Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Yesterday I got laid off from my job, as did about half of the company. Aside from the job search itself, I'm kinda going nuts working on making things to stay sane. Hence I woke up at 4 a.m. and put the finishing touches on Schoolgirl RPG, a mini-RPG (clocking in at 7 pages) based on the rules of Maid RPG. So check it out maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good luck dude. you make cool stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ewen Cluney posted:

Yesterday I got laid off from my job, as did about half of the company. Aside from the job search itself, I'm kinda going nuts working on making things to stay sane. Hence I woke up at 4 a.m. and put the finishing touches on Schoolgirl RPG, a mini-RPG (clocking in at 7 pages) based on the rules of Maid RPG. So check it out maybe.

Well, I bought it. You make good stuff.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, the edit was referring to something else I edited out of my post. I don't see why we shouldn't have conchat here.

We used to have a local conventions thread a couple of years ago. I was thinking about starting another one. Is there interest?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there any good PbPs you would recommend in the subforum to just read? I've tried a few to try and get a feel for the format but the first couple of pages are usually just sign-ups and char sheets.

You should be reading Star Power and not just because I'm in it.

Only mainly because I'm in it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LongDarkNight posted:

We used to have a local conventions thread a couple of years ago. I was thinking about starting another one. Is there interest?
I am one of the people who posted in that thread (as long as that was the "regional conventions thread") so my interest is not that surprising, but I absolutely love conventions and would be all about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ewen Cluney posted:

Really sorry to hear you lost your job. That's rough. I hope the job hunt goes well for you. Since my main issue with Maid was the fetish-y subject material, I'll pick this up.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014

Ewen Cluney posted:

Picked it up out of solidarity, this looks like it would be fantastic to play drunk. Or maybe that's just the only way I can imagine trying to roleplay with my aberrantly tall and bearded group, given the subject matter. Either way I love me some random tables.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey ewen does schoolgirl rpg let me run a nichijou game. this is important

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Bought it, was vindicated by the inclusion of Freddie Mercury as a plot hook.

That's fantastically lovely you got fired, but on the bright side, maybe more time to finagle Magical Burst?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

hahaha poo poo it's right there in the influences section

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well I know what I'm doing next week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Covok posted:

Since my main issue with Maid was the fetish-y subject material, I'll pick this up.

Had to quote myself because it dawned on me how dumb it is to say that "Japanese school girls" is a less fetish-y subject matter than "maids." Surprised no one called me out on that.

Anyway, the game is pretty cool. I'm surprised how quickly you made this, by the way.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Now I have a burning desire for a full-on PbtA private school game. More Gossip Girl, less Sailor Schoolgirl.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Perhaps a kludge of Monsterhearts?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Perhaps a kludge of Monsterhearts?

Hell, the supernatural elements are already metaphors for school drama archetypes, you could just make that metaphor more obvious. Maybe rename the playbooks and moves if you like, but otherwise everything should be fine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

Maid is extremely my poo poo so I'll check it later. Thank you for translating the best Japanese RPG that isn't meikyuu, mein herr.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Tollymain posted:

Tweak the random event tables, have lots of disconnected scenes, and adopt that dry, weird style of Japanese humor and you're more or less there.

grassy gnoll posted:

That's fantastically lovely you got fired, but on the bright side, maybe more time to finagle Magical Burst?
I was looking to leave the company anyway, but, you know, by doing a careful job search over the next few months rather than being out the door with zero warning. Right now I'm kind of obsessively working on more card game stuff (notably more installments of Five-Card Fictions), but Magical Burst is definitely on the list.

Covok posted:

Had to quote myself because it dawned on me how dumb it is to say that "Japanese school girls" is a less fetish-y subject matter than "maids." Surprised no one called me out on that.

Anyway, the game is pretty cool. I'm surprised how quickly you made this, by the way.
Thanks! I started on it a while back, so it was more a matter of getting around to finishing it up. There's definitely fetish stuff around Japanese schoolgirls, but this game doesn't delve into it the way Maid RPG does. Though what I really need to do on that front is finish Retail Magic, my wholly non-fetishy Maid RPG-powered game about employees at a magic item shop.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

grassy gnoll posted:

Well, that eliminated the last lingering doubts. I got rewarded for my purchase by random event #16. :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really, really want to play/run not!chijou now :v:

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
I've been a Mongoose Traveller kick lately. I'm not really even playing the game, just generating characters and worlds. Im amazed at how much fun it is. I don't think I've enjoyed character creation and world-building this much, ever.

I don't have any friends that play (or want to, AFAIK) and I've been checking out the solitaire rules, which still seems like awesome fun. Is there any interest on SA for some Traveller? I couldn't find a thread for it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Aafter posted:

I've been a Mongoose Traveller kick lately. I'm not really even playing the game, just generating characters and worlds. Im amazed at how much fun it is. I don't think I've enjoyed character creation and world-building this much, ever.

I don't have any friends that play (or want to, AFAIK) and I've been checking out the solitaire rules, which still seems like awesome fun. Is there any interest on SA for some Traveller? I couldn't find a thread for it.

Well, the thing about Traveller is that making characters is the most fun you can have playing Traveller.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, the thing about Traveller is that making characters is the most fun you can have playing Traveller.
This even holds true for the PC adaptations.

Though to be fair the character creation is SO FUN that I have a hard time imagining how the subsequent game could match the joy.

There is probably some lesson to be learned here about how their character creation process was the first accidental effort at a modern game mechanic/style for which I know no term. Randomized collaborative storytelling? Crunchy Storygaming?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think mongoose Traveller is a fine mid-heavyweight system for playing Space Adventure. :colbert: That said, the random generation tables are pretty cool.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Since we're talking about Ewen's games, Slime Story seems really fun. It's a fun modern scratch for the monster-slaying adventure itch, has a tactical element, and doesn't take itself too seriously. I might throw together a PbP.

http://yarukizerogames.com/my-games/slime-story/

I want firearm rules though, damnit. Rangers should be able to scrap with shotguns.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm all about that Dragon World.

http://yarukizerogames.com/2012/09/01/dragon-world-hack-v0-2/

It looks like the game to scratch the Slayers itch that Slayers d20 probably won't.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
In the Dungeon World thread someone mentioned that the game is not optimized for Play-by-Post. In fact, a lot of table-top RPGs seem this way: Pathfinder in particular would take forever if you played combat straight.

So, what games work best in a PbP format?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One page RPGs? :haw:

Seriously though, exceptionally lightweight stuff. FAE, Lasers & Feelings, etc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad! posted:

In the Dungeon World thread someone mentioned that the game is not optimized for Play-by-Post. In fact, a lot of table-top RPGs seem this way: Pathfinder in particular would take forever if you played combat straight.

Light weight rpgs like FAE and one page rpgs. Also, while I still haven't got around to playing it yet, I heard Chuubos was made with PBP in mind.

This leads me to a question: would those older rpgs or wannabe older rpgs work for pbp since a) your suppose to avoid combat and b) combat is usually win or die?

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm all about that Dragon World.

http://yarukizerogames.com/2012/09/01/dragon-world-hack-v0-2/

It looks like the game to scratch the Slayers itch that Slayers d20 probably won't.

Still eagerly awaiting the next version of this, he mentioned it on his blog IIRC, as this is majorly my poo poo.

Ewen Cluney posted:

Thanks! I started on it a while back, so it was more a matter of getting around to finishing it up. There's definitely fetish stuff around Japanese schoolgirls, but this game doesn't delve into it the way Maid RPG does. Though what I really need to do on that front is finish Retail Magic, my wholly non-fetishy Maid RPG-powered game about employees at a magic item shop.

Yeah, I realized the stupidity in saying School girls are less fetish-y than maids. Also, you're making Recettear the trpg?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Libertad! posted:

PbtA games seem to work really well for PbP because there's no turn order. It really rewards participation without punishing people who are out of time zone or don't have the free time to post several times a day.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is this a dangerous question? Time to find out!

What do these RPGs that focus on these easily-fetishized Japanese subjects excel at that makes them compelling targets for modification? Even as someone who did have an anime phase in the sense that I liked Akira and Dragon Half, and then tried and failed to find more anime at the local mall, and then almost immediately lost interest, all in the span of a week, I have a hard time understanding what could possibly make an RPG about Japanese maids a good system for adapting to other things. What I learn from Googling it is that it is rules-light, so I guess there is that, but I am pretty sure from reading this subforum that other rules-light games also exist.

If this is as simple as "we like anime" then fair enough, given that if I had a post-apocalyptic system that I loved I might well be tempted to try to revise it for other related systems even when there would be some other more obvious choice just because I was so into the theme/feel.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Zurui posted:

PbtA games seem to work really well for PbP because there's no turn order. It really rewards participation without punishing people who are out of time zone or don't have the free time to post several times a day.

Not Dungeon World, though. The thing is, about 90% of encounter scaling GMs can do in this game is throwing fictional blocks for players before they can roll damage (even something simple as "that goblin sure does have a long spear, what do you do?"). In PbP everyone goes just "yeah, ok, I lunge forward and slay the kobolds here are my rolls" hence why you have poo poo like boss enemies going down in one-two round. So you either play faux-D&D giving up on half the interesting poo poo GM could do in combat (on which there is quite a bit of focus), or you keep shouting on the players to stand in line and retcon half their rolls which is probably just as fun as it sounds.

Other PbtA games take PbP better, as physical conflict is just one of many setpieces, but in DW it's like 3/4 of everyone's playbook.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Libertad! posted:

Best games for PbP are ones that focus more on interaction and less on combat. Its less about systems, then how the game is run. For instance, I've successfully turned Kobolds Ate My Baby from a very unPbP game into something that is meant for PbP. For example, in the original game there were rules that required players to act stuff out, I adapted those rules so that those actions would have to be narrated in the posts instead. I've played a lot of different systems in PbP and I'm not sure I've encountered any that didn't work in the PbP format.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Sionak posted:

I really enjoy RPPR's games and, other than my own experience and panels with Hite and Stolze and the rest of the Delta Green crew, they have most informed my thinking on all this. I especially like/recommend Caleb's "Lover in the Ice" game, which provides a great example of how finding all the clues doesn't necessarily make your life easy, especially if the situation is bad enough to begin with.

I think having the system be pretty simple is a huge draw for horror games. Asking questions about the system and switching over to tactical thinking mode absolutely kills atmosphere and horror in my experience, even with supposedly rules-lite games like Fate Accelerated.

Just caught up with this thread. Thanks guys! Anyway, I've been running a lot of Trail of Cthulhu lately, including Masks of Nyarlathotep. It's a very pulp heavy run of the campaign, so I've added skill cherries, chase and combat rules from NBA. I've also allowed these new skill cherries: http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=15288

I really like GUMSHOE, because I don't run strictly from the adventure - I allow multiple skills to be used to gain clues and advantages. Granting temporary pool bonuses for clever player ideas is also extremely helpful (oh you gained the trust of that detective? Have a 2 point cop talk bonus pool you can use to call in favors with him).

Night's Black Agents is THE game for espionage games though. It allows players to create complex plans that they can actually set up. Pulling off a heist requires a lot of prep work and in games with random skill checks, players seem to always gently caress up too many skill checks to even try the heist. Since opposed/combat/action skill checks are still based on random rolls in gumshoe, player plans can still fail but they get a shot at pulling it off. For example, in this CoC one shot, http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2014/04/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-payday/ I couldn't pull off a more complex plan because all of our skill checks were randomized, nor could I spend contact points to know a NPC ally who could help out.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Quarex posted:

What do these RPGs that focus on these easily-fetishized Japanese subjects excel at that makes them compelling targets for modification? Even as someone who did have an anime phase in the sense that I liked Akira and Dragon Half, and then tried and failed to find more anime at the local mall, and then almost immediately lost interest, all in the span of a week, I have a hard time understanding what could possibly make an RPG about Japanese maids a good system for adapting to other things. What I learn from Googling it is that it is rules-light, so I guess there is that, but I am pretty sure from reading this subforum that other rules-light games also exist.

If this is as simple as "we like anime" then fair enough, given that if I had a post-apocalyptic system that I loved I might well be tempted to try to revise it for other related systems even when there would be some other more obvious choice just because I was so into the theme/feel.
Because the focus isn't on maids being sexy or whatever, it's on absurd, goofy poo poo happening with lots of random events. And the characters are kiiind of working together, but are also competing for attention, so...

The way I've heard it described is to remember those old Loony Toon cartoons with Sylvester, the bird and the old lady. Except the old lady is a little boy with a constant cough and endless wealth, the bird's a ninja assassin tasked with secretly protecting him, and Sylvester's a lazy vampire trying to get a free meal ticket.

Hitherfetcher
May 11, 2014

Ratpick posted:

I was, however, thinking of a scenario where the kids would have to take over for Santa, because the old man's just called in sick for the first time in hundreds of years. Probably closer to the Holidays.

May I suggest :

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/116168/The-Big-Night

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aafter posted:

There really should be a Traveller thread, at least for a little while (it'll die faster than a PC). Fair warning, if I have to do the OP I'm going to pimp the hell out of the Traveller-based wargame I'm working on.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Zurui posted:

Since we're talking about Ewen's games, Slime Story seems really fun. It's a fun modern scratch for the monster-slaying adventure itch, has a tactical element, and doesn't take itself too seriously. I might throw together a PbP.

http://yarukizerogames.com/my-games/slime-story/

I want firearm rules though, damnit. Rangers should be able to scrap with shotguns.
I'm currently in the process of reworking Slime Story as a PbtA game, and really liking how it's coming along BTW.

Covok posted:

Still eagerly awaiting the next version of this, he mentioned it on his blog IIRC, as this is majorly my poo poo.
Yeah, I'm currently running two different Dragon World playtest campaigns (though they haven't gotten very far because of real life stuff), but I am planning to release a 0.3 version.

Covok posted:

Yeah, I realized the stupidity in saying School girls are less fetish-y than maids. Also, you're making Recettear the trpg?
Retail Magic is more like "Slayers taking place in a store," with (if I can make it work) an optional Recettear plugin with the Commerce Rules.

Quarex posted:

Personally I think regardless of theme, Maid has a really exceptional system for comedy. There are a lot of things that play into it, but IMO the killer app in it is the random event rules, especially when the players have the option to spend points to trigger them. With random events you can start with "It's morning, better go make breakfast" and wind up with, say, your ninja-ridden fantasy castle landing in the middle of a cyberpunk dystopia and transforming into a giant robot to fight the Dark Knight Corporation (which is roughly what happened in a one-shot I ran a few years ago). I originally checked Maid out because of the weird anime-ish premise, but I woudln't have gotten the insane idea to try to translate it if I didn't see something in the system. The reskinning stuff I've been doing with it has basically just been what I felt like doing personally, but it's easy to imagine using the same rules to make, say, an improved version of Toon. It's "Being Zany With Stuff We Rolled On Random Tables: The Role-Playing Game."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

The reason that *World games aren't as optimal for a play-by-post is because the intention of how those games play out is an ongoing dialogue between the GM and player where moves arise as part of that call-and-response...players don't say "I use [MOVE]," they tell the GM what they want to achieve or what they intend to do in purely fictional terms and the GM assigns them a move based on whether their action or intent triggers something specific (which it sometimes does) or something that might merit some interpretation on his end to determine exactly what move best fits the criteria (which it sometimes needs).

So in a PbP format, all this back and forth translates to additional required posts...trying to translate *World tabletop play to PbP play on a 1-1 basis would mean the player would post their intent, then the GM would have to post to assign them their move, then the player rolls. A lot of *World PbP games tend to soften that format, allowing players to go ahead and determine which move best fits their fiction themselves, some folks are fine with that and some folks feel like that goes against the point of the games.

Games that work best in a PbP format, in my opinion, are games where players can easily take the initiative to declare their action, roll it, and resolve it all by themselves in the span of a single post. For some games this is easier to accomplish than others, some games can easily be modified to allow for this more easily, but any game where the players can take some of the weight onto their own shoulders and keep things from requiring more back-and-forth posting to resolve is going to be ideal.

The popular opinion is that lighter games are better for PbP but in my experience how crunchy or complex a game is doesn't have as much of an impact on whether it's better for PbP or not. If a game makes you go "woah, no way, this is too much" at the thought of running it over a forum it isn't going to magically be any less complex or crunchy if you decide to run it at the table, so if you're comfortable running Spycraft or GURPS for a bunch of people face-to-face there aren't really any additional inherent challenges to running it for a bunch of people over a forum (except maybe your inability to hand someone a book but let's be honest, everybody here knows how to get hold of a pdf of [GAME] on short notice). I mean obviously if your players aren't invested in a crunchy game then you'll have some problems, but again, the same applies face to face so there's no real difference there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Are the tactical elements and action economy staying in Slime Story? I really enjoy those.

Also, is this a will-have-playtest-ready-soon rework? Or should I try out these rules and go from there?

• Locked thread