Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Do not even ask posted:

it looks a helluva lot more fun than the horrifying bloated mess tf2 morphed into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Man, next week's podcast should have quite the "Ubi, please!" segment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Butt enhancement servos online, press Q to distract enemies

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did woolie imply that sonic 3 wasn't the best in the series on the podcast?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Did woolie imply that sonic 3 wasn't the best in the series on the podcast?

It isn't. S3&K is in contention tho. Vanilla Sonic 3 is actually not that great.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

And, I mean, Sonic Adventure 2 IS the best 3D platformer ever made, so that gives 3&K a run for its money as well.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

And, I mean, Sonic Adventure 2 IS the best 3D platformer ever made, so that gives 3&K a run for its money as well.

Oh man!

Ohhhhhh...aaahhhhhhh!

Ahhhh!

Man, that was a good one.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I agree, SA2 was a good one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I agree, SA2 was a good one.

Hilarious physics bugs aside the only good thing about SA2 is the Crush40 songlist. The Sonic levels are hilariously terrible and glitchy and nothing feels right on the controls, and the knuckles level's are the most boring unfun section in a game that includes sections where you play as Tails piloting a metal butt with legs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic Adventure 2 is the only 3D Sonic game where Sonic has not controlled like hot garbage besides the ones where he is a race car so points to it for that (because the speed the deep lore assigns to Sonic cannot coexist with normal human reaction time). In the internet age it is a very polarizing game and it has not aged too well but in its heyday it was drat good. "The best 3D platformer ever made" might be stretching it a bit, thinking back to some of those robot mech stages, but it was still pretty great in its time and for its audience.

edit: Come to think of it, there really haven't been many actually open-camera 3D sonic games. Recently Sega has realized the "camera behind Sonic's butt while the player plays Tron The Hedgehog" angle is probably the least bad so I guess that's just what they're sticking with now.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 12, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Those Knuckles raps, though. Come on!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There is one good Sonic game and that is Colors. Those original games are not great platformers and haven't really aged much better than the Adventure series. Colors boils down all the series positive points with none of the negative ones.

Music's usually pretty good across the series though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Do not even ask posted:

it looks a helluva lot more fun than the horrifying bloated mess tf2 morphed into

What's wrong with current TF2, gnarled, twisted mass of code from 8 years of updates aside?

poo poo, if you want to see how far it's come, look up some gameplay of the 360 version of the orange box on youtube. Demoman came stock with 6 pipes in his launcher and they exploded if they touched an enemy even after hitting the ground(as opposed to now, when they only explode on contact if they connect with an enemy while airborne). They added airblast for pyros giving them utility, gave engineers more things to do with their buildings, added maneuverability options for the soldier, demoman, and medic, made spies able to get through chokepoints without dying instantly, gave snipers utility past "shoot mans in head", and gave the heavy a bunch of options(maybe more than they should have). Scout gets some neat tricks too as well as utility items.

If your complaint is from unusual hats and the mannconomy, it's entirely cosmetic and thus doesn't actually affect gameplay.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

TheRealestMatt posted:

Oh man!

Ohhhhhh...aaahhhhhhh!

Ahhhh!

Man, that was a good one.

Stop liking the thing I don't like.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sonic Adventure 2 is really bad even for its time and started the descent... nah, I'm just kidding that Adventure 1 that did that.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Adventure 2 is like the ski ramp for Sonic's decline.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beef Waifu posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 is really bad even for its time and started the descent... nah, I'm just kidding that Adventure 1 that did that.

Sorry about how wrong you are, maybe you're thinking of the Dreamcast as a console?

edit: "which game was the first bad Sonic game" is an ongoing argument that will continue for eons.

When mankind is destroyed by its own greed, the world turned into a grey, ashen husk of the lush and beautiful planet it once was... when Earth is uninhabitable by animal, vegetable, or mineral alike, there will be massive obelisks made out of a glorious shining metal. These obelisks will rise from the cracked earth and dirt and mud over piles of bones and steaming pits of bubbling tar, our planet's barest form returned to the surface for the first time in millions of years. On the surface of one such obelisk will read, in faint, ancient scratches: "Nuh uh, idiot, obviously Sonic Adventure marked the decline of the series". Humans may be dead in this far flung bad future, but their screams about Sonic the Hedgehog still echo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 12, 2014

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The first bad Sonic game was Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dreamcast was bad aside from a few games here and there, but nope Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are legit not good. Maybe if most of SA1 and 2 weren't poorly designed stages for half of the cast (In SA2's case it's more like most of the cast), poor boss fights, and silly gimmick stages they'd have been good.

TriffTshngo posted:

The first bad Sonic game was Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis.

This is the actual correct answer, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From another forum:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sonic Adventure 2 was alright but I think it's when they went overboard with characters just so they could have a dark side or whatever. Know what they say too many cooks and all that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Know what they say too many cooks and all that.

They'll fill our hearts with so much, so much love?

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

Tae posted:

So none of the crew plays TF2 because they barely mentioned team shooters like even Counter-strike during the Overwatch segment.

They don't really play shooters iirc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mesothelioma posted:

They don't really play shooters iirc

Liam and Woolie played Destiny, I think Pat did too. And they know about Left for Dead, so maybe they just don't check steam outside of PC ports?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

Liam and Woolie played Destiny

Exactly, they don't really play shooters.

Pat does, though.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

This quote is also eligible under Geneva conventions as a war crime.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

I play lots of shooters, but just the ones I like the concept for, or have really strong single player narratives. I'm not too fond of online multiplayer heavy poo poo.

I beat Wolfenstein the new order earlier this year and loved it, and am currently playing through Shadow Warrior. That being said, I have not played Destiny because every single person I've ever talked to keeps telling me its not worth it.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

TheRealestMatt posted:

I play lots of shooters, but just the ones I like the concept for, or have really strong single player narratives. I'm not too fond of online multiplayer heavy poo poo.

I beat Wolfenstein the new order earlier this year and loved it, and am currently playing through Shadow Warrior. That being said, I have not played Destiny because every single person I've ever talked to keeps telling me its not worth it.

Going back to Sonic, I think SA and SA2 are OKAY. But weren't super great back that, and have aged really poorly now a days. I was scoffing at the notion that ANYONE would consider a 3D Sonic game to even come close to one of the best 3D platformers of all time, but I assume that was simply bait.

if I had to rank the 3D console Sonics, from best to worst, I'd saaaaay

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Lost World
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 2006

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Man I just finished watching an LP of Lost World and that game looks like the biggest pile of poo poo on earth. I'd say Sonic 06 is better because at least you can laugh at how broken and awful it is, Lost World is the wrong kind of bad where you can't even riff on it properly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Let's not go completely crazy here... Sonic Boom is about to come out, and apparently Sega aren't even sending out review copies for that one.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Let's not go completely crazy here... Sonic Boom is about to come out, and apparently Sega aren't even sending out review copies for that one.

Why bother? It's aimed at kids. Kids aren't going to read a review, they're going to see the new Sonic cartoon and the commercial for the new game with the same name and tell their mom they want it for Christmas. Simple as that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Chao Garden is the best part of 3D Sonic games anyway

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Going back to Sonic, I think SA and SA2 are OKAY. But weren't super great back that, and have aged really poorly now a days. I was scoffing at the notion that ANYONE would consider a 3D Sonic game to even come close to one of the best 3D platformers of all time, but I assume that was simply bait.

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic 2006

I don't follow the Sonic series at all but if someone read these to me out loud I would assume at least 50% of these titles are fake.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I've seen the SBFP video on Sonic and the Black Knight and I'm still not convinced it's real.

RareAcumen posted:

The Chao Garden is the best part of 3D Sonic games anyway

This guy knows what's up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TriffTshngo posted:

Why bother? It's aimed at kids. Kids aren't going to read a review, they're going to see the new Sonic cartoon and the commercial for the new game with the same name and tell their mom they want it for Christmas. Simple as that.

The games apparently a barely working cluster of coding. It's not as unpolished visually as 06 but it's just as buggy.

(click!)

Apparently some speedrunner started the game up and it's turned into him just laughing and trying to find as many bugs as he can.

Fresh from the thread over in games. Look at this garbage

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 12, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0X6Y19Qcks

The Secret Best Friend begins his dark work.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

Finally, someone who actually knows Dark Souls lore :smug:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Huh, I never used the Bandit starting class. They gear you up pretty well, though I'm a Pyro scum because I can't be tempted away from the Sl1 stat goodness.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Rodyle posted:

I really hope Plague guests on the podcast one day, lovely internet and all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TheRealestMatt posted:

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic 2006

Okay, but how would you rank them in terms of who had the "best" soundtrack? Because Adventure 1 & 2 would be at the top of that list.