Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is that the "Eggman fakes an injury to take Sonic to court" episode I read about when they announced the show?

No, the plot was "Eggman's fortress was destroyed so he's crashing at Sonic's until his robots fix the place"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Augh, Captain Toad is undeniably adorable. (That's the first hour of the game, for those of you who are avoiding such things.) Nintendo did a dirty thing by releasing the title theme at E3 -- it's been constantly getting stuck in my head ever since. Weird that all it took was a cute little ditty and a clip of him shivering like a bitch to make me go from despising Toad to loving him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mercury Crusader posted:

No, the plot was "Eggman's fortress was destroyed so he's crashing at Sonic's until his robots fix the place"

This sounds great, I'm glad something not bad came out of Sonic Boom.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Post-game spoilers for Captain Toad: after you meet the main boss you see a cutscene that shows the game took place before 3D World, then you unlock a bunch of Captain-friendly versions of the 3D World levels that Captain Toad originally appeared in as a NPC.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Looper posted:

otoh they've apparently burnt the best idea they'll ever have already (Eggman having to sleep on Sonic's couch for a few days)

This made me go watch the cartoon. It actually is pretty good. The episodes are really short so they don't wear out their welcome and the jokes are just the right type of dumb. I love how Eggman is more a nuisance than an actual villain.

If only the associated games weren't festering piles.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just started Mario Sunshine on my oddysey to play all the main mario games.

Holy poo poo in the seven kingdoms, I had forgotten the amazingly awful voice acting. On the plus side, its still a drat pretty looking game. I'm running it through Nintendont on the WiiU and the upscaling makes it look dang nifty.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Bought Bayonetta 1&2 the other day at the store and only just got around to playing the first one now and turns out its super fun. I'm not doing too great though, mainly getting silvers. My biggest problem I think so far is being able to tell what the enemies are actually doing since they all look the same and are the same color, it's hard to tell when they're attacking and when they aren't, I expect this will get easier as I adjust to the game though. I'm pretty sure I pure-platinumed that one boss that has the giant axe before the flashback sequence. Rodin is the best character so far. It feels and looks a lot like the Devil May Cry games. Good purchase, I hear 2 is even better so I'm looking forward to that.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I managed to play Arkham City on the Wii U at a buddy's house I was staying at. He hates video games, but loved watching me play that. The gimmicks added enough interesting components where it felt like you were Batman (well, as much as you can in a video game).

And good God. I have a backlog of games already and Nintendo keeps pumping out poo poo that I want. If you told me a year ago that Nintendo would be on their A game I would have laughed. Now, it's almost frustrating. I only have so many hours to play. This isn't even including my Wii games.

The only game on the next gens that I'm stoked for is Bloodbourne, which may push me to get a PS4 if it's good enough.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

Did y'all know Sonic Boom is also a TV show that airs right now in real life? Surprising, I know.

Well aware. I watched the first two episodes.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Davinci posted:

Bought Bayonetta 1&2 the other day at the store and only just got around to playing the first one now and turns out its super fun. I'm not doing too great though, mainly getting silvers. My biggest problem I think so far is being able to tell what the enemies are actually doing since they all look the same and are the same color, it's hard to tell when they're attacking and when they aren't, I expect this will get easier as I adjust to the game though. I'm pretty sure I pure-platinumed that one boss that has the giant axe before the flashback sequence. Rodin is the best character so far. It feels and looks a lot like the Devil May Cry games. Good purchase, I hear 2 is even better so I'm looking forward to that.

It's much easier to dodge based on sound and/or the bright flashes. It takes some getting used to but you'll get into a rhythm with it. Until you meet Grace and Glory, they are weird.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Grace and Glory are HELLA weird, because I was actually PRETTY GOOD AT THE FIRST G-AND-G FIGHT, but every subsequent fight with them has become more difficult for me.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Cross-post from the Mario Kart 8 thread.

Ultigonio posted:

Oh yeah also the DLC's out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ultigonio posted:

Cross-post from the Mario Kart 8 thread.

oh gently caress

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wish I could download it. I got a patch to update and it finished bringing me to 2.0, and then surprise nothing is unlocked.

Edit: Turning the game on and off several times got it to work, new tracks own

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 13, 2014

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
And just as I try to turn on the gamepad, it is deader than dead. :(

Looks like it's time to ship to Nintendo (that's what you get for not playing for a few weeks).

e: And that sad face was pointless, I got it to work perfectly now.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 13, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bit of an odd question. I'm without a TV for the immediate future but interested in the Wii U because you can play on the little screen on the controller. I know you need to sync the controller with the console, which requires a tv. How often does this need to be done? Is it a one time thing or does it need to be done everytime the console is disconnected from the power?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As far as I know, the gamepad functions as a sensor bar. I don't recall it needing to check that a tv was connected, but there are several games that require a TV to play.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
Wast JUST jamming four player on this, everyone left 10 minutes ago then I find this out. Online it is!

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is that the "Eggman fakes an injury to take Sonic to court" episode I read about when they announced the show?

Wasn't that episode from here?
https://twitter.com/sonicboomep

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

no, it's real

quote:

For example, in one episode, Sonic will fire Tails as his assistant, with the hedgehog's longtime nemesis, Dr. Eggman, applying for the job. In another, Eggman fakes an injury and takes Sonic the Hedgehog to court.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Bit of an odd question. I'm without a TV for the immediate future but interested in the Wii U because you can play on the little screen on the controller. I know you need to sync the controller with the console, which requires a tv. How often does this need to be done? Is it a one time thing or does it need to be done everytime the console is disconnected from the power?

It's a one time thing, unless you sync a different Gamepad to the console. Losing power won't de-mate it (I lose power every day it rules) but I couldn't say just how long the connection lasts without power. Volatile memory and all that.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Amiibos? Man, gently caress that poo poo.

Unless they release a Lucina.

Which they undoubtedly will.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Other upcoming Sonic Boom episodes include Eggman and Amy playing a MLP-esque MMO together and keeping it a secret from Sonic before dragging him to bronycon.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Grace and Glory are HELLA weird, because I was actually PRETTY GOOD AT THE FIRST G-AND-G FIGHT, but every subsequent fight with them has become more difficult for me.

For me it was actually the other way around. I remember dreading facing their upgraded form, but I somehow found them more doable. :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth TNT posted:

For me it was actually the other way around. I remember dreading facing their upgraded form, but I somehow found them more doable. :psyduck:

I hate the four-legged guys almost as much (I can't recall their name right now), because of the roar and biting move.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Why exactly are people so luke warm on Wii Party U?

I played it last night with a buddy and we are already planning to get a couple of more people over to play because it was so much fun.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-zelda-wii-u-looks-even-better-than-before-update-at-e3-2015/

quote:

This week’s issue of Famitsu has an interview with Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma. While much of the discussion focused on Majora’s Mask, the magazine also managed to ask a couple of questions about Zelda Wii U.
Aonuma mentioned that many styles were considered to suit a Zelda game set in a wide world before deciding on the current visuals. On the topic of graphics, Aonuma teases: “Now it looks more amazing than what was shown at E3.”
Aonuma additionally notes that the enemy shown in the debut trailer is something not previously seen in the series as you have to come up with a strategy while escaping on horse. He stresses that “If an enemy like this appears, how would you beat it?” is a situation which the team has tried to include in the game.
So when will we see Zelda for Wii U again? Aonuma thinks that Nintendo may have new things to show at E3 next year.

Holy moly! :flashfap:

No news until E3 though. :[

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't the gamepad supposed to mirror all the audio? I was a dumbass and didn't check that the Wii U doesn't have an optical out so I'm waiting until I receive the composite cable but Wind Waker HD only plays the game audio if I select to play on the gamepad. W101, Bayonetta and Pikmin all work fine.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Is Nintendont easy and awesome or will it be weird and scary like the Wii homebrew stuff?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PoshAlligator posted:

Is Nintendont easy and awesome or will it be weird and scary like the Wii homebrew stuff?

It's pretty easy, but you'll have to set up some Wii homebrew stuff to get it running, so you'll need access to a copy of Brawl or something that can run one of the various homebrew exploits.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PoshAlligator posted:

Well (by the looks of things) it uses (v)Wii homebrew to begin with, but aside from that it's just your average homebrew app and doesn't appear to touch any IOSes. Pretty nifty, though.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Thank you Goons for the info on the refurbed stuff. I just bought the 32GB console and 3 Motion + controllers with nunchucks off the Nintendo site. With 2 day shipping it's the same price as the bundle, and I'm sure I can grab Mario Kart 8 for 40-50 bucks somewhere.

Now I just have to wait for Smash Bros to come out :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Isn't the gamepad supposed to mirror all the audio? I was a dumbass and didn't check that the Wii U doesn't have an optical out so I'm waiting until I receive the composite cable but Wind Waker HD only plays the game audio if I select to play on the gamepad. W101, Bayonetta and Pikmin all work fine.
It doesn't universally.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rynn posted:

Thank you Goons for the info on the refurbed stuff. I just bought the 32GB console and 3 Motion + controllers with nunchucks off the Nintendo site. With 2 day shipping it's the same price as the bundle, and I'm sure I can grab Mario Kart 8 for 40-50 bucks somewhere.

Now I just have to wait for Smash Bros to come out :(

You can get it right now for around $35 if you have an Amazon Visa card:

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Fremry posted:

Fremry posted:

Don't have an Amazon Visa, but I just used my Prime account and got Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros U and a charging station for less than $100 :)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Suspicious Cook posted:

This made me go watch the cartoon. It actually is pretty good. The episodes are really short so they don't wear out their welcome and the jokes are just the right type of dumb. I love how Eggman is more a nuisance than an actual villain.

So he's the Ice King now?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

To all of you who set me straight on controller stuff last night: thanks so much!

So I'm going to get the following since I currently have 1 Gamepad and 1 Wiimote Plus w Nunchuk

1 Wiimote Plus w nunchuk
1 classic controller to go into the nunchuk port on one of those guys
1 WiiU Pro controller (because I hate the wiimote)

This will give me 4 controllers for WiiU games and 2 controllers for Wii games. Hooray!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rynn posted:

Don't have an Amazon Visa, but I just used my Prime account and got Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros U and a charging station for less than $100 :)

Don't you just love Prime?

Also, does anyone know where to get another Gamepad charger? I'm not too worried about 3rd party chargers if someone can vouch for one. I bought the charging cradle because I wanted to be able to have a charger next to my Wii U and another one on the other side of the room where I play (if battery runs low in the middle of a game), but stupid me, it didn't even cross my mind that the charging cradle uses the one charger included with the Wii U. I could go refurbished on Nintendo for $12.50, but there's another $5 on top of that and it takes them forever to send stuff out.

And finally, just in case no one else had seen it, because I don't remember ever reading it here. The 4th kart in the Mario Kart DLC is the "Tanooki Kart" and just looks like an orange jeep.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The gamepad is not really supposed to anything terribly specific, it can do anything and everything (within the scope of being an independent screen+speakers+inputs) the particular game wants it to. The plain mirroring is simultaneously probably the easiest to sell use case and the most unimaginative use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are there any games that are doing anything cool/innovative with the gamepad screen? Or is all just mirroring or showing the game map?

• Locked thread