Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Argentic posted:

Funny you should say that, meet Carson@dpro79:

Mixed damage types, mixed beams/turrets, low-level items, a Biofunction Monitor and two EPS Flow Regulators.

I saw this guy in a Mirror Invasion, which means that somehow he managed to make it to level 50 while doing this kind of poo poo.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about my gear anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah you could fit a ship with matching mk xi uncommons for like 100k and easily outperform that POS.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Tunicate posted:

Could be a doff-leveled alt farming mirror events.

Hell, I have a T2 ship doing those.

That was my thought too, but at least pubbies know what's going on when the IKS Contraband shows up in the queue.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
I brought my Klink carrier alt into one today with totally newb setup on it. It was the most painful what seemed like half hour of my day. I couldn't kill stuff fast enough and no one was closing rifts. I think the station was brought down three times.

Course then I made another bad decision and did bug hunt nearly flawlessly with pubs.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Can anyone explain this? All of my pets have it, space and ground.

No one else seems to have this.

Edit: This only appears to happen on ground, in space all of them revert to the normal "useless" mode.

Goat Pillager fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Goat Pillager posted:

Can anyone explain this? All of my pets have it, space and ground.

No one else seems to have this.

Rather than only applying certain trait bonuses to relevant skills, they're being applied to literally everything. For example, my Emergency Power to Engines is ignoring 5% of my enemy's shields. Cryptic strikes again.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on upgrading equipment? What to focus on, what to avoid, etc?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unless you're space rich don't bother trying to do quality upgrades unless you want to spend 100,000+ dilithium and tens of millions of credits per weapon; mark upgrades have no random element and are generally about as expensive as buying a new item of the type once all the costs are factored in. Use superior or superior experimental upgrade items since you'll spend like twice as much dilithium if you don't. Weapons have a pretty dramatic boost from mark upgrades but are really expensive to upgrade, but consoles are cheap and there's no real reason not to get stuff you'd use on every ship (appropriate spire tac consoles, borg console, etc) to Mk XIV first.

Also the system is designed to obfuscate the actual total costs because PWE is a horrible company who wants to run the game into the ground.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

You need crafting levelled to 15 to make the superior upgrades, they're also on the exchange but they've still got a pretty hefty markup. There's folks in the channel who can craft the poo poo for you if you gather the materials though.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I've just decided to come back to this, I have a level 50 romulan guy with some awful gear. What should I be grinding to get better stuff? I think when I left I was doing player made missions that just spawned a lot of ships that dropped loot. Anything better than this?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Laterbase posted:

I've just decided to come back to this, I have a level 50 romulan guy with some awful gear. What should I be grinding to get better stuff? I think when I left I was doing player made missions that just spawned a lot of ships that dropped loot. Anything better than this?

Off the top of my head: Pieces of the Jem'Hadar Armored Shroud and Jem'Hadar Space Set are easy to get from the Cardassian missions and make for okay PvE gear. Spheres of Influence can get you an omnidirectional AP beam that's useful on basically any ship and AP beam banks after that. The mirror universe invasion event right now can get you whatever marks, pick Delta or Omega for a couple days and you'll have plenty to get a bunch of Mk XII ground weapons.

The specifics of what gear you'll want depend on tac/sci/eng, but a quick rule of thumb for easy to assemble space gear is to stick to a single damage type (antiproton is best for pure DPS but the others all have proc effects), fill your Tac consoles with boosts of that damage type, split your Eng consoles between Neutronium (general-purpose damage resist) and RCS Accelerators (faster turn rate), and fill your sci consoles with Emitter Arrays (boosts your Shield Emitters skill rating). You probably have a pile of energy credits (and if you don't running some level 50 missions will get you one) so you should be able to buy a full or near-full set of stuff off the energy credits exchange and then piecemeal replace things with better consoles/weapons.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Laterbase posted:

There's a load of stuff on the wiki for fresh 50s, but for a few basics:

Solanae space set obtained by running this mission three times.
Obelisk core (also an 360 AP beam if you're using AP) from this mission.

Oh, and rob the fleet banks.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Jem'hadar ground set is handy as it has a decent self heal + damage res buff. If you have the tolerance for it you can get three free sets at MKXI and that'll be more than enough to kit you out for farming the Voth battlezone for dil. By doing all the dailies and hitting all three t-rexes you can net almost 8000 dil in half an hour with the new increased ground rewards.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Korgan posted:

Rather than only applying certain trait bonuses to relevant skills, they're being applied to literally everything. For example, my Emergency Power to Engines is ignoring 5% of my enemy's shields. Cryptic strikes again.

:smug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Does it stack? :haw:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
That would be hilarious. :cryptic:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Asimo posted:

Unless you're space rich don't bother trying to do quality upgrades unless you want to spend 100,000+ dilithium and tens of millions of credits per weapon

Per weapon? That is insanity.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Trast posted:

Good news, unless you hate yourself enough to run Elites, it's not really necessary. Besides, no one else is running them either, so you won't find people to run them with anyway! :cryptic:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Provided you can craft a bunch of superior upgrades, just improving mark grade seems reasonable. Improving quality appears to be a huge sink.

Speaking of, dil prices seem the lowest I've seen since I started. When I took a break back in early September I recall them sitting at a high 160s. Are all these sinks in place bringing down dil to zen prices?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Trast posted:

Yep! And potentially double that for reputation set items since they're the most expensive items to upgrade. Oh, and when you upgrade a weapon from VR to UR, it gets a random additional mod. I'll let you imagine how much it would cost to get a full ship to all [CrtD]x4 or [Acc]x4.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Good news, unless you hate yourself enough to run Elites, it's not really necessary. Besides, no one else is running them either, so you won't find people to run them with anyway! :cryptic:

Berke Negri posted:

Provided you can craft a bunch of superior upgrades, just improving mark grade seems reasonable. Improving quality appears to be a huge sink.
Yeah. As long as you go into it with the idea that Mk XIV alone is plenty and any quality upgrades you randomly proc in the process are just a nice bonus then the system isn't... too bad. A load of dilithium and credits, but manageable. Gambling for quality upgrades is pretty much a giant trap for the cash shop whales.

g0del posted:

Yep! And potentially double that for reputation set items since they're the most expensive items to upgrade. Oh, and when you upgrade a weapon from VR to UR, it gets a random additional mod. I'll let you imagine how much it would cost to get a full ship to all [CrtD]x4 or [Acc]x4.
Emphasis on "random".

Luckily set items and unique items don't have the mod randomly picked.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

g0del posted:

I don't have to imagine :negative:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

How much didyou spend on that anyway?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Mondian's index finger has been worn down to a small nub from all the clicking required to upgrade everything to epic.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

You used to be able to get cheap quality upgrades by starting at mk ii, they seem to have patched that out though. I just tried a batch and didn't get a single quality upgrade.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You just got unlucky really? Unless they actually did change it (and I wouldn't put it past them), all you need is a MkII rare with the mods you want, a superior experimental kit, and preferably one of those double upgrade chance consumable things. 20% chance to hit UR per rank and one kit should get you to Mk VII I think? With 10% chance for gold after that. Far far cheaper than trying to gamble for rarity on MkXIV's and less of a sunk cost if you do get DMG or something.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I did like 9 of them with the experimental kits and got no upgrades so unless I just had an extremely bad run something is hosed. My money is on something is hosed.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
New blog up, hints at the Elachi so maybe there will be new fungus stuff coming soon!

\/ Beautiful.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 13, 2014

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm guessing that it actually being a dude is a feature, not a bug.

Though I doubt your average STO ERPists fits neatly on a Kinsey scale.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

How much didyou spend on that anyway?

About 500m buying the [CrtD]x4 stuff to start with, then around three billion ec worth of upgrades/accelerators and about three million dilithium.

The worst part about it is that surgical strikes is STILL loving broken, so I still can't see those enormous crits I was looking forward to.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 13, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be fixed as swiftly as the engineering crafting trait was! :downs: And huh, that's more credits and less dilithium than I expected. Go figure.

Also I guess there's a new mission that was cut for time in order to get the expansion out epilogue to delta rising's plotline coming out tomorrow since there's nothing else interesting going on in the MMO world I guess. :geno:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
In 20 hours I will have rep 5 with everyone except the new delta alliance. Is there a list of items (ground or space) that are actually good?

I already have the Romulan torp, experimental beam and zero-point console as well as the cutting beam and assimilated console. I haven't bothered with any ground stuff yet.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Listening to Xean's advice turned that man into Christopher Lambert?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Haerc posted:

In 20 hours I will have rep 5 with everyone except the new delta alliance. Is there a list of items (ground or space) that are actually good?

I already have the Romulan torp, experimental beam and zero-point console as well as the cutting beam and assimilated console. I haven't bothered with any ground stuff yet.

Dyson ground set is fantastic, nukara universal console is great if you're a beamboat, Dyson space shield is a fantastic cheap alternative to a Fleet shield if you don't have the credits.

And if you're plasma based of course then the generic Romulan Plasma weapons from the Rommie rep are top plasma gear.

Borg assimilated engine/deflector pair is great, gives you a wonderful two-piece bonus.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Corrosive plasma is flat out better than romulan plasma, but obviously a little more expensive ECwise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

-Troika- posted:

Corrosive plasma is flat out better than romulan plasma, but obviously a little more expensive ECwise.

Oh, drat, I might have to replace my Romulan Plasma gear.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What's Corrosive Plasma?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

From the delta lock box. Like plasma, but with a bit less DoT damage but with a damage resistance debuff on it that scales up over the duration.

It's pretty much straight superior to normal plasma/romplas, but those two have their own upsides (account bound for normal plasma so you only have to upgrade once, easy access from a rep store for romplas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So it's Romulan Plasma with added scaling on the Disruptor proc.

• Locked thread