Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Giving me a double adversary as a boss fight in depths I in the the Solar system challenge is a pretty big dick move game.

Ghost Head posted:

If you're happy to use distant admiration in order to slowly whittle away every room, kudos. But I really don't want to waste my time doing something so stupid. And I think a lot of people feel the same way. I'm happy to download a 100% save file when I feel I've done everything a normal human being would want to do.

If you think the blue fly is too slow, use red fly. It does a lot more damage and learning how to to use orbitals to deal damage properly is a pretty useful skill anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Slime posted:

Just don't run over them if you have anything that gives lets you smash rocks/mushrooms/skulls.

Or do because they give you a ton of pills/items.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Well this just happened

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Duct Tape posted:

Well this just happened

What a beautiful scythe !

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone had a run where they took two jera runes to the chest?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

13/f/cali posted:

Press the select button.

Didn't work for me and no way to bind in controls

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is the 1 up shroom still in the game? I haven't seen it once in 30 hours and that's unusual I M O

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I got it like 3 times last night

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Interesting, if incredibly minor note: Those Mulligan-like lumpy kids who drop troll bombs when they die don't actually hurt you if you touch them.

Now I wonder how many other enemies I've been avoiding don't actually deal damage on contact.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I had a run where Little Chad ended up really helping. I was playing as Samson and didn't havy really specatcular items aside from the powerful short range tear item (popo whatever its called). Fortunately I had a bunch of health pick ups, one of the items that makes it so you only take half a heart in the womb onwards and overall solid stats. I would just face tank everything to get good damage and then rely on health pickups to maintain everything.

It wasn't as overpowering a synergy as some of the other item combos, but it was still very nice. I don't think Little Chad is one of the worst items in the game anymore since it really helps Samson and Devil Bum set ups.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rocketlex posted:

Interesting, if incredibly minor note: Those Mulligan-like lumpy kids who drop troll bombs when they die don't actually hurt you if you touch them.

Now I wonder how many other enemies I've been avoiding don't actually deal damage on contact.

Surprisingly, Satan's foot does no contact damage (assuming it doesn't hit you). This means you can safely get a pretty significant amount of damage in with orbitals.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Surprisingly, Satan's foot does no contact damage (assuming it doesn't hit you). This means you can safely get a pretty significant amount of damage in with orbitals.

Same with Mom's Foot! I discovered this during Cat Got Your Tongue when I bumped into it to smack it with the hairball and was pleasantly surprised to not take damage.

Also, the non-aggressive black flies.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just beat Mom's Heart with ??? and something really strange happened. I had built up a good deal of Soul Hearts when I got a Health Decreased pill which completely wiped them out. I was really bummed about my great run being over when I managed to make it to the next level without getting hurt again and...they all came back? Is this intended?

Other observations: Gurdy's Mom is hilariously busted on the Vita. The framerate dips down into the single digits as soon as she barfs and it just stays there. Also Taurus might just be the most broken item in the game. Invincibility and insta-kill almost any enemy in almost every room? Yeah sure!

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Any tips on taking on the Suicide King challenge? Its one of my last challenges but it is kicking my rear end.

Still loving the poo poo out of the game, though I really need to pick it up on PC, the slowdown on the Vita can be so very painful.

Yodzilla posted:

I just beat Mom's Heart with ??? and something really strange happened. I had built up a good deal of Soul Hearts when I got a Health Decreased pill which completely wiped them out. I was really bummed about my great run being over when I managed to make it to the next level without getting hurt again and...they all came back? Is this intended?

Sounds like you just got cursed and couldn't see your hearts till you got to the next floor and it wore off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Fully charged Chocolate Ipecac is pretty powerful.

but I didn't have time to use it because my Guppy Hive Flies destroyed It Lives in one second :stare:

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Andrast posted:

Giving me a double adversary as a boss fight in depths I in the the Solar system challenge is a pretty big dick move game.

If you think the blue fly is too slow, use red fly. It does a lot more damage and learning how to to use orbitals to deal damage properly is a pretty useful skill anyway.

It probably is a useful skill, but a whole run of that garbage? With an item unlock gated behind it? Come on now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yes items are locked behind challenges which are often hard and sometimes annoying to do. Welcome to video games.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know everybody in this thread has super beaten the game but I just unlocked the D6 and the Polaroid at the same time and I'm real happy about it :3:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll take solar system over beans or some poo poo like that that basically require you to get lucky with drops for you to be effective. at least solar system gives you consistent damage and all the time in the world to use it.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Ghost Head posted:

It probably is a useful skill, but a whole run of that garbage? With an item unlock gated behind it? Come on now.

You think that's bad (and it's not really, get close, use redfly watch dudes die.) try Cat's got your Tongue.

Getting a third pretty fly also helps a ton on that one.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

omeg posted:

Brimstone with antigravity is... interesting :stare:
Magnetic tears with a high enough firerate is horrifying. You actually start pulling certain enemies like bomb flies towards you. :stare:

Asema posted:

I know everybody in this thread has super beaten the game but I just unlocked the D6 and the Polaroid at the same time and I'm real happy about it :3:
I've only killed Mom's Heart for the first time last night. So you're ahead of someone buddy! :golfclap:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cat's got your tongue is incredible how bad that loving challenge is

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Toxxupation posted:

cat's got your tongue is incredible how bad that loving challenge is

even when using a controller it's a gigantic crapshoot because chances are you're going to clip into so much random poo poo in an effort to swing that terrible hairball

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AbbadonOfHell posted:

You think that's bad (and it's not really, get close, use redfly watch dudes die.) try Cat's got your Tongue.

That challenge taught me to properly appreciate Krampus' head.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Got 2/3 of the way to Guppy, got a Lump of Coal and not the head from Krampus, and picked up a Tick and got an Isaac's Head drop like one room later, but still Family Man down! Co-MVPs to the Infested Baby, Abaddon, and Isaac's terrible pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMdBd-QDco&t=48s

Also after plinking away at stuff for so long, the Glass Cannon challenge is such a joy. I one-shot Super Pride with Book of Belial active and holy poo poo is that satisfying. Got that first try, now all I've got left is Suicide King~

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Andrast posted:

That challenge taught me to properly appreciate Krampus' head.

Yeah I had no problem with this challenge thanks to Krampus' head. I was doing alright until I got that item as well. I still hate solar system more.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Guess who was really smart and picked up Loki's Horns with Ipecac?

I said as I was going toward it, "This is really bad."

Still killed Stan though. I really can't wait until I unlock guaranteed Sheol/Cathedral access.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Now that I've unlocked guaranteed Sheol/Cathedral, what's my next step? I beat Isaac with Lazarus.

Beat Sheol previously with Azzie, Isaac and Eve (I think).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheModernAmerican posted:

Still killed Stan though. I really can't wait until I unlock guaranteed Sheol/Cathedral access.

Try Loki's Horns with Dr. Fetus and Quad Shot. Unless you have Pyromaniac there's zero chance of avoiding damage.

Kurtofan posted:

Now that I've unlocked guaranteed Sheol/Cathedral, what's my next step? I beat Isaac with Lazarus.

Beat Sheol previously with Azzie, Isaac and Eve (I think).

Now you have to unlock the Chest and Dark Room. You need to beat Sheol five times to unlock the Dark Room and the Cathedral five times for the Chest.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 16, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I actually really like the Solar System challenge. The flies do a lot of damage and their movement is very predictable, making it fairly easy once you practice a bit. And it does offer some variety from a standard Isaac game.

Head Trauma, on the other hand, can gently caress right off. It takes forever to kill anything in that challenge.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, Solar System is one of the more fun challenges, I probably beat the game faster with it than in a regular game because the red fly especially did about a billion times more damage than what I do in an average attempt.

Should've been left as the only "no manual shooting" challenge though.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Try Loki's Horns with Dr. Fetus and Quad Shot. Unless you have Pyromaniac there's zero chance of avoiding damage.

I picked up Tammy's Head when I had Dr. Fetus. I kept it because of how ridiculous it was.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

TheModernAmerican posted:

I didn't know Stan was in this game!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I just had the best win as azazel. Accidentally picked up ipecac just before mom, and then managed to get to the dark room relying on infestation 2,but assuming that I'd never manage to win with nothing but 2 red hearts.

Ludovico technique dropped in the second room. And that's the story of how I got dead boy.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I actually really like the Solar System challenge. The flies do a lot of damage and their movement is very predictable, making it fairly easy once you practice a bit. And it does offer some variety from a standard Isaac game.

Head Trauma, on the other hand, can gently caress right off. It takes forever to kill anything in that challenge.

The worst part of Head trauma to me is how counter-intuitive it is sometimes.

1) you normally shoot backwards, so the tears cross earlier/closer to your body

2) the tear knockback push enemies into you sometimes because of the angle

3) the confusion effect while helpful sometimes suspends animation that has already gone off, meaning once confusion ends the enemy projectiles suddenly just shoot, regardless of where the body of the enemy actually is now

#2 really pissed me off the most though, because of the nature of devil deals i.e. if you take heart damage on this floor, good luck

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Jusupov posted:

Anyone had a run where they took two jera runes to the chest?

Blank Card works on runes. You could theoretically have 4 doubles with you (blank card, jera/jera, battery) when you drop in, plus one every 3 charges (9volt).

You don't get Blank Card/Perthos often but it's basically a better D6.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
G7RO
D4Y3

Going for a Heart clear as Samson, became Lord of the Flies in Necropolis (I think) then Guppy in Womb II. First time I've done either in Rebirth, haven't played much yet. I don't know how seeds work, maybe with more items unlocked you won't get these, but if someone wants both transformations go nuts!

EDIT: You also get Skeleton Key on the second floor and at least three key bums so far. Bomb drops sucked until them though, but now I have a ton.

EDIT: Also triple shot Polyphemus. I don't really know what's going on but I have like 50 flies around me and I killed Satan in about twenty seconds. Oh boy.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just tried Cat Got Your Tongue to see what the complaints were about. Beat it on my first try. Would probably be horrible if you didn't also start with a great space bar item and flight.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Had a weird thing happens, the bottle of pills started to give me cards and only cards.

I had the Card holder with me if it helps (the thing that lets you carry two items).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kurtofan posted:

Had a weird thing happens, the bottle of pills started to give me cards and only cards.

I had the Card holder with me if it helps (the thing that lets you carry two items).

Card holder turns all pills into cards. Conversely the pill bag turns all cards into pills. I think runes get changed as well but I'm not sure.