Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Honda puts them on top (or used to) :colbert:

Oh well, it gives me an excuse to fix that rattling exhaust heat shield. Though I'm sure the bolts are rusted to poo poo, between the heat and the time it spent in Utah before I got it. I wonder if I can just bend that part of it out of the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MS6 threw a P2188, too rich at idle. loving car has a new O2 sensor so it can't be that. Bought some MAF cleaner to see if that helps and the loving light shut off by the time I got home.

gently caress cars, I'm going back to my video games.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

What, did you expect it to be right there on the top front of the engine or something, where it's easy to get to and service? (I love my old cars for stuff like this - Thermostat right on top. Alternator: RIGHT THERE. AC compressor: RIGHT THERE. Power steering pump: RIGHT BELOW THAT. And they all have their OWN BELTS! GET OFF MY LAWN!)

Fault codes? GET OFF MY LAWN!

In my day we diagnosed with a analog VM a Oscope. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

Honda puts them on top (or used to) :colbert:

Oh well, it gives me an excuse to fix that rattling exhaust heat shield. Though I'm sure the bolts are rusted to poo poo, between the heat and the time it spent in Utah before I got it. I wonder if I can just bend that part of it out of the way?

Well, I found the source of my heat shield rattle! :neckbeard:

It's held on by 3 bolts - 1 that actually goes to the manifold, 2 that go to the valve cover. The one on the manifold? The heat shield was cracked around it, and broke free once I had the other 2 bolts off.

Still got the manifold bolt out. It actually came out without much swearing, just a couple of taps from a hammer on the wrench. I'll just get a decent sized washer when I reattach it. The ones on the valve cover came right out.

The thermostat actually doesn't look too bad to get to, may not even have to get under the car - definitely going to need my deep sockets though. Even the O2 sensor doesn't look too bad to get at, despite being on the firewall side of the engine. I doubt it'll hurt anything to drive without the heat shield for a few days until my next day off when it's been in the 20s-40s. I just can't afford a :20bux: thermostat right now, and I definitely can't afford coolant (may as well do a drain/fill on the whole system; the last drain/fill was done by just removing the lower radiator hose from the radiator). I plan to stay with DexCool since I really don't feel like flushing the whole system, but I'll use Prestone (which is the OEM I believe - it's the only brand that actually has a DexCool logo on it at any parts store I've been to).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 13, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Dude, I did this once backing out of a steep driveway in my work truck - checked the street before I got in, no cars parked on opposite curb (Tacoma swings wide) - get in, back truck down, pause and check traffic left/right, reverse into street into a parked car on the far curb. Was one of the worse feelings I've ever had.

Lady had pulled up as I put on my belt on our something, never saw her. Thank gently caress she was clear of the car when I hit it; nailed it right in the driver door. Also thank gently caress it was a maid in a lovely Honda who didn't recognise who I work for (we've got money). A third thank gently caress it wasn't a Bentley which is more likely than not in that area.

Traded info, filed a report with work, Boss just said "accidents happen", never heard about it again. Drove by the ladies car a month later and it was all fixed.

Both of my bosses were gone for the day when I got back to the shop, but the fleet manager started laughing at me. Excuse me while I drown my sorrows with grape vodka and grape juice like the little bitch that I am.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Laughing is good. Laughing means not fired.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Laughing is good. Laughing means not fired.

This. when I hosed up a company car there was no laughing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress food poisoning. I think one of the chicken thighs I ate last night must have been a little undercooked.

I have been up since roughly 2 am, puking my guts out every hour or so til like 9 oclock. I'm still loving exhausted and dehydrated (water irritates my stomach if I drink too fast).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress 2014.

Smooshed up the rally car and work is going all to poo poo.

Family health issues with the grandparents.

I realize I have it pretty decent compared to some of the poo poo that goes on in this thread, but I am just tired.

Really really tired.

I want some good news to cruise on for a little bit.

That and one of the legacy's brand new snow tires leaks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

I want some good news to cruise on for a little bit.

Well, something awesome may be happening in Illinois: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718513&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=486#post437588252

If he buys it, we'll get the feel-good thread we need.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

gently caress yeah, got my Falkens mounted on my steelies and got them swapped over for the winter, and I've got a buyer lined up for my old Bullitts / Kumhos. I learned that I apparently need a front end alignment pretty badly, because there's zero tread on the inside of my old front tires. They're completely slick :stonk:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, something awesome may be happening in Illinois: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718513&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=486#post437588252

If he buys it, we'll get the feel-good thread we need.

Oh my god he's buying my (attainable) dream car.

Seriously, growing up Smokey and the Bandit 3 was my favorite movie (only because I hadn't seen the first two, but still...)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

MS6 threw a P2188, too rich at idle. loving car has a new O2 sensor so it can't be that. Bought some MAF cleaner to see if that helps and the loving light shut off by the time I got home.

gently caress cars, I'm going back to my video games.

*Plays car racing game, comes up with a message that the car within the game is running rich*

OH GODDAMMIT

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Karma really is a bitch. Yesterday in class I was clowning on one of my co-workers/classmates for his lovely driving skills and today this happens. Humiliation and shame are very powerful things. I'm not gonna lose my job but I gotta go explain myself to the owner tomorrow. The whole thing is embarassing for me.

I decided not to drink. I had half a beer and tossed it. gently caress that poo poo, I'm going back to just drinking on the weekends. I gotta get my poo poo together financially and put more effort into life im general.

Cars are cool too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Today will be a good day. I'm going to be eating dinner this evening at Everything German, a local German restaurant that so far has never failed to make my mouth explode with pleasure, no matter what I ordered. they have every kind of schnitzel you can imagine, and a crapload of real German beers.

Family-run, and they take a couple weeks off (closing the restaurant) to go back to Germany.

http://www.everythinggerman.org/

I can't wait!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Slow is Fast posted:

gently caress 2014.

If it's any consolation, you did a really good deed by helping me realize what a truly loving awful human being I am and that I need to get my act together.

2014 threw some curveballs at me but I'll recover. poo poo sucked real bad some days but ehhhh it'll get better eventually.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I thought things were starting to pick up last month, but now everything is firmly "Meh." Not super lovely, just...meh. Fuckin' slumps.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So just before dinner, I started feeling pretty shaky. About the same time, noticed I felt kinda.. off

Figured I was hungry, then realized I felt like I was in a mental fog.

Oh. Maybe that's why. :stonk:

Took it twice to make sure I didn't have a bad strip (it's happened). Same result.

I keep glucose pills with me (2 stay in a plastic baggie inside the glucose meter pouch). Munched one and chugged a coke, brought it up to 89 in about 10 minutes.

Still feel like poo poo, and it's back down to 83 now (after a full meal). Looks like tonight is "lets eat all the candy!" night. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday for bloodwork, I'm going to ask him about maybe reducing the glyburide to 1x/day instead of 2x/day (I've only had it 1x today, btw, and it's the lowest dose they offer). Or maybe breaking them in half.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 14, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Darchangel posted:

Today will be a good day. I'm going to be eating dinner this evening at Everything German, a local German restaurant that so far has never failed to make my mouth explode with pleasure, no matter what I ordered. they have every kind of schnitzel you can imagine, and a crapload of real German beers.

Family-run, and they take a couple weeks off (closing the restaurant) to go back to Germany.

I can't wait!

So German, in fact, that they took over the Czech restaurant next door, split the Polish restaurant on the other side with the Russian restaurant two doors down, and they're eyeing the French bistro across the street. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just found out my old boss has some manner of stage 4 cancer and probably won't live to see Christmas. Best job I ever had. I don't know how I'll deal with that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress cancer, gently caress 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just got a call about the drug test I took after my injury at Pizza Hut.

Said I tested positive for benzos, asked if I was on any medications that would be in that category. Told him Librium, he said that's what I tested positive for, and that he just needed the pharmacy info (name/location/phone #) to verify the rx. Once that's done, Pizza Hut gets told I passed the test. :woop:

Surprised they're calling so late tho

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Now over 30lbs down for the year.

FUCKIN' :getin:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Phone posted:

Good job! I gained a lot of the weight I lost earlier this year. :(.

Anyone have any tips for driving manual in the snow? Tomorrow is my first time driving in the snow with the Outback and I'm not going to lie, I'm a little scared.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mariooncrack posted:

Good job! I gained a lot of the weight I lost earlier this year. :(.

Anyone have any tips for driving manual in the snow? Tomorrow is my first time driving in the snow with the Outback and I'm not going to lie, I'm a little scared.
If you're having trouble getting started just let your clutch out slower, or start from 2nd gear. Both will put more wear on your clutch though.

What kind of tires do you have?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cage posted:

If you're having trouble getting started just let your clutch out slower, or start from 2nd gear. Both will put more wear on your clutch though.

What kind of tires do you have?

All seasons. They're whatever came with the car.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I feel for you guys having a bad year, but mine has been pretty great.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
2014 can eat a dick. all i've been able to do for the last couple of days is drink and cut. Moving back in with my parents will hopefully help out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

2014 can eat a dick. all i've been able to do for the last couple of days is drink and cut. Moving back in with my parents will hopefully help out.

I feel you on 2014 sucking a dick.

But if you need someone to talk to or anything, seriously hit me up. Choppeds10@Gmail.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Honestly, 2014 has been awesome. Some lovely stuff has happened but I'm actively doing what I feel to be awesome stuff, and benefiting greatly from it. To hell with all the poo poo I can't control :unsmith:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My 2014 wasnt too bad besides a bad breakup and a slow business year but I try to stay optimistic. Im just glad none of my pets died or no one I know got cancer or died this year :smith:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

Right on, keep it up! :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

This is what I do. We get so little snow/ice that there's no point to snow tires here; most people could probably get by fine on summer tires 85-90% of the year. I run whatever all seasons are cheapest at Discount Tire at the time (right now, that's some nearly bald Falkens up front, these cheap pieces of crap in the rear. The Ohtsus only have a couple of thousand miles on them and look brand new. The Falkens will be swapped out for matching Ohtsus next month.

I basically ease the clutch out at idle in 1st to get the car moving if I'm on ice, then shift into 2nd pretty quickly. If even letting the clutch out at idle has the wheels spinning, I start in 2nd and give it just enough throttle to keep from stalling. Snow gets a little bit of throttle in 1st.

You have the benefit of AWD, which will help a lot.

Phone posted:

I'm right at where I was this time last year. :sigh:

I got down to the upper 160s, then did the hospital bit, and I haven't been able to stop eating since then. I have blood work scheduled for Friday, my doctor will likely have a coronary over my cholesterol (I, uh, have been really bad about taking the statins he prescribed - gotten a lot better lately though). I don't know what he's gonna say about my blood sugar - it's been all over the goddamn map, though it's consistently under 130 now that he's added another medication to the mix. Problem is, it'll drop way, way down if I don't eat enough with it (it dropped to 59 earlier today, and I went from feeling fine to "why the gently caress am I so shaky?"in less than a minute). I keep a couple of glucose tablets in my glucose meter kit now, and test several times a day (5-6 if I'm feeling normal all day - he wanted at least 4 per day)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 14, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but car threads on Reddit make me want to put a bullet in my head: http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2m7mty/lpt_if_you_have_5000_available_for_a_used_car/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

I can't wait!

I did a massive double-take at that URL; it's one swapped letter pair away from being horribly offensive.

That said, German food is loving delicious. There's a place in Sanford called the Willow Tree Cafe, it's the full experience. German food, imported German beer on tap (drinking boot available, natch) and live polka music every night. I wish I could go more often.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is German food really a thing anymore? It seems like it's all doner kebab now.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
2014 can suck a big, fat dick, but it's not all bad.

Lost my job, getting divorced.

The divorce is really more of a yay-boo situation really. It sucks that things are ending the way they are, but we were both miserable together so there really wasn't another way for it to end. Since we've been apart, she's still miserable but I'm happier than I've been in years. I suppose that's what happens when you are a fundamentally unhappy person.

Edit: She is trying like hell to make me feel guilty for going to see Hannibal Burress tonight with my brother. Apparently, she is under the impression that i'm still not allowed to have fun on my own. She also seems to be under the impression that I give a drat what she thinks any more.

She would poo poo a brick if I told her I was going to Cali next week. Fortunately, it is none of her goddamn business.

bandman fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 14, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

Is German food really a thing anymore? It seems like it's all doner kebab now.

Can't really speak for its authenticity, but the place I mentioned has a huge selection of food, and I don't think they have kebab at all.

http://www.willowtreecafe.com/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=3984&From=Home

Like I said, loving delicious.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was being a bit facetious, sorry. In Germany Doner Kebab is really popular. Seems like it's every other restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CharlesM posted:

I was being a bit facetious, sorry. In Germany Doner Kebab is really popular. Seems like it's every other restaurant.

This is what happens when you let those foreigners enter the country. (please come, I want to eat myself to death on shwarma)

• Locked thread