Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Otacon posted:

Holy poo poo, is this... THE END OF THE LINE?????

That picture need to be updated to show CONGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If we're getting the crate now, the update must be a month away at the most, right?

What's been the longest span of time between a crate dropping and being unable to unlock it?

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
The Robocrate took about 3 and a half weeks to open.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

What are some maps played in competitive that are popular with everyone? I picked up a server for my team to use for scrims and matches but I'm leaving it open the rest of the time, with nocrit/nospread/etc and a rotation of comp maps. So far I just started with the UGC list from this season and added a few I enjoyed in lobbies, and arranged them so that there's no one map type twice in a row.

quote:

koth_pro_viaduct_rc4
pl_badwater
koth_lakeside_final
cp_steel
pl_barnblitz_pro4
cp_gullywash_final1
koth_ramjam_b8b
cp_process_final
pl_upward
cp_granary
ctf_turbine_pro_rc1
cp_badlands

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

We're getting a LOT of TF2 stuff around now. End of the Line, the inevitable christmas update (though maybe those two things will be combined?), whenever they get around to "releasing" that moon-base game mode and Cactus Canyon.
Maybe Valve is upping their game because they anticipate competition from Overwatch? TF2 has had pretty much solo reign over the team arena shooter segment for a while.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

All of those things have been in development waaaay before Overwatch was even hinted at.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Collateral Damage posted:

Maybe Valve is upping their game because they anticipate competition from Overwatch? TF2 has had pretty much solo reign over the team arena shooter segment for a while.

Hasn't END OF THE LINE been talked about for almost a year now?

Volty
Jul 25, 2013
I'm actually more convinced that Valve focuses on this game only about 1/3 to half the year and just focuses those resources elsewhere after all the Christmas stuff is over.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Roflex posted:

What are some maps played in competitive that are popular with everyone? I picked up a server for my team to use for scrims and matches but I'm leaving it open the rest of the time, with nocrit/nospread/etc and a rotation of comp maps. So far I just started with the UGC list from this season and added a few I enjoyed in lobbies, and arranged them so that there's no one map type twice in a row.

I only have a bunch of 5cp recommendations but here goes:

cp_logjam is a decent map in development that's seeing competitive play in ETF2L. It's not quite a finished map yet but here's the current beta version if you're interested.

cp_sunshine made for some good games last season in ESEA too, 6s only though. Technically it's still in development but it's pretty much finished now.

Could always put cp_snakewater on the rotation too if you're a fan of that.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

The crate is filled with rubber duckies. The EOTL-map had a lot of ducks in one of the spawns, and the trailer had pyro sitting in a kiddie-pool with a duck.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sad to see trainsawlaser getting no love from the comp circuit :saddowns:

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

sad to see trainsawlaser getting no love from the comp circuit :saddowns:

I can promise you that there will have been more koth_trainsawlaser lobbies hosted on TF2Lobby (RIP) and TF2Center than you or me could ever expect.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh god, never ever play Snakewater outside 6s. Last UGC my team played it in Highlander and the thing lasted nearly two hours of back and forth, back and forth, and everyone including the other team groaned so hard. It is a terrible map to play with more than six players.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

It's funny, it can be absolutely god awful in Highlander but still a solid enough map for loving around on pubs. If the teams are coordinated enough, the last point can be hell on earth to push in or out of though, yeah.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Zero! posted:

I only have a bunch of 5cp recommendations but here goes:

cp_logjam is a decent map in development that's seeing competitive play in ETF2L. It's not quite a finished map yet but here's the current beta version if you're interested.

cp_sunshine made for some good games last season in ESEA too, 6s only though. Technically it's still in development but it's pretty much finished now.

Could always put cp_snakewater on the rotation too if you're a fan of that.

Yeah I was mainly looking for maps that are popular in 6s/HL, but would also play (relatively) well in a 12v12 pub free-for-all. Which I'm not sure half of my rotation will even work like that, but we'll see how it goes.

The server is up and running at tf2.pastecase.net:27015, and I'm trying to get it populated tonight.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's really not much you can do with it except minicrit heavy. I tried Scattergun-Pistol-BFB scout but I didn't get the boost meter. Maybe you can pull out your glitched 2nd primary by running out of ammo on your other weapons?

Soda Popper and BFB share a boost meter, so try that instead.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I know it's not too popular, but I really like the 5cp version of Gorge. The final forward spawns are so far forward, that stalemates rarely happen after one team owns 4 points, even on full-server engineer-heavy messes. It's just a terrible map for turtling sentries in general, which makes my Voodoo-Cursed Scout Soul happy.

EDIT: This is absolutely not meant as a suggestion for Roflex, by the way. I'm just thinking about this because I played a lot of 5-Gorge on Valve servers last night. It's a good map for soothing the ills of public servers, I don't necessarily recommend it outside of that context.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 14, 2014

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

I know it's not too popular, but I really like the 5cp version of Gorge. The final forward spawns are so far forward, that stalemates rarely happen after one team owns 4 points, even on full-server engineer-heavy messes. It's just a terrible map for turtling sentries in general, which makes my Voodoo-Cursed Scout Soul happy.

EDIT: This is absolutely not meant as a suggestion for Roflex, by the way. I'm just thinking about this because I played a lot of 5-Gorge on Valve servers last night. It's a good map for soothing the ills of public servers, I don't necessarily recommend it outside of that context.

I completely forgot that existed and I love the 5cp version. Might be a good fit after all.

We're doing a turbine event tomorrow night starting 7pm EST and running highlander mode on the rotation all day Saturday.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well they already fixed the bug in a patch soooo probably too late. Good call though!

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
I just remembered how terrible Snowplow (the map for the end of the line update) is :negative:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's been mentioned that this was fixed, but wouldn't you just pretty much instantly drain your magic flying powers as every jump after the frist would remove 25% from the BFB's downside if it worked?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
CP_gorge is ok, CP_5gorge is miserable.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Pickle dicker posted:

I just remembered how terrible Snowplow (the map for the end of the line update) is :negative:

end of the line was a neat SFM short. They should have kept it as that and just made it longer. The whole thing spiraling into an update is like a TF2 version of a bad kickstarter project. (i'll start the wiki). Shame.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The box is full of bonus ducks :colbert:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dely Apple posted:

The box is full of bonus ducks :colbert:

"BONUS DUCKS" noisemaker please!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Dos posted:

It's been mentioned that this was fixed, but wouldn't you just pretty much instantly drain your magic flying powers as every jump after the frist would remove 25% from the BFB's downside if it worked?

Since you couldn't gain boost with the BFB in the melee slot, I would guess you get one boost gathering mechanic, but not both. Honestly the Babyfaced Popper doesn't sound all that overpowered; it would be an interesting unlock.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Fishbus posted:

end of the line was a neat SFM short. They should have kept it as that and just made it longer. The whole thing spiraling into an update is like a TF2 version of a bad kickstarter project. (i'll start the wiki). Shame.

I think the people making the short aren't the same as the people who are making the map or the items, though. It's just become a community update type deal.

I feel like they should stick the map on the valve beta map servers though, and actually playtest it properly. That did wonders for RD_asteroid.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

I really like the idea of the heavy dual wielding pistols.

That should just become a new primary for the heavy.. allowing slot one to dual wield whatever weapon is in slot two. Then of course allow the heavy to equip the pistol.

They'd have to redo all the animations which means it'll never happen, unless they could outsource it to Steam Workshop.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Is that boxcar-crate... full of... potatos?

Anyway, neat! I'm really stoked for this event, more than most TF2 things for some reason.

We're getting a LOT of TF2 stuff around now. End of the Line, the inevitable christmas update (though maybe those two things will be combined?), whenever they get around to "releasing" that moon-base game mode and Cactus Canyon.

Also match-making and spy vs engineer.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 14, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Do you think they'll actually do a post mortem on the halloween event? I'd really like to read it.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Fishbus posted:

As long as we get more fashionable winter coats for all the classes, the update will be a success in my eyes. :colbert:

Hopefully they managed to make the weapon ideas that they came up with work.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I was thinking about one of the major critiques of modern TF2: the surprise loadout slot. You see a Spy and it's impossible to tell if they have a Dead Ringer, you see a Scout and you can't tell what their HP is (or how fast they go in some circumstances), you see a Heavy and you can't tell if he's a Sandvich Heavy or an idiot, etc. The more loadout options you have, the harder knowing their capabilities is.

Given that you can already pretty much can force the functionality through spectating or Spy disguises, would it be that bad if you could see the other team's loadouts? Keep Tab as it is, add a super scoreboard option that lets you inspect the other team, maybe?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I hope the short itself is decent enough. Not expecting too much out of the update itself, but I'm kind of worried the short may have been overhyped.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is Spy vs Engineer confirmed or just people going through the patch files? Personally I'm hoping they are secret codenames for the 100% more exciting Scout vs Heavy :unsmigghh:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I can see the game being unplayable if they encourage people to pick either engie or spy. Imagine teams with 6 spies and 5 engies, loving hell.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I can see the game being unplayable if they encourage people to pick either engie or spy. Imagine teams with 6 spies and 5 engies, loving hell.

Engineer versus Spy: Whoever loses, Demo wins :unsmigghh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Engineer versus Spy: Whoever loses, Demo wins :unsmigghh:

Or the teamwork dream team: Snipers, Pyros, and Medic+ Demos.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't it used to be that minicrits also caused the mittens to make a target laugh? This seems to no longer be the case.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

CoolCab posted:

I was thinking about one of the major critiques of modern TF2: the surprise loadout slot. You see a Spy and it's impossible to tell if they have a Dead Ringer, you see a Scout and you can't tell what their HP is (or how fast they go in some circumstances), you see a Heavy and you can't tell if he's a Sandvich Heavy or an idiot, etc. The more loadout options you have, the harder knowing their capabilities is.

Given that you can already pretty much can force the functionality through spectating or Spy disguises, would it be that bad if you could see the other team's loadouts? Keep Tab as it is, add a super scoreboard option that lets you inspect the other team, maybe?
This is one thing that Overwatch looks to be doing a lot better than TF2. It removes the opportunity for a lot of weapon combinations when loadouts are directly assigned to unique characters but being able to know what exactly your opponent is capable of at a single moment is a lot better for any vaguely competitive shooter game, I think.

8 Ball posted:

Is Spy vs Engineer confirmed or just people going through the patch files? Personally I'm hoping they are secret codenames for the 100% more exciting Scout vs Heavy :unsmigghh:

Pretty much both. For the best part of the last year, there's been a bunch of evidence in game files of new Engineer and Spy stuff being worked on, with new weapon attributes being added like revealing cloaked/disguised spies and weapons like throwing knives and a tranquilizer gun, among other things. I think a few people who tend to almost have inside information on future Valve productions have been confirming it as a thing that's happening too.

If all of the additions of SpyVsEngyWar in game files turn out not to be proof of what a lot of people think is coming, then Valve are taking red herrings to the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't it used to be that minicrits also caused the mittens to make a target laugh? This seems to no longer be the case.

No, it never did that. You would use the steak with the mittens because the speed boost made it easier to punch backs, but the minicrits never did anything.

• Locked thread