Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Coming back to try Head Trauma again after unlocking The Cellar is probably the worst thing you can do to yourself in this game, FYI. Spiders of all variety are an absolute pain in the rear end with that build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I found a bizarrely good tanking synergy on an Eve run with razor blade + charm of the vampire + virgo.

Razor blade consumes red hearts before spirit hearts, so I could always use it to keep whore of babylon active and doing so gave me a damage buff for that room as well. The best part was polaroid + virgo which meant I got free polaroid invincibility at the start of the room and the wafer damage resistance thanks to virgo. So by continuing to pick up red hearts or gain them with charm of the vampire, I essentially had a red heart charged book of belial, book of shadows, and wafer all packed into one.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I have Epic Fetus and the ability to take Mom's Knife from Satan. Do they play well together now or is this a super bad idea?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Um....I just killed ??? as Judas for the first time and I got no unlock or achievement. What gives?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sanctum posted:

I found a bizarrely good tanking synergy on an Eve run with razor blade + charm of the vampire + virgo.

Razor blade consumes red hearts before spirit hearts, so I could always use it to keep whore of babylon active and doing so gave me a damage buff for that room as well. The best part was polaroid + virgo which meant I got free polaroid invincibility at the start of the room and the wafer damage resistance thanks to virgo. So by continuing to pick up red hearts or gain them with charm of the vampire, I essentially had a red heart charged book of belial, book of shadows, and wafer all packed into one.

It would be even better with the negative. Instead of temporary invincibility, you'd just instakill everything in the room.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
First time I've gotten Pyromania and wow it kind of trivializes any boss that uses bombs or stomps or explosive projectiles huh? That plus Placenta and a shitton of red health are what carried the entirety of my Lazarus run.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Welp, Ipecac and Pyromaniac is certainly a game breaking combo. :twisted:

Seriously, that and going to the dark room with 99 everything, found a key beggar and thankfully I picked up Guppy's tail on the last floor because suddenly I had 50+ items and suddenly The Lamb died in like a couple hits while there were exploding tears everywhere fully healing me.

This game is just fantastic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I have Epic Fetus and the ability to take Mom's Knife from Satan. Do they play well together now or is this a super bad idea?

Sadly it doesn't do anything. It might affect the damage but it doesn't change how Epic Fetus works at all.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

bat duck posted:

When activated there's a chance you get a fully developed meatboy

Wait, really? I thought it leveled it up one at a time so I haven't been using it and just trying to get it the hard way. Can I hope to just get it by random chance even if I can't find the sharp plug?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

Um....I just killed ??? as Judas for the first time and I got no unlock or achievement. What gives?

This unlocks the left hand, so if you've already beaten Ultra Pride, you won't get anything new.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

13/f/cali posted:

Wait, really? I thought it leveled it up one at a time so I haven't been using it and just trying to get it the hard way. Can I hope to just get it by random chance even if I can't find the sharp plug?

habit/9volt should make it pretty fast

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Haven't been able to play for the last few days, did the latest patch get rid of The Lost invincibility bug or does it still work?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Wugga posted:

Haven't been able to play for the last few days, did the latest patch get rid of The Lost invincibility bug or does it still work?

It's "lost"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

bat duck posted:

It's "lost"

Still around on PS4/Vita but God Hand doesn't pop.I'm going to assume it'll just show up whenever the 1.22b or whatever patch drops down to PS4/Vita. Honestly if that glitch didn't exist I would never have touched that char. Anyone that can do it legit I'll tip my hat to but gently caress that nonsense.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

RatHat posted:

Sadly it doesn't do anything. It might affect the damage but it doesn't change how Epic Fetus works at all.

I ended up taking it anyway before reading this. I was actually pretty relieved that it didn't seem to change how it worked.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

gently caress the Darkness Falls challenge! So glad I beat it, the RNG is specifically out to screw you over as much as possible.

Wearsyourgodnow
Jul 21, 2009

I just had the best run with an early tanooki leaf and mom's knife. Killed every boss after basement 2 by moving to the middle and standing perfectly still.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

flyboi posted:

Still around on PS4/Vita but God Hand doesn't pop.I'm going to assume it'll just show up whenever the 1.22b or whatever patch drops down to PS4/Vita. Honestly if that glitch didn't exist I would never have touched that char. Anyone that can do it legit I'll tip my hat to but gently caress that nonsense.

Even if you did it all with glitch you'll have to do dark room, Chest or boss rush on hard.

Personally that character is the worst part of the entire game, way to many bullshit rooms and enemies

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

bat duck posted:

Even if you did it all with glitch you'll have to do dark room, Chest or boss rush on hard.

Personally that character is the worst part of the entire game, way to many bullshit rooms and enemies

Yeah no God Hand for me then. gently caress that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Can the lost fly, at least?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Lost's "thing" is that he can fly and take devil deals for free (since he's got no health). The downside is of course that you can never ever get hit which is hard, but some items can make it absolutely 100% trivial (shielded tears, brimstone, ludovico etc).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't think you can realistically call never getting hit a single time "absolutely 100% trivial" regardless of what you have.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Holy Mantle at least gives you 1 free hit per room and isn't "glitched"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kanfy posted:

I don't think you can realistically call never getting hit a single time "absolutely 100% trivial" regardless of what you have.

Even if you have the most amazing items possible, you'll eventually get that one room in the womb with red poop right in front of the door and die before you notice it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Even if you have the most amazing items possible, you'll eventually get that one room in the womb with red poop right in front of the door and die before you notice it.

Holy Mantle :smug:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Magres posted:

Holy Mantle :smug:

You'd have to find it first, though. Out of an item pool of 350+ items.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Is there a general consensus on strategy re: early-floor shops? I've so far tended to avoid shops until I had ~10+ coins on-hand because the keys seemed more valuable to me, but it strikes me that it may be causing the issue I'm seeing where I keep running into Greed/SuperGreed in the Depths, dropping cash and steam sales too late to be used. I mostly just hate hitting the second or third floor and having to skip the treasure room because I either didn't find, or used up, the only key I found on Basement 1.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The Lost's "thing" is that he can fly and take devil deals for free (since he's got no health). The downside is of course that you can never ever get hit which is hard, but some items can make it absolutely 100% trivial (shielded tears, brimstone, ludovico etc).

none of those items by themselves even come close to trivializing a lost playthrough. you need an ungodly powerful setup to do that. like, "kill everything in the room before i can even register what enemies were in it" powerful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Explosions and brimstone shots are still a problem so perhaps 100% trivial was a bit of an overstatement. MOSTLY trivial. I disagree when it comes to shielded tears though, you can win the game very easily with them if you have a moderately fast firerate.

edit: Unless you run into The Bloat. gently caress that guy as any character, especially The Lost.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think this is the most evil version of THAT room I have seen so far. Just, what the gently caress man?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
holy mantle+dead cat and a halfway decent tears setup would honestly be the easiest way to win as the lost.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Alkydere posted:

I think this is the most evil version of THAT room I have seen so far. Just, what the gently caress man?

First time I saw this room I thought I HAD it, but my timing was off and the poop respawned by the time I tried to walk over it. :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Is there a general consensus on strategy re: early-floor shops? I've so far tended to avoid shops until I had ~10+ coins on-hand because the keys seemed more valuable to me, but it strikes me that it may be causing the issue I'm seeing where I keep running into Greed/SuperGreed in the Depths, dropping cash and steam sales too late to be used. I mostly just hate hitting the second or third floor and having to skip the treasure room because I either didn't find, or used up, the only key I found on Basement 1.
It mostly depends on how many keys you have. I find leaving one spare for next floor is usually safe enough on normal, and if I have at least 5 coins I'll usually use a second key to try and look for a soul heart/card/pill.

Also if you have spare bombs remember to scan for secret rooms that are next to treasure rooms and shops, it seems to happen a lot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TheRagamuffin posted:

First time I saw this room I thought I HAD it, but my timing was off and the poop respawned by the time I tried to walk over it. :(

Thankfully the boss room was in the opposite direction so I didn't have to deal with it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bat duck posted:

When activated there's a chance you get a fully developed meatboy

Are you sure about this? When I did it by abusing sharp plug+pyromaniac+loadsabombs, I definitely saw my meat boy and bandage girl being built up from levels 1 to 4. Considering I had a follower train of at least 50 random things it seems weird that I just happened to get level 1 meat cubes/bandages 4 times to build them up like that instead of getting them in one go.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
why does phd not get rid of paralysis? that's pretty obviously a negative pill effect, albeit not as bad as tears or hp down.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Alkydere posted:

gently caress this room.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Are you sure about this? When I did it by abusing sharp plug+pyromaniac+loadsabombs, I definitely saw my meat boy and bandage girl being built up from levels 1 to 4. Considering I had a follower train of at least 50 random things it seems weird that I just happened to get level 1 meat cubes/bandages 4 times to build them up like that instead of getting them in one go.

Maybe i'm wrong, had the pyro ipecac and habit, dont think I used it enough times to get all upgrades.

Did they add the curse that doesent let you see what items you pick up just to say "gently caress you" or because they figured the whole game shouldn't be skill based but purely based on luck? Picked up mirror with bomb and completely ruined a good build. I might have played too much in to short a time, but I'm getting really sick of all the bullshit randomness in this game. So many rooms where I know they were just thinking "haha this is gonna piss them off!" And I can barely get a run going now because I'm so sick of the first few floors using forever on every single room with the starting stats.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

ShadeofDante posted:

Welp, Ipecac and Pyromaniac is certainly a game breaking combo. :twisted:

Seriously, that and going to the dark room with 99 everything, found a key beggar and thankfully I picked up Guppy's tail on the last floor because suddenly I had 50+ items and suddenly The Lamb died in like a couple hits while there were exploding tears everywhere fully healing me.

This game is just fantastic.
What does it do? I have both as well as mr. mega right now, the bombs are just normal.

I was afraid of picking up anti-gravity tears, but anti-gravity tears + IPECAC is actually quite nice. Taking 2 range down pills certainly helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Sanctum posted:

What does it do? I have both as well as mr. mega right now, the bombs are just normal.

I was afraid of picking up anti-gravity tears, but anti-gravity tears + IPECAC is actually quite nice. Taking 2 range down pills certainly helped.

Pyromaniac makes explosions heal you.