Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Re: the dice room:

Nobody is really sure what 1 rerolls, but through testing it apparently only rerolls your items and nothing else.
2 rerolls all of the pickups in the room.
3 rerolls pickups on the whole floor including pedestal items.
4 rerolls just pedestal items.
5 rerolls the entire floor and starts it over from the beginning, including a new treasure room if you've already opened the current one.
6 rerolls absolutely everything: Your stats, all of your items, and all items on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
^^^Ok it was definitely 6 then. When you don't know it's coming it's pretty shocking haha.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The six room randomizes all your items and applies the D20 effect throughout the whole floor. Maybe the D6 too, I'm not sure.

dis astranagant posted:

Each side does something different but 1 and 6 reroll all your items (6 rerolls other stuff but you probably won't notice)

Gotcha. Guess I just lucked out by getting items that were just as good as what I'd had. My run up to that point had been crazy with a ton of drops. Triple shot, spectral, poisoned, bouncing tears with a bunch of shot speed and damage upgrades and damage reduction had been my build up to that point. Oh I was also Guppy. I had just gotten the boss rush for the first time and I think I took maybe 3 hearts of damage since everything melted so fast.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Need to complete Meat Boy, Bandage Girl and find the Raw Liver and 1up. I'm assuming the liver and 1up are secret room items but no go. Has anyone actually found these items and can confirm I'm not looking in the wrong place?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

Need to complete Meat Boy, Bandage Girl and find the Raw Liver and 1up. I'm assuming the liver and 1up are secret room items but no go. Has anyone actually found these items and can confirm I'm not looking in the wrong place?

I have found the 1 up and Raw Liver in secret rooms repeatedly, but it is rare.

Do you know if the Monster Manual counts for Meat Boy and Bandage Girl?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

13/f/cali posted:

I think I got the one up out of a regular treasure room once.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Post poste posted:

I have read that it does. Unfortunately, every time I get the Monster Manual it seems both the habit and the sharp plug immediately evaporate from all shop inventories. Not really, of course, just grumbling at my luck. That's roughly 18 shops of not finding what I need now.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Today during a run I picked up Holy Mantle, later in it I ran across a re-room, a 1, so I decided what the hell and rerolled. Afterward I looked at what items I had and saw what I thought was holy mantle ("sweet, I kept it"), but I wasn't getting the effect on first hit.

Is this not holy mantle?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One more question, sometimes I'll have floors where there are two treasure rooms and two boss rooms. Is there any reason for this or is it just random?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

PantsBandit posted:

One more question, sometimes I'll have floors where there are two treasure rooms and two boss rooms. Is there any reason for this or is it just random?

Sometimes it combines both floors of a level into an XL level with 2 treasure rooms and 2 boss rooms. I think it's similar to curse floors.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Apparently dead cat can appear twice in the same run.

Duplicate items do not count toward guppy.

gently caress. There goes 5 hearts for no reason.

But I have Blank Card and Hierophant so whatevs.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It IS a curse floor. Curse of the Labyrinth to be exact.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You know, I DID want to at least go for the base platinum on this version of Isaac legitimately but I'm so tired of the PS4/Vita trophies not popping and redoing things. I've had to start over 3 times now. Latest one was beating the dark room for the first time and only getting that instead of it + the char trophy pop. I refuse to even touch those stupid challenges.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The D4 is such an amazingly fun item. It was my first treasure on the first floor as ??? and it carried me to a win against ???.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kenishi posted:

Today during a run I picked up Holy Mantle, later in it I ran across a re-room, a 1, so I decided what the hell and rerolled. Afterward I looked at what items I had and saw what I thought was holy mantle ("sweet, I kept it"), but I wasn't getting the effect on first hit.

Is this not holy mantle?

It is however when you go into a dice room if you re-roll even if you lose your items they will show up on that screen as you picked them up at some point.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Y'know, speaking of curses, I can think of more curses that would be interesting. You could even theme them after the Sins.

Curse of Gluttony - "So hungry!" You start at 1 Heart, no matter what your health was. If you have 1 or fewer red hearts, this can still trigger, but doesn't do anything.
Curse of Greed - "It'll cost you..." The floor's Treasure Room item will cost you 15 cents, like a shop item. Only appears on floors with Treasure Rooms.
Curse of Sloth - "Don't procrastinate!" Item pickups (bombs, hearts, keys) will disappear if you leave the room. Chests won't disappear.
Curse of Pride - "Bring 'em on!" More Champion monsters. Stacks with any other effects that might be causing this.
Curse of Lust - "You're a monster magnet!" Enemies will be pulled towards you.
Curse of Envy - "Time for a change of pace!" Certain enemies will be rerolled, as with the D10, and can become enemies from other floors.
Curse of Wrath - "Explosions!" All enemies have a chance to drop a Troll Bomb on death.

I don't know why we spoiler tag these things, but there you are.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Post poste posted:

It does but you need a way of refilling your active gauge while inside the same room (if you leave the room your familiars reset). The easiest way to go about this is something like ipecac+pyromaniac (for heals)+d6+sharp plug(+wafer) in the first room of the chest. Then you D6 until you get a monster manual, then you roll familiars until you get your cheevos.

Don't pick up the 9 volt battery from the store, it will break the sharp plug. The plug needs your bar to be empty to work; 9v always gives 1 bar of charge so if you get it you're hosed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

Y'know, speaking of curses, I can think of more curses that would be interesting. You could even theme them after the Sins.

Curse of Gluttony - "So hungry!" You start at 1 Heart, no matter what your health was. If you have 1 or fewer red hearts, this can still trigger, but doesn't do anything.
Curse of Greed - "It'll cost you..." The floor's Treasure Room item will cost you 15 cents, like a shop item. Only appears on floors with Treasure Rooms.
Curse of Sloth - "Don't procrastinate!" Item pickups (bombs, hearts, keys) will disappear if you leave the room. Chests won't disappear.
Curse of Pride - "Bring 'em on!" More Champion monsters. Stacks with any other effects that might be causing this.
Curse of Envy - "Time for a change of pace!" Certain enemies will be rerolled, as with the D10, and can become enemies from other floors.
Curse of Wrath - "Explosions!" All enemies have a chance to drop a Troll Bomb on death.

I feel like the first one would annoy me. Like if I had a ton of hearts and was doing really well and then the game dropped me down to one that would loving suck. None of the curses do anything that you can't negate if you're careful.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Am I right in the stats display on the pause screen just being an abstraction and there not actually BEING caps on damage? I come to this conclusion after a Samson + Brimstone run where, by the end of Boss Rush, things were just...dying.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So I just unlocked a certain character whose item unlocks are obscene and I'm worried I'm never going to get them. Should I just not worry about it? I know it doesn't count for Platinum God but I really want to gently caress the world with Godhead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How many no-damage achievements are there? Got Mama's Boy on an amazing run so I have 4 now.

Also I guess those achievements don't count self-damage like spikes or blood machines.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cuntpunch posted:

Am I right in the stats display on the pause screen just being an abstraction and there not actually BEING caps on damage? I come to this conclusion after a Samson + Brimstone run where, by the end of Boss Rush, things were just...dying.

Yes. And they weren't even a very close abstraction in the flash version so there's no reason to expect them to be here.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

More curses is always nice; the sin theme works well.

It also reminds me of my idea for an alternate form of Greed, Avarice, which also spawns in shops and has a sprite similar to Greed's but on a noose (as the shopkeeper sometimes is). I also had an idea where, much like Greed is more likely to spawn based on your shop and money-based behavior, the other sins would also change their likelihood based on your behavior. Gluttony becomes more likely to spawn based on your consumption of red hearts, for example, while Sloth becomes more likely to spawn based on how long you're taking on floors.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RatHat posted:

How many no-damage achievements are there? Got Mama's Boy on an amazing run so I have 4 now.

Also I guess those achievements don't count self-damage like spikes or blood machines.

There are 5 no-damage achievements. The last one is Dead Boy.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are 5 no-damage achievements. The last one is Dead Boy.

Do you count The Lost's achievements?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Steak Justice posted:

So I just unlocked a certain character whose item unlocks are obscene and I'm worried I'm never going to get them. Should I just not worry about it? I know it doesn't count for Platinum God but I really want to gently caress the world with Godhead.

as someone trying to legit get hard clears with the lost, i can honestly say it's one of the most unenjoyable experiences i've had in this game. if you actually want to have fun avoid playing the lost at all costs.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So are the hard mode achievements unlock an item or what? I was thinking those were new familiars, or am I wrong? :confused:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

So are the hard mode achievements unlock an item or what? I was thinking those were new familiars, or am I wrong? :confused:

They unlock co-op babies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think Isaac's Heart is well in the running for my new least favorite item that isn't Soy Milk but at least it lets you cheese curse rooms and spikes.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One advantage of doing that God awful beans challenge is that I learned that while the Haunt is normally a huge main in the rear end, bombs take him out really easily. You can just lay them along the upper wall and duck down before he charges.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

You know, I DID want to at least go for the base platinum on this version of Isaac legitimately but I'm so tired of the PS4/Vita trophies not popping and redoing things. I've had to start over 3 times now. Latest one was beating the dark room for the first time and only getting that instead of it + the char trophy pop. I refuse to even touch those stupid challenges.

How did these guys manage to rewrite the game and end up with the same problems with trophies not popping. Have they said anything about fixing this poo poo? I have two so far that haven't worked.

edit: seriously, I don't think I've ever seen another game with this problem. It can't be that hard, especially since the in-game stats seem to track just fine. I don't normally give the slightest poo poo about trophies but they're fun to go for in a challenging game like this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So there's no way aibra is working properly. Its definitely another item that probably works fine if you have standard stuff, but if you have some of the more exotic items that modify your stats in extreme ways it won't know what to do when it tries to balance your stats. Here's what happened when I picked up libra in a soy milk run;

Max damage tears that fire almost as fast as my soy milk tears did. Satan's second form died in 4 seconds. How fast did his third form die? Well to make things even weirder, he didn't go into his third form. I have no clue why but it just skipped the third form and acted like I killed it. Not sure what the hell caused that.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Does anybody have any good strategies for the lost? I've gotten as far as mom but that's it. Any items that make it any easier except mantle and dead cat?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cuntpunch posted:

I just don't understand why a few trinkets even exist: Purple Heart & Broken Remote, namely. Most trinkets are little gamechangers(Push Pin, Rosary). Some have negative effects *tied* to their positive effect(Tick, Cursed Skull). But those two are just purely and solely harmful to a playthrough.
Nah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdyAceDdBxg
e: contains spoilers later on I guess

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 14, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bat duck posted:

Does anybody have any good strategies for the lost? I've gotten as far as mom but that's it. Any items that make it any easier except mantle and dead cat?

Gnawed leaf+daddy's love is a good combo, and it'll work for 99% of the rooms in the game. It'll take a horrendously long time but it's pretty much foolproof.

Mom's knife/any other high damage orbital (sac dagger is great here) plus the unicorn nub is also a really good combo that'll serve you well in pretty much every fight in the game bar, I dunno, Satan and the boss rush (and even those can be managed if you have the store battery item that gives you a slow in-room recharge on 1 room items.

Comedy option: shielded+magnetic tears+brimstone+ludovico.

e: Also fukken hell this is the worst achievement in the game. It was bad enough in the original where you needed a floor 1 book of revelations spawn, but now it's just ugggh.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Gnawed leaf+daddy's love is a good combo, and it'll work for 99% of the rooms in the game. It'll take a horrendously long time but it's pretty much foolproof.

I was trying for that, but getting boss rush using that seems unlikely

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Wait 'til they patch out the Monster Manual's creation of meat cubes/bandage balls and you'll have to get a floor one Book Of Revelations and a long series of coinflips. :getin:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Luckily I got both plat gods done today. It was breaking the game with monster manuel in the chest to get those last two.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

So there's no way aibra is working properly. Its definitely another item that probably works fine if you have standard stuff, but if you have some of the more exotic items that modify your stats in extreme ways it won't know what to do when it tries to balance your stats. Here's what happened when I picked up libra in a soy milk run;

Max damage tears that fire almost as fast as my soy milk tears did. Satan's second form died in 4 seconds. How fast did his third form die? Well to make things even weirder, he didn't go into his third form. I have no clue why but it just skipped the third form and acted like I killed it. Not sure what the hell caused that.

Satan's second form ends when his life bar gets near the bottom, but not when it's empty. It may be possible to lay on so much damage so fast that you cut through the script and actually kill him in his second form.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
How does Monster Manual work for Meat Boy/Bandage Girl? Does it permenantly give you the familiar or do you have to spam it all in one room to build them up or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Jibo posted:

How does Monster Manual work for Meat Boy/Bandage Girl? Does it permenantly give you the familiar or do you have to spam it all in one room to build them up or what?

When activated there's a chance you get a fully developed meatboy