Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dizz posted:

doesn't have good synergies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
wow, just had a run where I really regretted having almost two full bars worth of Max HP -- I was playing Eve and kept getting HP Ups but never really got the chance to trade them away (Krampus room, a couple devil rooms that only had a single 1-heart item) and THEN in the womb I picked up Devil Bum which would normally be the best Eve item ever but since my max HP was so high I only had room for 2 soul hearts and it made it really risky keeping up the Whore of Babylon bonus. Never really suffered before from the new Rebirth limit on maximum max health but it made things a lot harder for me here

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Holy crap do I hate the Cursed Eye. Completely ruined my Eve run by teleporting me to random rooms whenever I got hit. At least it made for good practice for any upcoming Lost runs...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wugga posted:

Holy crap do I hate the Cursed Eye. Completely ruined my Eve run by teleporting me to random rooms whenever I got hit. At least it made for good practice for any upcoming Lost runs...

I've had some bad items but the Cursed Eye is super awful.

Unless it's early on Dead Cat is basically run-over for me. Sure I'd love to only have one health and nine lives. That way if I can't beat the heart on 1 HP I get to lose 8 more times. It'll be fun!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone put 'the cursed eye won't teleport you if you're not charging a shot when you get hit' in the OP in big red flashing letters

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
So, I think Mongo Baby is only, like, half bugged?

I had an Eden run where I started with Demon Baby, and then on the first floor, I got Mongo Baby. Demon Baby disappeared. But later on, I picked up Ghost Baby, and then Demon Baby came back. So I had the three familiars I was supposed to have.

I still think I'll avoid Mongo Baby in the future.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

someone put 'the cursed eye won't teleport you if you're not charging a shot when you get hit' in the OP in big red flashing letters

Oh wow, that really almost helps. If I knew that then I could probably beat mom by just never shooting.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

TMYK, wow.

Also, does anyone have tips on getting more angel rooms? Or even devil rooms on the first couple levels? I'm trying to get two angel rooms in a run for well known reasons, but I'll be damned if they ever show up when I have a loadout worth bringing to the endgame.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I've had some bad items but the Cursed Eye is super awful.

Unless it's early on Dead Cat is basically run-over for me. Sure I'd love to only have one health and nine lives. That way if I can't beat the heart on 1 HP I get to lose 8 more times. It'll be fun!

Does guppy's collar work the same way? Reviving with 1 heart is a pathetically dumb idea for an item unless it's like Lazarus where you revive immediately in the room.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cheekio posted:

TMYK, wow.

Also, does anyone have tips on getting more angel rooms? Or even devil rooms on the first couple levels? I'm trying to get two angel rooms in a run for well known reasons, but I'll be damned if they ever show up when I have a loadout worth bringing to the endgame.

Don't take damage on the floor or the boss to improve your chances of a devil/angel room. You can't get a devil room on Basement/Cellar 1. Taking a devil deal pretty much guarantees you won't get an angel room the rest of the run.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alkydere posted:

I think this is the most evil version of THAT room I have seen so far. Just, what the gently caress man?

All you gotta do is thread the needle, man. Just thread the needle play as Azazel :v:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you don't kill the heart and skip to Sheol then it doesn't count as a heart kill.

If you do kill the heart but then continue to the next level instead of opening the chest does it count towards the unlockable levels, or do you have to get the things out of the chest X number of times for that to happen?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Ghost Head posted:

Does guppy's collar work the same way? Reviving with 1 heart is a pathetically dumb idea for an item unless it's like Lazarus where you revive immediately in the room.

I believe you revive with 1/2 heart filled but all of your heart containers.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

If you don't kill the heart and skip to Sheol then it doesn't count as a heart kill.

If you do kill the heart but then continue to the next level instead of opening the chest does it count towards the unlockable levels, or do you have to get the things out of the chest X number of times for that to happen?

If you kill the heart and get sheol or cathedral to pop pre it lives it gives you the unlock even if you die in the next level. It won't count toward a win streak, though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Wugga posted:

Yes, that. Never gonna pick that up again. It does no good. Unless maybe you play as The Lost, I guess.
People whine about Bob's Brain but as long as you adjust your playstyle it can be very useful, the cursed eye is only ever good if you're already good enough to never get it.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Oh my god that giant room with the walking skulls and the cross room spitting heads sucks so much

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Oh my god that giant room with the walking skulls and the cross room spitting heads sucks so much

Are you talking about the ones that you can't damage until they pop up, but still walk around? Those are easily one of my most hated enemies.

I was doing the challenge earlier where you start with epic fetus and I ended up just bombing out of the room and leaving because I couldn't get a shot off in time to kill one before it went back into invulnerable mode.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Don't take damage on the floor or the boss to improve your chances of a devil/angel room. You can't get a devil room on Basement/Cellar 1. Taking a devil deal pretty much guarantees you won't get an angel room the rest of the run.

I'm so tempted to just not even bother going for Angel Rooms anymore, I almost always get garbage Angel Rooms.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Variations of this room are in Sheol with rotating eyeball turrets. You have to hope the walking skull decides to open up while it slowly plods towards you. If it doesn't, you're taking a full heart of damage from running into it or the eyeball turrets.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mental note: Do not use reroll room when doing challenge where default items are set up to complement your inability to shoot.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

CJacobs posted:

A few pieces of advice.

1. Do not pick up Ipecac if you are playing as ???
2. Do not pick up Libra if you have Ipecac

Okay thanks that's all.

Wrong!

Libra + Ipecac is awesome.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Another one of my "favorites" is the normal-sized one with a bunch of rocks, three Masks and their Hearts which are on the other side of a pit you can't reach unless you have flying.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
So today I learned that Tech 2 plus Ipecac makes every tick of your Tech 2 laser deal Ipecac damage. Coincidentally, today I also got through the boss rush as ???.

I didn't get through the Dark Room, though, because it turns out that Mom's Contact plus Ipecac means that whenever you enter a room and start firing, you shoot a bomb backwards into the wall and blow yourself up!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

wocobob posted:

So today I learned that Tech 2 plus Ipecac makes every tick of your Tech 2 laser deal Ipecac damage. Coincidentally, today I also got through the boss rush as ???.

I didn't get through the Dark Room, though, because it turns out that Mom's Contact plus Ipecac means that whenever you enter a room and start firing, you shoot a bomb backwards into the wall and blow yourself up!

That's a pretty cool interaction.
Also that's Mom's Eye. Mom's Contact adds a freezing effect to your shots.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress that, I beat the demo man challenge but since I went in the Cathedral and died there, it doesn't count.

Doesent the challange end after you beat isaac?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bat duck posted:

Doesent the challange end after you beat isaac?

but I lost :(

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Somebody posted that duplicate guppy items don't give you the transform but I had a run where I got dead cat twice and then the mongo baby which turned me into guppy :v:

Also charm of the vampire just saved my hard mode chest run, of all things. Had an okay tiny planet build that managed to stay alive by killing all of the flies the boss was spawning.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

but I lost :(

I feel you man. I died there too. I died exactly when Isaac died, even saw the chest pop up.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
So is there no way to abuse the dead cat anymore? It used to be the best item in the game for that reason, now I've only really found it useful as a stepping-stone to guppy-mode.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bat duck posted:

When activated there's a chance you get a fully developed meatboy

It doesn't do that. When you use it it gives you a random pet, which can be a cube of meat/ball of bandages. I got them with the Sharp Plug, The Wafer, and the Fanny Pack with full health pills coming in a bunch. It was a pain in the rear end but it did seem easier than getting them normally.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Morholt posted:

So is there no way to abuse the dead cat anymore? It used to be the best item in the game for that reason, now I've only really found it useful as a stepping-stone to guppy-mode.

You sound a little sad that they fixed a bug.
Don't worry, the cat always was poo poo in Isaac, all it did was raise your death counter.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

I still don't like Mom's Knife :colbert:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Dizz posted:

I still don't like Mom's Knife :colbert:

It's really good with homing tears. It tends to home in on enemies it's already inside of, dealing even more damage. One shot all the bosses that way and tell me you don't like Mom's Knife again with a straight face.

In fairnes, with homing tears it may also attack enemies you don't want to attack.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Those guys wouldn't annoy me so much if they weren't 110% immune to everything besides (maybe) DOT damage when they were hidden. Attack buddies lay off them and even piercing won't damage them. It's just "we're motherfucking invincible until WE let you attack". I wouldn't mind if it say piercing attacks could still damage them, but nope.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does the Guillotine have an actual use besides giving you a headache and making you an easier target?
Gives you an orbital and orbitals are super strong in this game. Also with or without guillotine your hitbox is actually your body, not your head

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

seriously cursed eye is legitimately a good item if you know this and have the wherewithal to remove your fingers from the arrow keys once in a while

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IronicDongz posted:

seriously cursed eye is legitimately a good item if you know this and have the wherewithal to remove your fingers from the arrow keys once in a while

Wait, really? It only teleports during a charge?

Well that makes it still obnoxious but not game ending.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Doesn't make much of a difference because you should always have a charged shot ready with chargeable weapons so you can actually defend yourself. Sure, you could just release a charge if you know you're about to be hit, but if you know you're about to be hit you may as well just dodge unless you know it's impossible somehow.

Unless you can just mash your cursor/face buttons to spam tears like with chocolate milk, in that case cursed eye would be fantastic. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

IGgy IGsen posted:

You sound a little sad that they fixed a bug.
Don't worry, the cat always was poo poo in Isaac, all it did was raise your death counter.

Dead cat + fallen in original was always great to break the hell out of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

IronicDongz posted:

Oh geez I didn't realize that. I thought it was completely random on hit.