Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That website is something special. I stopped it after there was a clear top banner, two side banners and then some middle content. That was a strange trip to an age of the internet that Rush's multimillion dollar empire doesn't fully explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/11/11/colbert_crowd_cheers_stop_obama
Yeah I don't think Limbaugh gets The Colbert Report. I am under no delusion that Limbaugh himself actually believes that they were cheering for him, but apparently some of his moronic listeners unironically believe this.

I don't think Rush is dumb enough not to understand that Colbert does satire, but believes that his listeners are that dumb. It's not like someone calling in to correct him is going to get on the air either.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't think Rush is dumb enough not to understand that Colbert does satire, but believes that his listeners are that dumb. It's not like someone calling in to correct him is going to get on the air either.

It's Colbert so he's staying kayfabe.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Breibart.com published an article about how the AG nominee Loretta Lynch was part of the team that defended Clinton during the Whitewater investigation. Turns out it was an entirely different Loretta Lynch. Let's see how they correct this misinformation!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah quite a few right wing news outlets have been getting this wrong. Not that surprising that they're incapable of doong research beyond googling a name.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Why bother researching if it fits the narrative?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

CALLER: Well, it may be, but it's significant. How do you explain it?

RUSH: I don't explain it.

GOP.txt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Having my monthly exposure to O'Reilly.

Did you know that people didn't vote last week because the machines have taken over and everyone is now lost in cyberspace?

E: sweet! Erick, son of Erick, is on.

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 13, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Thump! posted:

Yeah I'm actually legitimately interested in purchasing some of that coffee.

More of a novelty thing, really.

Maybe if we all buy so loving much, he’ll retire to a coffee farm in Hawaii and take up surfing. Can the Bill gates foundation agree to buy 50 million dollars of whatever coffee Alex Jones personally farms, from outside the contiguous United States?

I think we need to outbid wingnut welfare and get these guys better jobs.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

agarjogger posted:

Maybe if we all buy so loving much, he’ll retire to a coffee farm in Hawaii and take up surfing. Can the Bill gates foundation agree to buy 50 million dollars of whatever coffee Alex Jones personally farms, from outside the contiguous United States?

I'm with you, but I prefer we move them to a farm upstate. You know, the one where they can be free to roam all day, but we can't visit there, because it will ruin the tranquility.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

agarjogger posted:

I don't know if you can outbid schizophrenia

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I'm with you, but I prefer we move them to a farm upstate. You know, the one where they can be free to roam all day, but we can't visit there, because it will ruin the tranquility.

Bad news, the big happy farm burned down in 2011.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fire-consumes-big-happy-farm-where-families-send-s,20641/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What's everyones take on the chances Republicans send themselves into another Gingrich/Shutdown tizzy over the immigration executive orders? And if not that, do you think they'll be able to make it to 2016 without a big flashy tantrum/overreach over something else?

I predict we'll see one more shutdown before Obama is gone, but not on this. If I had to take a guess I would say they send a major shot at Obamacare (probably something killing the individual mandate) to be signed and then force a shut down when they run into the veto on it. I figure the message they got out of the last shutdown is that they mostly got away with it when they couldn't even figure out what their demands were, why wouldn't it turn out better if they had a real reason?

I don't think we'll see an actual impeachment, but I didn't think they'd shut that whole thing down over "uhhh, obamacare I guess" either.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The luminaries at Breibart weigh in on GamerGate

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/12/The-authoritarian-Left-was-on-course-to-win-the-culture-wars-then-along-came-GamerGate

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Lost me at first three words "Gamergate is remarkable"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone outside of idiotic video game culture or people tangentially related to that (such as Internet boards with videogame subforums) even aware of Gamergate? It feels like Libertarian news blogs are the only media that cares.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Radish posted:

Does anyone outside of idiotic video game culture or people tangentially related to that (such as Internet boards with videogame subforums) even aware of Gamergate? It feels like Libertarian news blogs are the only media that cares.

There was a clickhole article about it, which really surprised me, but even though I hear about it all the time on this website, I really don't know what it is.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gross Dude posted:

There was a clickhole article about it, which really surprised me, but even though I hear about it all the time on this website, I really don't know what it is.

Basically goony internet nerds found out that this female game developer had been dating a game reviewing journalist, jumped to conclusions that this journalist gave her favorable reviews because they were dating (he didn't review any of her stuff after they dated. and they didn't even really date, apparently) and went on a social media witch hunt to expose all of the "slut" female developers (and by extension "slut" female gamers) with harassment while claiming they were actually against corruption in games journalism. Why they expend their efforts harassing female developers instead of the supposedly corrupt games journalists is beyond me. The harassment (both the content of it and the events which caused the dumbasses to start it) made it a feminist issue.

Radish posted:

I saw a thing about it on Colbert.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
edit: I don't need a big paragraph explaining what gamergate is. It's dumb culture war bullshit through and through.

Its basically a new Conservative pet project because they think they can "win" and appeal to the gaming youth, so they're biting down hard and not letting go.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 13, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

i heard a thing on NPR today framed as "what the hell is gamergate anyway" which basically said that it's kind of about ethics in games journalism, but really honestly it's about threatening to rape and murder women who have ideas about video games

D1Sergo posted:

Its basically a new Conservative pet project because they think they can "win" and appeal to the gaming youth, so they're biting down hard and not letting go.

yeah a lot of unabashedly right wing outlets have been latching on to make inroads in otherwise apolitical loser nerds by telling them that they're crusaders fighting the good fight in the leftist culture war

ten years from now when there's a faction of idiot authoritarian angry middle aged gamers we can point to a credible origin

GutBomb posted:

Why they expend their efforts harassing female developers instead of the supposedly corrupt games journalists is beyond me.

this is why it clearly isn't about ethics. games journalism has always been payola-ridden marketing swill, as long as it's existed. that gamergate fanatics go after obscure small fish and unpopular websites rather than the huge industry-linked magazines and review sites points out that they don't really care about making games journalism better, that's just an excuse to validate online harrassment of people they don't like

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 13, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Radish posted:

Ehhhhh, I think it's pretty much on the margins. Some bigger news outlets have run "what the gently caress is this gamergate thing?" articles, some 2nd tier places have run more in depth breakdowns and covered things like Sarkeesian cancelling over threats.

It's basically the tea party for pouty 15 year olds (both literal and mental) who think women get all the breaks in society.

Gross Dude posted:

In a nutshell it touched off over an admission that some shady lady game developer slept with some game journalists, she wasn't in the right by any means but then her and people defending her got blasted with a bunch of the worst kind of 4chan style internet revenge...which was of course steeped in a crazy amount of misogyny, and waaaaaaay overblown for whatever their perceived sins were. That inspired a feminist critique of gaming culture being a particular hotbed of immature, sad pieces of human garbage. Most people didn't find that all that controversial but a bunch of immature, sad pieces of human garbage felt offended. And of course everytime that happens some portion of the Right Wing will ride to their defense.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In a nutshell it touched off over an admission that some shady lady game developer slept with some game journalists, she wasn't in the right by any means

she didn't do anything wrong. she may or may not have cheated on her boyfriend, big deal. it demonstrably was not for any favors or positive reviews. this whole thing got touched off because some bitter nerd aired his dirty relationship laundry and angry virgins latched on because she was a female game developer with a non-traditional game and unorthodox opinions who also happened to be a sexhaver. it was waving a red flag for people who have nothing in their lives other than group identity as a video game player

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah I should've framed that more as "she's kind of a lovely person but not remarkably so"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I should've framed that more as "she's kind of a lovely person but not remarkably so"

what has she done that's lovely? not digging into you or anything, as far as i know she may or may not have cheated on her boyfriend and she made a game called Depression Quest about having depression. both of which are stupid, but there's a huge gap between zoe quinn the person and zoe quinn the avatar of satan come down to forbid Pure Gamers their last little bastion of nerd entitlement

even for gamers, who love to comb through a person's life history to retroactively justify awful behavior towards that person, they've turned up practically nothing

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wasn't one thing she did was derail a game development contest to attract women in gaming, causing sponsors to back out and investors to lose money while she formed her own counter contest at about the same time? Or am I thinking of someone else?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I've been tempted to :toxx: gamergate people becoming the new Republican base in the next five to ten years. It's one of their better chances of attracting youth voters without compromising too many of their beliefs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Could be the source I read wasn't the best, but I thought she had a bigger hand in turning the cheatee's blog thing from a personal issue into a full blown industry issue. Like beyond just picking the nearest joystiq editor or whatever for the bone zoning.

Edit: But the point stands absolutely ZERO of what she's ever been accused of justifies any 3rd party wrecking her poo poo.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
please don't talk about gamergate

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Still can't believe "ethics in video game journalism" is a thing anyone on earth would seriously care about.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gozinbulx posted:

Still can't believe "ethics in video game journalism" is a thing anyone on earth would seriously care about.

As Colbert said, imagine how horrific a world we would have if we didn't have ethics in Hollywood journalism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gozinbulx posted:

it's fun to imagine the kind of people who are involved in gamergate and really care about ethical games journalism. they have to exist, and they probably buy timeshares and dr. who collectibles

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

MizPiz posted:

I've been tempted to :toxx: gamergate people becoming the new Republican base in the next five to ten years. It's one of their better chances of attracting youth voters without compromising too many of their beliefs.

Being pissed off that an underdog in society is getting uppity has always been a conservative pillar. This is basically the tea-partying of the MRA flavor of that phenomenon. It's not new, it just found a moment to coalesce around and found a catchy name.

Edit: Also like the tea party, they mistake being paid attention to for being correct.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Gamergate is a misogynistic reactionary freakout to feminism in video games. That is all. If you listen to the rhetoric that the gamergate people actually spout they spend more time worrying about 'social justice warriors' destroying/removing their games tham anything else. This kind of thinking has been around for a while: http://zennistrad.tumblr.com/post/102462951398/those-who-do-not-learn-from-history-are-condemned

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Who the gently caress even has time to play video games anymore?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

BiggerBoat posted:

Who the gently caress even has time to play video games anymore?

Unemployed people :smith:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well there's "cord-cutters" for one. And it's not like every game ever is a timesink. I don't get a lot of time these days but it's easy enough to sneak in a couple of Street Fighter matches online and that's some of the most fun I've had gaming in years. Despite all the pathos it's soaking in it's still just a hobby. People always find times for their hobbies.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There have been multiple good outcomes from the whole Gamergate bullshit. In no particular order:
- Has made "Actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" a punchline filler joke
- Has made it readily apparent who is a sociopath who doesn't have the capacity for empathy
- Furthered the dilution of the term "SJW" so it becomes trite nothingness
- Inspired a Cloud-to-Buttesque plugin, but instead of replacing "the cloud" with "my butt", it replaces "SJW" with "a skeleton"
- Has done some damage to "the truth is in the middle" South Park bullshit because most people are somewhat wary of sending 4chan at a former girlfriend as an acceptable response to getting dumped

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 13, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phone posted:

There have been multiple good outcomes from the whole Gamergate bullshit. In no particular order:
- Has made "Actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" a punchline filler joke
- Has made it readily apparent who is a sociopath who doesn't have the capacity for empathy
- Furthered the dilution of the term "SJW" to be trite nothingness
- Inspired a Cloud-to-Buttesque plugin, but instead of replacing "the cloud" with "my butt", it replaces "SJW" with "a skeleton"
- Has done some damage to "the truth is in the middle" South Park bullshit because most people are somewhat wary of sending 4chan at a former girlfriend as an acceptable response to getting dumped
It's also pushed a bunch of things closer to the mainstream - discussion about gender roles in games and online treatment of women - in ways that are the exact opposite of what GG wanted. Anita Sarkeesian would never have appeared on Colbert Report or fielded interview requests from hundreds of media outlets if GG hadn't decided to make an example of her with their threats and stalking and harassment. Lots of companies and designers are now on the record as wanting to work towards less cliched sexism and more inclusive diversity in their games. All their nerd culture-heroes have run away from them screaming. Really nice set of own goals there, GG.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FMguru posted:

It's also pushed a bunch of things closer to the mainstream - discussion about gender roles in games and online treatment of women - in ways that are the exact opposite of what GG wanted. Anita Sarkeesian would never have appeared on Colbert Report or fielded interview requests from hundreds of media outlets if GG hadn't decided to make an example of her with their threats and stalking and harassment. Lots of companies and designers are now on the record as wanting to work towards less cliched sexism and more inclusive diversity in their games. All their nerd culture-heroes have run away from them screaming. Really nice set of own goals there, GG.

Gentile reminder they were incredibly happy when some Baldwin supported them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Phone posted:

Thank you for telling me about this, it is a thing I will greatly enjoy.