Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

AFC is only marginally less corrupt than Jack Warner's CONCACAF ftw, Mohammed Bin Hammam was a stand up guy who did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I'd guess UEFA and CONCACAF might care about being able to distribute all that sweet, sweet TV/sponsorship money amongst themselves instead of having to kick it up to the Capo.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Depending on what part of the year they move it to wait and see if Fox asks for a renegotiated price, especially if it gets moved so it competes with the NFL.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I loving hate FIFA and hope every member dies in a fire.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Europe and a couple of the South American teams are the only teams that matter anyways. It'll be easier for those to make a new fed than for FIFA to reform. It's loving retarded that a bunch of small islands no one cares about has as much power as UEFA.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Never trust the swiss

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Syncopated posted:

Don't think FIFA will give it to Russia again so soon mate.

What the H!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hegay posted:

Europe and a couple of the South American teams are the only teams that matter anyways. It'll be easier for those to make a new fed than for FIFA to reform. It's loving retarded that a bunch of small islands no one cares about has as much power as UEFA.

Argentina and Brazil are ludicrously corrupt. Remember that the person who taught Blatter everything was Brazilian

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Jose posted:

Argentina and Brazil are ludicrously corrupt. Remember that the person who taught Blatter everything was Brazilian

Its their culture and we can't judge

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

I loving hate FIFA and hope every member dies in a fire.
This except not "Big" Jim Boyce

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Pook Good Mook posted:

EDIT: With that in mind, I wonder if the US will come around to being a candidate again in 2026. They seemed pretty soured on the whole process and if I remember correctly they said they'd only be interested if FIFA changed their ways.

It’s a federal crime in the US to bribe any member of an international organization, regardless of whether the bribe takes place in the US, and federal prosecutors love to grab scalps for this. I’d be very surprised if the US bids again

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
England, Australia and the US will never have a world cup again. That I can say for sure. Fifa poo poo on people that question them. Reminder that the new way to vote for hosting is that the executive committee chooses 3 nations and puts it to all of fifa.

Its still ludicrously corrupt.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've been laughing all day about this whole thing. I had to explain to colleagues, two of whom are foreigners and none of whom follow foot or sport at all, why this thing was funny and none of them understood any of it. the closest I got was 'are you talking about Bernie Ecclestone?'

tbh i wouldnt know how to even begin explaining it to people who dont know about football.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Hegay posted:

It's loving retarded that a bunch of small islands no one cares about has as much power as UEFA.

but we invented the sport!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Asked how gay people will be welcomed in 2022, Salah bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali replied: "It's exactly like the alcohol question."

He said Qatar doesn't want to create "this impression, illusion that we don't care about our tradition and our ethical values ... We are studying all these issues. We can adapt, we can be creative to have people coming and enjoying the games without losing the essence of our culture and respecting the preference of the people coming here. I think there is a lot we can do."

The reference to the "alcohol question" was his reply on whether beer sales will be allowed at stadiums in the country where alcohol is severely restricted. "In the hotels and many areas we have alcohol but we have also our own system that people need to respect," he told AP. "As we bid for 2022, we will respect all the rules and regulations by FIFA. We can study this and minimize the impact on our people and tradition. I think we can be creative, finding solutions for all of this. But we respect all the rules and regulations."

Seems reasonable to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Fifa World Cup report pointless and a joke - FA boss Greg Dyke

"It's a bit of a joke, the whole process," Dyke told BBC Sport, adding that it looked "pretty ugly for Fifa".

Someone's wearing his big boy pants today.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Blue Star Error posted:

but we invented the sport!

Its never coming home

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Germany warns Uefa may quit Fifa if World Cup report not published

YES YES YES

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

YES come on!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
*the its happening meme but with Platini*

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

lol this will happen

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

That is pretty baller, hope it's not just an empty gesture though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gently caress yes it won't happen but at least they're threatening meaningful things.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Best country in the world etc

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
My brothers Brazilian fiancé told me last night how much she likes the idea of a December World Cup in Qatar. And said it would be best for the players safety, which is noble of FIFA. We really are in an echo chamber, aren't we?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ephex posted:

Take over. We'll be okay with it this time.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

“The only people that come out well in that summary report by Eckert is Fifa. [It says] they got their decisions right in respect to Qatar and Russia, and there’s even a sentence and a reference in there that Sepp Blatter ran a wonderful process. It’s almost like high comedy.”

Lol

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

sassassin posted:

Take over. We'll be okay with it this time.

Most people have even started turning on the jews over the poo poo they're pulling in Palestine

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

ephex posted:

Probably not the best place to find a good ethics judge, though.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Vinestalk posted:

Probably not the best place to find a good ethics judge, though.

I'm trying to shoehorn in a joke about ethic cleansing but I can't seem to get it working

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ephex posted:

David Hasselhoff fan worship, Tokio Hotel, Hitler, etc.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Austrian rental

The Mount Rushmore of Austria:
Hitler
Schwarzenegger
Mozart
A can of Red Bull

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 15, 2014

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Austrian rental

The Mount Rushmore of Austria:
Hitler
Schwarzenegger
Mozart
That girl from the beginning of Dumb and Dumber

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

The Mash posted:

Most people have even started turning on the jews over the poo poo they're pulling in Palestine

Um...good one mate.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Sunday Times wrote a thing about vote-swapping and other stuff left out of the report

quote:

Fixer’s World Cup offer to England

FIFA’S attempt to whitewash Qatar’s winning 2022 World Cup campaign is blown apart today by fresh evidence of corruption.

Qatar was cleared last week by a Fifa ethics judge who ruled that Mohamed bin Hammam, the country’s top football boss whose corrupt activities were exposed by The Sunday Times, was “distant” from the official 2022 bid team.

The Sunday Times today reveals further evidence, however, that Bin Hammam was actively engaged in illicit activities to secure the votes needed to bring the 2022 World Cup to the desert state.

Two senior executives of the failed England bid for the 2018 tournament offered Fifa’s investigators evidence that he had brokered improper vote-swapping deals.

Electronic messages freshly unearthed from a cache of hundreds of millions of leaked documents also reveal that Bin Hammam’s staff discussed how he had rigged the vote in favour of Qatar.

“ppl [people] can say what they want about the bid but he did it,” one message read.

The messages later record the efforts of Bin Hammam’s private staff to shred his correspondence and personal files and delete emails, raising concerns that crucial evidence of his secret campaign has been destroyed.

The revelations further undermine the credibility of Fifa’s £6m in-house investigation into corruption in the World Cup bidding process, which was sparked by a Sunday Times investigation in 2012.

Hans-Joachim Eckert, Fifa’s German ethics chief, cleared Qatar last week after assessing evidence gathered by Michael Garcia, Fifa’s top investigator.

However, events quickly descended into farce when Garcia accused Eckert of “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations” of his investigation.

Fifa faces mounting pressure to publish Garcia’s full report and all its supporting evidence. But the credibility of his investigation is itself damaged. He failed to speak to a key witness from the England 2018 bid who has told England officials that Bin Hammam personally tried to strike a vote-swapping deal with her.

Clare Kenny Tipton, who was England 2018’s international strategy adviser, reported to colleagues that Bin Hammam had asked her whether England would guarantee European votes in favour of Qatar if he pledged his own vote to England.

He is alleged to have told her: “I would only vote for the country in Europe that brings me the most votes for Qatar. My job is to win the World Cup for Qatar. As a Qatari, I have to, for my country.”

Collusion pacts between bidding countries were banned under Fifa’s rules. The account of the meeting is also further evidence that Bin Hammam was operating behind the scenes to strike back-room deals in favour of the Qatar 2022 bid.

The England 2018 bid advised Garcia to speak to Kenny Tipton and she wrote to him personally offering to give evidence, but sources say he declined to contact her.

A senior insider from the England bid said: “It makes you wonder about who else he didn’t speak to.”

The source added that it was an “outright lie” that Bin Hammam had no role in securing the World Cup. “Everyone knew, everyone absolutely knew” that he had played a pivotal role, the source said.

Fresh documents from the Fifa Files show that Bin Hammam’s closest aides discussed a second vote-swapping deal between Qatar and the Spain/Portugal team who were bidding for the 2018 competition. “i do know that qatar and spain swapped votes,” an aide wrote in one message.

An executive from the England 2018 bid was told by a member of Fifa’s executive committee (Exco) that he would be voting for Spain/ Portugal as part of the pact struck by Bin Hammam.

“I am with Bin Hammam and he has told me to vote for Spain/Portugal,” the Exco member is reported to have said.

The English executive gave this evidence to Garcia but Eckert’s judgment does not address repeated allegations that Qatar and Spain swapped votes. Both bids categorically deny that collusion took place.

However, the electronic messages reveal that Bin Hammam’s closest staff revered him as a hero for his role in winning the bid for Qatar. Days after the victory Michelle Chai, assistant general secretary of the Asian football confederation — of which Bin Hammam was president — wrote: “ppl can say what they want about the bid but he did it... i thk he is proud too.”

Chai later wrote : “when you thk about it this must be his biggest legacy. i mean dreams of millions and millions of people.”

Jenny Be, a close personal aide of Bin Hammam, replied: “let him enjoy his moments. he is hero.”

The electronic messages reveal that Bin Hammam’s private staff shredded all his correspondence and personal files from the period directly leading up to Fifa’s decision to award the 2022 tournament to Qatar. Be instructed a secretary: “shred anything that u feel is ‘sensitive’... and will be used against him or to tarnish him.”

The Fifa summary of Garcia’s investigation shows no sign of critical pieces of evidence from this newspaper’s Fifa Files. It does not mention the $450,000 paid by Bin Hammam to Trinidad and Tobago’s football supremo, Jack Warner, in the period before the ballot.

Nor does it address this newspaper’s evidence that the Qatar World Cup bid committee offered the son of an Exco voter $1m to host a dinner — despite acknowledging that the Fifa investigation was triggered two years ago by the The Sunday Times report exposing that deal.

The official Qatar bid committee denies all wrongdoing and insists that Bin Hammam played no “official or unofficial” role in its campaign.

Kenny Tipton declined to comment on her meeting with Bin Hammam when contacted last week.

Reinhard Rauball, president of Germany’s football league, said Uefa, the European football association, would have to consider leaving Fifa if it does not publish Garcia’s report in full. He said Fifa should divulge what was not evaluated in the report and “whether it was justified to leave these things out”.

Fifa confirmed yesterday that Garcia has lodged an appeal against Eckert’s judgment.

Ahmad Darw, one of the 13 members of the organisation’s appeals committee, is among dozens of African officials who took payments from Bin Hammam before the vote.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Hahaha

Well, when people ask why governments and democratic accountability matter, however flawed they might be, point them right to this shitshow.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

peanut- posted:

The Sunday Times wrote a thing about vote-swapping and other stuff left out of the report
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > The Ray Parlour > The FIFA Corruption Thread: He is Hero

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Jenny Be posted:

He is hero.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Equatorial Guinea who were banned from the African cup of nations for fielding an ineligible player are now hosts and automatically qualified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Having them host that is just as hosed up and outrageous as Qatar hosting the WC tbh

(obviously it's CAF not FIFA)