Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

gamingCaffeinator posted:

What item could make Azazel look like this?

I honestly have no idea what happened. I walked into a six-pip die room, and when it finished re-rolling I looked like this.

e: drat that's big

The eyes are from whatever the hell that item is called that gives you big tears that shrink over distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Alkydere posted:

Right, I think I'm gonna join the "no Monstro's Lung" club. Not because it's bad, it's not (at least not in theory) but the fact that you have to get so close and it has such a long charge it's a pain to use once you get to the Womb. I was losing a lot of charges too but I'm not sure if that was because of my keyboard (it has issues with holding charges sometimes in BOI, every couple of minutes it will just not read an inputs for half a second) or because it's such a long charge or both.

It's really a lackluster item when compared to Brimstone since Brimstone charges faster and lets you keep distance.

Monstro's Lung is fun enough for me. Also, you can shorten the charge time of both items with other upgrades. I think it's Tears Up you need but don't quote me on that.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
What's the best way to complete the Family Man challenge? I feel soooooooooo crippled. :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Tears Up does reduce the charge time of charge shots. As for Monstro's Lung, it's good if you have power-ups that give a chance to inflict some sort of status effect on hit. You spit out so many bullets you're pretty much guaranteed to inflict a status on any boss or tough enemy strong enough to not be destroyed outright.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Is there any way to always avoid Isaac's big beams of light attack? Sometimes the lower corner is safe, sometimes it isn't.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Rocketlex posted:

I don't buy this. Maybe with some roguelikes this is true, but that's because generally roguelikes are badly-designed games that have tricked people into thinking their horrible lack of balance is a feature. Binding of Isaac is almost always good about avoiding no-win scenarios, and when it has them they're almost never baked directly into the generation or level design they way they are in that one room.

It's a clever, but bad idea for a room and doesn't need to be there.

There's a full heart that spawns in each of the corners of the room. Doesn't help much if you're the Blue Baby or only have a single heart container, but it's there.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Is there any way to always avoid Isaac's big beams of light attack? Sometimes the lower corner is safe, sometimes it isn't.

Stand so you're in one of the empty diagonal parallel rows.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Sanctum posted:

This room is straight up bullshit.

1 heart of damage and no way to avoid it without flight.

Ran into an interesting variation on this room just now:

(I immediately hosed up and took a heart of damage.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's a full heart that spawns in each of the corners of the room. Doesn't help much if you're the Blue Baby or only have a single heart container, but it's there.

Yeah. But again, something I admire about the game is that it almost never puts you in a no-win state that doesn't also kill you outright. So long as you have half a heart to your name, you can conceivably survive any encounter or room the game throws at you...except that one if you're not in a position to use hearts OR used that heart up somehow. I mean, yes, if you take the heart and waste it that's your fault, but the game doesn't usually punish things like that, at least not by making you walking-dead.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i forget to say it every time, but gently caress those brimstone spiders.
gently caress their super fast charge, and the fact that the hitbox for their brimstone remains the same even when the animaiton shows a vanishing thin line

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Waffleopolis posted:

What's the best way to complete the Family Man challenge? I feel soooooooooo crippled. :(
Keep in mind that damage ups will increase the damage of rotten baby's flies. That guy's your strongest asset.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just played Azazel for the first time, and got Ludovico Technique on the first floor. That was my fastest run by far, and I got Basement Boy or whatever the no damage one was. I ended up beating Isaac on that one even though I don't even have It Lives yet, but I was dumb on each floor after the Basement so I didn't get any more Boy achievements. What requirements and rewards are there for speed runs? I read something hinting at it on the main page of the wiki but I can't find anything about it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ArfJason posted:

i forget to say it every time, but gently caress those brimstone spiders.
gently caress their super fast charge, and the fact that the hitbox for their brimstone remains the same even when the animaiton shows a vanishing thin line

i really hate them and the drat skeletons for about the same reasons, the big one being that they attack so goddamn fast with very little warning

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i wouldn't care so much about brimstone spiders if they, along with those assholes that spawn from the ground on your feet on womb hadn't ruined almost every good momma's boy run i had

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

50 restarts. It took me 50 restarts to get those Mullibooms to show up.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'd like Brimstone Spiders if they were more visually distinct from the other spiders. Like really, for the amount of time some rooms give you to recognize and dodge them, those drat things should be color-coded.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

I'd like Brimstone Spiders if they were more visually distinct from the other spiders. Like really, for the amount of time some rooms give you to recognize and dodge them, those drat things should be color-coded.

I think they're arranged by area. The three-shot forward ones spawn in Basement/Cellar, the three-shot spread ones spawn in Caves/Catacombs and everything after that is Brimstone ones.

It'd still be better if they were also more visually distinct but keeping that mental note in my mind has helped alot when I hit the Depths.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
On the topic of no-win states, I recently encountered a room on the first floor with enemies I was literally unable to hit without using a bomb to clear up an obstruction. I would have been able to hit them with regular tears, but I had Technology. I was lucky to have bombs, because if I hadn't I would have had to reset.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Brother Entropy posted:

I think they're arranged by area. The three-shot forward ones spawn in Basement/Cellar, the three-shot spread ones spawn in Caves/Catacombs and everything after that is Brimstone ones.

It'd still be better if they were also more visually distinct but keeping that mental note in my mind has helped alot when I hit the Depths.

The faces change slightly with each version. The brimstone ones drool blood.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRagamuffin posted:

The faces change slightly with each version. The brimstone ones drool blood.

They're still really, really similar though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of The Lost, by the way, Edmund and Tyrone were recently interviewed on a podcast stream by Vinny of Vinesauce, and they had this to say about the datamining:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2lxx87/ed_on_the_losts_datamining_its_disheartening_ive

quote:

Vinny: You guys put a lot of secrets in Isaac, a lot of codes, a lot of seeds. I remember how you didn't want people to discover them right away. My question to you guys is-
Edmund: You already loving hosed it up! They hosed it up.
Tyrone: They swallowed a hundred dollar steak in one bite.
E: Yep. It's... man. Tyrone's analogy is right. It's true. They couldn't resist it, they had to break it apart. And even though people were actively working on some of the biggest secrets that would have taken awhile to unfold, they said "NOOOOO! I WANT IT ALL NOW!"
V: And then they spoiled it for the rest of us.
E: It's disheartening. It sucks because we're gonna start working on an expansion soon, but we sure as hell aren't gonna loving take all the time that it took - especially with Simon, who tried his best to really bury the stuff so it would deter people from doing this, but all they see is a challenge, so they're going to dive right in and do it anyway. I can say right now that I don't think the expansion is going to feature any buried secrets that anybody will care about.
T: It was months of our life, between me and Ed and Simon. Ed had this really crazy idea, we were like "let's do it, it'll take months, some people won't find this for years!" Nope, one week.
E: Nobody likes to wait anymore. They like to eat it now!
T: I'm going to challenge the dataminers for the expansion, because I have something that I haven't even told Ed about that guarantees that they won't be able to mine poo poo. It'll take at least three days this time! (laughs)
E: There was some stuff in the original Isaac that I thought wouldn't be uncovered for awhile. It ended up being uncovered legitimately, but faster than I thought it'd be. I thought I'd go even further [with Rebirth], but I think I've learned that there's no point in really doing that stuff, and the best way to hide a secret is to lock it in a very challenging area. I think if we end up doing anything like that in Rebirth, it'll just be behind a barrier of entry; having a certain amount of skill. Not something that I thought was going to be a really fun and community-based ARG, which would have been nice if it was allowed to take place, but you know... whatever.

http://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce/b/587511126
(comes up at about 2:17:00)

Personally I think Edmund is incorrect at least in this one case, because the riddle was pretty close to being solved or at least partially solved when the datamined information first came out and got spread around. I wonder what he would have said if the puzzle got solved the intended way instead, because he does say that part of these things for him is that they take a long time to solve. The community-based progress he talks about was just about neck and neck with the data mining that went on but I guess for him it's more the principle of it all. They do ask not to decrypt the files in the readme and all, and people did it anyway because the internet will be the internet. Is there cause for being upset about something obviously inevitable like that though?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 12, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tollymain posted:

They're still really, really similar though.

When you see a wall-spider it's generally advisable to just get the gently caress out of the way immediately regardless of type, especially because the brimstone ones always seem to spawn directly across from you. Hate those things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of The Lost, by the way, Edmund and Tyrone were recently interviewed on a podcast stream by Vinny of Vinesauce, and they had this to say about the datamining:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2lxx87/ed_on_the_losts_datamining_its_disheartening_ive

http://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce/b/587511126
(comes up at about 2:17:00)

Between this and P.T. there's probably no secret too obscure for the miners to crack. Which I prefer, honestly. Maddeningly obtuse puzzles are one of those old-timey gaming trends I'm glad have fallen by the wayside, and in the case of The Lost it's still a significant challenge unlocking the drat thing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CJacobs posted:

Personally I think Edmund is incorrect at least in this one case, because the riddle was pretty close to being solved or at least partially solved when the datamined information first came out and got spread around.

Also, he made the critical mistake of putting the Lost in the achievements list. Once people saw "Clear the Cathedral with the Lost", it was only a matter of time. If he genuinely wanted it to remain secret, don't mention the secret anywhere.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Even if it was tackled legitimately, the community would've solved it pretty fast. They already figured out the puzzle, all that was left was to put it together. As another example, Valve made an ARG for TF2 that they thought would take a few weeks to solve. The community solved it in 12 hours.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Magres posted:

Do it with Azazel. He's fast enough to easily play ring-around-the-rosey with the black leeches, and he's always going to have the damage to shred bosses.

Well yeah, but everything is easy in this game when you use the character that is broken. Plus if I don't learn to beat it with other characters I won't be able to get their unlocks.

Its really the third form that is tripping me up because it takes so drat long to kill. Satan keeps his feet down for such a short period that I get barely any hits in, plus you're constantly forced to run around to avoid the leeches. It just takes so long that even with a large health bar I get worn down from the full heart damage.

Its crazy how much easier the game is if you get an item that halves damage. It effectively doubles your health bar for the womb and beyond.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i get that they're disappointed and all, but the people doing it the legit way would have figured it all out within a day or two more at most. once people had the relevant bits of the puzzles figured out it wouldn't have been a complex logical leap to 'hey, maybe we should die in these 4 very clearly shown ways'. usually ARG kinda stuff lasts longer because either parts of it are dripfed to the people or at the very least the direct solution won't be at the end of putting together a couple of puzzles.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oxxidation posted:

Between this and P.T. there's probably no secret too obscure for the miners to crack. Which I prefer, honestly. Maddeningly obtuse puzzles are one of those old-timey gaming trends I'm glad have fallen by the wayside, and in the case of The Lost it's still a significant challenge unlocking the drat thing.

Honestly, ARGs are nice...to watch from the sideline. I didn't really mind but I was a bit saddened to see all these people having their fun ruined by some dataminers.

And it looked like it was a really well done ARG too. At least they had figured it out and built it ahead of time compared to maybe Overkill who goes "WE HAVE A SECRET! TEEHEE!" and then slap it together over the game's lfiespan.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well the good news is after finally finding a Sacred Heart in an angel room I'm picking-up-one-specific-item away from 100%.

The bad news is that item is Steven, which I think might require me to beat the Steven boss and then either already have Little Steven, get lucky and have the Steven item drop, or get lucky and re-roll the Little Steven item that usually drops into the bigger version. At least, if it's the same as the original game.

Well at least he's a basement boss I guess. Let's see how long it takes before I either get lucky or turn into :shepicide: from restarting for the 500th time.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

TheRagamuffin posted:

Ran into an interesting variation on this room just now:

(I immediately hosed up and took a heart of damage.)

Play Azazel for the no-damage runs. Flight gets you out of *SO MUCH TROUBLE* that just having it guaranteed from the start is a significant boost in managing those achievements.

Meanwhile, is anyone else ready to scream at the number of times the final Depths II shop is just (Super) Greed? It seems to happen to about three quarters of my runs that make it that far and I inevitably end up with a shitton of coins that I can't do a last-purchase spend on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oxxidation posted:

yeah the Lost is kind of a horseshit unlock even when you know how to get it honestly

of course we want to 'eat it now', the other way around isn't fun

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IronicDongz posted:

yeah the Lost is kind of a horseshit unlock even when you know how to get it honestly

of course we want to 'eat it now', the other way around isn't fun

I just hope a later patch makes him less bullshit to unlock. He might be fun to play with but I've wasted way too much time and suck too hard at the game to try any more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
If I pick up an item that modifies tears (say, common cold), and later the item that triggers random tear mods (three dollar bill), is the original item still on all the time or will it get flipped on and off randomly?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the community had already basically identified and solved the puzzle (as in, they'd worked out exactly what they had to do and what it meant), it was just a matter of collecting all the pieces at that point.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

On the topic of no-win states, I recently encountered a room on the first floor with enemies I was literally unable to hit without using a bomb to clear up an obstruction. I would have been able to hit them with regular tears, but I had Technology. I was lucky to have bombs, because if I hadn't I would have had to reset.
If you spend long enough in a room the doors open and you can leave (not sure if it's only for specific rooms, I had it happen for something like the one you're describing). So while it would be boring you wouldn't have to reset.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why people feel obligated to get the Lost since he seems like such a lovely character to play the game with. Are there any items locked behind him or something?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

haveblue posted:

If I pick up an item that modifies tears (say, common cold), and later the item that triggers random tear mods (three dollar bill), is the original item still on all the time or will it get flipped on and off randomly?

It's on all the time. I'm not sure if it's removed from 3 dollar's rotation, though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Satan's third stage is such a fucker with Curse of Darkness. I put off my Isaac Sheol run (because after having the D6 for so long in the original playing Isaac's just depressing) and almost lost it on that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why people feel obligated to get the Lost since he seems like such a lovely character to play the game with. Are there any items locked behind him or something?

Several, yes, and they're all very good.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Well yeah, but everything is easy in this game when you use the character that is broken. Plus if I don't learn to beat it with other characters I won't be able to get their unlocks.

Its really the third form that is tripping me up because it takes so drat long to kill. Satan keeps his feet down for such a short period that I get barely any hits in, plus you're constantly forced to run around to avoid the leeches. It just takes so long that even with a large health bar I get worn down from the full heart damage.

Its crazy how much easier the game is if you get an item that halves damage. It effectively doubles your health bar for the womb and beyond.

That's fair. My basic strat for Satan Legs is literally just never stop shooting and moving. I just run diagonal zigzags and spray everywhere and it chips him down pretty good.

In other news, I got the Bossfucker 9000 setup on Blue. Cursed Tears, Ipecac, Krampus' Head. Walk in with my Ipecac Shotgun charged up, and let it go while I press spacebar. poo poo's dying in half a second flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, you guys like insane runs, right? How about double brimstone cat mode runs? Cause I have a hell of an Eden run for you. Started with the prayer card and scapular, second floor devil room had brimstone, lil brimstone and dead cat, and I had almost two rows of health. Ended like this.

The seed is CXTT 7966 and just open every chest and go to every sacrifice room along the way. Unlocks may apply and such.