Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cryohazard posted:

No. :( Tried it and it doesn't work.

Really? I tried it a few days ago and it totally worked. (pyromaniac + kamikaze)

I guess it wouldn't for ??? since it only heals red hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

watho posted:

The wafer makes all damage you take be just a half heart.

I know, and defensifely I was excellent - I said I didn't get any damage upgrades.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I guess that I was misreading a bunch of stuff. Nevermind me.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I just realized what a great first-floor item Kamikaze would be for The Lost. :getin:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Apparently I am really terrible at this game. I started Womb II with 12 blue hearts and somehow managed to lose all but 3 by the time I got to the boss. When I got down to half a heart in the boss room I had to throw my chaos card, which I was saving for Isaac.

I ended up beating Isaac anyways though, because orbitals are really OP and I had good RNG with the light beams from the sky. Now the D6 is mine!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I just realized what a great first-floor item Kamikaze would be for The Lost. :getin:

Wouldn't using it insta-lose the run or am I missing something?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

watho posted:

Wouldn't using it insta-lose the run or am I missing something?

Exactly.

It'd also be nice if The Lost consumed Eden Tokens.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Why would that be a good thing? Eden tokens are kind of a dumb idea as it is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
This game is such an unholy piece of poo poo sometimes. I get a Blank Card first floor as ??? and I'm like "oh hey cool I'll look for a Hierophant and clone it like mad, yay having actual health!"

I search, for the next four floors, for a loving Hierophant. Nothing, no cards in general. I get a Satan room, fight/kill Krampus, and get his head. Tough choice, but given my luck so far i go with the Head for murdering power.

FIRST ROOM NEXT FLOOR I GET A HIEROPHANT. gently caress YOU GAME. gently caress YOU SO MUCH YOU SPITEFUL rear end in a top hat

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.
hahaha. Earlier today I got a blank card on floor 1 and heirophant on floor 5 as ???. I got relic somewhere in the middle there, a few damage upgrades, death's touch, chocolate milk, the battery, 9-volt, and holy poo poo since when is the chest so easy

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
God I loving hate ??? and his Poop start. Is there some hilariously tricky strategic use of The Poop that I'm missing or is it really just a junk item?

In other news, Gnawed Leaf is probably the most singular OP item in the game *if* you have some form of passive short-range damage: flies,meatboy, etc. You can literally just stand still under Mom's Heart, or Satan's Feet, or whatever and just wait the fight out.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

God I loving hate ??? and his Poop start. Is there some hilariously tricky strategic use of The Poop that I'm missing or is it really just a junk item?

If you get the Petrified Poop trinket, you can make some good money. Otherwise no, it's basically a joke item to emphasize just how bad bluey is.

Unrelated edit: I wish the Double Trouble boss rooms were a little more creative. It'd be "fun" to fight Gurdy Jr. + Gurdy at the same time, or Monstro II + Gish, or Larry Jr + Hollow. Hell, you could even have Dark One randomly crash boss fights halfway through just to be a dick, or have a boss transform into its alter-ego at the end of the fight in exchange for an extra item (so you've finished killing Duke of Flies? Great! Now do The Husk. I bet that Mega Fatty fight was annoying, so you won't want to fight The Cage right away!)

Cryohazard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 13, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can also use poop and a bomb to fill in holes in the ground if there aren't any rocks nearby.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also use poop and a bomb to fill in holes in the ground if there aren't any rocks nearby.

That's actually the best that I got out of The Poop item and possibly the only one that ist the very rare pickup drop.
Well you CAN obstruct paths to be safe from enemies I guess.

Skulls may work too, but I've yet to try that. I'm fairly certain Mushrooms work, though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:psyboom:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Monstro's Lung and Isaac's Tears have a...weird(?) interaction. Having both of them together appears to recharge the Tears infinitely and without even needing to fire. Just charge Monstro's Lung and you'll be able to reuse the Tears every 1-2 seconds.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Anyone else had issues with the monster manual not always giving you a guy?

First I thought maybe it was trying to give me one I already had, but later I just straight up got a duplicate. I'm didn't get anything at all twice though.

Maybe you got something like a fourth pretty fly, which I'm pretty sure just overwrites the old ones.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
KZVY 6PE6

First floor you will get Epic Fetus. Second floor treasure room is nothing special but rerolls into Polyphemus. Great seed for power.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cuntpunch posted:

Monstro's Lung and Isaac's Tears have a...weird(?) interaction. Having both of them together appears to recharge the Tears infinitely and without even needing to fire. Just charge Monstro's Lung and you'll be able to reuse the Tears every 1-2 seconds.
I think this applies to all charge shot-types. Unfortunately isaac's tears won't shoot brimstone everywhere like tammy's head

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Had my first successful run as Samson(on hard), ran all the way through the Lamb. Quad Shot and a lot of damage upgrades were very useful but I also managed to get Holy Mantle + Trinity Shield + Infamy. No hit everything except the Dark Room. Kind of hilarious to do it as Samson though.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 13, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hahaha the run after I had the Hierophant bullshit happen, I got Chaos Card. No Blank Card to go with it, but that was about the most anti-climactic end to a run ever - I'm white-knuckling my way through Cath with no health and bad items, walk into Isaac's room, and Hadouken'd him with it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Wait, what?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Exactly.

It'd also be nice if The Lost consumed Eden Tokens.

that would be terrible and Eden Tokens in general are kinda dumb and are a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, since I've been spacing out my characters, I've beaten Mom's Heart loads and have just been stacking up the tokens, I'll probably never run out. The only thing it really does is stop you from easily restarting, which is kinda annoying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Let's talk about curses, and how to make them better. Basically I want the aspects that are just annoying to be removed.

Curse of Darkness - I don't really like this one. It doesn't actually obscure any information, it just forces you to squint at the screen or turn the monitor brightness up. I think it would be better as a sortof "fog of war" or line of sight style effect, where it does obscure some information but doesn't just make the game harder to look at. I do like the firefly effect though, that's pretty.

Curse of the Labyrinth - I'm basically fine with this. My major complaint about it in the old game (that it made you risk losing an early treasure room if it happened in Basement/Cellar) is now gone. It changes how you explore the level and how mapping effects your gameplan, so I think it's fairly interesting and doesn't lead to any needless annoyance.

Curse of the Lost - mostly just annoying, you can get around it by just making your own map. I think it should make it so you can see explored rooms, but mapping items don't work and you can't see the size of adjacent rooms. That way it retains all the actually relevant parts without the interface screw.

Curse of the Maze - the part where it expands the map is fine. The teleportation can be severely annoying when travelling through explored rooms, I think it should only be able to teleport you to rooms you haven't explored yet (not including the boss room). That way it messes with your exploration plans without making walking to the boss room a slog. It probably shouldn't be able to unlock doors for free either, since you can currently grind to do that.

Curse of the Unknown - the player can keep track of their health themselves so this is simply an interface screw. It should probably be cut, I can't think of any way to salvage it. It only actually does anything in extreme edge cases (floor one Eden and with items like the Experimental Treatment).

Curse of the Blind - this forces the player to make a difficult choice when confronted with items (particularly in shops and devil rooms), and it only causes annoyances in a few rare cases (if you, say, forget which pedestal you put an activated item on). As far as I'm concerned this is a good curse and can stay basically as-is, except it would be nice if items which are definitely one thing (stuff you've put down, guaranteed drops) weren't hidden. Some people might argue it's bad because you can get a "run ruining" item, but a) that's more the fault of the items than the curse and b) you can choose not to take the risk if you don't want to, that's the whole point.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

that would be terrible and Eden Tokens in general are kinda dumb and are a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
There'd be absolutely no point in introducing them for The Lost, but I think the tokens work well with Eden. Without them people would just startscum for a good combo, the token system means that you want to take every Eden run seriously and try to make the best of what you're given.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Eh, I can kind of see the logic behind it. It's a character that can potentially start with some really powerful items, so they didn't want people to just restart over and over and over in order to use it to beat all the bosses and unlock everything. Kind of goofy, but not really a big deal I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Let's talk about curses, and how to make them better. Basically I want the aspects that are just annoying to be removed.

I don't think you understand why they are there in the first place. They're SUPPOSED to be bothersome. Nobody looks at dark levels in Spelunky and goes "oh sweet I can't see poo poo without this torch I hope I get another one of these".

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Without them people would just startscum for a good combo, the token system means that you want to take every Eden run seriously and try to make the best of what you're given.

People would just startscum for a good combo, you're right. But people do that already for every other character who isn't limited by tokens. I just reset if I get something like beans on the first floor with anyone. I find it kind of odd that they chose to fix that kind of start scumming poo poo with just one character.

i mean I don't hate the idea I just find it kinda weird

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

CJacobs posted:

I don't think you understand why they are there in the first place. They're SUPPOSED to be bothersome. Nobody looks at dark levels in Spelunky and goes "oh sweet I can't see poo poo without this torch I hope I get another one of these".

There's a difference between 'oh gently caress , a dark level, gotta be careful and change my strategy', actual increased difficulty, and poo poo that's just annoying, though. He's got the right of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Neopie posted:

There's a difference between 'oh gently caress , a dark level, gotta be careful and change my strategy', actual increased difficulty, and poo poo that's just annoying, though. He's got the right of it.

That sentence applies to all of the curses except maybe curse of the blind because there's no way to know what you're picking up until you do it, so I'm really not sure what you're getting at.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Oh my god, gently caress the Adversary forever.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CJacobs posted:

That sentence applies to all of the curses except maybe curse of the blind because there's no way to know what you're picking up until you do it, so I'm really not sure what you're getting at.

Curse of the Blind forces a strategy change. The strategy of either knowing what item pool you're pulling from and thus how likely it is to be an item that'll gently caress your run, or the strategy of deciding if blindly picking something up is worth the risk.

it's risk management I guess and much of the skill of Isaac is that so it's pretty fitting.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I lost out on Mama's Boy yesterday because of one of those stupid rooms that were just in the chest in the original where the entrances are walled off with red poops. Silver lining, it was still a totally broken Azazel run and I actually got Dead Boy that run~

Also I don't know what it is about shielded tears but as great as the item is I only get it in runs with absolute garbage everywhere else. Bleh.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I love curse of the blind because it's a massive middle finger to the old D6 devil deal meta.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

People would just startscum for a good combo, you're right. But people do that already for every other character who isn't limited by tokens. I just reset if I get something like beans on the first floor with anyone. I find it kind of odd that they chose to fix that kind of start scumming poo poo with just one character.

i mean I don't hate the idea I just find it kinda weird

That's just the line they decided to draw I guess. To be fair the couple of items that Eden starts with make a pretty huge difference compared to just restarting over and over again until you get quad shot or poly or something equally good in the first room. Considering that stuff is unlocked by beating all the bosses over and over, giving people a way to basically get free (as opposed to just very easy) wins/kills would kind of defeat the purpose. And let's be honest, at that point people would just complain that you have to beat the bosses to unlock stuff at all since they can just restart until they get some uber powerful combo.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
There was a dice room on Sheol the 2nd time I ever made it there. I have now killed the Devil more times than Mom's Heart.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what happens if you hold down r while on an eden run with no eden tokens left

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Tollymain posted:

what happens if you hold down r while on an eden run with no eden tokens left

you go back to the title screen

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Curse of Darkness don't do poo poo to me since I have the gamma on 130, though I love the firefly rooms, they look fuckin sweet.

And why retry for a broken Eden run when you have Azazel? Though Eden does have some sweet hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The fear effect is great, no? I picked up Dark Matter and all the enemies hosed right off.