Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've been playing games with goons since 2003, this has definitely been the most anger and drama I've seen so far. I didn't play Darkfall though, I hear that one wasn't pleasant either.

With an increase in goons, a lot of us lose that "tight-knit" feel we used to feel in goon guilds. Maybe it was just me though. I have noticed in a few games that people that ran poo poo in other games would come into a new game with a sort of expectation that the pecking order would remain the same. I frankly couldn't care less who "runs" poo poo, as long as people are having fun and we're creating content for one another. Maybe that isn't the reason for drama here either.

I think its a few different things maybe. As the average goon is getting older, we have full time jobs and responsibilities, and choosing to use AA to take up our free time is an investment. If people are causing your investment of time to not be worthwhile, I expect people to leave or go with other likeminded's to achieve whatever it is they're looking to get out of the game. Some people don't have the patience to deal with others.

It could be the increasing hostility I see on the internet in general these days, zero empathy and echo chambers. Could be the young vs the old. The casuals vs the tryhards. Blacks and whites. Jews and gentiles. Christians and atheists. It could be a lot of things.

I agree with a lot of these points, especially speculation about an overall attitude shift on the internet, but maybe that's just the coloring of old-tinted glasses looking back on the Golden Age when petty nerd drama was fresher, funnier, and being hashed up the first time around which made it seem fresher, funnier, and less like a tired internet meme/trope/honkhonk-whatever. It is nice that there are still people welcoming new players and finding enjoyment in the game.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Having given it some thought, I know why everyone was angry and Goon Squad imploded. The answer is fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, finally hit 22/0 on thunderstruck trees. I have turned this into my personal battle, a war to out-Korea Korea. Neither side is giving up. I will continue to plant rumbling trees and they will continue to not give me lightning strikes. ArcheAge balance will be maintained.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Experienced our first scrubbed Fun Run today. Fittingly, it happened because we were super, super greedy and testing the limits of what we could do in a single run. This time we attempted to load not one but two merchant boats, giving people enough hold space to make and load five packs each.

Turns out the difference between loading 2-3 packs and 5 packs each is huge. When you loiter that long on site, you attract an actual fighting force. Over 30 Genocide rickrolled us right as we pulled out to leave - they had had sufficient time to stage, spec for stealth, ball up, and jump us right as we finished loading. Was still great fun overall, though, and since we got intercepted on-site, now they have to deal with having a bunch of packs in their hands to turn in. If they're smart, they'll turn them into Cinderstone peace for gilda, but if they turn them into money or resources, I'm completely okay with this - Mahadevi packs are so goddamned criminally cheap to make that I'll take the 20% crafter's cut and not feel too bad about it.

Back-to-back Fun Runs are definitely still a thing, though. Everyone assumes that once the ship sails, that's the end of it, right, alarms off, they're gone already, right?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

atlas of bugs posted:

is this the typical experience for goons in online video games?

No and a little yes.

The leadership issues/changes at the launch = not typical. Normally the leadership burns out a couple of months in.

The Thread making GBS threads and stupid goons that couldn't resist taking the troll bait = not typical. Normally a game thread has players that play the game bitching and theory crafting, this one was full of people playing Somethingawful.

The tryhards vs the "watch the world burn" goons = typical. Usually the goon leadership keeps a lid on this, or tries to focus the energy of the two groups to some constructive end. Since there was a leadership vacuum this got a little out of control.

Asian grind game burnout = typical. Any game that has a ever increasing grind to the get the next +1 hat, will result in a lot of goons going off to the next thing once they hit the wall.

The amount of butthurt in this game = not typical. Normally skins are a little thicker, not sure why so many people "raged" over stupid poo poo.

I always try to play with goons in most games, and I always have fun. Even with all the drama in this game I am still having a good time.

It's just a video game.

Digits on the internets.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Dahn posted:

It's just a video game.

Digits on the internets.

i dont buy it, wicked guy :colbert:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm way more casual with MMOs than I used to be, thanks to having 2 kids home with me all day. But the pattern I think I see is that the same leadership will get recycled from one MMO to the next, when we should instead be considering new leadership in the weeks prior to a game's release.

Have you been playing another game with a guy that's not in a leadership role, but puts in more than his fair share of work for the benefit of a goon guild while showing no signs of burnout? Recommend him for a leadership role in an upcoming MMO.

Perhaps the same people getting power and the best gear/items handed to them first in several games isn't the right way to go. If we hadn't gone with a guild leader to begin with that swept pedo poo poo under the rug to allow his friend in, maybe the guild would be in better shape today. All of the threadshitting was what people deserved for allowing certain people to become leaders in this game.

Also, the amount of whining from fishing goons about getting engaged in PvP in a PvP game was just loving ridiculous. They all left the guild and probably get killed even more while fishing now (if they're even playing the game).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ruffz posted:

All of the threadshitting was what people deserved for allowing certain people to become leaders in this game.

strong yes

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Charles Bukowski posted:

With an increase in goons, a lot of us lose that "tight-knit" feel we used to feel in goon guilds.

"We can't be a huge racist sexist anti-semitic misogynist and generally hugely casually bigoted circlejerk anymore :qq:"

If you're one of those gamers that uses the words "bitch", "human being", or "rape" casually you are the worst thing about online gaming and should stop playing entirely until you can grow up past a 12 year old boy's level of edginess.

Maybe there wouldn't be so much drama if people could stop being abusive creepy shitheels over the internet constantly.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 13, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im pretty sure he wasn't saying that tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I read about this game in the eve-o thread, and figured I'd come and see what all the fuss is

ruffz posted:

guild leader to begin with that swept pedo poo poo under the rug
:yikes:

I wanted to know more. I don't want to any longer. Thanks thread, voted 5.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I miss the days of Goontangclan in Wushu, that was a good Goon group.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

angerbot posted:

I miss the days of Goontangclan in Wushu, that was a good Goon group.

That was the most fun terrible game I've ever played

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Eonwe posted:

im pretty sure he wasn't saying that tho

Well that's what SA was back then so?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Extra posted:

:ssh:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eonwe posted:

That was the most fun terrible game I've ever played

Easily exploited air dash mechanics, a puke skill that makes people drunk, the ability to learn other classes' skills, hidden quests with more obscure requirements than Pokemon hoaxes. Good times, shame Snail was so bad at managing it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Extra posted:

im pretty sure he was just saying that in past goon guilds he has been in there has been more of a feeling of being at least civil to other goons

that definitely wasnt the case in archeage

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I've met some really cool gamers here from the AA thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got a cool av because of this thread

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Widestancer posted:

I've met some really cool gamers here from the AA thread.

I didn't get to post in the thread before it went gold, but congratulations on your marriage, my wife (soundboard on SA) and I wish you two all the best. The world needs more gamer couples.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
BBG & Widestancer for cutest forum couple

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

BBG & Widestancer for cutest forum couple

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Eonwe posted:

BFM & Widestancer for cutest forum couple

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any European players in any of the goon guilds? I've been playing the game on an EU server and having fun but maybe playing with goons would be even more fun.

Also why are so many people bitching about this game? The forums and reddit are almost exclusively complaints, but the game seems pretty laid back and fun to me.

Notapipe
Apr 4, 2011

100% Self-Loathing Posting

Is there an good guides on the ships in this game, I can't find a good one. Also, is it worth it to go pirate?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Eonwe posted:

im pretty sure he was just saying that in past goon guilds he has been in there has been more of a feeling of being at least civil to other goons

that definitely wasnt the case in archeage

past tense....

but i still have thousands of funbux left to spend... :smithcloud:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eruonen posted:

Also why are so many people bitching about this game? The forums and reddit are almost exclusively complaints, but the game seems pretty laid back and fun to me.

This is normal. Probably doubly so for an MMO. I've been playing guild wars 2 on and off since release and a lot of eve-o back in the day, and in during my time playing there's not one time I remember where someone isn't complaining about the game dying or whatever, because of something they don't like about it.

If you're having fun, play. It's as simple as that. My prediction is that in about a year or so AA will be a glorious game to play (it's new, some things don't work perfectly yet, go figure), and a year of headstart in an MMO is huge :v:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
The best part about Hasla is shoving out a group that both outnumbers and outgears you by first forcing them to purple up on you because they're non-Hierophant scrubs (Hierophant = master tagger race, win every mob and enrage the zergs), then repeatedly report their bloodstains as "BREAKING THE FISHING PACT" "STEALING FISH" "FISH THIEF" until they go to jail.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that wasn't too bad today. Hasla is never as bad as I remember it, it just takes a while.

Whisper Bukowski in game for all your tailoring needs.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Truga posted:

My prediction is that in about a year or so AA will be a glorious game to play (it's new, some things don't work perfectly yet, go figure), and a year of headstart in an MMO is huge :v:

That'd be nice, but it's hard to look into the future when all a lot of us can see is the login count going down every single day. We've dropped from nearly 200 people online on weekday mornings shortly after launch to barely above 30 right now. The population numbers were bleeding prior to the Auroria release last week, but the Auroria/Thunderstruck debacle seemed to open the floodgates for people quitting. The new WoW expansion coming out today is certainly another blow, since I recall seeing several goons saying AA was just something to do until the WoD launch. I've experienced so many MMO collapses over the years and I hope this game recovers, but poor decisions made by XL/Trion aren't helping right now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was all for thunderstrucks being more common, but putting saplings in an RNG lockbox was just loving dumb and an obvious cash grab

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ruffz posted:

poor decisions made by XL/Trion aren't helping right now.

Eonwe posted:

I was all for thunderstrucks being more common, but putting saplings in an RNG lockbox was just loving dumb and an obvious cash grab
Ouch.

e: Well, I've never played an MMO that has not enough players before, but I can imagine that would suck.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Unguided posted:

Easily exploited air dash mechanics, a puke skill that makes people drunk, the ability to learn other classes' skills, hidden quests with more obscure requirements than Pokemon hoaxes. Good times, shame Snail was so bad at managing it.

Check the wushu thread for info on the new mmo, wushu 3.0

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I was growing over 40 trees at a time, and it was kind of a shock to hear that suddenly thunderstrucks were going to be worth 20% of what they had been. So then I had a moment where I said to myself "I have no loving idea what to do with my land now, should I even keep playing?" I ended up choosing to keep playing and now I use the land for grapevines, chicken coops and honey larders for trade packs that I run once or twice a day with my wagon. I still log in daily, but that'll probably change as soon as some new MMO catches my eye.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ruffz posted:

I was growing over 40 trees at a time, and it was kind of a shock to hear that suddenly thunderstrucks were going to be worth 20% of what they had been. So then I had a moment where I said to myself "I have no loving idea what to do with my land now, should I even keep playing?" I ended up choosing to keep playing and now I use the land for grapevines, chicken coops and honey larders for trade packs that I run once or twice a day with my wagon. I still log in daily, but that'll probably change as soon as some new MMO catches my eye.

Yeah, I think I stopped logging in as soon as I heard about this. Again, I'm all for ways to make thunderstrucks more common, but for them to just trash the already existing economy in the game for a quick buck kind of ruined the experience for me. Some players were holding on to their thunderstrucks for Auroria because new plans called for them. Thats a really good idea and should be encouraged in the economy. Then suddenly without warning they just add in items that make them far cheaper and easier to get.

It makes me wonder what other currently expensive item they are just going to add to the game for purchase and just trash the price on. I'm not mad about it and I got my money's worth, but I probably won't be buying anything from Trion in the future because the way they are handling the game has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Repopulation is where it's at.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

ruffz posted:

That'd be nice, but it's hard to look into the future when all a lot of us can see is the login count going down every single day. We've dropped from nearly 200 people online on weekday mornings shortly after launch to barely above 30 right now. The population numbers were bleeding prior to the Auroria release last week, but the Auroria/Thunderstruck debacle seemed to open the floodgates for people quitting. The new WoW expansion coming out today is certainly another blow, since I recall seeing several goons saying AA was just something to do until the WoD launch. I've experienced so many MMO collapses over the years and I hope this game recovers, but poor decisions made by XL/Trion aren't helping right now.

(CAVEAT EMPTOR: I AM A "NUBLET")
This isn't my area of expertise but...

From just playing on the most populous server(Aranzeb), my "business relevant" observations are:
  • player counts seem to be plummeting,
  • bots are overwhelming (sometimes an entire zone will consist solely of bots, bots and bots and bots filling every leveling area),
  • the otherwise most loyal and hardcore revenue stream players (poopsocks, they are called) feel alienated or disinterested (from only having a month to lord their "hardcore" status over others before the thunderstruck dump, I guess?)
  • all exploration seems to be complete a month in,
  • the PvE content is SM, Cinderstone Castle, GHA, Krakken, Crimson Rift, and Serpentis -- all of which has either been figured out or is just no longer relevant for gear
  • people widely believe hacks to be pervasive, whether they are or aren't
  • the source for every single item upgrade seems to be clearly known? what I mean is, my understanding is that in other MMOs, there is some mystery or wonder(?): plenty of dungeons or raids or pvp competitions might produce a vast array of items for players, right? I am a super casual and even I know the total item table is like, GHA gear, new Auroria gear drops from two-star mobs, Serpentis gear (hard), then Hasla weapons from the same grind as before, and then crafting items and using Regrades to increase Type and using Tempering to increase stat rolls on the same single item template everyone uses.
  • many players are already "Archemasters," meaning they are max level in every single class simultaneously and so probably don't need to roll an alt
  • even if you roll an alt, a huge chunk of the continents are filled with quests nobody will ever use. You hit 50 on your character long before you get to places like Hellswamp, Sanddeep, Karaksse, etc. So, of the limited PvE content out there, much of it is completely wasted.
  • PvP feels fun but I am told MMO players consider it as sub-par? And based mostly on gold buying you one of those above-mentioned crafted items: the one that is the best you can afford, and one-shots less wealthy players.
  • this is how "arenas" work: 5 invis players walking around another 5 invis players, then whichever team has the most geared Primeval (is that the one?) jumps in and one-shots.

I'm going to stop now because that is already more words on MMORPGs than I ever thought I would write, and I can't imagine it is at all insightful given my naivete here, but looking at this product as a layman from only a month in...what is left to keep players on the edge of their seats? What is there to inspire players to stick around and strive for (and keep the subscriptions going)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Widestancer posted:

The Repopulation is where it's at.

goon love is the best love

• Locked thread