Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just had an excellent Blue Baby run. Got the Mitre early on which solved the health problem, and thanks to Mom's Contacts and good DPS I killed Satan before he could enter his third phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the Chaos card is pretty nuts. It one-shots bosses(though it might not insta-kill bosses with multiple forms) and can destroy rocks if you really need it to. And the Black card works with it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Aaaaaauuuuuuugh just blew a Solar System run on the last floor by accidentally touching brimstone while trying to pick up some black hearts.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So I'm assuming that if you're The Lost and you get an item that when you die turning you into another character any wins after that count as that character right, not the Lost? I've been trying to legit get the Lost off the ground and Judas' Shadow didnt spawn me with any hearts like the Lost, but Lazarus' Rags spawned me with one and I can pick up soul hearts now. If I can use this to cheese the achievements I definitely will because I'm not having much luck so far, but it'd be nice to know if I'm just wasting my time. Anybody know?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Logan 5 posted:

So I'm assuming that if you're The Lost and you get an item that when you die turning you into another character any wins after that count as that character right, not the Lost? I've been trying to legit get the Lost off the ground and Judas' Shadow didnt spawn me with any hearts like the Lost, but Lazarus' Rags spawned me with one and I can pick up soul hearts now. If I can use this to cheese the achievements I definitely will because I'm not having much luck so far, but it'd be nice to know if I'm just wasting my time. Anybody know?

Correct, if something respawns you as another character you count as this character. This was in the original; the Ankh would turn you into blue baby and you'd get his unlocks when you won after burning the Ankh.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Logan 5 posted:

The revive as so-and-so items turn you into the character you revived as for unlock purposes, unfortunately. 1-UP and dead cat still work, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

So the Chaos card is pretty nuts. It one-shots bosses(though it might not insta-kill bosses with multiple forms) and can destroy rocks if you really need it to. And the Black card works with it.

I really like the starter deck since it lets me hold a chaos card in reserve until the final boss. I just beat family man by clearing the cathedral in 5 seconds with emperor and chaos card. I had Krampus head for everything else.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does the blank card have to be unlocked in some way?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ariong posted:

Does the blank card have to be unlocked in some way?

Kill Isaac with Eden.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have no idea what I picked up, but at some point I became immune to regular projectiles in my last run. I just sat in front of Isaac, and later ???, spamming tears until they died. ??? could hurt me with the red tears it had, but those almost never happened and frankly he's easier than Isaac anyway since he doesn't have the light from above thing. Wish I'd had whatever this was when I was using ??? myself.

He rarely hits me when I'm moving, as soon as the teleport starts you gotta move.

If you have three flies around you, Isaac can't touch you until he starts hitting you with beams of light.

Kanfy posted:

Actually the worst enemies are those depressed-looking spiders that run away and spaz out while spitting out more spiders, mostly because you usually don't have anything flashy or powerful at that point and it takes about twenty years to catch and kill them in some rooms.

These guys + the mom hands that drop down + one of the rooms with limited vision or movement would be the worst for me.

RatHat posted:

It'll instakill the current form of a multi-stage boss.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

What does Guppy even do? I've never gotten him in WotL or Rebirth even though I've put 100+ hours in between the two of them :smith:

(I also don't aggressively seek Guppy items because I've never actually seen enough of them to get him in one run so I've never had any AW SHUCKS I MISSED GUPPY moments)

Also, advice for getting the damned cat trio put together?

Guppy is a lot easier to get in Rebirth because the items that can turn you into him have increased. I got Platinum God on WotL, and it was one of the last achievements I got, and I had to actively go looking for it. I accidentally turned into Guppy on, like, my 5th run in Rebirth. Curse rooms are your friend if you want Guppy, as they have red chests, which have a lot of Guppy items, and they'll also just spawn Guppy items straight-up.

The new Guppy items are a lot easier to take in Rebirth. The collar and hairball don't require you to make any hard choices, they just add to your game. After that, Guppy's Tail is a good item as it boosts the number of gold chests. Dead cat is worthless unless you get it on the first floor. Guppy's paw is super situational, and I usually take it only if it's the third Guppy item I need.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Is Monstro's Lung miserable if you already have ipecac?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

If you have three flies around you, Isaac can't touch you until he starts hitting you with beams of light.

Oh, it wasn't just Isaac. It was all regular projectiles from any enemy, though I did have two flies and a meatboy head.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Guppy's Paw is actually very good if you have a lot of heart containers. Quadruple health against the final boss is pretty significant.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I just had a neat run with Soy Milk + Knockback that ended prematurely. Am I correct in assuming that DMG up items don't do anything if you have Soy Milk? If so what are some cool synergies with it? I've tried the Little Planet + Soy Milk challenge and that was okay, I guess.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Stokes posted:

I just had a neat run with Soy Milk + Knockback that ended prematurely. Am I correct in assuming that DMG up items don't do anything if you have Soy Milk? If so what are some cool synergies with it? I've tried the Little Planet + Soy Milk challenge and that was okay, I guess.

Soy Milk sets your damage at 1 permanently. I'm sure there are some fun things to collect with it, but every single time I've given it a shot it just ends up killing my run. :argh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Atomicated posted:

Is Monstro's Lung miserable if you already have ipecac?

No it's amazing.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Yay, just got my first ??? kill...with ???.

The fight is pretty much a joke with the combination of 3xPretty Fly, Wafer, and Infamy. I think the only damage I took was from my BBF blowing up near me when it hit one of his flies.

Nothing spectacular about the run otherwise. First Boss Rush with ???, got in with like 30 seconds to spare. The run was really favored for victory despite my lovely play. I found a lot of Luck Up pills in the Depths, so despite having really low life upon entering Cathedral, I got lucky and found Library with Book of Rev, and then found a slot machine that dropped a 48 Hour Energy and healed me right up. I also early on found Guppy's Collar in a Curse Room, which revived me twice in the run - once when I intentionally suicided to pick up Spirit of the Night, once when I was just bad and died.

One other dumb question I've been meaning to ask: Whore of Babylon - is its effect based on RED hearts or TOTAL hearts? If you pick it up with ??? do you get a permanent effect, for instance, or even if you pick it up with another character who has transitioned solely to soul/sin hearts, is it worth it, or is it really only a low-health danger item?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
So... how exactly do secret rooms work? I thought regular ones had to be adjacent to at least two rooms while super secret rooms could have a maximum of one room. But I just had a run where this was not the case. Did they change how secret rooms worked compared to original Isaac or was I just misinformed?

Check out this following seed on Cellar 1, there's a Spelunker's Hat in the treasure room so you can see where the secret rooms are. Secret room is through the shop and super secret is further south.
0RZH
WJZB

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Guppy's Paw is actually very good if you have a lot of heart containers. Quadruple health against the final boss is pretty significant.

Does it run over the 12-heart limit? I could see it being really good if that's the case.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

No, but it's still pretty great if you find it in the same devil room as whore of babylon (or are eve) and just burn all your reds to be super powered 24/7.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

One other dumb question I've been meaning to ask: Whore of Babylon - is its effect based on RED hearts or TOTAL hearts? If you pick it up with ??? do you get a permanent effect, for instance, or even if you pick it up with another character who has transitioned solely to soul/sin hearts, is it worth it, or is it really only a low-health danger item?

Red hearts, yes. If you can manage to get yourself into a state where it's permanent and aren't going to die if something so much as sneezes on you it's definitely worth it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

President Ark posted:

Correct, if something respawns you as another character you count as this character. This was in the original; the Ankh would turn you into blue baby and you'd get his unlocks when you won after burning the Ankh.

The Moon Monster posted:

The revive as so-and-so items turn you into the character you revived as for unlock purposes, unfortunately. 1-UP and dead cat still work, though.

Well drat, thanks. Didn't actually know that about the original or this one, so I've just been doing it all legit. But gently caress me if the Lost isnt the biggest pain in the rear end so far, all the Devil Deals I even make it too are utter poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cuntpunch posted:

Red hearts. I've spent many a happy Eve run permanently whored up while rocking a full health bar of Soul and Sin.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

IGgy IGsen posted:

So... how exactly do secret rooms work? I thought regular ones had to be adjacent to at least two rooms while super secret rooms could have a maximum of one room. But I just had a run where this was not the case. Did they change how secret rooms worked compared to original Isaac or was I just misinformed?

Check out this following seed on Cellar 1, there's a Spelunker's Hat in the treasure room so you can see where the secret rooms are. Secret room is through the shop and super secret is further south.
0RZH
WJZB

This is super weird and seems like an edge-case floor-generation error, but I can't imagine why. There are plenty of valid spawn locations for the secret room(connected to the shop) and the super secret room(opposite the boss room). Weird.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
gnawed leaf and gemini carrried me to an issaac win as blue baby, lol :hellyeah:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It also synergizes really well with dead cat, turn that one red heart to three blue ones, which can make a real difference in the late game.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Soy milk is garbage and if you get that poo poo on the first 3 floors just dive into the nearest spike room and kill yourself because I am really not sure why it is in the game.

edit: Also dear god if you get goat head + any faith boosting item early on (which is pretty easy to do with curse rooms) you can basically get one angel room item per floor. It's absurd.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, the Daddy's Love foot stomp gets mean when you pick up the BFFs tattoo from the store. Not only is it twice as big, the damage it does shoots through the roof. :stare:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Soy milk is garbage and if you get that poo poo on the first 3 floors just dive into the nearest spike room and kill yourself because I am really not sure why it is in the game.

edit: Also dear god if you get goat head + any faith boosting item early on (which is pretty easy to do with curse rooms) you can basically get one angel room item per floor. It's absurd.

It seems to increase the attack power of Technology 2 but I'm not sure why. Maybe other factors where involved. That run I had has been a while.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Soy Milk is one of those weird interactions that when it's good it's good, but most of the time it's bad. I think of Kamikaze in the same way - it's just this really weird item that's bad ALMOST ALWAYS.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Like, if you have the dice and get soymilk and then roll everything else for damage I guess it'd be okay, but getting soymilk without any damage upgrades afterwards basically ends up with you failing to kill the duke of flies because you can't kill his flies before they kill you.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I was kind of hoping the ??? fight would of been different from the cathedral boss considering it was the almost the same in the original Binding of Isaac with it almost being a ditto of the previous boss.

Also, I am loving the chaos card especially with the starter pack. It's preety much one-hit kill with any enemy/boss in the game.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
even with pyromania kamikaze is really underwhelming. subpar damage and practically no range.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I managed to kill Mom's Heart with it and it was sometimes powerful as hell but Azazel + Anti-Gravity Tears is so goddamn boring and obnoxious to play with.

e: is there some kind of glitch with flying in this game though? going through those spike doors when flying only gets you hit on the way out. weren't you invulnerable to them in the original game?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Extreme0 posted:

I was kind of hoping the ??? fight would of been different from the cathedral boss considering it was the almost the same in the original Binding of Isaac with it almost being a ditto of the previous boss.

Also, I am loving the chaos card especially with the starter pack. It's preety much one-hit kill with any enemy/boss in the game.

The ??? fight is different enough, he shoots different patterns at least. But it feels very samey, yeah.
I do like what they did to Isaac and ??? though. While the fights are easier now they are also more fun. Because let's face it, they were really loving boring before and the rays of light were just random and whether you'd get hit or not was not something under your control

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
Way behind and just saw that this is a free game this month. Going to have to play it.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

The only time I got Soy Milk was with the Whip Worm, Cancer and Ipecac.

And yes, it really was chaotic. It was like firing a machinegun of explosives.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I managed to kill Mom's Heart with it and it was sometimes powerful as hell but Azazel + Anti-Gravity Tears is so goddamn boring and obnoxious to play with.

e: is there some kind of glitch with flying in this game though? going through those spike doors when flying only gets you hit on the way out. weren't you invulnerable to them in the original game?

It's always been that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Really? Guess it's just been a while since I touched Wrath of the Lamb.