Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bonkers combo I just got in a Judas run: Lump of Coal, Ring Worm, Anti-Gravity Tears plus Sad Onion/The Pact and a few other tears up/damage items. You can basically lay claymores for any bosses with stomp attacks or fire off pulsing cluster bombs.

Also the all champions version of the Boss Rush is bullshit, the Carrion Queen who poops little hearts has an obscene amount of health and the black scythes Death uses blend in like completely with the dungeon floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Power of Pecota posted:

Also the all champions version of the Boss Rush is bullshit, the Carrion Queen who poops little hearts has an obscene amount of health and the black scythes Death uses blend in like completely with the dungeon floor.

I'd rather deal with the champion Carrion Queen to be honest. No regenerating red poops to worry about.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Can the Mask of Infamy item (damage reduction) be overriden? I picked it up early in a run and it was tanking hits and then I picked up some other items later on and it seemed to have stopped working but I'm not sure at what point it happened.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Infamy does not provide reliable protection, unlike the Holy Mantle. Gives you a chance to absorb a hit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone who hates Monstro's Lung needs to unlock the scythe. They end up so big that it's pretty much impossible for them to not all hit something at any range and they pierce enemies. The scythe is also a really common devil room item.

I don't even have many other damage upgrades in that one.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
gently caress Libra, I picked it up on the chest and nearly lost because of it. I had a great glass cannon thing going on and as soon as I picked up libra I notice my damage has plummeted.

Guess there just has to be one detrimental astrology symbol, otherwise you can just pick them up without caring about which symbol it is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sanctum posted:

gently caress Libra, I picked it up on the chest and nearly lost because of it. I had a great glass cannon thing going on and as soon as I picked up libra I notice my damage has plummeted.

Guess there just has to be one detrimental astrology symbol, otherwise you can just pick them up without caring about which symbol it is.

I always pick it up early. One time it maxed my fire rate on basement 1 for no apparent reason and without really affecting anything else.

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
So, what exactly is the requirement to unlock godhead? I beat both the lamb and ???? On hard as the lost but it didn't pop up as unlocked. Do I have to pick up the mind, body, and soul in one run or something because I've yet to see even one of them anywhere.

Playing on the vita and haven't updated in case I have to beat megasatan as the lost.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Got the Ludovico Technique for the first time, and holy poo poo. I wasn't sure that run was gonna go well until that point since I wasn't doing too well on health, but after that it was easy mode. It plus The Mark and the Book of Belial shredded everything. Though there was a double Dark One room in Sheol that I just bombed my way out of because gently caress that poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Out of curiosity, can the D6 re-roll devil deal offers?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Big Lebowski posted:

So, what exactly is the requirement to unlock godhead? I beat both the lamb and ???? On hard as the lost but it didn't pop up as unlocked. Do I have to pick up the mind, body, and soul in one run or something because I've yet to see even one of them anywhere.

Playing on the vita and haven't updated in case I have to beat megasatan as the lost.

Us Vita players are still waiting on the 1.02 patch. That item won't unlock pre 1.02.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alkydere posted:

Yup, as well as Angel room items, shop items, and stuff like the blood bag from a blood machine or Skatole from a judgey.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Nothing like getting the last hit in on Isaac, dying, but getting the win anyway.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
gently caress whore of babylon is complete trash. I wonder if it's any different to how it was in the original game. It gives such a pathetic damage bonus. I bet on it at the start of my Blue Baby run and it just completely let me down damage-wise.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Welp I'm glad I got the Godhead before they fixed the Dead Cat thing. I'd rather have fun with crazy items now and then I can mess around with The Lost later on to see how far I can go without torturing myself.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm new to this game. How do I unlock things? I've unlocked a couple of things (all bosses I think) and got to the fourth or fifth stage a couple of times. Is stuff only really unlocked by finishing the game or something?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

gently caress whore of babylon is complete trash. I wonder if it's any different to how it was in the original game. It gives such a pathetic damage bonus. I bet on it at the start of my Blue Baby run and it just completely let me down damage-wise.

Uh, Whore of Babylon is two bars of damage and a bar of speed. It's a great item.

It's actually even better than it was in the original, where it made you significantly bigger and easier to hit.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 12, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghost Head posted:

Whore of Babylon is basically 100% meant for Eve players because Eve definitely needs the damage boost. It's also good for Judas as long as you can maintain a single permanent heart container because you can stack it with the Book of Belial, and if you fill up on soul/black hearts and steer around health up items (or just donate to blood donation machines till you get back down to 1) you can have two almost-permanent damage buffs at any time.

edit: It confuses me a bit that you would say that, then, because isn't it always active for ??? since he doesn't have any heart containers?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ghost Head posted:

Are you crazy? I haven't gotten it on anyone but Eve, who starts with it, but it makes such a huge difference and makes the first few floors a breeze

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ghost Head posted:

Yeah, no offense but you're just wrong here.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

redreader posted:

I'm new to this game. How do I unlock things? I've unlocked a couple of things (all bosses I think) and got to the fourth or fifth stage a couple of times. Is stuff only really unlocked by finishing the game or something?

1) Play game, unlock things.

2) Beat Mom's Heart, Satan, The Lamb, Isaac, Blue Baby, Boss Rush with all characters, each one has their own unlock.

3) Beat Mom's Heart multiple times to unlock later levels.

4) Challenges. Suffer through Do challenges to unlock items. Some are more fun than others (start with Slow Roll/Computer Savvy if you have them for an easy time)

5) DON'T play seeded runs. Seeded runs turn off all achievements and unlocks. As do challenges, with the exception that beating the challenge gives you an unlock.

6) Go back to one, just have fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best weapon! :pcgaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LILBPhO-0Q

The worst weapon. :frog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9GjfIN9pc

Missing No. is a hell of a drug.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of explosions, does Pyromaniac heal you when you blow yourself up as well?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

1) Play game, unlock things.

2) Beat Mom's Heart, Satan, The Lamb, Isaac, Blue Baby, Boss Rush with all characters, each one has their own unlock.

3) Beat Mom's Heart multiple times to unlock later levels.

4) Challenges. Suffer through Do challenges to unlock items. Some are more fun than others (start with Slow Roll/Computer Savvy if you have them for an easy time)

5) DON'T play seeded runs. Seeded runs turn off all achievements and unlocks. As do challenges, with the exception that beating the challenge gives you an unlock.

6) Go back to one, just have fun.

Thanks. Hopefully it's like Risk of Rain in that it starts off impossible and gets easier with time/unlocks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

redreader posted:

Thanks. Hopefully it's like Risk of Rain in that it starts off impossible and gets easier with time/unlocks.

Unlike Risk of Rain the endgame is actually pretty hard. And there's also the character that has enforced no hit runs required to unlock things.

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
As far as the story goes: I get the impression that Isaac either through paranoid delusions or just as a game decides his mom is out to kill him. He doesn't escape down some magical trapdoor, but instead hides/locks himself in his toy chest and sufforcates. Which unfortunately has killed kids in the past. The last two endings really kind of cemented this theory for me.

Thoughts?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

redreader posted:

Another good challenge (not ballbustingly hard) is #17 (forgot name) It's not a no-attack challenge and it unlocks Death's Scythe.

Do you want your little abused babies to shoot spinning scythe blades from their eyeballs? Because I think you want your little babies to shoot spinning scythes from their eyeballs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jibo posted:

The eyes are from whatever the hell that item is called that gives you big tears that shrink over distance.

Proptosis.

Can someone explain to me how people were supposed to discover the lost legitimately? because from the bits and pieces I've heard it sounds far too obtuse. Is there some sort of jingle when you die in a correct way?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I dunno. I picked it up and it didn't seem to kill anything much faster. Are people sure it's not a damage multiplier? That might explain why it wasn't working very well

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Big Lebowski posted:

As far as the story goes: I get the impression that Isaac either through paranoid delusions or just as a game decides his mom is out to kill him. He doesn't escape down some magical trapdoor, but instead hides/locks himself in his toy chest and sufforcates. Which unfortunately has killed kids in the past. The last two endings really kind of cemented this theory for me.

Thoughts?

I pretty much took the story at face value. The intro solidifies that it's a parody of the actual binding of Isaac bible story but without the part where god says "lol never mind". In the actual story, Abraham cuts Isaac free and instead God lets him sacrifice a ram or a goat or something for proving his loyalty. The first ending, where Mom gets smacked with the Bible and dies, finishes out the parody of the real story, but the one where Isaac climbs in the chest and suffocates is the one I'm guessing is supposed to be the "real" ending.

I don't know if the whole polaroid story stuff from the original is in this one, I'm not that far in yet, but there was allegedly more to it than that speculation-wise.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Big Lebowski posted:

Thoughts?

I've never thought about the story before, or think that it really deserves spoiler tags, but I guess I'd have to say that the game gives you no reason to believe Isaac's making up his mom trying to kill him. He hides in the chest, can't get out, dies. Game over, Isaac, do not pass go. I haven't seen every ending though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Holy poo poo, Ipecac is actually good in this game!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ariong posted:

Proptosis.

Can someone explain to me how people were supposed to discover the lost legitimately? because from the bits and pieces I've heard it sounds far too obtuse. Is there some sort of jingle when you die in a correct way?

By dying under circumstances hinted at by ending cutscene(s?) you can get pieces of a puzzle, combined they show 4 death screens. These are the deaths which must be done to unlock The Lost.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

GeneX posted:

Holy poo poo, Ipecac is actually good in this game!

until you get tiny planet with it... rip

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gently caress this room and gently caress the poo poo for brains that designed it right up the rear end with a splintery old board.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

gently caress this room and gently caress the poo poo for brains that designed it right up the rear end with a splintery old board.

You just have to take your time with it and watch what sides the spike cubes are on, it's not that hard

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

You just have to take your time with it and watch what sides the spike cubes are on, it's not that hard

Note the one that spawned right on top of me. That's not the only door where that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

There are no spikes in the first couple of seconds to prevent that from hurting you though?