Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, guys, haven't seen much chatter, but how is Constantine?

I quite like it.
It's a bit shaky in spots, but the lead carries the whole thing quite well. They've been able to pull off some pretty cool effects on what I imagine is not much budget. There's quite a few nods to the comics, and even one of the annoying bits (can't show john smoking on a primetime network show) gets subverted in clever ways a lot of the time.

I'd rate it a B right now, with plenty of potential to get better as everyone settles into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

It is good and going to be cancelled.

Yeah, I like it quite a bit, but it's pulling about half the audience Sleepy Hollow was at this point last year. It's probably not long for this life.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Absolutely. TNG worked because it was episodic fun silly stuff. DS9 started taking itself horribly seriously and attempting the most godawful long-running plotline I've seen in science fiction. They also attempted and failed miserably at having shades of grey in this ridiculous, boring, bogged down conflict of theirs. Then the final season had a stupid magic book? It was a living nightmare.

I like you. You have good Star Trek opinions.

I don't see how any one can complain about AoS spinning it's wheels when every episode has built off the last.

Quick - who killed Sarah? What important piece of story did we get from Felicity meeting her mom? How many seasons did it take to finally kill Olicity?

Season 3 Arrow wishes it was Agents of Shield.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's a fine series that does not belong on NBC. It would be in no danger if they had stuck it on CW with the other DC properties.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Heathen posted:

I like you. You have good Star Trek opinions.

Let's not kid ourselves, having opinions about Star Trek is automatically bad. :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Heathen posted:

Nah, Arrow had a boxing glove arrow this season, it is probably going to end up more endearingly entertaining than whatever AoS puts out this year. Which isn't to say that AoS hasn't had a much better 2nd year, it's just that a man shot another man in the face with a boxing glove arrow on tv and that is a thing we have thanks to Arrow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Heathen posted:

Arrow isn't dependent on outside media for whether it should be "good" or not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shield has been consistently much better than any other comic show I've watched this season. It hasn't had a bad episode yet. Flash had one this week and a couple of Arrow episodes have been pretty weak this season. Plus the actors on Shield are for the most part much better than the ones on Flash and Arrow. Flash's and Arrow's highs are better just because they're actual superhero shows and those moments are usually great but Shield is a much stronger show in most other areas including writing and acting.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you're going to play the "which cherry-picked stories/arcs/episodes didn't bring anything interesting to the table" game then AoS is going to lose pretty hard. Hey remember the genius military strategist general guy that AoS spent like 3-4 episodes introducing/developing/unceremoniously killing off? Yeah that was a great use of screentime what an interesting and entertaining story that was.

e: And to be fair, I think AoS season 2 has been fantastic and was pleasantly surprised when they managed to keep the momentum going after season 1's post-TWS episodes finally gave the show some life.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That was a while back though. I mean, it was...so bad, but it was a while back. :shobon:

Arrow this season really has been sitting on its laurels (:haw:). While a lot of individual moments are great, nothing has altogether coalesced into a good story. The most interesting ongoing plot is probably Laurel's slow build training with Ted Grant, but even that's been marred by a lot of choppy, by-the-numbers writing.

It truly is a wintery day in hell that I'm dissing Arrow while defending AoS, and yet here we are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'll be honest, I think my major problem with AoS is that I think that Air force general trying to shut them down is right about SHIELD as a concept. Of course I've always thought that since the first loving Avengers movie, where they apparently had the authority to nuke Manhattan. (I don't want to turn this into an Avengers debate, but since the show is a spin-off of that movie, it's unavoidable).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Skwirl posted:

I'll be honest, I think my major problem with AoS is that I think that Air force general trying to shut them down is right about SHIELD as a concept. Of course I've always thought that since the first loving Avengers movie, where they apparently had the authority to nuke Manhattan. (I don't want to turn this into an Avengers debate, but since the show is a spin-off of that movie, it's unavoidable).

You basically have to ignore that. If Shield was supposed to be some international agency, then Coulson has absolutely zero authority to rebuild it without any kind of international agreement to do so. Seriously, pretty much everything they do is illegal, they are basically a militia.

But it is really kind of pointless to dwell on it, since it will never, ever be addressed in the show anyway. Just like I doubt Flash will deal with the fat that they apparently indefinitely impression people without trial in a dungeon under their headquarters. While it does bug me, but I know it is probably not intentional, so I doubt it will ever become a plot point.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 14, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

More than just the nuke stuff, I just totally understand why a high ranking general in a military organization that's never tried to overthrow it's own government would be leary of the guy who (best case scenario) was deeply embedded in a military organization with far reaching powers, where half of them are literally Nazis, and wasn't able to figure that out until it's too late, including infiltration of his own, personally selected team. And now this deeply untrustworthy guy says he wants to rebuild that organization, personally.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VDay posted:

If you're going to play the "which cherry-picked stories/arcs/episodes didn't bring anything interesting to the table" game then AoS is going to lose pretty hard. Hey remember the genius military strategist general guy that AoS spent like 3-4 episodes introducing/developing/unceremoniously killing off? Yeah that was a great use of screentime what an interesting and entertaining story that was.

Talbot was not killed off and he's no doubt going to be a factor again this season.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hakkesshu posted:

Talbot was not killed off and he's no doubt going to be a factor again this season.

They mean mister eats-his-steak-in-an-empty-warehouse

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think he's talking about the Centipede guy that Raina and co. broke out of prison and ate a steak or something. To be fair I think he was only in two episodes.

e: right, that^

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll go a step further and hope Talbot stays forever. We need more Talbot and Coulson chats. Their scenes together are some of the best parts of AoS this year.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BrianWilly posted:

I think he's talking about the Centipede guy that Raina and co. broke out of prison and ate a steak or something. To be fair I think he was only in two episodes.

e: right, that^

I thought we were talking about season 2. Everyone concedes that most of AoS season 1 was poor and just treading water until Cap 2. Arrow is much better than most of season 1.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ahahaha. It finally happened. A live-action Rainbow Raider on TV!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

I thought we were talking about season 2. Everyone concedes that most of AoS season 1 was poor and just treading water until Cap 2. Arrow is much better than most of season 1.

Yeah, the steak guy is not in season 2, and no one is defending the first season here. Even after the Cap switch I didn't think it was massively improved. Season 2 has been very good, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

Quick - who killed Sarah?

Skye's mother.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never watched the old Hulk TV series (the one with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno), but I saw it on DVD at half-price in a shop recently. What's it like?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metal Loaf posted:

I've never watched the old Hulk TV series (the one with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno), but I saw it on DVD at half-price in a shop recently. What's it like?

Very, very 70s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's afterschool special level writing most of the way through. I was in highschool when that show was on and saw an episode recently. It has not held up well.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Metal Loaf posted:

It's not bad, half price for it on DVD isn't bad either.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

You should really try out the pilot at the least.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, the first season kind of sucks.

In terms of Episodes to watch.

1: Introductions to characters.

5: Introduction to recurring villian/antagonist.

7. Introduction to Inner workings of Hulk, and two important characters for later.

10: Info about how David Banner survived the Gamma Rays.

11: More info about Hulk.

14: Continues the Hulk story, and introduces character who becomes reaaaaal important for the rest of the season.

16 - 22: Watch all these

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The negative buzz around SHIELD has prevented me from trying to watch it, but if it goes on Netflix soon I'll probably give it a chance. I am pretty sad though that it didn't end up continuing the Item 47 one-shot and having Lizzie Caplan in it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

The negative buzz around SHIELD has prevented me from trying to watch it, but if it goes on Netflix soon I'll probably give it a chance. I am pretty sad though that it didn't end up continuing the Item 47 one-shot and having Lizzie Caplan in it.

The negative buzz exists for a reason. On the whole, Season 1 is pretty weak. However, multiple people who have binged watched it have noted in the thread that it is a better watching it that way as compared to watching the first season as it aired, due to the large number of gaps and delays between episodes.

I think someone posted a list of recommended episodes in this thread, and I would definitely recommend hitting those first.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Metal Loaf posted:

It's been a while since I last saw it, but I liked it. Of course, this was back when it was the Sci-Fi channel and it was in a block with Knight Rider. I say, give it a shot, especially with it half-off. It's on Netflix too, if you have that you might want to try it first.

It is super '70's, though, Lurdiak is not wrong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If you already find yourself enjoying TV from the era, you might probably enjoy it. If you hate stuff like Knight Rider, etc, then you probably won't like it. If you've never seen anything from the era then just check out the first couple of episodes because to my knowledge it isn't like the show changes dramatically over its lifespan. You'll either want to keep watching or you won't.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

As has already been mentioned there were a lot of weekly gaps between episodes when it aired originally, which really worked against the show since it was already pretty weak throughout the first half of the season. I think binge watching on Netflix will probably help alleviate that a little bit, but whether or not you find it to be a good show is of course going to be up to personal taste. Personally I liked it despite the issues it had. The complaints certainly aren't unfounded but even when it was being silly or just plain pointless I still thought it was a fun show, which is what kept me watching. If you just take it at face value and have a little patience I think it's worth the watch, but it's not going to stand up to deep critical thought or SMG style analysis. However, once you get past the first half it really does get good. I don't remember the actual episode numbers but, like everyone says, the first episode that aired after the release of Winter Soldier marked the start of the new, improved AoS. The story lines tightened up, the characters gained more personality and better defined motivation and overall the show seemed to become more like the AoS everyone wanted it to be. They've kept it up, too, with strong episodes straight up through the second season and no signs of letting up.

Anyway, just my 2 cents as someone who likes the show. I tend to have some goofy tastes in television though, so take it all with a grain of salt. And I am posting in BSS on a Saturday night (don't judge me man, I'm stuck at work so I've got a legitimate excuse).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

It's on US Netflix this Thursday.

I'd start with either 12 or 16, depending on what you have time for. Just read Wikipedia synopses or whatever before that; watch 6-7 for the best episodes from the first half, if you feel like it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Did AoS ever do a recap episode to catch people up?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Did AoS ever do a recap episode to catch people up?

No. Does anybody actually like those things?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

notthegoatseguy posted:

The second episode of the Clerks cartoon was pretty great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

When stuff like that happens anymore it always does it outside of the actual show. Like the network will just air a special and it won't be counted as an episode.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

muscles like this? posted:

When stuff like that happens anymore it always does it outside of the actual show. Like the network will just air a special and it won't be counted as an episode.

I'm pretty sure Arrow did one in between seasons 1 and 2 right? I'm thinking it was something like a 5-10 minute quick overview of all the important points, but I could be wrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Havoc904 posted:

I'm pretty sure Arrow did one in between seasons 1 and 2 right? I'm thinking it was something like a 5-10 minute quick overview of all the important points, but I could be wrong.

Yep and it was hosted by Barrowman :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Harvey "I am a hero" Dent will be on tonight's episode of Gotham. Let's have a drink for every time the words "two" and "face" come up in conversation.