Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Castomira posted:

I enjoyed Spider-Verse #1, but it does absolutely nothing to advance the plot. It's really just Edge of Spiderverse #6. Which is fine, because I really liked those comics, but the rebranding is misleading.

The Penelope Parker story in particular was a lot of fun, and it has no Inheritors whatsoever.

None of them did.

And the best story was Lady Spider; another actually interesting female character (or character in general) introduced in Spider-Verse that we won't see beyond this event.

Suben fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Like that other one that is getting her own series?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Obviously Silk and Spider-Woman don't count as female characters getting their own ongoings from the event because they're too boring or whatever.

Newspaper Spider-Man story was fun and nice that even evil Slott couldn't bring himself to kill off the character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure they can't kill off Newspaper Spider-Man because it's still being published. Not that Slott decided he couldn't do it. Same way they won't kill off the animated Spider-Man in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Morlun's frustration with time resetting was perfect. And hey, Denis Medri finally got to use some of those kick-rear end steampunk designs that were kicking around a few years ago, so Spider-Verse isn't all terrible.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Obviously Silk and Spider-Woman don't count as female characters getting their own ongoings from the event because they're too boring or whatever.

I said interesting characters and I didn't think the Spider-Gwen story was particularly interesting. Not compared Sp//dr or Lady Spider, either of which I'd much rather see get their own book.

Also those opening pages more or less confirms Old Man Spider-Man is Uncle Ben.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Rereading the comic, I just realized that Daemos clubbed the Pete from Reign to death with Mary Jane's tombstone.

I'm starting to approve of Daemos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Castomira posted:

Rereading the comic, I just realized that Daemos clubbed the Pete from Reign to death with Mary Jane's tombstone.

I'm starting to approve of Daemos.

That is pretty goofy but on the other hand it is pretty much exactly what Spider-Man: Reign would do.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The Newspaper Spidey story was cute and I liked it, even though I think it could have snuck in one or two more jokes. The rest were nice too, though I thought Mangaverse MJ also had spider powers? A shame that she's sitting this one out.

I hope we get to briefly visit the Turn Off The Dark universe in one of those. There's a lot of joke potential there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just can't help but feel you could tell this basic story without having so many of these characters die violently to show how ruthless the boring villains are.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Inheritors visited the TOTD universe, but Spider-Man was already dead.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I really liked this. Steampunk Spider-Lady was good despite the steampunk. Hell it's main thing was: "yo being a lady in victorian times loving sucks". I'll echo the love for the Newspaper Spider-Man story.

Also:

ImpAtom posted:

That is pretty goofy but on the other hand it is pretty much exactly what Spider-Man: Reign would do.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Lurdiak posted:

I just can't help but feel you could tell this basic story without having so many of these characters die violently to show how ruthless the boring villains are.

Yeah, just showing a few at the beginning was plenty enough to establish them as a threat.

Really, this whole event feels like it was designed by a thirteen year-old, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. My inner child is unironically super stoked by the dumb "Every Spider-Man ever must team up!!!" premise.

But on the flipside, I couldn't care less about how the villains are, DUDE, invincible vampires that, like, get even stronger the more Spider-Men they kill, and when you try to hit them they're like "Yaaaawn, was that supposed to hurt? I wasn't even using half of my power level!" and then crush a Spider-Man's head and say something classy like "I daresay I will enjoy this morsel" then they come home and they have this super cool vampire political intrigue going on between them!

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
I wonder, would people hate the Inheritors as much if they were, say, Dr. Strange or Elsa Bloodstone antagonists? I don't really see any criticism of them as characters that doesn't pretty much boil down to "the Inheritors belong in a Vampire: The Masquerade supplement."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Castomira posted:

I wonder, would people hate the Inheritors as much if they were, say, Dr. Strange or Elsa Bloodstone antagonists? I don't really see any criticism of them as characters that doesn't pretty much boil down to "the Inheritors belong in a Vampire: The Masquerade supplement."

Probably, that is the same basic reason people hated Morlun when JMS introduced him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Castomira posted:

I don't really see any criticism of them as characters that doesn't pretty much boil down to "the Inheritors belong in a Vampire: The Masquerade supplement."

That's a pretty serious indictment of any character.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably, that is the same basic reason people hated Morlun when JMS introduced him.

I really enjoyed JMS first story. It is easily one of my top 10 favorite Spidey stories of all time. But almost all of his villains are really made to be used once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morlun was a fine villain for his first appearance. He was kind of Doomsday-y in that he was there to fill a specific role but whatever, dude worked for the story and died at the end. Every story since then has just been kind of eyerolling.

Just like Doomsday!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Castomira posted:

I think the problem is just that they're boring and like someone said hit every standard villain family archetype with no depth beyond that. Arguably they've taken steps back as characters since IIRC Morlun's whole deal originally was that he hunted all totems not just spiders. I think, like a lot of other stuff related to Slott's Spider-Man run, the idea of them would work better in the hands of a more competent creator who was less concerned with "trolling" people like like a 12-year-old.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody ever revisited Morwen or the Digger (JMS's other original villains) again, did they?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Slott is such a good troll he has finally found out the secret to getting people to troll themselves.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Nobody ever revisited Morwen or the Digger (JMS's other original villains) again, did they?
Shathra reappeared at the end of Kaine's series. The Shade never reappeared (probably because Spider-Man legit killed him,) and Carlyle never did either, though maybe he ought to now that Otto is dead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Carlyle get killed at the end of his first appearance as well? I think his armour sort of eats him?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Good to hear Newspaper Spidey survived but what this event really needs is Jay Pinkerton Newspaper Spidey showing up in the darkest hour to save the day for the other Spideys. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Good to hear Newspaper Spidey survived but what this event really needs is Jay Pinkerton Newspaper Spidey showing up in the darkest hour to save the day for the other Spideys. :colbert:

FAPPO!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Maybe Morlun's gay. Gay for Spider-Man!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Castomira posted:

As someone who legit loves V:tM and V:tR, no. The Inheritors are some ST's pet NPCs who are SO COOL and SO POWERFUL and totally untouchable by the PCs.

The Penelope Parker story was adorable, so I'm waiting for Slott to violently murder her in graphic detail. Ms. Kraven's outfit had me literally lol.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Soonmot posted:

As someone who legit loves V:tM and V:tR, no. The Inheritors are some ST's pet NPCs who are SO COOL and SO POWERFUL and totally untouchable by the PCs.
So, literally any Antediluvian/Methuselah in the setting?

I'm not seeing how Morlun is that much different from Helena or Menele, frankly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
We can only hope Morlun gets turned into an ashtray by the end of this.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mr. Maltose posted:

We can only hope Morlun gets turned into an ashtray by the end of this.

Yeah, I don't like his shtick either.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morlun is such a nerdy name. I know you're supposed to read it like some sexy Romanian baritone is saying Dracula but I hear it as a squawky Jewish mother from Long island saying Mortimer.

"Morlun, you come back here and put your sunscreen on! You know how you get in the sun!"

radlum
May 13, 2013
I liked the Newspaper Spider-Man and Hostess Spider-Man stories. Steampunk and Penelope were OK too.

I kind of wish the event ends with Kraven killing the Morluns for being a poor imitation of the true hunter. Whatever happened to him? Last time I saw him he was gonna be on Scarlet Spider, right?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

radlum posted:

I liked the Newspaper Spider-Man and Hostess Spider-Man stories. Steampunk and Penelope were OK too.

I kind of wish the event ends with Kraven killing the Morluns for being a poor imitation of the true hunter. Whatever happened to him? Last time I saw him he was gonna be on Scarlet Spider, right?

Drop everything you're doing and go read Yost's Scarlet Spider series right now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's kind of funny how after Grim Hunt Kraven has been in every spider-book except Peter's (and Otto's).

All he's missing now is trying to get Miguel to kill him too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kraven also showed up in Black Panther when Panther took over for Daredevil a while back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still think Peter's a huge loving rear end in a top hat for not killing him.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'd probably like this event more if it was just a deranged version of Peter Parker dimension hopping to kill the other Parkers in order to increase his own power.

Sure it would just be the plot of that Jet Li movie, The One, but I could live with that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They did that already.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Well newspaper spider-man is clearly the best spider-man.

Since Miles Morales is taking forever to come out and create an significant impact, I thought I'd delve in "All-new Ultimates". My god, has an uglier more boring book ever come out? Am I alone in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Well newspaper spider-man is clearly the best spider-man.

Since Miles Morales is taking forever to come out and create an significant impact, I thought I'd delve in "All-new Ultimates". My god, has an uglier more boring book ever come out? Am I alone in this?

You should go feast your eyes on the Finch art of Ultimatum.

• Locked thread