Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Updated flash deals at GOG include Jade Empire for $3, Rise of the Triad for $3, and Botanicula for $2.

Mutation posted:

edit: so you're going to bone the villain's sister again in another far cry game, huh.
Maybe they can come up with a better ending this time though!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Darkhold posted:

Is the story worth paying attention to? I've only been able to play it inbetween toddler meltdowns so I've been skipping past the cut scenes so I get a chance to play the actual missions.

The story is actually quite good. I highly recommend watching the cut scenes. You can come back and play them after the mission. Wrll, the non-mission stuff.

Also, the game is excellent, DLCs are included, and the port is great. English VA is also good. In short, considering the price, this game is a no brainer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tezzeract posted:

Far Cry 4 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1gWM-YEQk

Looks like we'll have a Hindi Mad Moxxi.
Looks like Far Cry 3.5. Except for the graphics which actually seem worse? Maybe it's because of this being the console version. I hope.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

This looks like a blast to play, but I am completely lost on the tone here.

Maybe FarCry 3 wasn't a mistake.

Ubisoft employs some really terrible writers. I wish they'd just go full Bethesda with their sandbox games and limit the story.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Ubisoft employs some really terrible writers. I wish they'd just go full Bethesda with their sandbox games and limit the story.

If the previous game is any indication, and it drat well should be, given that this is basically the same game with a new island, you'll have to do about four main missions before you can go off and forget about the dumb bullshit for twenty hours.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Ugh, no thanks. I'd rather have a ridiculous trainwreck than a bunch of snoozefest delivery jobs.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Valkyria question: how much does distance affect accuracy? All the targeting shows is how many shots to kill but there doesn't seem to be a percentage. Like, do I get any benefit from running up to guys and point-blank shooting them in the head, or would it be the same chance farther away? Sandbags being magic 360 shields has made me question all aspects of the game and whether they resemble reality.

Also, what do the different colored sight-lines mean? Like, swiveling around it will go from yellow (which seems like clear both ways) to blue and green (???)

Distance does have effect and is also dependent not trooper class, weapon and accuracy. Shooting somebody point blank as shock trooper is almost always advisable. Grenades work wonders though, don't forget about them. Oh, and flamethrowers.

Snipers are different. You can shoot very far in late game. Ammo is limited though but engineers can replenish it

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

FuzzySlippers posted:

The new one seems to be more of a Just Cause 2 tone? I mean the main antagonist is basically

So expect a lot of party drugs and bad karaoke.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

What would that even mean with Ubisoft sandbox games? Instead of a 200 boring collectibles you get 400 boring collectibles but no story?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

Looks like Far Cry 3.5.
I'm trying to make Far Cry: Brotherhood happen. (I actually liked Brotherhood a lot)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I'm trying to make Far Cry: Brotherhood happen. (I actually liked Brotherhood a lot)

I feel like that'll have some weird implications when it turns out Pagan Min is your actual father and the rebel leader(s) are your sister/brother. Or something. It'll be dumb.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I'm not about to say FarCry 3's story wasn't dumb as poo poo, but it was dumb in a funny way and set up some excellent setpieces and I'd rather have that than Oblivion or Fallout 3's story.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Zombie Samurai posted:

Ugh, no thanks. I'd rather have a ridiculous trainwreck than a bunch of snoozefest delivery jobs.

Seriously. I barely touched most of the side stuff like the supply run missions and poker and knife throwing and hunting poo poo beyond what was needed for upgrades--basically anything that wasn't outposts, assassinations and radio towers. Give me more inventively-designed outposts with more types of enemies and more ways to gently caress with them and I'll be happy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tezzeract posted:

The new one seems to be more of a Just Cause 2 tone? I mean the main antagonist is basically

Far Cry 3 looked flashy too but it didn't help the terrible story. They basically come up with super cool villains that are full of character and Just Cause vibe but pit them against super bland dumb protagonists that take themselves way too seriously for the ridiculous situation they find themselves in.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Tezzeract posted:

If you told me that was King of Fighters artwork I'd believe you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

They basically come up with super cool villains that are full of character... bland dumb protagonists that take themselves way too seriously for the ridiculous situation they find themselves in.
I can't find a way to parse the plurals here in a way that makes sense.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Mutation posted:

If you told me that was King of Fighters artwork I'd believe you.
Alpha Protocol was a hell of a game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Alpha Protocol was a hell of a game.
The Spy Who Set me on Fire, the Game.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jeffrey Yohalem is not writing Far Cry 4, so it won't be offensively stupid.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The new guy could be bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phetz posted:

Bad, sure. Buttfuck retarded, no way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phetz posted:

Pretty much. I mean, whoever it is, they chose to write for games, and not absolutely anything else that might have a shred of respect, dignity, style, quality, or effort attached to it.

Selane
May 19, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Valkyria question: how much does distance affect accuracy? All the targeting shows is how many shots to kill but there doesn't seem to be a percentage. Like, do I get any benefit from running up to guys and point-blank shooting them in the head, or would it be the same chance farther away? Sandbags being magic 360 shields has made me question all aspects of the game and whether they resemble reality.

Also, what do the different colored sight-lines mean? Like, swiveling around it will go from yellow (which seems like clear both ways) to blue and green (???)

Basically the difference that distance makes is in aiming. When you unload on someone, the bullets are randomly distributed within the reticle(and the size of the reticle depends on weapon type/weapon accuracy/character accuracy). Therefore, the closer you get to someone the larger they will appear, and the better the chances of having a reticle full of meatbag instead of a reticle mostly full of empty space. So yes, the benefit of running up to someone and shooting them in the head is that you will be highly unlikely to miss their head in the first place. It doesn't factor into damage but it factors greatly into bullets hitting the actual target.

As for sightlines:

Blue: dude doesn't see you
Yellow: dude sees you but is too far to intercept(or counter)
Red: dude is unloading on you as we speak
Green: dude is shooting at you but currently reloading

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty much. I mean, whoever it is, they chose to write for games, and not absolutely anything else that might have a shred of respect, dignity, style, quality, or effort attached to it.
If someone's writing for a videogame it's probably because they couldn't get work writing for TV

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
X-3 Reunion:
27AVG-ZNQ3L-JDVFF

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

If someone's writing for a videogame it's probably because they couldn't get work writing for TV

This, or they got tired of shilling on a review site and knew the right people.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
e: nvm

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sad, but true. At least there have been some recent games that are least slowly starting to go somewhere on that front.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Yes. Also while it has anime crap ( I JUST WANT THE WAR TO ENNNNND ), it's also hard to take seriously, and doesn't really pander that much. It's also hard to get that annoyed at the anime when a few seconds ago your soldiers were accusing you of being a "Darcsen Lover" ( aka the Jews of Valkyria Chronicles ), and how that means you can't really be trusted as their leader. Or the concentration camp level. Or the fact like half your soldiers are ripped straight out of Band of Brothers, and the other half are tank fetishists/that oddball japanese written character that subverts it's animeness to be somewhat hilarious.

It's weird, for all the standard stuff in it, there are a lot of things I was surprised by the first time I played it. Like Isara being a female character that is intelligent and capable? In a jrpg? Also there are three gay characters...and only one is a walking stereotype! A lot of the 'minor' character stuff is actually really entertaining.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also Tom Servo is your sidekick.

holy poo poo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Selane posted:

Basically the difference that distance makes is in aiming. When you unload on someone, the bullets are randomly distributed within the reticle(and the size of the reticle depends on weapon type/weapon accuracy/character accuracy). Therefore, the closer you get to someone the larger they will appear, and the better the chances of having a reticle full of meatbag instead of a reticle mostly full of empty space. So yes, the benefit of running up to someone and shooting them in the head is that you will be highly unlikely to miss their head in the first place. It doesn't factor into damage but it factors greatly into bullets hitting the actual target.

As for sightlines:

Blue: dude doesn't see you
Yellow: dude sees you but is too far to intercept(or counter)
Red: dude is unloading on you as we speak
Green: dude is shooting at you but currently reloading
It's been a few years since I played VC1, but I believe distance does matter in that if you are outside of your weapon/class's nominal range you will do jack poo poo for damage. Take a few steps and all of a sudden 30 hits to kill turns into 5 hits to kill. However having more of your target inside the reticule itself by getting even closing will of course mean fewer missed bullets.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

It's been a few years since I played VC1, but I believe distance does matter in that if you are outside of your weapon/class's nominal range you will do jack poo poo for damage. Take a few steps and all of a sudden 30 hits to kill turns into 5 hits to kill. However having more of your target inside the reticule itself by getting even closing will of course mean fewer missed bullets.

Headshots all the time.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah, I think it might work the reverse way. There's no damage bonus for getting close, just an aim bonus. But yeah, if you're really far you will start doing like 1hp per hit.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mutation posted:

What about a Batman game that features Kevin Smith and Conan O' Brien? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OnAS92t57M

edit: so you're going to bone the villain's sister again in another far cry game, huh.

My wallet just got sucked into the screen what the gently caress man

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The exception to the "can't find writing doing something else" is Valve ironically enough. Marc Laidlaw is a fantastic sci-fi/horror novelist.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Lookin forward to the VC posts when people start getting to the megatank mission with the insta kill laser lady.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can't believe how quickly I went from,"Hey this looks kind of interesting" to "oh God this looks awful :gonk:" as I did watching the trailer for Randal's Monday.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Tezzeract posted:

Is this a young Yamazaki Ryuji?! :swoon:

(Edit: I know it isn't but I just want to knife all of Far Cry 4 as a east asian gangster. Let me believe)

Morter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Morter posted:

Is this a young Yamazaki Ryuji?! :swoon:

No, it's a Russian cokehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's Russian Tony Montana.