Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

The fear effect is great, no? I picked up Dark Matter and all the enemies hosed right off.

Dark Matter also comes with a power boost, it's a really great pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Also I don't know what it is about shielded tears but as great as the item is I only get it in runs with absolute garbage everywhere else. Bleh.

You know what they don't go well with? Ipecac. It pretty much reverses the effect letting enemies block your shots.

I just had a run where I dice roomed into Ipecac, Loki Horns, Shielded Tears and some massive amount of tears up. Thankfully I also got the wafer and whatever makes the first hit in a room do no damage. I'd just dash into a room, alpha strike with Tammy's Head and let my rotten baby and 4 fly familiars mop up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I don't think you understand why they are there in the first place. They're SUPPOSED to be bothersome. Nobody looks at dark levels in Spelunky and goes "oh sweet I can't see poo poo without this torch I hope I get another one of these".
Spelunky's dark levels are actually a very good comparison. In Spelunky it blacks out parts of the screen that aren't lit up, so it provides a legitimate additional challenge (you don't know if enemies are gonna attack you from blind spots), and it also doesn't put too much of the screen in "partial darkness" so you don't have to try and squint. In BoI it just makes things a bit harder to see, which you can negate by either turning up the brightness (which wastes time) or squinting at the screen (which hurts your eyes).

CJacobs posted:

That sentence applies to all of the curses except maybe curse of the blind because there's no way to know what you're picking up until you do it, so I'm really not sure what you're getting at.
Not seeing your health bar doesn't "change your strategy", it just means you'll keep track of your health on a piece of paper or something instead. Not being able to see rooms you've already explored doesn't either, it just means you'll have to remember where each room is or waste time re-exploring (although I am OK with a curse that disables mapping items). Being sent back to a room I've already explored while I'm trying to go to the boss room doesn't change my strategy, it just means it will take longer for me to walk there. These effects just serve to waste the player's time and should be removed.

Curse of the Blind does actually force a strategy change, and it does so without doing anything too annoying. I like it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Brimstone coupled with orbiting tears and homing tears bends in really weird beautiful ways and is a very useful synergy too. I love it.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Cryohazard posted:

I love curse of the blind because it's a massive middle finger to the old D6 devil deal meta.

Hell, it's a massive middle finger to the D6 altogether; I love it.

Personally, the only curse I really want to see tweaked is Curse Of The Maze. It'd be way more fun if the chances of a door taking you in the right direction were much lower.

I'd also enjoy a curse where rooms simply don't clear, so if you reenter a room you've already been to, it has enemies in it again - but each room can only drop consumables once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A few pieces of advice.

1. Do not pick up Ipecac if you are playing as ???
2. Do not pick up Libra if you have Ipecac

Okay thanks that's all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
PSA: 9 volt (the battery that reduces your number of charges required for your active item by 1) makes it so that the sharp plug can't activate. loving hell, and I had an amazing build for monster manualing meat boy/bandage girl too.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Holy poo poo

:siren: the credit card works in the devil room :siren:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Holy poo poo

hahahahahaha what

Man I need to do the Cursed! challenge.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Got Tammy's Head on an Azazel run finally today. Then I made the mistake of picking up the knife. RIP run.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's amazing, I don't know why I never tried it.
Speaking of the Credit Card, is there any stable source to find Runes and non-Arcana/Deck cards?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
If you pick up enough bug related items do you get a special effect? I was doing The Host the other day and I grabbed, i think, the hive, and isaac got little fly wings and bug eyes and gained flying.

e: i might have also grabbed another fly item, the bbf maybe? can't remember

Little Blue Couch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 14, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought I was being so smart using the holding onto a passage rune until Womb 2 as ???. "I'll finally unlock the D6!" I thought. I pop the rune, jump down the hatch, and ~SHEOL~ displays at the top of the screen :suicide: I guess it makes sense since you're going down. Does that rune/the shovel always lead to Sheol if used on womb 2?

Oh well, got the forget me now which seems pretty cool.

Do the My Little Unicorn effect items still let you take Devil Deals for free? I remember doing that right after the original launched but IIRC they patched it out.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 14, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HGH posted:

That's amazing, I don't know why I never tried it.
Speaking of the Credit Card, is there any stable source to find Runes and non-Arcana/Deck cards?

Skulls(the environmental objects, not the enemies) drop cards a lot. I dunno about runes. Also mushrooms drop pills a lot.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Holy poo poo

what

WHAT!?

this changes everything, I hope they dont fix this

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I just don't understand why a few trinkets even exist: Purple Heart & Broken Remote, namely. Most trinkets are little gamechangers(Push Pin, Rosary). Some have negative effects *tied* to their positive effect(Tick, Cursed Skull). But those two are just purely and solely harmful to a playthrough.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

God I hate Azazel.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It removes the cost from items that cost something. There's nothing to "fix".

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cuntpunch posted:

I just don't understand why a few trinkets even exist: Purple Heart & Broken Remote, namely. Most trinkets are little gamechangers(Push Pin, Rosary). Some have negative effects *tied* to their positive effect(Tick, Cursed Skull). But those two are just purely and solely harmful to a playthrough.

Purple Heart makes more champions spawn, which usually means more goodies for them to drop.

Unless you're playing on Hard, in which case don't even bother.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Both of those have a use. Champions are tougher but drop more loot, which can help if you have murderous damage output. And the broken remote is fantastic under the right circumstances, those circumstances being whenever you have a space bar item you can just keep using, like the empty bottle. In that case it becomes an infinite use teleporter that allows you to cheese your way to the rooms you want.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You could theoretically use the broken remote to get the I Am Error room every floor and skip all the bosses couldn't you? Speaking of that, if you go to the next floor like that(or with the shovel) on Womb 2 without either the polaroid or negative, do you go to Sheol or the Cathedral?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cuntpunch posted:

Remote sucks, but some of the champion colors have corresponding consumable drops, and even on hard mode they have a chance to drop. If you have a sufficiently strong build, more champions means more drops in the long run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Logan 5 posted:

what

WHAT!?

this changes everything, I hope they dont fix this

It's not a bug. The devil room is a shop of sorts, so it just makes sense that the credit card would work there.

just one of those things that you wouldn't think to try but makes total sense after the fact

e; I mean, I don't know maybe it is a bug but it doesn't sound like a bug at any rate

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Holy poo poo

What about store credit?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't see what's so bad about infinite teleports. The drawback might as well not exist because you can just drop it during fights.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Somehow, my first Isaac kill came with... Blue Baby. I had not gotten any damage upgrades during the whole run, except Bob's Brain. However, I DID have Holy Mantle, Wafer, Item Martyr+Bob's Head, and max spirit hearts, so I could out last Isaac. It was also my second time playing Blue Baby in Rebirth.

my first ??? run ended with my first isaac defeat

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Is there something weird about how the D4 and dice rooms work that make the load outs they give you tend to be pretty good. Unless the reroll includes an item that is really bad (like cursed charge) it always feels like the load out it gives me tends to be better than the same amount of power ups achieved naturally through a run. Maybe its just confirmation bias on my end.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Atomicated posted:

Is there something weird about how the D4 and dice rooms work that make the load outs they give you tend to be pretty good. Unless the reroll includes an item that is really bad (like cursed charge) it always feels like the load out it gives me tends to be better than the same amount of power ups achieved naturally through a run. Maybe its just confirmation bias on my end.

It might be because the items roll from the entire item pool, where as most of the items you have are treasure room or shop items.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't see what's so bad about infinite teleports. The drawback might as well not exist because you can just drop it during fights.

fuuuuucckkkk can't believe I never thought to do that

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Can anyone tell me what this item is, that gives you a gigantic green ring that does toxic damage, and you can steer it around the screen?

I got it on an interesting run where I got Little Brimstone and the reusable Sacred Heart item in the first two levels, then wound up in the Catacombs where I found a die room and re-rolled to find myself with that big green ring thing. In all it was a pretty awesome run.

vv I'm glad I had Azazel when I got that, then! The ring was pretty handy for climbing inside to protect myself from flies and other scrub enemies that do contact damage.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 14, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Can anyone tell me what this item is, that gives you a gigantic green ring that does toxic damage, and you can steer it around the screen?

I got it on an interesting run where I got Little Brimstone and the reusable Sacred Heart item in the first two levels, then wound up in the Catacombs where I found a die room and re-rolled to find myself with that big green ring thing. In all it was a pretty awesome run.

Ludovico! It's probably green because either Scorpio or the Common Cold. It's a gigantic ring because you have Brimstone; normally it's just a big tear blob.

Nothing guarantees an Eden run going well when you start with flight. In this case the White Pony, which I kinda like as conditional flight, but then I turned into Guppy and it no longer mattered.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Had a decent ??? run going where I had book of revelations. I ruined it by walking into a dice room and thinking it wouldn't shuffle my inventory. I think I'm done touching those loving things.

How on earth did any of you get max store upgrade? Every time I try to donate now it breaks after like 10 coins every time.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Internet Kraken posted:

Had a decent ??? run going where I had book of revelations. I ruined it by walking into a dice room and thinking it wouldn't shuffle my inventory. I think I'm done touching those loving things.

How on earth did any of you get max store upgrade? Every time I try to donate now it breaks after like 10 coins every time.
If you can wedge yourself between the wall and the donation machine you'll continually deposit coins and the machine seems far less prone to jamming so long as you don't stop. This doesn't work in arcades where the donation machine is further from the wall, obviously.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Internet Kraken posted:

Just avoid 1 and 6 if you don't want your stuff rerolled.

MessiahForHire
Oct 15, 2012
I had a pretty great run as ??? that ended up with my first Chest clear. I got Dark Bum in the first treasure room and I was lucky enough to get Little CHAD later, which helped out. Once I got to the chest (unlocking the D6 along the way, woohoo!), I decided to have some fun and take Ipecac when I had Cricket's Body. The next room had two Fistulas and a Teratoma... I pulled through with a couple soul hearts left over, got a Dead Cat, and managed to beat ??? only losing three lives! I had three Pretty Flies but I'm still very proud of myself for managing that. :toot:

Also, gently caress being in the chest and only having/getting three keys total.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Can someone explain to me why it is that my build will sometimes just randomly change? Like one second I'm walking through a room and then suddenly I have like 5 new familiars and I'm shooting lasers and have monstros lung that shoots exploding shots. I mean, I"m not complaining. I killed mom's heart in like half a second (BUT NO loving SATAN ROOOOOM) but it's very weird.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm a little annoyed by the fact that the only button you can press to skip the boss splash screen on a controller also causes you to shoot down. Meaning that you have to watch it every time during the suicide king challenge.

PantsBandit posted:

Can someone explain to me why it is that my build will sometimes just randomly change? Like one second I'm walking through a room and then suddenly I have like 5 new familiars and I'm shooting lasers and have monstros lung that shoots exploding shots. I mean, I"m not complaining. I killed mom's heart in like half a second (BUT NO loving SATAN ROOOOOM) but it's very weird.

Does that room happen to have a giant picture of a 6 sided die on the floor?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ariong posted:

I'm a little annoyed by the fact that the only button you can press to skip the boss splash screen on a controller also causes you to shoot down. Meaning that you have to watch it every time during the suicide king challenge.

Does that room happen to have a giant picture of a 6 sided die on the floor?

Yeah, I thought that might have been part of it but there's so much random poo poo happening in this game that I wasn't sure. So does it just randomize all your items?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The six room randomizes all your items and applies the D20 effect throughout the whole floor. Maybe the D6 too, I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, I thought that might have been part of it but there's so much random poo poo happening in this game that I wasn't sure. So does it just randomize all your items?

Each side does something different but 1 and 6 reroll all your items (6 rerolls other stuff but you probably won't notice)