Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
So it's just wider/taller but a bit shorter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MrChips posted:

Give it 18 months or so and I guaran-loving-tee that there will be a 2GC on the market

I just want an M235i with little RX-8 doors so that I can stuff a baby seat back there.

Oh well, if things go right I'll have a 335i tomorrow. I'll get used to driving a big car I guess.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chemmy posted:

I just want an M235i with little RX-8 doors so that I can stuff a baby seat back there.

The 2 series is kinda like the 1 series is kinda like the E46 and older 3 series in that the only thing the back seats in any of them are useful for is baby seats. Even in my 4 door E46, the rear seats are practically vestigal - they're not really that much better than the rear seats in an FC RX-7 2+2.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 15, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Woot beater 5 valve cover leak has gotten bad enough to smoke steadily at idle...

Ugh I think I'm going to do a top end gasket and pcv system refresh.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

There's a four-door in the works but rumor is it'll be FWD.

Which I'm not really opposed too, I'd like a small efficient car that's also really nice.

It's a hatchback but it's a completely different car built on the mini platform. I don't think there's any model room for a4 door sedan with only 7.5 inches in length between the 2 coupe and 3 sedan as it is. I'm biased by owning an F30 but I think the 2 looks too squashed and stumpy

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

The 2 series is kinda like the 1 series is kinda like the E46 and older 3 series in that the only thing the back seats in any of them are useful for is baby seats. Even in my 4 door E46, the rear seats are practically vestigal - they're not really that much better than the rear seats in an FC RX-7 2+2.

I know, but that'd be enough for me and I'd prefer the smaller 2 series over the full blown 3.

I'm sure I'll get over it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've had a few six foot tall men sit in the back of my 135 just fine. I don't know how much difference there is between the E82 and F20.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I've transported pretty big people in the back seat of my E30, behind the driver's seat is pretty tight but that's because I have the seat all the way back due to my long rear end legs. The sedans should be no worse than the back seat of any other compact car of the era

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
How bad of an idea is an e34 535i 5 speed with 240k miles?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

HotCanadianChick posted:

I hear people says this but never understand it. I used to carpool 1hr one way in the back of a e46 sedan. I didn't find it too uncomfortable at 5 11nor did my 6ish foot tall friends.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

What kind of monsters do you transport? I'm 6'3 and my brother is 6'4, and while driving, he can sit behind me in the back seat of my e46 Coupe with absolutely no cramping for either of us.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

vs

As per usual you could not be any more wrong

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How good is the AWD system on the E30 325iX? Does it make it significantly less fun in the dry?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

rscott posted:

vs

Yeah, really. I think people like pretend their BMWs are so tiny that no one can fit in the back.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even in my 4 door E46, the rear seats are practically vestigal - they're not really that much better than the rear seats in an FC RX-7 2+2.

rscott posted:

vs

Wow, that was an icy hyperbole slam. :iceburn:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Every time I clean the interior of my E46 coupe I am reminded of just how roomy the back seat is (at least for how large the car is). I'm 6'1" and I would be perfectly comfortable back there for a longish trip, even with the seats nearly all the way back.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have an E46 convertible and it's really cramped back there but I assume the coupe is probably at least a little bit more roomy.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
There's no Mini thread so this is the appropriate place right

My boyfriend is looking into a 2015 Mini Cooper S (to buy for the long term, not to lease). I understand the earlier generations were not great in terms of reliability; does anyone know if Mini/BMW has improved since then? I really hope so because I test drove one and it was surprisingly fun on the streets of SF. The other alternative he's considering is a GLA250, which I find appalling :smith:

e: if the 1-series is babby's first BMW the F56 must be positively embryonic

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

crutt posted:

How bad of an idea is an e34 535i 5 speed with 240k miles?

As with every BMW, maintenance is key. Has it been serviced regularly? If it has, the M30 engine in that car is bulletproof and will turn 300,000 miles easily.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Banjo bolts on the M30 are the biggest killer of the motor because of oil starvation.

Otherwise its the "big block" of the BMW motors and will run for ever. If its an auto the transmission behind it is pretty bullet proof as well. The only downside is they are pigs on fuel.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What kind of monsters do you transport? I'm 6'3 and my brother is 6'4, and while driving, he can sit behind me in the back seat of my e46 Coupe with absolutely no cramping for either of us.

I'm 5'10" and drive with the driver's seat fairly far forward (short legs, 30" inseam) and my wife's 5'2" friend still finds sitting behind me to be cramped. The back seats of the 2001 Civic 4 door we had before this had more legroom. My 1986 Corolla GT-S coupe also had more rear legroom. My ex-roommate's E30 also had more legroom. I found sitting in the backs of all of those cars more comfortable sitting in the back of my E46 and as I mentioned, I am by no means tall.

Maybe everyone has different standards of what they feel is 'roomy enough' and/or haven't driven enough other, much smaller cars that still managed to have more room in the rear? I'm not complaining, mind, just noting that it doesn't have a lot of legroom compared to other compact sedans. If my knees are touching the back of the seat in front of me, I feel cramped.

rscott posted:

vs

I spent an hour and a half each way, round trip, sitting in the back seat(s)* of a 2+2 FC and I stand by my statement. :colbert:

*plural because I had to sit sideways with my butt in one seat and my feet in the other because I was literally unable to fit my feet into either rear footwell because the distance between the front seatback and the rear seat was less than the size of my leg.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2014

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
My wife has a 2008 135i with the sport package, I'm looking for winter tires for it, she's at work right now so I can't check, but when I do a search by make/model it says they are a staggered tire size 245/35 18 rear, 215/40 18 front, and it only shows me summer tires, are winter tires hard to find in this size, or do I need to get another size?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Brock Landers posted:

As with every BMW, maintenance is key. Has it been serviced regularly? If it has, the M30 engine in that car is bulletproof and will turn 300,000 miles easily.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4762652072.html

Looks a bit rough. I don't know.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need to do struts on my E36 318i, and am having difficulty finding parts. Do quick strut kits not exist for these cars? I've also noticed a complete lack of factory ride height replacement springs.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

That looks like an honest $1200-$1500 E34 5-Series. That's not saying it won't need some attention, but it doesn't look ratted out. The interiors of that era BMW weren't their best. Cheaper plastics and adhesives meant things like shrunken door cards, saggy headliners, and broken interior parts are very common, even on well cared for cars. Do you have a place to work on it and do you have the desire to do some of the work yourself? Any older BMW is not going to be a "gas and oil change only" type of car.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
It would be a full on project car. I already have a DD (road master wagon). I'd be doing all the work myself. I've always wanted am e30 but with their prices I figure an e34 wouldn't be bad. Plus I think they look great.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

crutt posted:

It would be a full on project car. I already have a DD (road master wagon). I'd be doing all the work myself. I've always wanted am e30 but with their prices I figure an e34 wouldn't be bad. Plus I think they look great.

If you buy it and there are no records, assume:

- it will need a valve adjustment
- while adjusting the valves, check the banjo bolts. Google will know what to check and how
- check the oil pump mounting bolts
- the cooling systems on that engine was much better than the cars that followed but it's a good idea to check and replace any cracked plastic things or spongy hoses
- front thrust arms might be worn. Presents as a shimmy under braking
- miles of wiring mean there will probably be electrical issues from time to time
- the M30 was never a smooth idling engine, even when new. The idle should be steady, but the car might shake a little bit. Unless it's causing drivability issues, it's normal

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need to do struts on my E36 318i, and am having difficulty finding parts. Do quick strut kits not exist for these cars? I've also noticed a complete lack of factory ride height replacement springs.

Why would you replace the springs if they aren't broken?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Why would you replace the springs if they aren't broken?

Because I'm lazy and willing to pay extra to not have to gently caress around with swapping springs onto a new strut?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's so easy to swap, that's why nobody sells strut and springs as a fully assembly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What cars use the same ECU 88 pin output as the E30 M42 cars? I need a cheap 88 pin ECU. Gonna hack one up to make a breakout board for Megasquirt using the stock harness.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Admirable Gusto posted:

There's no Mini thread so this is the appropriate place right

My boyfriend is looking into a 2015 Mini Cooper S (to buy for the long term, not to lease). I understand the earlier generations were not great in terms of reliability; does anyone know if Mini/BMW has improved since then? I really hope so because I test drove one and it was surprisingly fun on the streets of SF. The other alternative he's considering is a GLA250, which I find appalling :smith:

e: if the 1-series is babby's first BMW the F56 must be positively embryonic

They're actually very reliable on the whole, its just one particular generation and model of Mini, specifically the early R56 (2006-2014 Cooper S) that became notorious for timing chain tensioner failures. Which if left unchecked would basically destroy the engine, hence the infamy of the "death rattle". No other Mini has been affected by this to the same scale, and the issue was resolved with new tensioners from about 2009 onward. The F56 Mini has a completely new engine which does not suffer from the issue.

Its worth mentioning that this wasn't limited to Minis either, other cars that used the same engine (such as the Peugeot 207 and the Citroen DS3) suffered from the same issue.

I'm not sure if its the same with the newer models, but my generation of Cooper S (R56, yes the same one that had the tensioner problem) goes through oil pretty quickly, so its really important you check and top up your oil. Mine gets through about a litre every 1200 miles or so.

Oh, and whatever you do for the love of god don't get both sport suspension and run flat tyres.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 16, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BlackMK4 posted:

What cars use the same ECU 88 pin output as the E30 M42 cars? I need a cheap 88 pin ECU. Gonna hack one up to make a breakout board for Megasquirt using the stock harness.

gently caress I just tossed one a couple of weeks ago I picked up at the yards.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought the M42 cars used a different one than the rest of the 6 cylinder cars. I'm not 100% but I thought it was a newer version of Motronic than the rest.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

IuniusBrutus posted:

Because I'm lazy and willing to pay extra to not have to gently caress around with swapping springs onto a new strut?
You'll have to swap the new springs onto the new struts regardless. And your existing springs are fine. Just rent spring compressors. It takes a couple minutes per corner.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thanks, this is really helpful

Ludicro posted:

Oh, and whatever you do for the love of god don't get both sport suspension and run flat tyres.

We'll probably get the adaptive dampers. Don't run flats come standard on all Minis at this point? I was planning to have them swapped out as soon as possible

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Changed the oil in my (manual) gearbox a few days ago, and shifts have become noticeably nicer. It's "sealed for life" - do people actually run, say, 200k on the same gearbox oil with success? Mine had gone 130kkm and I presume it's the original oil.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Today in meatpimp's lessons, I show you how to take a nice looking BMW and make it look like a taxi in one easy step.

First, start out with a nice looking E39 on M-pars:

Then, just add the factory wheels with Winter tires:

VOILA! Taxi.

Honestly, though, these are both stock sizes of tires for an E39:

265/40-18 on the left and 215/60-16 on the right. What a difference. :smith:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 16, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BrokenKnucklez posted:

gently caress I just tossed one a couple of weeks ago I picked up at the yards.

Ah well.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I thought the M42 cars used a different one than the rest of the 6 cylinder cars. I'm not 100% but I thought it was a newer version of Motronic than the rest.

Yup, the M20 cars use 55 pins. I think the OBD1 E36 uses the motronic 88 pin and maybe some Hyundais. I'll look after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Admirable Gusto posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful

We'll probably get the adaptive dampers. Don't run flats come standard on all Minis at this point? I was planning to have them swapped out as soon as possible

Ah thats fair enough. I'm not sure to be honest, when I was having a play with customising a car on the Mini website runflats were a selectable option that was not enabled by default. I know they come standard with BMWs and my generation of Cooper S when it was in production.

I've got a triple whammy of sports suspension, 17 inch rims and runflat tyres, and every time I go over a pothole or some bumpy country road its like being on the bridge of the Enterprise when its being shot at.