Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

atlas of bugs posted:

I'm going to stop now because that is already more words on MMORPGs than I ever thought I would write, and I can't imagine it is at all insightful given my naivete here, but looking at this product as a layman from only a month in...what is left to keep players on the edge of their seats? What is there to inspire players to stick around and strive for (and keep the subscriptions going)?

Normally in sand box games you are supposed to create your own fun with other players. This normally revolves around combat, diplomacy, and the drama created between them.

But this also means you must engage the other players.

Currently there are like 25 fishing boats around fishing locations, lagging everything to hell, and anyone who attacks them creates drama for the game, which is good for the game.

We had a guy in wushu that hated me/goons so much he kept playing for months just to spite us. Rip weird german bitcoin guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I really don't know what to do with my lands that I'm not using for pack storage now. Assuming the price of labour stays above 25g, farming pretty anything seems pointless right now. Nobody is factoring in the labour cost, so nearly everything is available on the AH for cheaper than it would cost me to produce it myself.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

atlas of bugs posted:

(CAVEAT EMPTOR: I AM A "NUBLET")
This isn't my area of expertise but...

From just playing on the most populous server(Aranzeb), my "business relevant" observations are:
  • player counts seem to be plummeting,
  • bots are overwhelming (sometimes an entire zone will consist solely of bots, bots and bots and bots filling every leveling area),
  • the otherwise most loyal and hardcore revenue stream players (poopsocks, they are called) feel alienated or disinterested (from only having a month to lord their "hardcore" status over others before the thunderstruck dump, I guess?)
  • all exploration seems to be complete a month in,
  • the PvE content is SM, Cinderstone Castle, GHA, Krakken, Crimson Rift, and Serpentis -- all of which has either been figured out or is just no longer relevant for gear
  • people widely believe hacks to be pervasive, whether they are or aren't
  • the source for every single item upgrade seems to be clearly known? what I mean is, my understanding is that in other MMOs, there is some mystery or wonder(?): plenty of dungeons or raids or pvp competitions might produce a vast array of items for players, right? I am a super casual and even I know the total item table is like, GHA gear, new Auroria gear drops from two-star mobs, Serpentis gear (hard), then Hasla weapons from the same grind as before, and then crafting items and using Regrades to increase Type and using Tempering to increase stat rolls on the same single item template everyone uses.
  • many players are already "Archemasters," meaning they are max level in every single class simultaneously and so probably don't need to roll an alt
  • even if you roll an alt, a huge chunk of the continents are filled with quests nobody will ever use. You hit 50 on your character long before you get to places like Hellswamp, Sanddeep, Karaksse, etc. So, of the limited PvE content out there, much of it is completely wasted.
  • PvP feels fun but I am told MMO players consider it as sub-par? And based mostly on gold buying you one of those above-mentioned crafted items: the one that is the best you can afford, and one-shots less wealthy players.
  • this is how "arenas" work: 5 invis players walking around another 5 invis players, then whichever team has the most geared Primeval (is that the one?) jumps in and one-shots.

I'm going to stop now because that is already more words on MMORPGs than I ever thought I would write, and I can't imagine it is at all insightful given my naivete here, but looking at this product as a layman from only a month in...what is left to keep players on the edge of their seats? What is there to inspire players to stick around and strive for (and keep the subscriptions going)?

Trade and piracy on the high seas.

poo poo still gets my heart pumping every time there's a radar contact.

The biggest problem we're facing on Aranzeb right now actually isn't any ingame mechanic - it's an out of game one. The West character creation block has been sitting on us for literally weeks on end because every nublet without a job hears that doing Elf gilda runs daily is a good way to APEX up your account, and they all loving pick Aranzeb because it's the first server on the list. It, more than anything else, has prevented us veterans from having new blood to turn around, educate, and generally have fun with in the game - the only thing we can see is the attrition. Attrition being exactly what the character creation block is intended to do, but it's saddening from our viewpoint.

Western player count is plummeting precisely because of the creation block. All the goons are crying "ded game" about it because they're on Aranzeb but I've chatted with a few people from other servers out of game and they say it doesn't seem that dramatic (yet).

InternetJunky posted:

I really don't know what to do with my lands that I'm not using for pack storage now. Assuming the price of labour stays above 25g, farming pretty anything seems pointless right now. Nobody is factoring in the labour cost, so nearly everything is available on the AH for cheaper than it would cost me to produce it myself.

The thing is the labor stipend you get from Patron is far more efficient than the 250c/labor you get from pots, in terms of purchasing 2 APEX and then using one of a thousand tricks to stay online for additional labor generation. Pots are meant as a luxury, not as a gold standard.

Also, many products are still gold positive against the pot-standard. Fire up your spreadsheets and find them.

balistafreak fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 14, 2014

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I've said it before but games like these are fun for a couple weeks. Don't plan to be playing them forever unless you're interested in spending days and weeks of your free time to be top dog along with the maybe couple hundred active players left after everyone else leaves. Just play for a bit, do everything that there is fun to do, then ask yourself, "Is there really any content left for me to experience, or am I done here?"

After a couple boat battles, some illegal farm shenanigans, and some fish piracy, that's what I did and my general experience with ArcheAge was pretty positive.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Some day MMO developers will learn it is possible to create economics based sustainable MMOs that aren't called EvE. ATITD2 when? I suppose the current business model of cashing in on initial sales then throwing games onto life support isn't a terrible idea though.

It's amazing how much MMO economies can suck when their regulation is limitless.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

After a couple boat battles, some illegal farm shenanigans, and some fish piracy, that's what I did and my general experience with ArcheAge was pretty positive.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't get in on the ground floor of piracy before poopsocked gear/consumables/etc. became ubiquitous. The heart of an MMO should be of the players and their wits, not the feces accumulated in their stockings. I still have to thank that one goon for letting me use their account during headstart when illegal farms were quite popular and a day could be had of gliding around stealing crops.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 14, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Extra posted:

Some day MMO developers will learn it is possible to create economics based sustainable MMOs that aren't called EvE. I suppose the current business model of cashing in on initial sales then throwing games onto life support isn't a terrible idea though.

Creating a sustainable economic model in an MMO is easy, you just have to make poo poo be destroyed/consumed so that there is a need for constant production and resource gathering. In EVE ships and equipment are lost, and fuels and ammunition are expended. This means that there is a constant demand for goods of varying levels of quality/expense, and you don't remove yourself from the market just by obtaining something really rare/expensive. In everything else (like Archeage) if you build the MEGA SWORD, well that's it. You'll never need another MEGA SWORD because you'll always have this one, and you have zero use for anything lower in quality than the MEGA SWORD.

This isn't some big secret that only EVE figured out, they're just the only ones with the balls to do it and the fanbase that will accept it. If anyone else even thinks about doing it then the gaming babbys of the world will let out such wails of agony at the thought of losing something in a video game that Obi Wan Kenobi will think a planet exploded.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the whole people putting way too much value into database entries stored in a table under their account is kind of depressing.

One day we'll see a proper circular economic model used in more MMOs where gatherers meet the demand of crafters which meet the demand of warriors who create a demand via consuming armor, weapons, consumables, etc. instead of putting the onus on developers to power creep gear via patches/expansions which creates a temporary artificial demand.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 14, 2014

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

Extra posted:

Some day MMO developers will learn it is possible to create economics based sustainable MMOs that aren't called EvE. ATITD2 when? I suppose the current business model of cashing in on initial sales then throwing games onto life support isn't a terrible idea though.

It's amazing how much MMO economies can suck when their regulation is limitless.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't get in on the ground floor of piracy before poopsocked gear/consumables/etc. became ubiquitous. The heart of an MMO should be of the players and their wits, not the feces accumulated in their stockings. I still have to thank that one goon for letting me use their account during headstart when illegal farms were quite popular and a day could be had of gliding around stealing crops.

Luckily piracy is still really easy against most people, even well geared people, because lucrative targets still go around with small numbers for protection. The amount of people in ridiculous gear I've killed as they try to fight back with a fishing rod is really high, and there's a lot of merchant ships that run with crews of 3-5 which are easily killed. Plus, with CC being so strong in this game, coordination makes a huge difference - doesn't matter how good your gear is when three people chain CC / focus you to death before you can move.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Extra posted:

Yeah the whole people putting way too much value into database entries stored in a table under their account is kind of depressing.

One day we'll see a proper circular economic model used in more MMOs where gatherers meet the demand of crafters which meet the demand of warriors who create a demand via consuming armor, weapons, consumables, etc. instead of putting the onus on developers to power creep gear via patches/expansions which creates a temporary artificial demand.

The sad thing is that for a while Archeage DID have equipment decay just like UO did, and then they replaced the entire system with the one we have now because it was more palatable to "the MMO market".

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mercury_Storm posted:

The sad thing is that for a while Archeage DID have equipment decay just like UO did, and then they replaced the entire system with the one we have now because it was more palatable to "the MMO market".

Equipment decay isn't fun. What is fun is equipment that gets blown up but isn't hard to replace. Like tanks or airplanes in the Battlefield series. I think in more MMO terms, what we need is equipment that can be mass produced but easy to lose. As opposed to super rare that is never lost.

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 14, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

nelson posted:

Equipment decay isn't fun. What is fun is equipment that gets blown up but isn't hard to replace. Like tanks or airplanes in the Battlefield series. I think in more MMO terms, what we need is equipment that can be mass produced but easy to lose. As opposed to super rare that is never lost.

UO had good equipment decay. Not only could you steal equipment from people, but most people used high quality blacksmithed gear that was cheap and easy to mass produce once you got to that skill level. Higher power equipment existed, but was meant to be special and used very infrequently and only on important targets due to its value and how easy it was to lose. It also wasn't an auto-win button, so that helped too.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

I took a long break from this game to see how it would play out, I don't know if any of you remember me? Hierophant was/is my name. I am thinking about coming back and I am already reading about decaying servers? What is this poo poo with like 10 loving goon guilds. Yeah goons usually fracture to make certain guilds for the hardcorer players, but come on guys/gals all these different guilds? Is it a server issue that we ran into? When it was just a beta that you had to buy into we had NO problem what so ever with just the 2 guilds, SCT doing pirate back and forth was fine. Fracturing like this is a bad idea in this game. I doubt we can all come together since I can safely assume some of you guys have spent a good chunk of change on the game so far. Ehh after I decided to read the OP not in a drunken demeanor I have found that we are not that fractured. I take it if I start playing once more land is almost none existent to grab huh? So I can leach off of some rich goon? :}

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Equate posted:

I took a long break from this game to see how it would play out, I don't know if any of you remember me? Hierophant was/is my name. I am thinking about coming back and I am already reading about decaying servers? What is this poo poo with like 10 loving goon guilds. Yeah goons usually fracture to make certain guilds for the hardcorer players, but come on guys/gals all these different guilds? Is it a server issue that we ran into? When it was just a beta that you had to buy into we had NO problem what so ever with just the 2 guilds, SCT doing pirate back and forth was fine. Fracturing like this is a bad idea in this game. I doubt we can all come together since I can safely assume some of you guys have spent a good chunk of change on the game so far. Ehh after I decided to read the OP not in a drunken demeanor I have found that we are not that fractured. I take it if I start playing once more land is almost none existent to grab huh? So I can leach off of some rich goon? :}

Everyone can come together with the shadow council.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Equate posted:

Part of the problem that isn't our fault is that Trion keeps closing the Aranzeb server to new elves/nuians. So any new goons that want to play have to play on another server or play with the furries. Puts a kink in recruiting.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i swear at this point trions just forgotten that they put the restrictions on aranzeb. its ridiculous how long theyve been in place

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
At this point it doesn't really matter. The population is in free fall. The question now is whether we'll see a castle siege or server merge first.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

The great thing is the experience in the this game, but it crashes fast, it was very apparent in the alpha that this had 0 end game to keep people hooked.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Tanreall posted:

At this point it doesn't really matter. The population is in free fall. The question now is whether we'll see a castle siege or server merge first.

I was highly surprised to see two servers at high tonight, what with it being a thursday and the WoW expansion being out.

We'll only see a seige if the guilds holding castles decide they want one (like forestcrow said they will do). If they don't, the terrible bid-lock mechanic will keep it from happening.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
May the best bid hacks win.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Trion being Trion, castle sieges start a month earlier than everyone, including themselves, said. Next week those guilds with castles need like 100,000 stone bricks. I would hold on to the stone for a few days while it spikes because holy poo poo this game is in free fall.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?120396-ArcheAge-Version-1.2-Build-4.15-Patch-Notes

Khako fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 14, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Khako posted:

Trion being Trion, castle sieges start a month earlier than everyone, including themselves, said. Next week those guilds with castles need like 100,000 stone bricks. I would hold on to the stone for a few days while it spikes because holy poo poo this game is in free fall.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?120396-ArcheAge-Version-1.2-Build-4.15-Patch-Notes

hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you seen warplots?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Khako posted:

I'm curious if they're predicting that there wouldn't have been enough of a population left 6 weeks post-Auroria, so they're moving up the siege schedule? I'd guess they're seeing login numbers freefalling and starting to panic.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

atlas of bugs posted:

• PvP feels fun but I am told MMO players consider it as sub-par? And based mostly on gold buying you one of those above-mentioned crafted items: the one that is the best you can afford, and one-shots less wealthy players.
  • this is how "arenas" work: 5 invis players walking around another 5 invis players, then whichever team has the most geared Primeval (is that the one?) jumps in and one-shots.

These two items are related. Most of the people I see bitching about AA's PvP are arena players. Arena is NOT Archeage PvP. It's lovely arena PvP imported from every other MMO that thinks it's a good idea(and where it was also lovely as hell). But it's still lovely Arena. Archage is a naval piracy game, PvP-wise (and I'd say in general). And THAT PvP is fun as hell. Smallish (10-20 IMO) team open PvP is where it's at. Of that, Naval is likely the most fun for a variety of reasons.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Arena pvp or 1v1 pvp will always be poo poo in tab target MMOs. While small group pvp is fun, because it's more about the scenario and planning - couple of things in my opinion are real irritants. The lack of a skill queue in 2014 makes it brutal on those playing with some latency. And secondly, not having any kind of diminishing returns on CC sucks. It's entirely too easy for a coordinated group to keep someone locked out permanently.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I might as well come back to die in the castle wars now that I'm done with the daily event quest in Star Trek Online.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unguided posted:

I might as well come back to die in the castle wars now that I'm done with the daily event quest in Star Trek Online.

We didn't get a castle. :smith:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I mean when we try to capture one and fail spectacularly.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Should you only buy heroic crafted armor, or is it worth it buy blue's and greens and try to regrade?

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

Should you only buy heroic crafted armor, or is it worth it buy blue's and greens and try to regrade?

Most arcane or higher armor on the AH is vastly, vastly overpriced. However, sometimes there's a rare deal. You really have to know what it takes on average to regrade a piece and make the judgment call yourself.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Tanreall posted:

Kyrios is still doing fine, it's on high a bunch and you always have 3 raids per side showing up for Halcyona, rift raids also fill up and there's a decent amount of people and traders in the world at all hours unless you go out of your wax to avoid them.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I have 2 16x16 farms and inherited some 24x24 house that has a little bit more room for crops than 16x16. Roughly around 200 single crops compared to around 160. Seed bundles are pretty much a requirement to keep things rolling throughout the week. If I have a lot of free time and nothing better to do I will plant it all single for a bit but I usually hate the game for awhile after that.

Still considering trying to pick up another 16x16 but I like having a left over labor in case I want to do whatever else. I crashed the AH prices on Ground grain and peanuts multiple times. I would either advertise bulk outside of AH while selling a stack or two in AH. Sure you make less but if the price crashes you make a lot less and selling in bulk at a discount is out of the question.

At one point I had over 17k ground grain in my inventory but I have that cleared out and have a few people who added me. As long as the price is right I will make whatever they want in bulk...with 24-48 hour notice.

I do want to see if I can cripple the AH for a week after stockpiling grain/produce/crops. I want to see what happens. Will it cause cooking products to drop as well? Husbandry products? etc etc

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 14, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tanreall posted:

Quick Tanreall, revive the CRPG thread!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Equate posted:

The great thing is the experience in the this game, but it crashes fast, it was very apparent in the alpha that this had 0 end game to keep people hooked.

A few were saying it in alpha, but others justified the lack of presence a few weeks into that by saying that they were just holding out to not get burned out for the launch.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The castle system seems ridiculously stupid to me. Right now you have 4 guilds with castles, and each of those guilds is earning crazy money from the taxes on all the lands in their zone. If anyone wants to siege a castle and that castle's owner doesn't want to be sieged, you basically have to come up with more money than that guild has. There is no mechanism in the game to tax guild members automatically, so even if some big guild decided to get a bid together for a siege it would mean getting money one-by-one from all the members. I don't think Goons could ever come up with a winning bid, and we're still one of the biggest non-castle guilds on the server.

Does this system work in Korea?

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!

InternetJunky posted:

Does this system work in Korea?

Yeah, from what I hear several guilds have not lost their castle since they got them during the Auroria launch. So I think that's working?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Let the rich stay rich. Mitt Romney for Archeage president. :911:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Yay, I got home from work at 9am and surprise, a 6 hour downtime which takes away all but maybe an hour of my available play time for today. This is the first MMO in years that's had downtimes which cause me to lose a significant amount of play time. Things are getting bad when I'm suddenly getting a tiny bit of interest in checking out WoW again after an almost 7 year hiatus. I'm just sick of investing hundreds of hours into characters in failed MMOs and ones that are heading down the path to failing like AA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ruffz posted:

Yay, I got home from work at 9am and surprise, a 6 hour downtime which takes away all but maybe an hour of my available play time for today. This is the first MMO in years that's had downtimes which cause me to lose a significant amount of play time. Things are getting bad when I'm suddenly getting a tiny bit of interest in checking out WoW again after an almost 7 year hiatus. I'm just sick of investing hundreds of hours into characters in failed MMOs and ones that are heading down the path to failing like AA is.

I was in the exact same boat, starting about 2 weeks ago. I lost all desire to play this game, started feeling nostalgic for WoW (which is still the only MMO that has ever held my attention for years and not months) and I will be buying WoD in the upcoming weeks. I'm actually looking forward to it and being done with AA for good.

• Locked thread