Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
A FIFA ethics investigation has cleared itself and Qatar of any wrongdoing, but has castigated the England 2018 bid team for damaging FIFA's image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'd never heard of Dapper Laughs till he was in the news everywhere all the time. I suspect he would have just quietly faded away if the news hadn't ran with it so hard, and he would have had much less exposure.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Saki posted:

I'd never heard of Dapper Laughs till he was in the news everywhere all the time. I suspect he would have just quietly faded away if the news hadn't ran with it so hard, and he would have had much less exposure.

Well if you've never heard of him then that means nobody heard of him, arbiter of youth culture that you are.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Exactly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

One morbidly obese child is a tragedy. Middlesbrough is a statistic.

I'm having a parmo this Saturday.

Though we're far from the fattest tbf.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Kinda weird that the poorest and richest boroughs in London intermingle at the bottom of the list, and it suggests that it's not just as simple as a poor=fat correlation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Kinda weird that the poorest and richest boroughs in London intermingle at the bottom of the list, and it suggests that it's not just as simple as a poor=fat correlation.

Theres probably a correlation between the amount of physical effort they go to each year though. As in, not much.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Does anyone have a breakdown of the state pensions bit on these tax reports? What I am wanting to find out is how much is me paying into mine and how much is me paying for work shy old wankers.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This Milliband speech seems pretty good, I look forward to seeing a bunch of pictures of him eating

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Needless to say I live in the slimmest local authority

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pissflaps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8KTjq6ejc

I'm surprised there's such a difference between Basildon and Southend tbh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

Needless to say I live in the slimmest local authority

Do you miss your mam?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Maybe because getting to places in the city is different to in the countryside? My brother lives in Suffolk and his commute is "walk outside flat, get into car, park outside office, walk indoors and sit down" where mine in London is a fantastic roulette of busses, national rail and the underground (all with stairs and things to climb).

I think you become more pedestrian if you live in the city too, like I'll walk 15 minutes to avoid getting the bus and so on. So it's probably people getting non-exercise exercise, if you get what I mean?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

My hometown (and old school!) doesn't seem to be getting very good press lately - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11218551/Jihadi-terror-plots-the-High-Wycombe-connection.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Maybe because getting to places in the city is different to in the countryside? My brother lives in Suffolk and his commute is "walk outside flat, get into car, park outside office, walk indoors and sit down" where mine in London is a fantastic roulette of busses, national rail and the underground (all with stairs and things to climb).

I think you become more pedestrian if you live in the city too, like I'll walk 15 minutes to avoid getting the bus and so on. So it's probably people getting non-exercise exercise, if you get what I mean?

Yeah, although I think variety and availability of local shops is also a factor. Basildon and Thurrock, which are both basically London bedroom towns and fairly affluent by most measures, are really high on the list - but both are nasty post-war developments with almost no local shops (Basildon has one of those horrible 70s pedestrianised centres, Thurrock has Lakeside) meaning that people are basically never walking anywhere for anything, they have to drive or get the bus to the shops - that and the long commute times people living there have probably means one big weekly shop and loads of convenience foods.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

RGS has had a toxic atmosphere for decades, I'm not really suprised that students make easy pickings for radicalisation. I mean previous staff have included pedophiles, a international conman and a headmaster that was stupid enough to let people take photos of him wearing women's clothing, snorting cocaine with sex workers... but because it's a grammar school everyone always brushes complaints under the carpet.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TinTower posted:

A FIFA ethics investigation has cleared itself and Qatar of any wrongdoing, but has castigated the England 2018 bid team for damaging FIFA's image.

The cynic in me wonders if everyone gives little 'gifts' to the committee, but as the FA dared to break ranks, their own paltry efforts get paraded around. I'm sure there's a classic mafia trick like this, you get all your marks to do something a little bit dodgy, so if they complain when you do something very dodgy then you can hang em out to dry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OzyMandrill posted:

I'm sure there's a classic mafia trick like this, you get all your marks to do something a little bit dodgy, so if they complain when you do something very dodgy then you can hang em out to dry.
Yeah, I think that's how you get to be chairman of the Co-Op.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OzyMandrill posted:

The cynic in me wonders if everyone gives little 'gifts' to the committee, but as the FA dared to break ranks, their own paltry efforts get paraded around. I'm sure there's a classic mafia trick like this, you get all your marks to do something a little bit dodgy, so if they complain when you do something very dodgy then you can hang em out to dry.

It's not that cynical to believe given that there's proof of 'outside advisers' giving gifts to Federation Presidents on behalf of completely separate to the Qatar bid.

Russia couldn't give evidence because they've forgotten their gmail passwords.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

Yeah, the Aussies seem to be being hung out to dry too. Surprise, surprise, they cooperated fully with the investigator, whereas "exonerated" Russia didn't cooperate.

Time for the English FA to withdraw from FIFA, I'm sure there's a few other FAs that would join a new federation to be free of Blatter and co.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

Yeah, the Aussies seem to be being hung out to dry too. Surprise, surprise, they cooperated fully with the investigator, whereas "exonerated" Russia didn't cooperate.

Time for the English FA to withdraw from FIFA, I'm sure there's a few other FAs that would join a new federation to be free of Blatter and co.

The England team aren't even that profitable a proposition for the FA compared to the Premiership, but leaving FIFA would almost certainly lead to UEFA kicking them out so no more Champions League and that will never be allowed to happen.

There was some hope, when Platini first took over UEFA, that UEFA might end up withdrawing en masse from FIFA, which would utterly destroy them. He's been well and truly absorbed into the FIFA high life now (to the point where he's refusing to give back the Rolex he got bribe gift he got from the Brazillian FA.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HortonNash posted:

Like gently caress would the top Prem clubs do anything to damage that sweet, sweet Champions' League money

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Good news is that the investigator has publicly called the published findings bullshit and thrown fifa into crisis mode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

serious gaylord posted:

Good news is that the investigator has publicly called the published findings bullshit and thrown fifa into crisis mode.

That pretty much had to happen. How FIFA thought they could say "the people who gave us bribes are entirely innocent and the people who called us out for taking bribes deserve censure" without raising alarms I will never know. Such brass neck.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

This is some entertaining trainwreck. They honestly thought they'd get away with this bullshit and the investigator is not having it.

*gets out some popcorn*

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spuckuk posted:

A Banana has almost as much sugar as a Mars Bar.

there's a massive difference between the sugars in poo poo like high fructose corn syrups in drinks and food, also refined processed sugars vs naturally occurring sugars in fruit.

if you think there's no difference between eating a banana and a mars bar then you're a loving idiot frankly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sucrose is sucrose.
Fructose is fructose.

Whether it comes from a banana or canned processed pork brain doesnt matter to your gut where everything has already been homogenized twice over.

And the difference between the mars bar and a banana is the fat content. Where the bananas has next to no fat the mars bar has saturated fat. In all ways the sugar they provide is functionally exactly the same where digestion is concerned.

And 'Refined Processed Sugar' is naturally occuring, its just purified into pure sugar so your mars bar doesnt taste like golden syrup or molasses.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 13, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

JFairfax posted:

there's a massive difference between the sugars in poo poo like high fructose corn syrups in drinks and food, also refined processed sugars vs naturally occurring sugars in fruit.

Is there?

While there are some small benefits to Organic Food or Natural Sugar, most of the nutritionist information I can find says they're really not that different and it's more about getting a balanced diet than how natural the food in your diet is. Processed food is bad for you because a lot of salt or sugar is added to it, not because it's processed. A banana is better for you than a Mars Bar because a Banana has Vitamins and Fiber on top of that sugar, while a Mars bar is pretty much just sugar and fat.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Rolled Cabbage posted:

RGS has had a toxic atmosphere for decades, I'm not really suprised that students make easy pickings for radicalisation. I mean previous staff have included pedophiles, a international conman and a headmaster that was stupid enough to let people take photos of him wearing women's clothing, snorting cocaine with sex workers... but because it's a grammar school everyone always brushes complaints under the carpet.

I was there for all of that. Good times. We got very good results though!

Saki fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 13, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

if you think there's no difference between eating a banana and a mars bar then you're a loving idiot frankly.

Are there any products in the UK that use HFCS though? I thought HFCS overuse in the US was a symptom of the ridiculous subsidies that Maize growers get and the need to find something profitable to do with the glut of Maize, and the UK lacking that kind of Maize overproduction and the cheapness of homegrown sugarbeet means that good old sucrose is far cheaper and more plentiful, no?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JFairfax posted:

Like bollocks there is.

Fans posted:

Is there?

While there are some small benefits to Organic Food or Natural Sugar, most of the nutritionist information I can find says they're really not that different and it's more about getting a balanced diet than how natural the food in your diet is. Processed food is bad for you because a lot of salt or sugar is added to it, not because it's processed. A banana is better for you than a Mars Bar because a Banana has Vitamins and Fiber on top of that sugar, while a Mars bar is pretty much just sugar and fat.

What Fans said. I'm not a fan of junk food myself (Monster Munch excepted), but if you eat an all fruit diet you'd still have your teeth falling out of your head.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

HortonNash posted:

Are there any products in the UK that use HFCS though? I thought HFCS overuse in the US was a symptom of the ridiculous subsidies that Maize growers get and the need to find something profitable to do with the glut of Maize, and the UK lacking that kind of Maize overproduction and the cheapness of homegrown sugarbeet means that good old sucrose is far cheaper and more plentiful, no?

Most fruit contains between 40-55% fructose and the rest glucose.
Sucrose is 50/50 fructose/glucose.
Most HFCS is 55/45 fructose/glucose.

So on the face of it there is not a huge amount of difference. Which type of sugar is worse for you (glucose or fructose) depends who you ask. In truth the amount matters a lot more than they type of sugar though. Whether it comes from fruit or sucrose or HFCS, we all eat way too much simple carbohydrates.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HortonNash posted:

but if you eat an all fruit diet you'd still have your teeth falling out of your head.

Well yes, we are british.

I don't think anyone is advocating a diet based exclusively on fruits

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Well, Steve Jobs tried it. Didn't do him a lot of good.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Well yes, we are british.

I don't think anyone is advocating a diet based exclusively on fruits

Hey mate, I didn't say any of that.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Ditto for Frankenstein's monster and Idi Armin.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
wait, what the gently caress, I was trying to quote

Spuckuk posted:

I'm not a fan of junk food myself (Monster Munch excepted), but if you eat an all fruit diet you'd still have your teeth falling out of your head.

not sure what happened there HortonNash, didn't mean to put words (or unwanted sugars) into your mouth!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBt3fr5viAE

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
First Julien, now Dapper....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

This completed passed me by until I heard people were celebrating it was cancelled. He seems to be saying it was like the pub landlord where it was mocking the people who ended up liking it, but looking at the live show clip that looks a bit bollocks. Any thoughts?

The beginning of the interview he doesn't come across in the best way though -

"Do you think what you say promotes rape?"
"We were really popular with a certain audience."

• Locked thread