Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought I read that the professional line used metal but I may be mistaken.

I looked it up and yeah you're right The Artisan model has nylon gears and the Pro has metal :black101:

Regardless, it's an awesome deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Crossposting from product thread beause drat.

Hell of a deal on a lift bowl kitchenaid.

This right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1C2-0001-00083

for $220 with promo code EMCWWWW64. Normally $359.

:argh: I live in Canada. It won't let me change the shipping option to Canada, and the Canadian site doesn't have the same deal.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Computer viking posted:

What? Eggs have a definite purpose - they are protection and food for the growing chicken. Milk has a definite purpose - it's food (and probably a few other things) for the growing calf. I really don't understand what your complaint is, unless you're being deliberately obtuse or extremely nitpicky about which verbs people use when talking about it?

Kenning posted:

I think "function" vs. "purpose" is nitpicky. The word "intention" is clearly the wrong word to use, but that wasn't even my word.

it's fine to just talk about how you feel or what you think about stuff, but if you're making overarching comments about the 'inherent' 'purpose' of 'objects', you're basically just blabbering pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

milk isn't even a definite objective thing - much less does it have a definite purpose. if you want to say, 'alright, well, obviously everyone knows what I'm talking about when I'm talking about milk - it's that white moderately viscous liquid stuff that generally tastes good', but outside of context and your understanding of milk, milk doesn't exist as a platonic ideal somewhere waiting for one to predicate properties upon it. milk doesn't exist as an object, outside of one's phenomenological understanding of milk as something which exists within a world of context (IE, linguistic {or pseudo-linugusitc, depending on how one rolls} semantic relationships, presumably represented by the temporal relationship of action potentials that transverse some constellation of neurons somewhere deep within one's dense loving skull)

so say "I believe these types of eggs have the potential to serve this kind of function within X context that is generally understood to involve a Y acting on Z" - or just say "I believe global warming is bullshit because im cold this winter, and also I believe the inherent purpose of milk is to feed babies because I was a baby once and I drank milk and also a lot of other babies drink milk" and we'll all be on the same belief/understanding/logic page. :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"GWS General Chat : A brief treatise on the phenomenology of eggs and related matters"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does this conversation even have any purpose

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Does this conversation even have any purpose

No, but it has a function.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Everything happens for a reason.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

No, but it has a function.

But not a direction

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

But not a direction

That's because it hasn't been intelligently designed.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's because it hasn't been intelligently designed.

Much like your posting :smuggo:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mindphlux posted:

it's fine to just talk about how you feel or what you think about stuff, but if you're making overarching comments about the 'inherent' 'purpose' of 'objects', you're basically just blabbering pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

milk isn't even a definite objective thing - much less does it have a definite purpose. if you want to say, 'alright, well, obviously everyone knows what I'm talking about when I'm talking about milk - it's that white moderately viscous liquid stuff that generally tastes good', but outside of context and your understanding of milk, milk doesn't exist as a platonic ideal somewhere waiting for one to predicate properties upon it. milk doesn't exist as an object, outside of one's phenomenological understanding of milk as something which exists within a world of context (IE, linguistic {or pseudo-linugusitc, depending on how one rolls} semantic relationships, presumably represented by the temporal relationship of action potentials that transverse some constellation of neurons somewhere deep within one's dense loving skull)

so say "I believe these types of eggs have the potential to serve this kind of function within X context that is generally understood to involve a Y acting on Z" - or just say "I believe global warming is bullshit because im cold this winter, and also I believe the inherent purpose of milk is to feed babies because I was a baby once and I drank milk and also a lot of other babies drink milk" and we'll all be on the same belief/understanding/logic page. :)
This doesn't explain why some people don't eat the eggs.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mindphlux posted:

This is absurdly reductionist.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I reducted prok's mom once.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I reducted prok's mom once.

Well, we all know her function.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

This is absurdly reductionist.

im the loving saucier of gws, what do you expect mate

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I'd say Pr0k's mom is saucier than you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drink and Fight posted:

I'd say Pr0k's mom is saucier than you.

I reducted prok's mom once. (ergo ipso factum quod erat demonstrandum tbqh)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

You're more like a colander. Your arguments don't hold any water. :haw:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gravity lighting it up itt lately.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

You're more like a colander. Your arguments don't hold any water. :haw:

:golfclap:

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
I have a bunch of frozen veggies in my freezer, and I really gotta clear them out. Some chicken and ground beef too. I'm thinking of doing a lot of throw it in a pan, fry it, gently caress it kinda dishes. Any tips on seasonings and such to make it less bland?

I've also taken the good advice from this forum and stocked some beans/rice (brown) and I'm probably going to make some fried rice with the veggies. Been picking up the stir-fry frozen veg packs and just throwing them in. It's just turned out okay, and I want to make it more better.

Basically I have a variety of frozen ingredients I want to make things with. I'm bad at finding and trying new things. Help

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

EcoBlue posted:

I have a bunch of frozen veggies in my freezer, and I really gotta clear them out. Some chicken and ground beef too. I'm thinking of doing a lot of throw it in a pan, fry it, gently caress it kinda dishes. Any tips on seasonings and such to make it less bland?

I've also taken the good advice from this forum and stocked some beans/rice (brown) and I'm probably going to make some fried rice with the veggies. Been picking up the stir-fry frozen veg packs and just throwing them in. It's just turned out okay, and I want to make it more better.

Basically I have a variety of frozen ingredients I want to make things with. I'm bad at finding and trying new things. Help

Chicken pot pie

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mindphlux posted:

It's fine to dissect language, just don't ignore that it takes you outside common usage, much like how the people that insist on using the botanical definition of fruits/nuts/berries in a culinary context to prove their mental superiority are being dicks.

quote:

In the context of an English-language food forum, "milk" has a concrete enough definition that, again, you're being deliberately obtuse for the sake of a pointless point. You then take a dive into the murky metaphysical waters where all meaning is lost and the only thing left is endlessly chasing your own tail, unable to decide if communication is even possible. Also entirely unproductive and tangential.

quote:

You're completely ignoring the evolutionary aspect for a cheap point, here. Egg yolk isn't some black monolith found in the desert where the only "function" is "well, we can sit in the shade when the sun comes in at the angle". Producing eggs, especially yolk, is an energy drain that would have disappeared through evolutionary pressure if it didn't provide some advantage. Of course, you can never be 100% about evolutionary processes - but I feel safe enough in saying that eggs are neither vestigial nor a spandrel. Thus, their continued existence is almost certainly because of one or more beneficial or even critical functions to the egg-laying species.

What, then could those functions be? Pulling answers from the swirling depths of biological speculation, they appear to be a protection and nutrition system for the developing chicken. Mutations that result in yolkless, shell-less, or otherwise atypical eggs tend to fail to produce viable offspring. Summarizing from that, eggs in their current form are a nutrition and protection provider for bird offspring, and if that role disappeared the eggs would disappear with it (though it might take a while). Thus, the continued existence of eggs depends on them providing (among other things) nutrition("food") for chickens.

The last some thousand years there has also been another selectionary pressure, applied by humans. We select for birds that lay as many and large eggs as often as possible, with the intent of using them, mostly for food. If a domesticated bird somehow appeared that managed to reproduce without nutritious eggs, it would have been selected against rather sharply. Thus, the purpose of eggs from domesticated birds is, in the most explicit "intelligent designer" way, to provide us nutrition (and more egg-laying birds, see the "food for chickens" paragraph above). Of course, you could be reductionist and say that "the purpose is to make the farmer money", but that's merely an indirection between the work and the end-result (of eggs being eaten).

To round off, "eggs exist because they provide nutrients" is a bit of a mouthful. In normal speech you might say things like "the purpose of eggs is to be food" to convey the same meaning. You might also intend or deliver a different meaning with the same words, but such are the joys of language.

edit: Also, thanks for the distraction - this is way more fun than what I ought to be doing. :D

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 14, 2014

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

This debate is, admittedly, too high brow for me to follow completely, but I feel satisfied in knowing that I am sorounded by people who, clearly, are belonging to the variety of amateur chefs that define themselves as artists rather than craftsmen.

Congratulations - you are all foodies!

Simply put - when I say that the argument is directionless, I do mean it - you may be in formation, but you're certainly out of direction - you're chasing the wrong goal.

The point here isn't the original function/purpose or intend of the egg, but that you're all doing the scrambling wrong!

It is like seeing adolescent children putting condoms on bananas for sex education (age of children may vary according to how repressed your society is), something that gives them momentary joy, something that may be a good skill to possess later in life, and hopefully will prevent fertilaztion of eggs in abundance.

But it leaves the poor banana misused and with a feeling of shame!

SAVE THE BANANAS!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I like to think of myself as an unpaid amateur-level food production engineer.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also just as a side thought - if you really want to promote abstinence as a birth control method, wouldn't the most effective way of doing so be to use 12" 'natural' looking flesh colored dildos in sex Ed classes? That would make the 13 year old boys never want to remove their pants in front of a girl due to the size inferiority complex that this would induce, and the girls run away, screaming, whenever a boy got sprung...

Edit: I am assuming that getting sprung is a euphemism for not displaying erectile dysfunction - the American fighter-poet Sir Mix-a-lot has told me so.

Edit the 2nd: there is a basic flaw in my plan that would require kids never to see their parents naked, or shower communally

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 14, 2014

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Computer viking posted:

I like to think of myself as an unpaid amateur-level food production engineer.

I actually, and seriously, think of most of the people on these forums as my betters, models to follow and with general admiration.

That includes you.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Happy Hat posted:

I actually, and seriously, think of most of the people on these forums as my betters, models to follow and with general admiration.

That includes you.

Eh, wait until you've seen me cook; you might want to moderate that down to specific admiration. :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Edit: I am assuming that getting sprung is a euphemism for not displaying erectile dysfunction - the American fighter-poet Sir Mix-a-lot has told me so.

I believe that Mr. Alot was being a bit poetic with that one.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
i need recipes for asian meals ie korean, chinese, japanese, tawanese etc. without tofu, soy, rice, quinoa, chia seeds. something i can make with just vegetables and fruit.

GOD I loving HATE VEGANS SO MUCH.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I thought all that stuff WAS vegan??

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

a worthy uhh posted:

I thought all that stuff WAS vegan??

Vegans with real (or imaginary) celiac's/gluten intolerance, I'd imagine?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

esperantinc posted:

Vegans with real (or imaginary) celiac's/gluten intolerance, I'd imagine?

All of those are also gluten-free. "No domesticated grains/legumes/other seeds" sounds more like a paleo diet?
(Which makes it worse, I guess)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Paleo-vegan might be the perfect storm of pretentious dieting

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

a worthy uhh posted:

Paleo-vegan might be the perfect storm of pretentious dieting

Paleo vegan who does crossfit.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Why are you even cooking for these people? I would probably just give up.

Anyway, could you do maybe some banchan style stuff to start with? Then maybe do a soup with bean threads or something, but I think beans are out on a paleo diet. I know there are a couple of other kinds of noodles that aren't rice or wheat based. No idea about how to do anything other than pickles or soup, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

dino. posted:

Paleo vegan who does crossfit.

I'm not sure if I want to know where they would be getting their precious proteins from.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Why are you even cooking for these people? I would probably just give up.

Anyway, could you do maybe some banchan style stuff to start with? Then maybe do a soup with bean threads or something, but I think beans are out on a paleo diet. I know there are a couple of other kinds of noodles that aren't rice or wheat based. No idea about how to do anything other than pickles or soup, though.

Nah, I'm not cooking for them. They're posting dumb questions for their special snowflake needs.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I wonder what ever happened to that dude who was feeding his wife rotted meat as part of their diet. "High meat" I think it was called? Think she died? She was sick, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Croatoan posted:

I wonder what ever happened to that dude who was feeding his wife rotted meat as part of their diet. "High meat" I think it was called? Think she died? She was sick, right?

I convinced myself he was just fake posting or something. Makes my days easier