Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

gschmidl posted:

Never let it be said that I'm not impartial when schadenfreude is to be had.

My respect for you just quadrupled like the amount of games in Halo MCC with matchmaking issues. Sounds like loving poo poo, and not even the good kind

Seedge posted:

Whereas you could pay 10 bucks and own Peggle 2, forever. The sports game are still last years, aren't they? Many playing last years Madden online these days?

You're. not. loving. getting. it. I don't even know if it's worth trying to explain it to you but like a special ed teacher i'll give it my best shot.

Follow me through this hypothetical.

You wake up today, you want to play BF4 to see if it's still a buggy piece of poo poo. You're options

1. Go buy the game full price in a store. Cost 60 dollars/ 40 pounds.
Added benefits : you can sell it on next week for half the price when you don't like it Negatives: Lose half your money at resale

2. buy the game digitally. Cost 60 dollars/ 40 pounds.
Added benefits : you don't have to move your fat rear end to insert the disc Negatives : no resale

3. Buy the game second hand. Cost 30ish dollars / 20ish pounds. Added benefits :cheaper than retail Negatives : probably previously owned by some sort of gamer : germs.

4. Buy a month of EA access. cost 5 Dollars / 4 pounds per month OR $30/year £20/year
Added benefits. You also get full digital versions of last years Madden and last years Fifa. Need for Speed. Peggle 2 and PVZ: Garden Warfare.
You also get 6 hours early trials for up coming EA games, right now you can try Dragon Age Inquisition, FIfa 15 and Madden 25. Achievements can be earned and progress carries over into the full game if you purchase it.
You also get 10% off all EA digital titles
You also get 10% off EA DLC
New titles added to the vault all the time. We have seen Need for Speed and Garden Warfare added post EA access' birth.
ALl titles are digital so you don't need to move your fat rear end to change disc.

Negatives: It took me ages to type this and No resale value

I hope that helps. It's a ridiculously good deal, 20 for a year is less than I'd pay for a single one of those games (except peggle) and I guarantee you I wouldn't be playing that title in a year anyway. In a year I imagine the resale value on a physical copy of any of those titles would be around 15 dollars MAX.

I will renew my EA access when it subsides in 9 months so I am not worried about losing access to any of those games :shrug:

But yeah, it's a fuckin rip off because........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Crafty posted:

EA used to release free demos. You want to play BF: Hardline on release? You buy it from EA Access, so you get 10% off €70, which is... the monthly fee you paid to have the discount! Yay. Or you can wait eight months to play it!

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Seedge posted:

EA used to release free demos. You want to play BF: Hardline on release? You buy it from EA Access, so you get 10% off €70, which is... the monthly fee you paid to have the discount! Yay. Or you can wait eight months to play it!

You're an idiot.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seedge posted:

EA used to release free demos.

And then they released the demo of Battlefield 1942 which was so good that tons of people just played the free demo forever (and the fact that it ran better than the full version due to not having SecuROM helped) and they've been kicking themselves ever since.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

or you could just borrow the game from a friend like a normal person i dunno

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

univbee posted:

And then they released the demo of Battlefield 1942 which was so good that tons of people just played the free demo forever (and the fact that it ran better than the full version due to not having SecuROM helped) and they've been kicking themselves ever since.

I played that demo for at least 30 hours on PC. I also bought it again when they released it on xbox 360

Seedge posted:

You're reading comprehension is non existent. Please read through my previous post on EA access and try to figure out why saying "EA USED TO RELEASE FREE DEMOS!!@" is not the right come back. I paused sunset overdrive to type all that, you owe me.

Also they didn't release a free demo for madden last year and that was pre EA access! shocking!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The skate 3 demo was that way, it was plenty for me to play into eternity without ever buying the game.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Crafty posted:

I played that demo for at least 30 hours on PC. I also bought it again when they released it on xbox 360

You're reading comprehension is non existent. Please read through my previous post on EA access and try to figure out why saying "EA USED TO RELEASE FREE DEMOS!!@" is not the right come back. I paused sunset overdrive to type all that, you owe me.

Also they didn't release a free demo for madden last year and that was pre EA access! shocking!

I like your schtick and all but what did the English language ever do to you :(

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation
paying 5 dollars for a demo of a demo may seem like a small step back for mankind but its actually a giant leap forward for gamers.

i honestly dont know why MS didnt make their console free with a mandatory 100/year Live subscription. Boners would pay it, and maybe after a couple years MS could afford to send everyone the rest of the RAM it needs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fisheyel83l posted:

paying 5 dollars for a demo of a demo may seem like a small step back for mankind but its actually a giant leap forward for gamers.

i honestly dont know why MS didnt make their console free with a mandatory 100/year Live subscription. Boners would pay it, and maybe after a couple years MS could afford to send everyone the rest of the RAM it needs

They tried that with the 360 and didn't get many takers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

I paused sunset overdrive to type all that, you owe me.

Sounds more like he did you the favour tbh

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

They tried that with the 360 and didn't get many takers.

well sure, if you give people a choice they won't. Who'd pay 5 bucks for a demo if you made it available for free?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I still have that Xbox Lucas Arts Demo Disc they handed out.

However that's not the strangest demo disc that was ever handed out. The Gamecube Resident Evil 4 demo disc contained an entirely different build from the final game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The very first pressing of the Xbox 1 Evolution Demo Disc that had Capcom vs SNK 2 on it accidentally had the full game entirely on it, except for no online play. I still have that.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Crafty posted:

My respect for you just quadrupled like the amount of games in Halo MCC with matchmaking issues. Sounds like loving poo poo, and not even the good kind

You're. not. loving. getting. it. I don't even know if it's worth trying to explain it to you but like a special ed teacher i'll give it my best shot.

Follow me through this hypothetical.

You wake up today, you want to play BF4 to see if it's still a buggy piece of poo poo. You're options

1. Go buy the game full price in a store. Cost 60 dollars/ 40 pounds.
Added benefits : you can sell it on next week for half the price when you don't like it Negatives: Lose half your money at resale

2. buy the game digitally. Cost 60 dollars/ 40 pounds.
Added benefits : you don't have to move your fat rear end to insert the disc Negatives : no resale

3. Buy the game second hand. Cost 30ish dollars / 20ish pounds. Added benefits :cheaper than retail Negatives : probably previously owned by some sort of gamer : germs.

4. Buy a month of EA access. cost 5 Dollars / 4 pounds per month OR $30/year £20/year
Added benefits. You also get full digital versions of last years Madden and last years Fifa. Need for Speed. Peggle 2 and PVZ: Garden Warfare.
You also get 6 hours early trials for up coming EA games, right now you can try Dragon Age Inquisition, FIfa 15 and Madden 25. Achievements can be earned and progress carries over into the full game if you purchase it.
You also get 10% off all EA digital titles
You also get 10% off EA DLC
New titles added to the vault all the time. We have seen Need for Speed and Garden Warfare added post EA access' birth.
ALl titles are digital so you don't need to move your fat rear end to change disc.

Negatives: It took me ages to type this and No resale value

I hope that helps. It's a ridiculously good deal, 20 for a year is less than I'd pay for a single one of those games (except peggle) and I guarantee you I wouldn't be playing that title in a year anyway. In a year I imagine the resale value on a physical copy of any of those titles would be around 15 dollars MAX.

I will renew my EA access when it subsides in 9 months so I am not worried about losing access to any of those games :shrug:

Does Ea have your family at gunpoint

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Haquer posted:

I like your schtick and all but what did the English language ever do to you :(

I like you're schtick two

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

There are a lot of issues with Xbone abd Xbone Live, but I don't think EA Access is one of them. $30/year is a good deal for what you get. If you disagree, I feel like you have to believe that PS+ with it's free games is also a bad deal.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

Bobtista posted:

Sounds more like he did you the favour tbh

He can't help it. He can't turn it off or he'll miss those cool Internet memes the cloud is gonna put in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Halo threads should be used as studies for Stockholm syndrome

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Floridiot posted:

He can't help it. He can't turn it off or he'll miss those cool Internet memes the cloud is gonna put in.

:siren: Remorseful PS4 owner spotted! :siren:

The 'internet memes' is actually just sunset TV from youtube - in game. It's actually pretty cool, it streams into the game world on giant TVs.

But yeah, it's the worst thing to happen to gaming ever!!1

fisheyel83l posted:

well sure, if you give people a choice they won't. Who'd pay 5 bucks for a demo if you made it available for free?

I used to pay £4.99 for demos that came with a magazine attached to them. So did all my friends. :shrug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Crafty posted:

:siren: Remorseful PS4 owner spotted! :siren:

The 'internet memes' is actually just sunset TV from youtube - in game. It's actually pretty cool, it streams into the game world on giant TVs.

But yeah, it's the worst thing to happen to gaming ever!!1

I used to pay £4.99 for demos that came with a magazine attached to them. So did all my friends. :shrug:

LOL if you didn't steal the disc from the cellophane at the grocery store.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if you just wanted the demo why didn't you just rip it off the magazine and nick it

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

Don Lapre posted:

He has bought an Xbone twice now, of course he bought demo discs. He is bad with money.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

if you just wanted the demo why didn't you just rip it off the magazine and nick it

Don Lapre posted:

loving animals

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Crafty posted:

loving animals

But this thread has taught people (actively encouraged, even!) to lie about addresses to avoid paying taxes on their out-of-country purchases. When you stare too deep into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

morallyobjected posted:

But this thread has taught people (actively encouraged, even!) to lie about addresses to avoid paying taxes on their out-of-country purchases. When you stare too deep into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.

If you think buying from a regional store with lower tax and stealing off some old shop keeper are the same thing then you are dumb.

A more apt comparison would be taking the magazine and paying for it buy giving the old lady owner behind the counter less money than you're meant to. Which i still think would be worse. :shrug:

Crafty fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 13, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

If you think buying from a regional store with lower tax and stealing off some old shop keeper are the same thing then you are dumb.

A more apt comparison would be taking the magazine and paying for it buy giving the old lay owner behind the counter less money than you're meant to. Which i still think would be worse. :shrug:

lol old shop keeper, I'm talking sainsburys here bruh

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Crafty posted:

I like you're schtick two

:heysexy::gizz:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also they can get a reimbursement on that poo poo because for all they know it shipped that way

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Crafty posted:

A more apt comparison would be taking the magazine and paying for it buy giving the old lay owner behind the counter less money than you're meant to. Which i still think would be worse. :shrug:

The shopkeeper is less likely to revoke your game licences for tax evasion, too.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

lol old shop keeper, I'm talking sainsburys here bruh

Not so bad then. But they have much better security at those places, you wouldn't pull that poo poo now!

Seedge posted:

The shopkeeper is less likely to revoke your game licences for tax evasion, too.

I'm untouchable motherfucker

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Crafty posted:

A more apt comparison would be taking the magazine and paying for it buy giving the old lady owner behind the counter less money than you're meant to. Which i still think would be worse. :shrug:

I personally feel bad for loving over mr barnes and mr nobles for stealing that ps1 demo cd

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Don Lapre posted:

I personally feel bad for loving over mr barnes and mr nobles for stealing that ps1 demo cd

http://www.wnd.com/2014/05/end-of-the-book-for-barnes-noble/

Think that's unrelated?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

Not so bad then. But they have much better security at those places, you wouldn't pull that poo poo now!

don't believe that, worked in one for christmas cover in uni and the security guards didn't give any shits. at the boots where my friend works they will specifically not apprehend people (we can't do anything until they are outside, oh they're outside? well we didn't see them taking the item from the shelf so we can't really do anything, maybe call the police instead???)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

security guards are terrible at everything unless it involves over the top violence in the rare scenarios they are able/want to/care enough to do something

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

Crafty posted:

The Al Capone of videogames

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
What is everybody's experiences with repair/replacement service for the console? My Xbox One intermittently has a problem reading discs and my warranty will be expiring soon.

I could send my console in for a repair at my expense (you get a prepaid shipping label I believe, just gotta get packaging) and be without the console 14 to 21 business days. When I get it back I won't have to worry about reinstalling all my stuff assuming they only replace the disc drive.

If I do an advanced exchange I pay $15 for expedited shipping along with a $400–$500 credit card hold. But I could get a refurbished unit. I'm probably just paranoid because I do escalations for HTC and work in the behind the scenes and customers will complain about defective replacements and post-repair issues... though this is a different repair center than what Microsoft has. I might just do an advanced exchange... It's been a year since launch so the hardware may be better optimized to not break.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

stux do you hate Mario kart and saints row?

And if it's not you, who was that maniac in the last thread who hated fun and loved mobas? I know it's not fame Douglas...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How bad of a developer do you have to be to be formed specifically to take over Microsoft's flagship series, decide to slap your lovely game together with three good ones (and all the great maps that the last [actually good] developer made) and use it to advertise your game coming out next year and still gently caress it up with how important it is and with all the heavy creative lifting done for you in the last decade by other, competent people.

:lol:

Anim8, stop drawing big blue tits and start slapping your coworkers, thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

What is everybody's experiences with repair/replacement service for the console? My Xbox One intermittently has a problem reading discs and my warranty will be expiring soon.

I could send my console in for a repair at my expense (you get a prepaid shipping label I believe, just gotta get packaging) and be without the console 14 to 21 business days. When I get it back I won't have to worry about reinstalling all my stuff assuming they only replace the disc drive.

If I do an advanced exchange I pay $15 for expedited shipping along with a $400–$500 credit card hold. But I could get a refurbished unit. I'm probably just paranoid because I do escalations for HTC and work in the behind the scenes and customers will complain about defective replacements and post-repair issues... though this is a different repair center than what Microsoft has. I might just do an advanced exchange... It's been a year since launch so the hardware may be better optimized to not break.

Reddit thread: Waited 2 weeks to have it fixed, xbox support sent it back to me like this.

• Locked thread