Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

xml is much better than json.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

although i dont know why you'd even care, you're just calling out to your language's stdlib's ser/des arent you

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Bloody posted:

although i dont know why you'd even care, you're just calling out to your language's stdlib's ser/des arent you

there's a big gray area between data and config that often needs to be human-readable, so visual noise matters

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
if you gotta edit it by hand json is better. otherwise it literally doesn't matter cause you're just doing json_decode($butt) or new SimpleXMLElement($butt)

e: obv you should strive to never edit it by hand

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you need human-editable objects you should embrace a gui

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

bloody it must be really nice for you to live in a perfect world where you and everyone you do business with embraces best practices and you never have to do anything ugly like look at/edit a request to some lovely api by hand to see what's loving up

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Bloody posted:

if you need human-editable objects you should embrace a gui

god forbid that we interact with text via tools designed for interacting with text

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Tiny Bug Child posted:

bloody it must be really nice for you to live in a perfect world where you and everyone you do business with embraces best practices and you never have to do anything ugly like look at/edit a request to some lovely api by hand to see what's loving up

it is really nice :unsmith:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the secret is that i am the only person who writes software in a sea of electrical and mechanical engineers. i am god

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my only enemy and nemesis is bloody 6 months ago, who is a loving idiot

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

yesterday morning i was working with some baltic dude with a SMS billing company who was trying to figure out why he couldn't get through the HTTP authentication on a callback script we set up for them. he was sending the username and password in "username" and "password" form data fields. i just changed the script, and he thanked me for fixing our bug.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

if you gotta edit it by hand json is better. otherwise it literally doesn't matter cause you're just doing json_decode($butt) or new SimpleXMLElement($butt)

e: obv you should strive to never edit it by hand

lol if you can't write a wsdl from scratch in 4 different styles by hand in vi

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hepatizon posted:

lol at the nursing home residents who can't let XML go

lol at the adhd teenagers who believe that constantly reinventing the wheel makes it better every time

editing xml by hand is great if you're using a schema-aware editor, it's like static typing for data files and it owns

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol at the literal children who can't understand why schemas and validation are important

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

hepatizon posted:

god forbid that we interact with text via tools designed for interacting with text

yes, like pencil and paper

throw all computers away. bonus: no more config files

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at the literal children who can't understand why schemas and validation are important

postel's principle bitch

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
No schema, no validation, no inline comments

It's the perfect config file format!

XML blows too, just differently.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's why ASN.1 should have remained the standard.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

MononcQc posted:

that's why ASN.1 should have remained the standard.

ah, ASN the multi-headed beast, all of which are ugly but in their own special snowflake way

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Postel Was Wrong.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tiny Bug Child posted:

postel's principle bitch

postel's principle gave us html and json in the first place

edit: really what postel's principle degenerated to is "ehhh gently caress it." the web didn't reach for the brass ring of "worse is better," we just embraced "worse is worse and that's ok gently caress it ship it"

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
yaml is the way and the light and the resurrection

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
xml is Too Verbose. there, i said it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KARMA! posted:

no one has ever asserted that xml is aesthetically more pleasing or more pleasant to write by hand. those are not items up for debate.

it is obvious that yaml and json are more pleasant for human beings to interact with via notepad. unfortunately that is not the core use case for document interchange formats.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

KARMA! posted:

except its not. it is precisely as verbose as it needs to be

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

shitface posted:

except its not. it is precisely as verbose as it needs to be
a wizard is never late, nor is he early. he arrives precisely when he means to.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

postel's principle gave us html and json in the first place

yup

i know you said that like it's supposed to be a bad thing but it's not

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

a massive idiot missing the point posted:

i know i said i was going to swap your engine out but it was pretty hard so i just pedals in instead. it's simpler :banjo:

:iiaca:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Shaggar posted:

json is really bad and is only for browsers.

shaggar was right

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

DimpledChad posted:

yaml is the way and the light and the resurrection

yaml, like xml, will bite you in the rear end because it's a complex format that has features that most people don't know about

in yaml's case, it's the handy remote execution feature that owned ruby on rails at least three times in a row

yaml library authors consistently manage to make this feature unguarded and enabled by default, so i've concluded that yaml is a format for clowns at the serialization circus

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
xml is bad but json is worse

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JewKiller 3000 posted:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yaml is the only popular format that's actually easy to hand-edit in a dumb text editor, but everything else about it is terrible :|

toml seems ok but isn't very popular outside of a handful of go apps (like confd)

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

go owns
gowns

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

abraham linksys posted:

toml seems ok but isn't very popular outside of a handful of go apps (like confd)

lol no lessons learned
  • schemaless
  • unvalidated
  • no standards process
worst of all, if you google toml all the hits are for an xml format for defining telescope paths

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

rust uses toml for its package manifests :shobon:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mods ban this transphobe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i just skimmed past four hundred posts and there was one deeply analyzing c++ compiler output and i can't be hosed to read it but if you have any questions let me know ok peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

i just skimmed past four hundred posts and there was one deeply analyzing c++ compiler output and i can't be hosed to read it but if you have any questions let me know ok peace

so visual studio 2015 ships with clang, that's pretty neat, right?