, but everything I've seen points to the 90's as being the golden age of japanese cars. You could buy a brand new corolla/civic/pulsar and trust them to do 300,000km+ with nothing going wrong, if you serviced them meticulously. Even if you neglected the poo poo out of them like most people do, they still keep ticking along with minor repairs.

I wouldn't trust any modern japanese car to do the same. Reliability overall I think has reduced significantly in the past ten years as manufacturers are able to build cars to fit the warranty period more and more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DJ Commie posted:

What is really bizarre is that cars have been reliable and durable for 25+ years now, my 1987 Mazda 323 is now at 259,000 miles on the original drivetrain (new CV boots on original axles, clutch replaced only because of oil contamination) and it hasn't taken any work beyond maintenance, and I did it all when I bought it since I wanted a baseline on an unknown car. My Daihatsus never broke down, they also sometimes had original gearbox oil at 150K miles and they held together. My Subarus have eaten wheel bearings and that is about it.

Checks profile....yup, CA.

Sorry, your 323 would be a rusted out shell 10 years ago around here and would have long ago given anyone PTSD trying to work out it from fasteners that were no longer fasteners and instead transformed into permanent links through alchemy.

10 years is about all you can hope for in a car that lives in a state that sees snow before you start looking at having a body shop on retainer and needing to torch anything you want to take apart.

Hell, I just did a brake job on my 4 year old car that has 39k miles on it and one caliper bracket bolt was nearly welded to the knuckle.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Slavvy posted:

I think I'm going against the grain here, but everything I've seen points to the 90's as being the golden age of japanese cars. You could buy a brand new corolla/civic/pulsar and trust them to do 300,000km+ with nothing going wrong, if you serviced them meticulously. Even if you neglected the poo poo out of them like most people do, they still keep ticking along with minor repairs.

I wouldn't trust any modern japanese car to do the same. Reliability overall I think has reduced significantly in the past ten years as manufacturers are able to build cars to fit the warranty period more and more closely.

Yeah this is true, best era for Japanese cars were 80s up to mid 90s where they were trying to be the best they could, and hadn't yet decided "good enough, time to cut cost and budget". When they started making lexus and other off shoot brands, plus also their financial crisis, they really did a number on the quality of their standard cars and got on the planned obsolescence band wagon.

E: VV
I was suprised on the lack of rust on my 323. Baring in mind most of my cars were 1970s mazda rotaries full of rust in their sills and around the front and rear windscreens, the 323 had no rust there at all, just a spot on the rear hatch around the rear window rubber. Mazda really lifted their game in a few years, (and also taught ford Australia a few things about build quality too, since Ford made the 323 here under license as the ford laser, and I've heard ford people say how much better fords in general became as far as paint and not rusting after the mazda people came here)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 11, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

bull3964 posted:

Checks profile....yup, CA.

Sorry, your 323 would be a rusted out shell 10 years ago around here and would have long ago given anyone PTSD trying to work out it from fasteners that were no longer fasteners and instead transformed into permanent links through alchemy.

10 years is about all you can hope for in a car that lives in a state that sees snow before you start looking at having a body shop on retainer and needing to torch anything you want to look at.

Ever seen a rusted out Porsche 944? They actually were so well galvanized that they really didn't rust, especially compared to Japanese cars or generally any decade. As I remember, your 2002 WRX (yay!) had some pretty bad rust when it was 10 years old as well, so its not like Subaru the King of Snow does a particularly good job in that regard either.

I do agree on the 323 rust though, one of my GTXs was from Colorado and was a total distaster underside. It was on its second HKS exhaust when I bought it! My 78 Subaru wagon has some bad rust because of poor design and poorer coatings. I don't think it had even been in the snow before, I have the original 1978 California plates on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fo3 posted:

Yeah this is true, best era for Japanese cars were 80s up to mid 90s where they were trying to be the best they could, and hadn't yet decided "good enough, time to cut cost and budget". When they started making lexus and other off shoot brands, plus also their financial crisis, they really did a number on the quality of their standard cars and got on the planned obsolescence band wagon.

Mercedes and BMW did the same thing. IMO the American offerings didn't start getting good till post 2000.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DJ Commie posted:

Ever seen a rusted out Porsche 944? They actually were so well galvanized that they really didn't rust, especially compared to Japanese cars or generally any decade. As I remember, your 2002 WRX (yay!) had some pretty bad rust when it was 10 years old as well, so its not like Subaru the King of Snow does a particularly good job in that regard either.

I do agree on the 323 rust though, one of my GTXs was from Colorado and was a total distaster underside. It was on its second HKS exhaust when I bought it! My 78 Subaru wagon has some bad rust because of poor design and poorer coatings. I don't think it had even been in the snow before, I have the original 1978 California plates on it.

My point was that you are the outlier. In a good chunk of this country, it doesn't matter if the engine will go to 300k miles, the car will never see it, CAN never see it because of attrition of everything else due to environmental factors. That said, it's still far better than it was 20 years ago.

I had an '86 Corolla that we bought in '94. So, it was 8 years old at the time. It already had it's fair share of body rust, far far worse than my WRX was at the time I got rid of it. This was actual perforation at the dog legs behind the rear doors. Yes, it ran and ran fairly well. Just fairly though. It always had a propensity to stall in damp weather, especially before it was warmed up and did leave me stranded a few times. Contrast that to a car that was FI and was never driven lightly (autocrossed for many years) yet still ran like a top 13 years later and had two quarter sized rust spots in the body.

My '11 is doing better still at this point in it's life compared to my '02.

Rose colored glasses. We just remember all the times driving the car, we don't remember all the frustrating moments of 'stuff needing fixed'. "Oh, it ran great, never gave me problems, except for the times it did."

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

My point was that you are the outlier. In a good chunk of this country, it doesn't matter if the engine will go to 300k miles, the car will never see it, CAN never see it because of attrition of everything else due to environmental factors. That said, it's still far better than it was 20 years ago.

Rust does kill cars, I agree. But calling a resident of a the largest state in the US with more cars than the Midwest has people an outlier is a bit odd. Just the 3 cities of New York, Chicago, and Detroit pretty much make the statistics support your viewpoint. My point is that outside of environmental factors, cars have been reliable for a quarter century, and barring corrosion protection, haven't had much of an issue once fuel injection, electronic ignition, lubrication tech, and powertrain metallurgy stepped up. Galvanizing would and does take care of rust, but its so expensive that it hasn't really been combined with all the other necassary engineering for preventing rust.

There's always real outliers: the Porsche 914 had insane rust problems, had fuel injection combined with mechanical points. What an odd beast.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cursedshitbox posted:

Other junkers keep my old merc alive. Mercedes is quite good at tossing the same underpinnings across other vehicles, so I literally have parts from cars into the 2000s era. I *know* GM is also an offender of this.

You better loving believe that. That's why I have parts from the 80s, 90s, and 00s on my 1971 :v:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What about the dog? :ohdear:

Insta-gibbed. Pretty sure it broke his neck.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Farking Bastage posted:

:cry:

I don't know what I'd do if I hit a dog.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ritual suicide is an option.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

EightBit posted:

:cry:

I don't know what I'd do if I hit a dog.

I felt awful about it. Went home and hugged my three then double-checked the invisible fence to make sure it was in good working order.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

32GB of RAM in my laptop :smuggo:

:lol: What the gently caress?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Godholio posted:

:lol: What the gently caress?

Alienware penis replacement?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

It would definitely be if it was ECC RAM.

Now that I think of it, my crappy HP laptop i bought for $20 (broken screen CL find) has virtulization extensions, bizarre for a crappy Costco laptop.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

It would definitely be if it was ECC RAM.

Now that I think of it, my crappy HP laptop i bought for $20 (broken screen CL find) has virtulization extensions, bizarre for a crappy Costco laptop.

Virtualization extensions are just a few extra instructions that reduce the amount of memory-mapping math virtual machine software needs to use, and they are useful for software like VMware and for complete hypervisor systems. They're on most of the past few years of mainstream PC processors, with few exceptions.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

EightBit posted:

Virtualization extensions are just a few extra instructions that reduce the amount of memory-mapping math virtual machine software needs to use, and they are useful for software like VMware and for complete hypervisor systems. They're on most of the past few years of mainstream PC processors, with few exceptions.

Yeah, I just thought it was funny that shitpile has them whereas my i5 didn't, meaning the shitpile got ESX duty before I moved the VMs to the N36L, which was like 15% of its speed.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Farking Bastage posted:

At least it went quickly and wasnt half a dog trying to drag itself to the side of the road :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DJ Commie posted:

Ever seen a rusted out Porsche 944?

Dozens, yes. They're fairly common in the Mid-Atlantic. Like paint, zeibarting only protects metal with a perfectly unbroken surface. Bend, chip, or scratch it and you've let the devil into the dining room.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hey, look at all of these pictures in a picture thread!

:smithicide:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that's an NSX.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Uthor posted:

poo poo, I think that's more than in my work desktop where I do CAD modeling all day.

And probably explains the massive slow downs and crashes that happen at the end of the day when I've opened all the big assemblies.

drat son, get them to pay for an upgrade. The computer I have for 3D modeling at work (Leapfrog 3D mostly, some MapInfo and ioGas) has 64 gig of ram, two GTX 780 Ti cards and two 500 gig SSDs. I got the geophysicists at work to kick in some money for it so they can use it to run calculations on the weekends. Cost about 7 grand in total.

But that ain't a picture. This is.

8 ton piston from a cargo ship. Picture is from this gallery, full photoshoot of them changing the piston out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DJ Commie posted:

My 78 Subaru wagon has some bad rust because of poor design and poorer coatings. I don't think it had even been in the snow before, I have the original 1978 California plates on it.

Bastard killed my mom's '81 Civic DX. Else I'd have it by now. She paid $5000 for it, brand-new; 5-speed, radio delete. Got almost 50-MPG on the highway with the CVCC engine. I was in away college at the time, else I would have told her run, don't walk, away from undercoating.

Re: salvage yards: they got me through high school & college, when I paid $250 max for a car, went through five by the time I was 21.

I can fix damned near anything mechanical except transmissions, as long as the car is older than, say, 1990, preferably pre-'85. I will have right of first refusal for my company car when the lease is up, a 2013 Flex. I love it although the mileage sucks, and would probably get a screaming deal, but am afraid of trying to repair it, mostly because of the computer-driven electrics, but also the 9,000 sensors, cost & quality of parts...it was at the dealer for CV joints, rotors (at 36K...hard city driving) as well as weird gremlins involving the radio, the headlights, and the door sensors. It sat for almost two weeks, waiting for parts.

Reliability has obviated the need for drivers/owners to understand their vehicle & systems; engineering has fully insulated them from the vehicle, almost entirely in the literal sense; and planned obsolescence & increased complexity have discouraged or driven off kids like me, who are eager to learn & do for themselves. I have taught my son what I can...on a '68 VW.

TL/DR: Everything posted is true:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm suprised the tire took the the brunt of whatever the hell happened to that car :aaa:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My mom had the oil "undercoat" on her hoda accord and that thing was as close to rust free as a 12 year old could be when she sold it. I dunno what kind of undercoat the rusty trombone system used but filling the framerails with oil and bathing the underside of the car worked awesome.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Slavvy posted:

They got fat and lazy. Same thing happens to almost every large company that is successful. First it was American domestics, then the Japanese. I'm expecting the koreans to start having the same problems soon.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My friend's minivan developed a coolant leak. Her roommate "fixed" it. He said it was knocking like crazy going down the driveway, and that they'd blown up the bottom end overheating it.

Turns out he'd left a screwdriver in the serpentine belt. That was the knocking.

This was the "fix."

Galvanized pipe, black iron 90s and nipples to go to the stock rubber tubing. The coolant overflow tank is already rust-colored.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks good, man :corsair:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Mercedes and BMW did the same thing. IMO the American offerings didn't start getting good till post 2000.

Having seen a few recent American cars I'm inclined to disagree. Unless you're not counting Chrysler :v:

MRC48B posted:

They got fat and lazy. Same thing happens to almost every large company that is successful. First it was American domestics, then the Japanese. I'm expecting the koreans to start having the same problems soon.

The Koreans won't be doing this any time soon because their market share is still laughably small compared to the major players. The Japanese companies had the advantage of previously unheard-of market conditions, new model niches to exploit and a public who had never known anything other than lovely thirsty cars. Dependable, quality vehicles with excellent fuel consumption are now considered the norm so they haven't made the same massive inroads that the Japanese did.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Is that really a failure?

It looks to me like he's just snipping some zipties & putting the nut back on if he decides he wants to run that rear swaybar mid-autox... (with only one side connected it acts like no bar, but it won't clang on anything & it's quick to reconnect)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Saw the driver pull out of that poor excuse of a drive-way with a sharp 4" drop from sidewalk to pavement with a nasty crunch one evening, now it's sat there like that for a week. That's gotta suck.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

MrLonghair posted:

Saw the driver pull out of that poor excuse of a drive-way with a sharp 4" drop from sidewalk to pavement with a nasty crunch one evening, now it's sat there like that for a week. That's gotta suck.
Here's a sweet video of the president's limo bottoming out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl25S7hy8mo

It's less amusing when it happens to a semi carrying an oversized load on an at-grade railroad crossing.

Did you know that they don't even bother to do a drug/alcohol test on the crew when a train hits a vehicle at a level crossing, as a special exception to normal rules any time there is a transportation accident? It's considered a normal hazard when driving a train. I seem to recall reading NTSB statistics saying the average train engineer has four vehicle or pedestrian strikes in their career, but I could be making this up.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Remember kids: Even if it says Garrett on the thing doesn't guarantee its actually made by them.

I wish I got a better photo of the housing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tobu posted:

Remember kids: Even if it says Garrett on the thing doesn't guarantee its actually made by them.

I wish I got a better photo of the housing.

Yours? Backstory?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

CarForumPoster posted:

Yours? Backstory?

Fellow goon who never posts but is kind enough to let me use his garage. He bought it from gumtree (like craigslist but for Australia) ages ago but once it was on the car (Falcon XR6 ute) it didn't even last a week at low boost (8psi) before the shaft developed a wobble (wobble).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

In my day you could repair everything!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

In my day you could repair everything!

:captainpop:

Holy poo poo.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It took me a second to see what was going on. Nice.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I understand the screwed on piece is likely to not belong there but I'm having trouble identifying what the rest of it is.

Throttle body segment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I understand the screwed on piece is likely to not belong there but I'm having trouble identifying what the rest of it is.

Throttle body segment?

It's a piston on a GT750 (two stroke triple - other two no longer present) that used to have a hole in it.

loving shade tree mechanics - a professional would have used Allen bolts.

Saga fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 14, 2014