Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Re: more about the story of the game (deeper than just "it's a parody of the actual bible story" anyway), Edmund also talked about it a little in an interview about the original game back when it first started getting real popular:

quote:

EM: The game's story was inspired heavily from a story in the bible called the Binding of Isaac, where God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac to Him to prove his devotion. The biblical influence came from my obsession with Christian propaganda films of the '80s — when there was a lot of panic within the Christian Right about the satanic influence within things like music, movies, and especially role-playing games like DnD [Dungeons and Dragons--Ed.]. Also, anything viewed as pagan.

A lot of these propaganda videos revolved around fictional satanic cults that ritualistically abused and sacrificed children to gain demonic powers (there has never been a government documented case of any of this, by the way). This bizarre fascination these films had with child abuse and satanic cults pushed me towards biblical stories that mirrored what they were saying, and it all kind of came through in the game's story and overall theme.

My wife had also recently been reading weird cases of captive women birthing and tending to their children in basements their whole lives…it all kind of bled together.

It sounds serious and dark, but the game isn’t a serious game at all — it's pretty light compared to the content I’ve mentioned.

He also also said that this 3-page article:

http://www.twinfinite.net/2012/10/01/big-sloppy-slomper-chompers/

was one of the most accurate analyses of the game's meaning that he'd seen, so take that as you will. These are both for the original game but I'm assuming they apply to Rebirth as well because it's, y'know, mostly the same game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ariong posted:

Can someone explain to me how people were supposed to discover the lost legitimately? because from the bits and pieces I've heard it sounds far too obtuse. Is there some sort of jingle when you die in a correct way?

It was actually only a day or two away from being figured out legitimately. Someone noticed that when you kill yourself in a sacrifice room holding the missing poster trinket, the game gives you a puzzle piece(as in, a literal piece of a jigsaw puzzle). People started collecting all the puzzle pieces and noticed that they had 4 symbols on them, to signify 4 different puzzles. All the puzzle pieces were of the death screen, so when all of them were eventually collected they would show 4 death screens. Replicating the deaths depicted in said screens is how you unlock the Lost.

The datamining skipped the "collect every puzzle piece" portion of the scavenger hunt by just looking at code and seeing what the correct death markers were. But it would've been figured out by now already anyway so while I feel bad for Edmund and anyone who was involved in making that puzzle, it really wasn't that difficult to figure out. That's kind of just how it is when you give The Internet a challenge, unless you just go completely nuts with it like Phil Fish did with Fez and do poo poo like invent your own encryption/alphabet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Read posted:

There are no spikes in the first couple of seconds to prevent that from hurting you though?

Yeah, but you'll get hit by one of the others pretty easily if you don't dodge it exactly right in that short window. It's pushing you toward the one below.

On an unrelated note:

Eve's Mascara is pretty loving brutal :stwoon:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
IG6Y
YPCF

Not quite 3 guppy items in the first curse room like my last overpowered seed, but I found all 5 guppy items over the run. You will become guppy. Now all I need is a run like this but with hive mind which makes flies even more absurd.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 12, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
jesus christ

i'm amazed that run made it to sheol, let alone the loving dark room. only got hit once the entire time and that was in the boss rush cause of the loving bloat. guppy's collar saved my butt from that though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is the Dead Cat bug fixed, because if so then :stare:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I got Fire Mind + Monstro's Lung on my last run and I didn't realize if one shot explodes they all do.

I thought my run was over until I went to the item room on the next floor and found Pyromaniac.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

yeah, that run was done post bug fix.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rorus Raz posted:

it is. it's a shame that so many people filled out the runs using the bug, though, because winning legit with the lost is definitely a feat.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Sanctum posted:

IG6Y
YPCF

Not quite 3 guppy items in the first curse room like my last overpowered seed, but I found all 5 guppy items over the run. You will become guppy. Now all I need is a run like this but with hive mind which makes flies even more absurd.

Spoiler tag you killing final bosses at least, please. I've been trying to avoid seeing endboss stuff. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you can legitimately beat the secret-area-bosses of this game on hardmode as The Lost, I have genuine respect for your skill at it because dodging bullets and exploding enemies is way hard, even if you have shielded tears.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does Mom's knife overwrite your attack upgrade the same way technology does? I had a really good Brimstone run that almost got ruined when I picked Technology by mistake, so I'm just avoiding the knife for now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm curious - how far are most people here along in achievements? I've been loving around but hit 50% after knocking out the Guppy challenge and the Total Darkness Eve challenge tonight.

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I pretty much took the story at face value.

I might be over thinking it, but I thought the binding of Isaac parody was Isaac's delusion or game he made up out of boredom while locked in his room depending on whether he's crazy or just being a kid.

The first 10 or so endings are all him opening the chest and maiming or killing himself with its contents culminating with finding ???? (dead Isaac?) inside.

The dark room ending shows his mom searching for him and the last ending shows him hyperventilating and hallucinating while locked inside the chest with a possibly dead Guppy.

I don't really see how the Polaroid ending fits in with this one way or another though.

I'm just trying to see how it all fits together, not that it's important. The game isn't really story driven anyway.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

jesus christ

i'm amazed that run made it to sheol, let alone the loving dark room. only got hit once the entire time and that was in the boss rush cause of the loving bloat. guppy's collar saved my butt from that though.

Jesus dude. Are you the world's greatest player or what?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Elman posted:

Does Mom's knife overwrite your attack upgrade the same way technology does? I had a really good Brimstone run that almost got ruined when I picked Technology by mistake, so I'm just avoiding the knife for now.
Yes mom's knife becomes your attack when you pick it up. I believe it simply overrides anything else you have so it would take over if you, for example, had Brimstone then picked it up, but don't quote me on that.

Also you should pick up the knife and learn how to use it, it's probably the most powerful weapon on the game besides Brimstone. It's pretty easy to get enough damage upgrades in a run to one or two-shot your way through every boss. It can also be used as a melee weapon so if you get something like the Holy Mantle or book of shadows then you can clear a room by just smashing into things before your invincibility wears out.

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm curious - how far are most people here along in achievements? I've been loving around but hit 50% after knocking out the Guppy challenge and the Total Darkness Eve challenge tonight.
I got 100% tonight when the newest patch hit that fixed the last two achievements but I had all of last week off basically and am a crazy person. Looking at my friend's list it seems like people are around anywhere between 20-50% done depending on how long they've been playing, ranging from a couple of hours to 40 or 50 hours. With the way achievements are unlocked, most of them could take quite a while if you're just playing normally or messing around and not systematically checking them off one-by-one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VDay posted:

I got 100% tonight when the newest patch hit that fixed the last two achievements but I had all of last week off basically and am a crazy person. Looking at my friend's list it seems like people are around anywhere between 20-50% done depending on how long they've been playing, ranging from a couple of hours to 40 or 50 hours. With the way achievements are unlocked, most of them could take quite a while if you're just playing normally or messing around and not systematically checking them off one-by-one.

That sounds about right. I'm at 49% myself and I'm neither a huge Isaac fan, nor am I really good. But I have been using goon advice to do a mixture of checking off achievements and having fun.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRoiE8CD-4 just happened.

I hate Maggie, she's slow as a turtle and just always seems to find +HP rather than +Dmg items. But I got Daddy Long Legs in the first treasure room and figured that would be sufficient backup damage. Tiny Planet was, as I recall, the second Treasure Room and I said 'gently caress it ok zany run'. I found Cursed Eye along the way and it made sense, then when Wiggle Worm showed up in that Cathedral secret room I just had to do it. What a loving bonkers playthrough. I can't imagine what else I could have stacked to make those tears any less controllable.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

VDay posted:

How many hours was that?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm at 61%, mainly because I'm just not very good at the game :). I've done everything with Isaac (with the D6, natch), but I haven't beaten Dark Room or Chest with anyone else - I can only win for sure when I have an absurdly broken set of items.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cuntpunch posted:

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRoiE8CD-4 just happened.

I hate Maggie, she's slow as a turtle and just always seems to find +HP rather than +Dmg items. But I got Daddy Long Legs in the first treasure room and figured that would be sufficient backup damage. Tiny Planet was, as I recall, the second Treasure Room and I said 'gently caress it ok zany run'. I found Cursed Eye along the way and it made sense, then when Wiggle Worm showed up in that Cathedral secret room I just had to do it. What a loving bonkers playthrough. I can't imagine what else I could have stacked to make those tears any less controllable.

Now try getting the round worm during the Head Trauma challenge.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

The Big Lebowski posted:

The dark room ending shows his mom searching for him and the last ending shows him hyperventilating and hallucinating while locked inside the chest with a possibly dead Guppy.

Schrodinger's Guppy

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Here are the achievement stats for rebirth.

So far,

70% beat mom
57% beat mom's heart
19% unlocked it lives
5.7% got the polaroid
3% have golden god
0.1% have plat god (for comparason, the original binding of isaac has about 2.5% plat god)

The 'average' player on steam has beat mom's heart twice, unlocked everybody but sampson and the lost, and donated 30-40 cents to the shop.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
alright. so. how does one access mutiplayer babies?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cuntpunch posted:

I can't imagine what else I could have stacked to make those tears any less controllable.

Anti-gravity.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

VDay posted:

Yes mom's knife becomes your attack when you pick it up. I believe it simply overrides anything else you have so it would take over if you, for example, had Brimstone then picked it up, but don't quote me on that.

Gonna quote you on that.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

AHungryRobot posted:

jesus christ

Christ, that's pretty impressive. I filled in the runs using the Dead Cat bug prior to it being patched but somehow I'm surprised someone's already done all that poo poo legit.

Got any...advice for The Lost, I guess? If I ever attempted to do The Lost legit, I think I'd just re-roll the first room constantly until I got like Holy Mantle or something.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Motherfucker posted:

alright. so. how does one access mutiplayer babies?

Press start/enter in the second controller. You unlock extra babies by playing on hard.

The Lost could be pretty easy with Daddy Long Legs + Tanuki.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wow, if you have the Gnawed Leaf you can just stand still and bosses will kill themselves on you. You're invincible but they take contact damage, which I'd realized that before Satan because it was literally the first item I found in an item room on the first floor. Oh well, Satan stood on me until he died so that's cool. I thought it was gonna take a while because I figured the explosions would have to kill him for me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

tinaun posted:

Here are the achievement stats for rebirth.

So far,

70% beat mom
57% beat mom's heart
19% unlocked it lives
5.7% got the polaroid
3% have golden god
0.1% have plat god (for comparason, the original binding of isaac has about 2.5% plat god)

The 'average' player on steam has beat mom's heart twice, unlocked everybody but sampson and the lost, and donated 30-40 cents to the shop.

That's pretty impressive considering if you look at a typical game's achievements it seems like only 60% of players even press "New Game".

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I just started 2 days ago and I've got 14 Heart/It Lives! kills, 1 Sheol clear, 200 items and 82/178 achieves on 25 deaths.

However, I also put a load of time into the original(Plat God) so this was less of a learning curve for me. Once I got the new items, enemies, and mechanics down I've been flying through stuff with little issue.

The learning curve is steep but once you conquer it and start learning item synergy you can own this game on just about any run.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 12, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there a tell I'm missing for when Mega Fatty is going to jump and immediately land like the frame the jump animation finishes?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 31, 2022

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

dis astranagant posted:

Is there a tell I'm missing for when Mega Fatty is going to jump and immediately land like the frame the jump animation finishes?

Him and the regular instant jump enemies (hell, ALL jumping enemies really) I just make sure I'm moving around a lot whenever there's a possibility they might jump. I rarely stand still when I play anyway though, the ability to dodge at a moment's notice and being able to properly "throw" shots is so vital that you can never get enough practice.

Has anyone managed to combo monstro's lung with tiny planet? Is it possible and if so, how ridiculous is it? I haven't unlocked the lung yet, only got it one time through a reroll room where it also randomly got a new tear effect every room, which was insane. One minute you're barfing gigantic homing balls of fire, the next you're filling the room with giant death scythes that just shred everything everywhere. poo poo was CASH and I wish I'd remembered to save the seed.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 12, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I just started 2 days ago and I've got 14 Heart/It Lives! kills, 1 Sheol clear, 200 items and 82/178 achieves on 25 deaths.

However, I also put a load of time into the original(Plat God) so this was less of a learning curve for me. Once I got the new items, enemies, and mechanics down I've been flying through stuff with little issue.

The learning curve is steep but once you conquer it and start learning item synergy you can own this game on just about any run.

I didn't play the original but I'm on 31 deaths, five Sheol clears, two Isaac kills, 18 mom kills, 233 items, and 42% on trophy completion. I find that a lot of how well you do is down to luck, enough that you don't really need to be super familiar with the game to do well. It also gives you some really nice starting options with a character like Azazel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Big Lebowski posted:

I don't really see how the Polaroid ending fits in with this one way or another though.
I think the Polaroid ending is sortof separate from the rest. All the others tell us the story of how Isaac is a horribly abused and neglected child who retreated into his own fantasies (whose mother may or may not be trying to kill him), but the Chest one gives us a bit of background information about their motivations. I'm not really sold on the rest of it, but I think most of the numbered points on the left of this image seem pretty plausible:
http://i.imgur.com/Ucwvi.jpg
Personally I think it makes more sense if Isaac's mom isn't trying to kill him (although she's clearly horribly abusive, so it's possible she threatened him with the knife). The opening scene could be part of the imaginary story Isaac is revealed to have been creating in the epilogue, and it fits into the theme of him being convinced that he's a terrible sinner who deserves to die.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dis astranagant posted:

If he moves, you best be moving. I had trouble with him until I started moving away as soon as he starts his animation. Fortunately his other attacks allow you to 'flinch' like that without punishment.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Christ, that's pretty impressive. I filled in the runs using the Dead Cat bug prior to it being patched but somehow I'm surprised someone's already done all that poo poo legit.

Got any...advice for The Lost, I guess? If I ever attempted to do The Lost legit, I think I'd just re-roll the first room constantly until I got like Holy Mantle or something.

well, i kept restarting until i got a decent item from the first item room. also i don't explore more than i have to. basically i just find the item and boss rooms and i'm out of there. maybe the shop or a secret room if it's on the way. holy mantle helps, and the dead cat is really good too. i didn't have the holy mantle on my successful run though so it's not strictly necessary.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

If he moves, you best be moving. I had trouble with him until I started moving away as soon as he starts his animation. Fortunately his other attacks allow you to 'flinch' like that without punishment.

Sometimes he lands before I can even get my stick out of the deadzone, especially if I haven't had much luck with offensive items and get impatient with his piles of hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Sometimes he lands before I can even get my stick out of the deadzone, especially if I haven't had much luck with offensive items and get impatient with his piles of hp.

I know I'm pretty bad at video games, but whenever that happens it bothers me to no end