Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

re: the spirit engine 2, how the gently caress do you beat the first boss? He heals himself to full life like every turn. I'm sure there's a gimmick here I'm missing but I don't understand this games battle system terribly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Baby Babbeh posted:

re: the spirit engine 2, how the gently caress do you beat the first boss? He heals himself to full life like every turn. I'm sure there's a gimmick here I'm missing but I don't understand this games battle system terribly well.
Overcharge your attacks. Pause your guys so they just stand there until a full bar. Then the bar will start to change colors. Once it goes to like neon green or something, you're fully charged and will do extra damage with your attacks.

That's what the boss is trying to teach you. No idea if the game ever tells you this stuff, it's been years for me. I had to watch a youtube to remind myself v^_^v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gflVwyHIj9M&t=353s

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, I don't remember hearing about that mechanic at all. But the game's writing is a little obtuse so maybe I just didn't understand what it was trying to tell me. This is an interesting game but it really need to be rewritten by someone with a little better grasp on style and clarity.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, why would I ever use a tank when it costs 2 CP? That's ridiculous.

It's most useful as mobile cover for troops that don't have the movement budget of the scouts that can weave through line of sight.

And generally to be a big target that draws fire from dangerous enemies (if you don't use it for that there's at least 1 mission IIRC where you'll be punished harshly for it).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, why would I ever use a tank when it costs 2 CP? That's ridiculous.

It's fun to lightly bump enemy cover (and enemies) around to leave them out in the open.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tell me about Stella Deus. I just got it on the cheap since it looked like a neat strategy RPG and all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

Tell me about Stella Deus. I just got it on the cheap since it looked like a neat strategy RPG and all.

It's made by most of the team that made the ridiculously goddamn bullshit Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth (more like Ruining Your loving Life) but they took reactions to that to heart and made a pretty bland and easy game. Since said team was pretty much the guys left behind when Square picked up Quest team it has a pretty decent Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata soundtrack (Ogre Battle series, Final Fantasy Tactics, other Square games).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 12, 2014

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Walker posted:

I can't think RPG Maker without thinking of my favorite piece of vaporware, A Blurred Line.

I loved that game so much, it's a shame they never followed up on it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

It's most useful as mobile cover for troops that don't have the movement budget of the scouts that can weave through line of sight.

And generally to be a big target that draws fire from dangerous enemies (if you don't use it for that there's at least 1 mission IIRC where you'll be punished harshly for it).
I remember the mission you're talking about, and it was a really good one too.
Using it to run over enemy sandbags so you can headshot them is also a great idea. Using the tank is a great way to bait the AI into wasting a ton of CP on Lancers instead of Shocktroopers who can devour your scouts very quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The movement in general outside of Scouts is so incredibly small that, combined with ranking purely being about speed, I'm basically getting double punished for doing things tactfully instead of bumrushing scouts.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Dragonatrix posted:

Isn't that the game where each battle takes a long time to finish? I don't remember much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It amuses me that someone gave it an 86 while opening their review by calling it boring.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Here's a code for Valkyria Chronicles, because people should play it and support it and poo poo. Replace the ??? with R.

H?P7?-VKZ9C-TJ0P7

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Edelweiss and Shamrock also are what make having one or two engineers around useful. Keep them in cover behind the tanks and you've got cover for other troops that can't be destroyed.

The only good roles for engineers (besides clearing mines) are tank repair and sniper ammo resupply. They can also rebuild destroyed sandbags which people seem to miss.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Here's a code for Valkyria Chronicles, because people should play it and support it and poo poo. Replace the ??? with R.

H?P7?-VKZ9C-TJ0P7

Lurked :( Thanks for your generosity though

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Have any of you played Brigandine: the Legend of Forsena for the PSX? I somehow found it in a lost hole in the wall last week, and I'm currently in the process of taking over the anime continent with a mad posse of clowns and generally deranged people. It's hard to explain how it plays, but it's kind of a combination of Fire Emblem and X-Com on a hexadecimal grid like in Heroes of Might and Magic. You can recruit several kinds of monsters and place them into squadrons led by a human commander, and if they don't get brutally slaughtered (battles are pretty deadly), they can evolve at level 10 (and I presume 20) and gain new abilities. What's cool about it is that you can pick any of the six warring empires, each with their strengths and weaknesses -- for example, the evil empire that can only be played with a special input has hands-down the most powerful set of commanders, but begins the game at war with the four countries that surround it. The difficulty level varies greatly between empires (New Almekia and Caerleon are allied for the entire game, and Caerleon especially has so many advantages stacked in its favor that winning the game is a cinch), and it's maybe a bit too easy on the Normal difficulty, but it's seriously a lot of fun.

Apparently a re-worked version of the game with better mechanics and the evil empire as a legit choice with an actual storyline (as opposed to a cheat code added in for fun) was released in Japan but never brought over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So just to hopefully cure my constant disappointment of bad ranks, do I get more money having like a D rank but killing everyone over getting an A rank? Because I'm noticing very early on that it takes like 2-3 turns for most non-scouts to even see an enemy.

Also, is the VC3 strategy of deploying like 3 guys, capture a point, and then spawn the rest of the people the best mobility strategy?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm not sure about D rank but you're doing something wrong if you can't kill pretty much every enemy and get at least a B, which more or less evens out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i'm not sure about D rank but you're doing something wrong if you can't kill pretty much every enemy and get at least a B, which more or less evens out

Well I'm doing something wrong then, because I've got C's the last two missions (just finished chapter 5). Could be I'm using Welkin too much, but he's faster and a better tank killer than my Lancers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The early chapters are a bigger pain on that front. I'm not sure why you'd consider the Edelweiss a better tank killer than your lancers though, one shot to the radiator is all you should be doing, and lancers have about the same AP.

It's not immediate like in VC3, but I mainly deploy Lancers and Shocktroopers from a base, have them clear most of the threats in the area, then have a scout clean up and capture a base

this was when I was deliberately playing without orders so I couldn't have my scouts do half the broken stuff they normally did and I still mostly got A's and the occasional B, so it's possible

e: Chapter 5 is Kloden, right? that map might be an exception to what I said because killing the Lupus is a giant time sink.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 12, 2014

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Heavy neutrino posted:

Have any of you played Brigandine: the Legend of Forsena for the PSX? I somehow found it in a lost hole in the wall last week, and I'm currently in the process of taking over the anime continent with a mad posse of clowns and generally deranged people. It's hard to explain how it plays, but it's kind of a combination of Fire Emblem and X-Com on a hexadecimal grid like in Heroes of Might and Magic. You can recruit several kinds of monsters and place them into squadrons led by a human commander, and if they don't get brutally slaughtered (battles are pretty deadly), they can evolve at level 10 (and I presume 20) and gain new abilities. What's cool about it is that you can pick any of the six warring empires, each with their strengths and weaknesses -- for example, the evil empire that can only be played with a special input has hands-down the most powerful set of commanders, but begins the game at war with the four countries that surround it. The difficulty level varies greatly between empires (New Almekia and Caerleon are allied for the entire game, and Caerleon especially has so many advantages stacked in its favor that winning the game is a cinch), and it's maybe a bit too easy on the Normal difficulty, but it's seriously a lot of fun.

Apparently a re-worked version of the game with better mechanics and the evil empire as a legit choice with an actual storyline (as opposed to a cheat code added in for fun) was released in Japan but never brought over.

I loooooooooved Brigandine so much. You forgot about the "quests" or whatever they were called you could send your allies to do that come back with stat up/downs, injuries or more recruits. And job/class ups etc were super fun. I wish the japanese version was brought over, but we can't have nice things :(

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Captain Walker posted:

I can't think RPG Maker without thinking of my favorite piece of vaporware, A Blurred Line. It's even more tantalizing because the updates released in 2003 and 2007 were good, or at least intriguing and different from what other games in the scene were doing. I should really try Everlong/Exit Fate/Last Scenario, at least they're finished right?

I'll be honest here. Despite A Blurred Line being good and all, I preferred Alter A.I.L.A. / Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis much more. The music, multiple paths/story, and intriguing characters stood out to me a lot more than A Blurred Line did.

Plus it felt more "Cyberpunk" to me. And you got to kick the arse of all the party members whom you didn't join up with (Rebels/Independents/Imperials). So there's that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Before I get too far into it, does VC1 have a set up like the mission in VC2 where you're thrown against a fucker who dodges 90% of frontal attacks (including flamers), can cover the entire map walking, switches class between phases, teleports and resurrects the dead, all in one turn?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

I believe that you only get xp/money bonuses for killing leaders, aces, and tanks. Killing grunts does nothing really, just do that when need to clear a path or distract.

Overall better ranks get you by far the most xp/cash. Oh, and killing Aces can get you more weapons. Also, Rank As after first half of the game will get you better versions of weapons.

You can however replay skirmishes and other non story missions and grind xp/ducats.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Before I get too far into it, does VC1 have a set up like the mission in VC2 where you're thrown against a fucker who dodges 90% of frontal attacks (including flamers), can cover the entire map walking, switches class between phases, teleports and resurrects the dead, all in one turn?

Nah, there's nothing like that in VC1.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

SelenicMartian posted:

Dodges - yes. Some of the later Aces are tough. Shoot them in the back of the head! Oh, and you can't dodge grenades or flamethrower.

Edit 2 - late game snipers are one shot, one kill as well.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 12, 2014

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Ya it's like an anime Romance of the Three Kingdoms game. I really enjoyed it but had to turn all animations off because they were horrific. Mostly I just really liked the art and concept of the game. Really strange others haven't appeared like it. I think there's a Sega CD or Saturn game that was like it though, but I forget the name. Dragon something or another?

I think it was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Force

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Variant_Eris posted:

I'll be honest here. Despite A Blurred Line being good and all, I preferred Alter A.I.L.A. / Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis much more. The music, multiple paths/story, and intriguing characters stood out to me a lot more than A Blurred Line did.

Plus it felt more "Cyberpunk" to me. And you got to kick the arse of all the party members whom you didn't join up with (Rebels/Independents/Imperials). So there's that.

Oh man I remember playing that ages ago. Looking at it now it's pretty goofy but the second game did some interesting mechanics stuff despite being an RPGMaker game.
EDIT: I completely forgot this game had a bunch of drawn scenes too.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 13, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Heavy neutrino posted:

I've actually hardly heard of this and I've played most of the good Playstation RPGs, probably because it didn't get very good reviews. It looks really interesting though, I'm quite tempted to play it. I actually just googled a translation for the updated edition of the game, and to my surprise somebody is apparently still working on one at the moment. I opened the thread at page 1 which was from June 2013, and the OP is still updating with translation info. The thread is here - http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=684.0

god knows how much has been translated or if it will ever be finished though

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I've actually hardly heard of this and I've played most of the good Playstation RPGs, probably because it didn't get very good reviews. It looks really interesting though, I'm quite tempted to play it. I actually just googled a translation for the updated edition of the game, and to my surprise somebody is apparently still working on one at the moment. I opened the thread at page 1 which was from June 2013, and the OP is still updating with translation info. The thread is here - http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=684.0

That's pretty cool. I found out that Grand Edition can be bought on the Japanese PSN store, so I bought it to stay on the right side of the law and then naturally turned to emulation because I can't live without pSX's fast forward button. I haven't had any time to really play, but they messed around with the mechanics a bit and, thank god, added a battle prediction screen that shows your character's and the opponent's chance to hit, which was sorely lacking from the original game. Estgares now has a fully-fleshed storyline, and they threw out the (honestly pretty bad) soundtrack from the original in favor of one that's...honestly not much better -- at least it's not aggressively bad, though. There's also a menu option for watching AI vs. AI battles, which you'll probably want to turn off immediately, but it does let you see character-specific conversations between commanders from other countries.

As for the translation, as the translator mentions in the post you linked, the game in general seems to be a massive pain in the rear end, coding-wise. After I brought the localized original edition CD home, I tried to make an image of it and play that image on pSX, but the game wouldn't have any of it, and I couldn't get past the intro screen -- turns out the only way to play it properly was to have the CD in a physical drive in my PC and make pSX boot from it. pSX is notorious for its great compatibility, so there's no telling what kinds of nightmares lurk inside Brigandine.

Still, the game doesn't lean very hard on story, so if you're interested and don't mind the insane mark-up on japanese PSN cards (what's the deal with that, anyway?), it's some 600 yen on the Japanese PSN store.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Paperhouse posted:

I dunno if I'd call the game 'good'. It's just one of those Playstation games that fit a very specific niche so you either enjoy it or get bored within 5 minutes. I really enjoyed gimmicky PS games like Kagero and stuff when I was younger, but I can barely do it now. I definitely could not play Brigandine now simply because of how artificially slow the battles play out and how easy they are. The interesting decisions are all made on the bigger strategic map.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
If you like Brigandine: the Legend of Forsena, you should check out Vanguard Bandits. It's another turn based strategy game made around the same time. It's basically medieval Gundam Wars.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ankle-biter posted:

you should check out Vanguard Bandits

And you'll also get the bad ending despite your best efforts. I love the game to bits, but it is kind of a dick.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

And you'll also get the bad ending despite your best efforts. I love the game to bits, but it is kind of a dick.

yup

didn't even know there was an affection system

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Need more tips on Valk 1. It seems the more range the better? Because those ace weapons that have great killing power but poo poo range have bitten me in the rear end more times than not. Also, Lancers getting kills on tanks is tedious unless I dedicate two whole turns (because of stamina) to run them up, and then pray their lovely accuracy doesn't miss.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ace weapons suck except the flamethrowers

best way to take down a tank if you don't want to use lancers is to use the damage boost order (you may not have it yet) on a scout and have them shoot the radiator

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yeah I usually just use a shocktrooper or a scout and run them right up behind the tank and use an order to take it out. I keep only one lancer, Jann on hand but 99% of the time for the whole mission he just stands there at spawn looking pretty.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Well to be fair the bad ending is pretty cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Ace weapons suck except the flamethrowers

best way to take down a tank if you don't want to use lancers is to use the damage boost order (you may not have it yet) on a scout and have them shoot the radiator

That's the level 7 Lancer reward, right? And if I use it, can a standard rifle one-turn kill a radiator? Or is it a multiple thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

That's the level 7 Lancer reward, right? And if I use it, can a standard rifle one-turn kill a radiator? Or is it a multiple thing?

Sounds right.

And yeah, a scout will one shot a radiator with it