Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do people hate Pin? He's so easy and doesn't take long to beat either.

Right? This is the first I'm hearing of people not thinking Pin is the easiest boss in the game. You literally just stand at the bottom and he criss cross jumps at 5 miles per hour while you shoot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Right? This is the first I'm hearing of people not thinking Pin is the easiest boss in the game. You literally just stand at the bottom and he criss cross jumps at 5 miles per hour while you shoot him.

And then he explodes when he's not even to the end of his life bar.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I didn't realize it was possible to have trouble with Scolex or Pin. The Haunt is pretty easy too if you just pay attention to his tells.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Manatee Cannon posted:

The bosses that worry me are the Dark one and the Adversary. Whenever I get a double trouble of either I die a little inside.

The Dark One isnt so bad, but the Adversary is a bitch. Double him up and good luck sucker. But he doesnt annoy me as much as the Bloat, like if I die to him I'm like ok, he's just a tough boss. But the Bloat I'm tearing my hair out because I should have seen it coming.

I did just beat the Chest with the Lost though, legit. It was a bitch of a time and I died in the boss rush, but dead cat from a random red chest in cellar 2 was the reason I won basically.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to have trouble with Scolex or Pin. The Haunt is pretty easy too if you just pay attention to his tells.

Haunt has a tell for when he spits a dozen bullets in a fan pattern? That's the only part that gives me any issue unless I don't have any kind of offense and the double ghosts gently caress me over.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I can't figure out why "R U A Wizard" is considered a good pill, it blows. Just ruined a good run because I popped a random pill and it turned out to be that one...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I can't figure out why "R U A Wizard" is considered a good pill, it blows. Just ruined a good run because I popped a random pill and it turned out to be that one...

It's considered a neutral pill, like puberty.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

On the bright side, it does wear off so unless it immediately got you killed it shouldn't really be a run ruiner.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Scolex is a pain since you can only harm his tail, which makes it take forever to kill him, especially if he doesn't stick it up very often.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

It's temporary

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FYI it times out after like 30 seconds or something, so just sit in a room and wait for it to expire.

dis astranagant posted:

Haunt has a tell for when he spits a dozen bullets in a fan pattern? That's the only part that gives me any issue unless I don't have any kind of offense and the double ghosts gently caress me over.

If you just strafe back and forth at the back of the room you can outrun the bullets. The only thing you need to watch out for is running too close to the wall and getting hit by his brimstone. Either way he's a fucker that takes way too long to kill and can really punish you if you slip up.

I think the Widow is more likely to damage me but Widow is actually fun to fight so I don't hate him. Haunt is a waste of my time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The other thing that makes Pin easy is when he stands up forever to launch a single exploding bullet. After that, he's guaranteed to jump toward you from that spot, so all told you get a huge window to pelt him with a ton of tears.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Cellar just kinda sucks because it takes way longer.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i had the worst run of my life today. doing the dead cat lost glitch, first i had to restart at least 100 times (i started tracking after a while) without finding a cat. when i finally find one i do not get a single damage item the whole run. i also get only a single key, which i promptly lose to one of those key blocks that was right next to the door, before sheol. during sheol 12 keys drop, and after that 3 key doubling cards and i ended up with 56 keys and nothing to use them on. the whole run took me 1 long, painful hour. next time i try boss rush and the chest...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

On the bright side, it does wear off so unless it immediately got you killed it shouldn't really be a run ruiner.

Does it wear off over a set period of time, or is it by rooms cleared?

Logan 5 posted:

The Dark One isnt so bad, but the Adversary is a bitch. Double him up and good luck sucker. But he doesnt annoy me as much as the Bloat, like if I die to him I'm like ok, he's just a tough boss. But the Bloat I'm tearing my hair out because I should have seen it coming.

I did just beat the Chest with the Lost though, legit. It was a bitch of a time and I died in the boss rush, but dead cat from a random red chest in cellar 2 was the reason I won basically.

I can't even see the Dark One when he dims the lights. Have the same problem with spiders during the curse of darkness.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've had it wear off in the middle of a room and I believe without having cleared any rooms so you should be able to just wait it out. It wouldn't surprise me if it were related to shots fired but I believe it is timed.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

I just let him blast me in the face with his blood laser

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Davincie posted:

i had the worst run of my life today. doing the dead cat lost glitch, first i had to restart at least 100 times (i started tracking after a while) without finding a cat. when i finally find one i do not get a single damage item the whole run. i also get only a single key, which i promptly lose to one of those key blocks that was right next to the door, before sheol. during sheol 12 keys drop, and after that 3 key doubling cards and i ended up with 56 keys and nothing to use them on. the whole run took me 1 long, painful hour. next time i try boss rush and the chest...

Didn't that glitch get patched?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This happened to me today. I held down r asap.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't even see the Dark One when he dims the lights. Have the same problem with spiders during the curse of darkness.

I just had a good Lost run end from a Dark One. I blame the punching bag I had though, he had been focusing on that so I was lil'brimstoning him away and then bam, he fire straight at me instead.

I turned my gamma way up, I got sick of not actually seeing anything

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 16, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Man you might have had a good run there. Krampus' head as Lost is pretty huge letting you obliterate bosses and troublesome rooms, plus you get Krampus out of the way early and all future devil deals will be the real thing. Krampus really doesn't have that much HP so beating him with base damage is feasible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Beat Suicide King on my first try. No big deal, smirk smirk smug smug.

Ok but seriously, I got three Guppy items and Dark Bum and still barely scraped through. Isaac is really not a good boss to fight with that loadout.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just found Abaddon in a devil room for the first time and holy poo poo is it a fantastic item for Azazel.

Abaddon's great for Azazel, but it's perfect for Eve.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Head Trauma challenge + Dr Fetus :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VpY7o2mX7s

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Why would you quit over a chance to get a damage boost or one of the best spacebar items in the game? :confused:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can see him no problem, but that's probably because I turned the brightness up to 130 due to darkness curses.

And, yeah, the Cellar's big issue is that everything is way to strong for being the first or second level especially the spiders. You can do near-perfectly and then still take damage because it takes way too long to work though big spiders. I better have some really good item that can potentially carry a run or some floor-nuking item I will reset if I get a 2x2 room of spiders because gently caress that poo poo.

Cellar bosses are a joke though. Pin's fine because I quickly figured out "stand at bottom, dodge left or right" and he hits me maybe once for three fights. Scolex is just an annoying Pin due to the whole "only his tail is vulnerable" but the same trick works on him. The Haunt I only have two problems with: the double 'Lil Haunt and the way he snaps/pops around when you hit him with a status effect. Other than that it's just "sit, wait, win" for me.

The Cellar bosses are annoying, but I don't mind them. The boss I really hate is Mask of Infamy. There are bosses I find harder and I respect or fear them. Mask? I simply hate him with a searing passion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

13/f/cali posted:

I've had it wear off in the middle of a room and I believe without having cleared any rooms so you should be able to just wait it out. It wouldn't surprise me if it were related to shots fired but I believe it is timed.

the wizard pill is definitely just time-based. has nothing to do with shots or rooms cleared.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Alabaster White posted:

The Haunt is pretty easy too if you just pay attention to his tells.

The real boss fight is the two little ghosts at once phase. The thing that comes after that is just a victory lap.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you quit over a chance to get a damage boost or one of the best spacebar items in the game? :confused:

I didn't really 'let' him so much as that's what 'happened immediately', should have clarified

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there any site out there that has exact number values for the HP all the enemies/bosses have, even if it's just for the original version of the game?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AnonSpore posted:

The real boss fight is the two little ghosts at once phase. The thing that comes after that is just a victory lap.

A victory lap that takes too much time and can still chip away at your health. But yeah, the two-haunt stage is the real dangerous part.

Absolutely magical when you see him on later rooms when you can just nuke the fucker. Ditto with Pin. One of my favorite moments was the Slow Roll challenge when I watched an attack fly one-shot Pin.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Alkydere posted:

The boss I really hate is Mask of Infamy. There are bosses I find harder and I respect or fear them. Mask? I simply hate him with a searing passion.

Mask of Infamy is the worst. Just the absolute worst. Either you don't have piercing tears and you have to chase his second form around forever or you do and he's a complete pushover. Neither outcome is satisfying. He's just a completely terrible boss and I hate seeing him.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Beat Suicide King on my first try. No big deal, smirk smirk smug smug.

Ok but seriously, I got three Guppy items and Dark Bum and still barely scraped through. Isaac is really not a good boss to fight with that loadout.

Oh Christ, that one goes all the way to the Cathedral? I guess the best hope is getting Mom's Knife or Brimstone early. It'd certainly speed things along, anyway.

I'm glad Solar System only went to the Heart, but if I hadn't gotten a Bible before the Depths, I don't think I would've ever beaten it. I think I must've fought about 30 god drat mini Masks of Infamy. :mad:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I think it's pretty telling that the Dark Room, which has potentially heinous rooms like 2x Cage, 2x Adversary, and all four horsemen at once, can have just a single Haunt in the room instead. gently caress the Haunt, my hatred it for burns like a nuclear fire.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Kooriken posted:

Bloat is just an rear end in a top hat no matter what. Not your fault you got hit by one of the 500 bullshit ways he could kill you.

Now that I've done the boss rush with most of the characters I'm pretty used to fighting the Bloat in that room. I found that it works really well to stay behind the 2x2 rock formation north of where he spawns. He can't jump over rocks so it is possible to keep him stuck on those rocks and just whittle him down, watching out for his 8-way shots and flying eyes. Unfortunately if you get Champion Bloat he might destroy the rocks with his ipecac shots.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kooriken posted:

Mask of Infamy is the worst. Just the absolute worst. Either you don't have piercing tears and you have to chase his second form around forever or you do and he's a complete pushover. Neither outcome is satisfying. He's just a completely terrible boss and I hate seeing him.

It's really subtle but Mask of Infamy's speed is slightly higher when it is in chase mode, and if you get out of the way of its chase then it has to keep going until it hits an obstacle. Making sure to be in its line of sight when it does so and turns around practically guarantees it will immediately launch another chase, enabling you to keep pounding it with tears risk-free so long as you get the setup started and don't slip up and let it out of the loop.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
well, another good The Lost run failed but this time due to mega fatty's instant buttstomp
i had like 5 speed up pills on me and i was circling yet i still couldn't avoid him

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
His stomp doesn't seem to care about how fast you are because its basically instant. You just have to be far enough away from him that he can't use it, otherwise you're always at risk of getting hit.

So of course there are rooms filled with multiple mega fatties later on and not enough space between them to avoid the slams.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just had a run where I immediately got burning laser orbiting tears. Pretty cool I thought! Yeah I'm set!

Then I got Curse of Darkness and the game just loving broke. For whatever reason with that combination the Vita is unable to render my shots so the only way I could tell if I was hitting anything was if fire procced. And while the darkness on a Vita is tough enough that combination also made the screen flash a crazy combination of orange and white every other shot. I stumbled into a room packed with rocks, explosives, and those heart & mask things and I could't tell what the gently caress was going on. Dead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

They are incredibly obnoxious with base damage as anyone other than Azazel, who chumps them (and most other things). So long as you have bombs, the Haunt itself is a breeze since it gets stuck on them and can't avoid the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Using bombs on a first floor boss is a luxury I'm never really able to afford.