Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

So I just found out that if you hit AFK people with a farm cart at the right angle, they'll end up inside one of your cart storage boxes and you're free to just drive them anywhere. Like into a den of hungry wolves.

This sounds like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Balista's fun runs are legit fun. They're quick, you're guaranteed some kind of pvp, either making the rush back before you get jumped or defending yourself, makes lots of money, and like he said on the previous page involve just about every aspect of the game. If you haven't done one yet, you really should join next time they're happening. Bonus: you get to see Tumblr, the prettiest catboi ever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How does breeding work? One of my male yatas wanted me to play a tune or something, then 3 adjacent female yatas were blushing. Okay. Come back later and the females are back to normal.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There's only a 5% chance of the male being able to breed, and then a 5% chance for each of the blushing females to get pregnant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mercury_Storm posted:

There's only a 5% chance of the male being able to breed, and then a 5% chance for each of the blushing females to get pregnant.

Wow, that is really lame. They may look like bunnies, but they don't breed like bunnies.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Mercury_Storm posted:

So I just found out that if you hit AFK people with a farm cart at the right angle, they'll end up inside one of your cart storage boxes and you're free to just drive them anywhere. Like into a den of hungry wolves.

I've recently taken up dragging people into my house and locking them in.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

I've recently taken up dragging people into my house and locking them in.

Someone call the police. Open and shut case.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Red Dwarf best dwarf.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Malakesh posted:

Red Dwarf best dwarf.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fish

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Angela Christine posted:

How does breeding work? One of my male yatas wanted me to play a tune or something, then 3 adjacent female yatas were blushing. Okay. Come back later and the females are back to normal.

Hey, I'm the one that sold you the farm. Basically as explained, there is a low chance that the male will be a 'Stud'. When it is a stud, if you encourage him he'll mate with all the female Yata around him and they'll turn into "Blushing Female Yata". Ideally you want the males in the center of farms, as it allows them to affect more females around them. Females cannot go to the blushing state if you've already shorn them, so if you have a Male yata that is stud, make sure you do NOT shear any other yata around him if you want him to mate with them. I've had one of the males in the center get 15+ other yata easily, which gave me 3 babies the next day. After the females go blushing, you wait until the next day (you can't shear them) and they also have a low chance to give birth (Big Belly Yata). Usually that will give you a Striped Yata Mount which you can probably auction for 30-40 gold, but you have a chance at a Black yata and some other one too that sells for several hundred gold. Kind of like gambling.

Yata are not really all that profitable anymore since everyone and their brother farms them, however they are definitely gold positive even if you place them and butcher them the next day. Selling their meat to a vendor all but replaces 80% of the cost of buying the calf and the pelts they drop when butchers sell well on the AH. Shearing Yata rather than butchering them doesn't make as much money as it used to as the green quality Yata fur used to sell for 15-20g each, so you could make a killing with high husbandry. That market has crashed as everyone has yata farms it seems now.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqhkma_dWE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Red87 posted:

Hey, I'm the one that sold you the farm. Basically as explained, there is a low chance that the male will be a 'Stud'. When it is a stud, if you encourage him he'll mate with all the female Yata around him and they'll turn into "Blushing Female Yata". Ideally you want the males in the center of farms, as it allows them to affect more females around them. Females cannot go to the blushing state if you've already shorn them, so if you have a Male yata that is stud, make sure you do NOT shear any other yata around him if you want him to mate with them. I've had one of the males in the center get 15+ other yata easily, which gave me 3 babies the next day. After the females go blushing, you wait until the next day (you can't shear them) and they also have a low chance to give birth (Big Belly Yata). Usually that will give you a Striped Yata Mount which you can probably auction for 30-40 gold, but you have a chance at a Black yata and some other one too that sells for several hundred gold. Kind of like gambling.

Yata are not really all that profitable anymore since everyone and their brother farms them, however they are definitely gold positive even if you place them and butcher them the next day. Selling their meat to a vendor all but replaces 80% of the cost of buying the calf and the pelts they drop when butchers sell well on the AH. Shearing Yata rather than butchering them doesn't make as much money as it used to as the green quality Yata fur used to sell for 15-20g each, so you could make a killing with high husbandry. That market has crashed as everyone has yata farms it seems now.

That makes sense, thanks. :) I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something to spoil their chances. I was worried they were acting out loss.jpg on the front lawn. But it's just regular RNG shenanigans, which is fine.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

All I can think of now is the cat going "drat! I look good!"

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Malakesh posted:

All I can think of now is the cat going "drat! I look good!"

Whatever else may happen you have good taste in TV

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009

Widestancer posted:

Whatever else may happen you have good taste in TV

Haha thanks. Red dwarf and are you being served are probably my favorite British shows of all time. Top gear and mr bean come in a close second.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Malakesh posted:

Haha thanks. Red dwarf and are you being served are probably my favorite British shows of all time. Top gear and mr bean come in a close second.

Whoa you need to watch Peep Show and then reevaluate your list.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If I'm trying to transfer a large farm from my alt to my main (same account) and it has stuff growing on it, does that stuff disappear during the transfer?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Malakesh posted:

Easy come easy go.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009

Tanreall posted:

Whoa you need to watch Peep Show and then reevaluate your list.

Forgot to add flying circus for obvious reasons. Is peep show on Netflix or do I have to :filez: it?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

ruffz posted:

If I'm trying to transfer a large farm from my alt to my main (same account) and it has stuff growing on it, does that stuff disappear during the transfer?
No, it stays. I had trees on mine when I transferred.

E:

kznlol posted:

I found this:

It is called yanmentraitors.jpg :toot:
Ha, I'd forgotten about that. Never seen that picture before. History repeats, I guess.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 13, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Malakesh posted:

Forgot to add flying circus for obvious reasons. Is peep show on Netflix or do I have to :filez: it?

It's on Netflix get ready for 8 seasons of awkward British humor.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Tanreall posted:

It's on Netflix get ready for 8 seasons of awkward British humor.

Gamer hell yeah

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Peep Show made me uncomfortable to watch sometimes, but the good bits were brilliant. I would highly recommend Snuff Box. Only 5 episodes and they're all solid gold.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Red87 posted:

Basically as explained, there is a low chance that the male will be a 'Stud'.

yeah maybe for you :stat:

Charles Bukowski posted:

I spent this morning doing GHA runs with players that had never done it before. It was kind of fun teaching them all the tricks and getting them gear. One fellow, on his very first run, got a heroic chest piece. Lucky bugger.

I've never played a game like this before, and never with goons. I was bummed at the number of seemingly instant fractures and splinters that happened. Over and over, as soon as I got to know a player by doing a few GHA or Cinderstone runs, they'd bail for some spreadsheet optimization on some faraway bit of video game land and I'd never hear from them again.

:smithcloud:

I still can't believe the pedophilia thing was overlooked by so many of the officers or whatever (as an "old" and a "casual" I wasn't plugged in enough to know who was involved in what; sounds like everyone got banned who was a part of it, though, so that's...uh, a start?), but -- and I can't believe the sentence that is about to come next -- with the exception of the pedophilia, it seemed like a lot of the splinters which emptied the guild bank and tore the guild apart and dropped the number of active users so low were all...very petty?

As I have no frame of reference: is this an outlier, or is this what happens in most goon games? I'm assuming -- I hope reasonably -- that the pedophilia thing is not a common goon problem. But the back-biting and gossip and scheming over small slights? Does that always happen? I ran a couple dungeons with various people before they happened to leave, and it seemed like they were genuinely hurt by what looked, to the outside, to be the tiniest things. I'd ask them why they didn't just talk to Whoever about their difference, and it'd just be "blah blah fag" or some condescending remark about their nemesis thinking they knew better than others. It was really disappointing, because individually everyone seemed mostly friendly and willing to help out, but it was as if nobody had the means to settle even the tiniest of disputes. The lack of desire (or capacity?) to engage in any sort of conflict resolution was mind-boggling.

I guess my question, if this isn't already a big "tl;dr" just reeking of over-sincerity, is: is this the typical experience for goons in online video games? I had a great time at Balista's fun run*, at Bukowski's GHA runs**, and with Wonder as he, for no reward, sailed me across the ocean to finish my Trade Pack Quest #4 and immediately offered me a free 8x8 he'd been saving for a new player***.

Did the guild population really have to drop to 20 active users some days to bring that out?

I assumed that Something Awful had built a Goon Squad in every game because users want to play, succeed, but mostly have fun with a slightly friendlier and more sociable group than you'd get with a grab-bag of random "pubbies." There woudl also, i assumed, be a core group of MMORPG fans who would play all sorts of games together.

Was the Arche-Age experience par for the course? In which case, why keep building a guild if goons can never get along? Or was this game, for whatever reason, just a bad fit for SA posters, and the toxicity (...some guy kicked another goon out of a guild in an entirely different game and then boasted about it in a chat room dedicated to spying on the player? What?!) spilled over into everything else? Maybe it usually works fine and is loads of fun, but this was one of those powder keg situations nobody saw coming but had been simmering? I dunno. Just curious.

Anyway I have loads of time waiting by the mailbox out here for my Medicare disbursement, so thanks for listening.

*"Iwo Jima of Trade Runs"
**Bukowski is a saint: seems to heal GHA for hours for no benefit to himself, but just to give everyone an experience to see the limited content
***I didn't take the land, but ti was worth noting here, I thought, because of how clearly altruistic it seemed in comparison to everything else that happened in the, what, the one montht he game has existed? :smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly always have good experiences with goon guilds. There were a lot of unfortunate things that happened with this guild. As far as the toxicity like getting goons kicked in completely separate games and bragging, yeah, that was just a result of some shitheads having a bit too much power in Archeage and way too much power in other games.

Like, despite a few people who out and out hated me in the guild most people seemed to genuinely like me. I helped other goons, other goons helped me. It was mostly pretty fun, but definitely a failure of their initial leadership of the goon guild. If we had different officers initially this all probably would have been avoided.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2014

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing games with goons since 2003, this has definitely been the most anger and drama I've seen so far. I didn't play Darkfall though, I hear that one wasn't pleasant either.

With an increase in goons, a lot of us lose that "tight-knit" feel we used to feel in goon guilds. Maybe it was just me though. I have noticed in a few games that people that ran poo poo in other games would come into a new game with a sort of expectation that the pecking order would remain the same. I frankly couldn't care less who "runs" poo poo, as long as people are having fun and we're creating content for one another. Maybe that isn't the reason for drama here either.

I think its a few different things maybe. As the average goon is getting older, we have full time jobs and responsibilities, and choosing to use AA to take up our free time is an investment. If people are causing your investment of time to not be worthwhile, I expect people to leave or go with other likeminded's to achieve whatever it is they're looking to get out of the game. Some people don't have the patience to deal with others.

It could be the increasing hostility I see on the internet in general these days, zero empathy and echo chambers. Could be the young vs the old. The casuals vs the tryhards. Blacks and whites. Jews and gentiles. Christians and atheists. It could be a lot of things.

Its not though. Having given it some thought, I know why everyone was angry and Goon Squad imploded. The answer is fishing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that really is the answer

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Goons are just like any other group of people. If you say pubbie, replace it with pug, and congratulations, you are now a pubbie.

Goons are actually many groups that have conflicting interests. If you don't set up some ground rules to appease people who have different interests in games, you will have issues.

Splinters are a normal for goon guilds, so is one major guild pretending like they are the only guild and that you should join them.

It takes a lot of effort to keep a guild interested and together which mainly requires giving focus to those groups in ways they won't try to gently caress each other. Or you have to have people who are not man babies but this is a mmo.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 13, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea, that is something a lot of people really don't get

I hear a lot of goons talking about what they think goons are

it usually involves being some kind of superhuman gamer

in reality its more like most goons are dumb like pubbies, they paid $10, and now they are dumb like pubbies but also smug

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
I think you guys are swell.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
No, I can be a horrible arrogant sperg. I'm trying though, lord I'm trying.

e: I got a sweet beard though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
to be honest I actually have a lot more fun joining pubbie guilds

some of my friends are still playing and they joined shipwrecked pirates

that guild is already making them high-end gear

instead we had poor goons laughing about scamming "dumb pubbies" out of raw stone, while 1%er goons were scamming the poor goons

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'll let you guys all into GS if you come back.

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

Widestancer posted:

This sounds like fun.

You just have to back into them and then stop, or back them into a solid object. You can then cart people to elite mobs and let them earn a repair death while getting rage tells when they come back.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fish

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

atlas of bugs posted:

I guess my question, if this isn't already a big "tl;dr" just reeking of over-sincerity, is: is this the typical experience for goons in online video games? I had a great time at Balista's fun run*, at Bukowski's GHA runs**, and with Wonder as he, for no reward, sailed me across the ocean to finish my Trade Pack Quest #4 and immediately offered me a free 8x8 he'd been saving for a new player***.

A new group is a fragile thing. The founder goons bonded playing during beta, then threw open the goony floodgates with adorable banner ads when it went to open beta and launch. Then the BFM thing, excessive thread trolling, and six-degrees of separation games cut the legs out from under the new guild. It was stressful. It made things unfun. We accelerated from the honeymoon stage to bitterness in record time. There wasn't yet enough social glue (or inertia) to hold things together, so splinters happened.

It's actually pretty common for games with hundreds of goons to wind up with several goon guilds in the end. For the average goon there usually isn't nearly this much drama though.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I have a fun story.

Once upon a time there was a guy who signed up for forums:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tl-community/435280-the-tale-of-irninja-aka-freelancer

Then he betrayed them... horribly.

Now he plays Archeage on Enla, and berates women until they cry as guild leader of legacy! (really)

The horror!

There is lots of fun in all of that. You know, when the fishing fun wears out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
that link had too many words in it

• Locked thread