Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

They just did a full-blown symphonic album which is really good. Plus a tour.

(also Rammstein and Blutengel :confused: :confused:)

Rammstein was more me being sleep deprived and searching for the first german industrial band i could think of, and Du Hast being the first song to come to mind, completely forgetting about a lot more of their stuff. Cruxshadows would probably be a closer analogy for Blutengel. It all sounds the same, I like it all, but its all sorta samey. Say what you will about EN or KMFDM but at least they've really attempted to cover a lot of different genres while still staying true to the industrial roots. (also if any of you like CS check out their instagram, its hilarious, spiky goth hair, leather, permanent scowls, and a tons of pics of Rogue's kid running around with them looking all happy and disney princessy.)

I definitely like all the goth electro-pop, its just unless its someone who does something really different like Celldweller or some of KMFDM's 90's stuff, if it comes up in a playlist, i can't tell it apart without looking and cheating. Even some zeromancer gets thrown in that category, although I tend to throw zeromancer more into the 2000's KMFDM/early Rammstein/Pretty Hate Machine category of "new wave influenced industrial that you can dance to" The difference is all of those bands can be somewhat easily ID'd without having to look up who they are just because they have a distinct sound that is very much "them".

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

There is a new The Birthday Massacre album out, it's ok I guess? They're definitely moving back in the right direction from the kind of boring chuggy guitars from the last couple albums I think, but most of the songs just seem to get a little bogged down. Then again I miss the bouncy pop atmosphere of their first few albums so what do I know!

e: it's up on Spotify if you do Spotify, there's also the full album on Youtube but that's of questionable legality/ethics

The Birthday Massacre is a guilty pleasure of mine but they have a problem with boring filler songs. The first five tracks on Superstition are pretty great, especially Diaries, hot drat that chorus. Everything after Surrender could just not be there and nothing would be lost.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

mennoknight posted:

http://www.cafepress.ca/cp/customize/product2.aspx?from=CustomDesigner&number=1427368441

everyone buy this who is going to the concert and wear it to the concert and yell "YOU'RE OLD"

Please do this people.

(And then ask them to come to Australia)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

Is anybody going to the Skinny Puppy tour location in Montreal?

I'm coming down from Toronto to see it in Montreal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Apparently if you go to the St Louis show you can meet up with Lowtax.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Potential BFF posted:

The Birthday Massacre is a guilty pleasure of mine but they have a problem with boring filler songs. The first five tracks on Superstition are pretty great, especially Diaries, hot drat that chorus. Everything after Surrender could just not be there and nothing would be lost.

I agree with this. Walking with Strangers is their only album that I enjoy start to finish. I do enjoy Oceania and Rain on the new album, though. I'm enjoying Superstition more than their last one. Hide and Seek started off strong but I don't give a poo poo about anything after the third track. They're great for curated playlists.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Nothing really stood out to me on the new album until I got to hear it live. I think Violet is their best.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SacrificialGoat posted:

Nothing really stood out to me on the new album until I got to hear it live. I think Violet is their best.

I don't think Violet has a bad song.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Apparently if you go to the St Louis show you can meet up with Lowtax.
Haujobb shirt spotted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkqKNzuGe8

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Have you guys heard Lowtax's record? It's really good. A lot of Archtect/technoid-inspired work on it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twiin posted:

Have you guys heard Lowtax's record? It's really good. A lot of Archtect/technoid-inspired work on it.

My Google skills are failing me. Do you have a link?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I remember hearing about that at some point too but why does Lowtax have a record in the first place. It's just a weird thought for me for some reason

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If it's remotely your kind of thing, check out the new Einsturzende Neubauten release - "Lament". It's a concept album about the first world war, and specifically its impact on the city of Diksmuide in Belgium which was reduced to rubble. It's really loving good - dark, oppressive and haunting.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I don't remember seeing it posted here but Rotersand's Electric Elephant EP is pretty good at sounding like Rotersand, here's the title track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBuWYM7W608

I'm not sure if I'm entirely on board with the elephant thing though, wait until the end of the song to see what I mean.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

My Google skills are failing me. Do you have a link?

The record is called Drain and it's released under the name Arc. I don't think it's available on bandcamp or anything but some googling might turn it up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twiin posted:

The record is called Drain and it's released under the name Arc. I don't think it's available on bandcamp or anything but some googling might turn it up.
I found a tracklist but we should get him to reupload it somewhere if he still has it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh this is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-17Vh_XAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGO6UhCNESY

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 20, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I was listening to them the other day on i die:you die good stuff.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

With this and a new Spark! album coming soon, seems to be a pretty good time for catchy EBM that isn't just by-the-numbers stuff.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

It's not good or Daniel Myerish, but I will upload them tomorrow

EDIT: you can download / listen to some of them on Snodclod: https://soundcloud.com/lowtaxico/tracks

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wulfband are great. And so are the Gothsicles, whose album is up for preorder on Bandcamp for $8. There's a couple of tracks ("Super Scary Action Figure (I Want To Eat Your Brain)" and "Ultrasweaty") up to listen to, though I'm looking forward to "Cthulhu Fhartwagon".

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Pope Guilty posted:

Wulfband are great. And so are the Gothsicles, whose album is up for preorder on Bandcamp for $8. There's a couple of tracks ("Super Scary Action Figure (I Want To Eat Your Brain)" and "Ultrasweaty") up to listen to, though I'm looking forward to "Cthulhu Fhartwagon".

The only thing i hate about this genre is the way that you can never tell who's serious and who's not. Obviously Gothsicles are just fun as gently caress and poking fun at the scene, but then you have things like Eisbrecher who are loving awesome, but are also a bit over the top from what I've seen of their live stuff to the point of camp. Then again, Rammstein with all that loving fire is over the top and campy live too.

Then again, so long as the music is awesome, what the gently caress does it matter if someone is serious or campy anyway?

\/\/ there is that, but it's been a long time since i was into industrial and just got back into it, is the whole fascist thing still big? Like 10 years ago the "fascists" were all suburban white boys who thought it was edgy to do the whole nazi worship thing, and thought that "dark, aggressive music in german" automatically meant nazis. Only person I've seen recently that seems to do that thing at all seriously is Nachtmahr, and that's just because Nachtmahr's a douche who tries too hard.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 21, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Well, I care if people are seriously fascists.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

If you didn't get in on the kickstarter then I feel bad for you son

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

Like 10 years ago the "fascists" were all suburban white boys who thought it was edgy to do the whole nazi worship thing, and thought that "dark, aggressive music in german" automatically meant nazis.

Rammstein parodied that with a song and music video that was totally leftist/pro-workers, but could've been mistaken for an army march to anyone who didn't speak German. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_2-3-4

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

Rammstein parodied that with a song and music video that was totally leftist/pro-workers, but could've been mistaken for an army march to anyone who didn't speak German. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_2-3-4
I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVU7-F5iitY

His argument is that Rammstein undermines Nazism through playing with the bare minimum of Nazi-istic gestures and doing it in a non-ideological way. And the lyrics are totally anti-Nazi of course. There's a way to use militaristic and fascistic imagery, and use these images in a serious manner, while also doing it in a kind of deconstructivist manner. I think [:SITD:]* is a good example. They sound super militaristic and Teutonic but their songs are about the horrors of Third Reich eugenics breeding programs and the human cost of German arms exports. Bit of a downer but I like it.

* They have a new album out that's pretty good if you like wall-of-sound industrial. The song Purgatorium is one of their best.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 21, 2014

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Nice, new SITD? I love that i'm getting back into this stuff, because i forgot just how loving fantastic the wallofsound stuff is. I like the EBM stuff too, like VNV etc, but i like the darker, harder stuff that much more. I like what i can dance to, but i like it to be dark and hard while doing it. (IE, I prefer Hau Ruck to Attak cause Hau Ruck is a much dancier album but i like everything KMFDM does).

If anyone has any bands that have come out in the past 10 years or so that I've likely missed in the time since I last was big into the scene, I'd love to hear em. I've got a decent pandora station that's got a lot of different stuff that introduced me to Eisbrecher, who may be tied with Zeromancer as one of my favorite acts (even as cheesy as Zeromancer can be they're just so danceable while still having that fantastic "blow your rear end away with all this sound" feel.

Also, do y'all count That 1 Guy in here? He's a bit of an oddball, but "industrial" really would be the first thing i'd come up with for him, he plays on his own invented instrument, and it's definitely dance type music, with that darker minor key feel for most of it, but he's also 100% not serious about anything (he wrote a song about butts) with mostly nonsensical lyrics. He doesn't really fit the EBM genre conventions, but he doesn't really fit any genre convention, and he's definitely got the whole "gently caress the music industry and what they think sells" attitude that I've always associated with early pioneering industrial stuff like EN. I count him as industrial more for the whole "invented instrument" thing than anything, and considering that there are some groups that get counted as EBM when they are really nothing more than a trance group with goth aesthetics, I'd say a dude that does some interesting, inventive, danceable, somewhat dark stuff counts, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-A8rUhCMjY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O67Kf5swR3k

\/\/ Dead When I Found Her is awesome, and i did get into them from when i started going back through this thread. I'm around page 40 or so, and Dead When I Found Her might be the best thing that's come out in a while in this genre.

And That 1 Guy is awesome live too, the only reason I was hesitant to bring him up is cause he tends to run with the brostep/festie crowd, I saw him open for Keller Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN5tSB7nYG0 - its loving amazing to watch this little unassuming looking guy bust out these sick layered tracks with just loop pedals upon loop pedals upon loop pedals. He just tends to when he's touring do the festie scene over anything more industrial or experimental, even though he's definitely not skrillex or anything.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 21, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

I count him as industrial more for the whole "invented instrument" thing than anything, and considering that there are some groups that get counted as EBM when they are really nothing more than a trance group with goth aesthetics, I'd say a dude that does some interesting, inventive, danceable, somewhat dark stuff counts, right?
Sounds pretty industrial to me. I added it on Spotify.

Hmm. Look up Dead When I Found Her. It's got the late-80s Skinny Puppy/FLA vibe going on. Also he just did a Prince cover which is hilarious and awesome:

http://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/track/when-doves-cry

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

If you didn't get in on the kickstarter then I feel bad for you son

I very badly wanted to, since I love the Gothsicles, but I just didn't have the money.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In case you don't feel like having A CD shipped from Sweden, Wulfband's debut is on Amazon MP3 for $8. The already-released tracks from Youtube are the highlights, but the rest of it's loving good too.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

AA is for Quitters posted:

If anyone has any bands that have come out in the past 10 years or so that I've likely missed in the time since I last was big into the scene, I'd love to hear em.

I'm in roughly the same situation - I never stopped liking industrial music, but I got really lazy about checking out new bands starting around 2006 or 2007. Judging by the first few pages of this thread, you guys have good taste, so I'll be slowly reading through also.

Quirk posted:

I think the "best" KMFDM album if you have to give the gold stamp to one has to be Symbols. Ironically that was the album that made Sascha want to stop KMFDM to begin with if memory serves.

Wasn't this also the album where they had a hard drive die just a few weeks before the scheduled release? I remember reading an interview where they talked about the backup (female) vocals on Megalomaniac being totally improvised.

Glad to see some love for the Birthday Massacre in here, too. I wasn't sure how to feel when I first heard them a couple years ago, but they quickly went from guilty pleasure to being a band I legitimately enjoy. Saw them live on the tour with Aesthetic Perfection, that show kicked rear end. First impression of the new album is that it's kind of boring, but it might grow on me yet. I do like Diaries, Oceania, and The Other Side.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So Wulfband, High-Functioning Flesh, and Youth Code all rule. What other awesome new old-school EBM bands are out there?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

So Wulfband, High-Functioning Flesh, and Youth Code all rule. What other awesome new old-school EBM bands are out there?
Statiqbloom. I can't stop plugging him. Also on tour now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouMQz4kKNlw

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouMQz4kKNlw

Nor should you, they are cool as.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Behind Glass is an amazing song and Statiqbloom are incredible.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Have people checked out the split ep with Zex model, who are also pretty cool imo?

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2014/11/statiqbloomzex-model-split-lp/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

This is awesome, thanks!

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

How do we feel about Melotron in this thread? This video of theirs just came out, and I find it oddly charming with its squishy machines and cartoon heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAihD-3Owys

Also, new Birthday Massacre is definitely growing on me. Pretty excited to see them next week in San Francisco.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

elektroboot posted:

How do we feel about Melotron in this thread? This video of theirs just came out, and I find it oddly charming with its squishy machines and cartoon heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAihD-3Owys

Also, new Birthday Massacre is definitely growing on me. Pretty excited to see them next week in San Francisco.

The video is pretty cool and I think they sound a lot like and one so they are fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
THREE DAYS UNTIL CHICKEN PECKIN IN MONTREAL